Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 262
  1. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    4,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I understand wanting to have the right mentality. Nobody is suggesting the team throw the game, that we don’t want to win, the players don’t try to win, or that winning is impossible. Only that if we are to look at where we are to date, it would appear we have some work to do before we should expect to consistently to win road games against top 4-5 sides in MLS. Our roster needs some improvement and the team still needs more cohesion.

    If we just look at everything as winning the next game with a blind eye to everything else it’s like staring a tree but losing sight of an entire forest. I want the club thinking long term. And how it gets back to being as dominant as it was in 2017.
    Yes, 'expecting' a win here is a bit silly.

    A point would be a great result, just like getting a point on the road is a good result in most leagues in the world.

  2. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    692
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Yes, 'expecting' a win here is a bit silly.

    A point would be a great result, just like getting a point on the road is a good result in most leagues in the world.
    Considering MLS has one of the most skewed home advantages, yep.

  3. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    2,665
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Over the last couple of years, TFC has done well at CenturyLink. I'm hoping for a win, but would be satisfied with a tie. Would be disappointed in a loss.

  4. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Victoria BC formerly from Hamilton
    Posts
    1,373
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Yes, 'expecting' a win here is a bit silly.

    A point would be a great result, just like getting a point on the road is a good result in most leagues in the world.
    Your talking about average teams - consistent winning teams like Bayern, Barca, Celtic, PSG, Liverpool/Man City ...they expect to win every game and their fans demand it. That’s the mentality that we should foster for TFC. Those bastards beat us in our own stadium to win the Cup. we should beat them every chance we have to make up for it.

    It’s what worries me about the Toronto sport mentality - they allowed the Leafs to lose for 50+ years. We need to be vigilant amd demanding. 😎

  5. #35
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,030
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Your talking about average teams - consistent winning teams like Bayern, Barca, Celtic, PSG, Liverpool/Man City ...they expect to win every game and their fans demand it.
    Non parity leagues without conferences and teams who's longest travel is less then our shortest.

    Ask their supporters about away results in the Euro competitions.

  6. #36
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    891
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Last week I predicted a 3-0 win. I truly felt we would have gotten that if it wasn't for Bono's mistake.
    Seattle is a good team but they've played only weak opponents so far so we will also be a good test for them. They also are playing in Colorado on Wednesday. I think we will regroup and come out strong this game. I think Vanney will be tough on the guys to not make individual mistakes. I'm hoping for a 2-1 win.
    Last edited by DinamoTFC; 04-09-2019 at 10:45 AM.

  7. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    692
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Non parity leagues without conferences and teams who's longest travel is less then our shortest.

    Ask their supporters about away results in the Euro competitions.
    To illustrate:

    In 2016 only 17% of away matches in MLS ended with the visiting team taking away all 3 points. I’m not sure if someone has calculated the values for 2017/2018, but MLS teams do still suffer with immense distances without private jets, terrible weather and weather disparity, and even playing at altitude.

    I’m sure most European sides don’t want to fly over to Baku or play on cow pastures in Kazakhstan. Just look at Red Star in the CL group stages this year.

    I’d like a win too, but anything can happen.

  8. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Section 105
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    hope they go out early to try and get over the flight. Glad it's early so we don't have to play at the abnormal times of 10 to midnight....

  9. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    4,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    To illustrate:

    In 2016 only 17% of away matches in MLS ended with the visiting team taking away all 3 points. I’m not sure if someone has calculated the values for 2017/2018, but MLS teams do still suffer with immense distances without private jets, terrible weather and weather disparity, and even playing at altitude.

    I’m sure most European sides don’t want to fly over to Baku or play on cow pastures in Kazakhstan. Just look at Red Star in the CL group stages this year.

    I’d like a win too, but anything can happen.
    Exactly.

    Obviously I want to win, but if we draw I'd be more than satisfied, and I don't think that's a 'bad mentality,' it's just being realistic.

  10. #40
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere, Anywhere.
    Posts
    9,488
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Exactly.

    Obviously I want to win, but if we draw I'd be more than satisfied, and I don't think that's a 'bad mentality,' it's just being realistic.
    Never accept failure in life and that is what exactly a draw is. Only be satisfied with victory and nothing else. 3 puts or die.

    Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

  11. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    10,682
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Never accept failure in life and that is what exactly a draw is. Only be satisfied with victory and nothing else. 3 puts or die.
    You know, interesting thing about this win every game mentality.... a lot of losing clubs have it too.

    I still remember all those deadline deals the leafs made in the 90’s and the championships that followed. That myopic desire to always win without any big picture thinking really left a lasting legacy.

  12. #42
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,057
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There is a big difference in life between effort and outcomes.

    I expect 100% effort and a strong game plan on Saturday, same as every game.

    The outcome will be what it will be.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  13. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,866
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Never accept failure in life and that is what exactly a draw is. Only be satisfied with victory and nothing else. 3 puts or die.
    If TFC drew Man City, full line ups, would that be a failure for TFC? For most, it would be a huge achievement. But the draw against Chicago, that was a failure.

  14. #44
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    with perpetual hope
    Posts
    3,538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Never accept failure in life and that is what exactly a draw is. Only be satisfied with victory and nothing else. 3 puts or die.
    Have to agree , we’re not the blue jays rebuilding till the end of time but gladly taking your $ . If we tie or lose only happy if it’s a all out fight to the finish . ..that’s why we pay athletes .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

  15. #45
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,057
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    If TFC drew Man City, full line ups, would that be a failure for TFC? For most, it would be a huge achievement. But the draw against Chicago, that was a failure.
    Sorry, no. I look around the league and I see all kinds of crazy games and crazy results. We want these narratives like “Chicago sucks” to be true, but they aren’t.

    We were the better team Saturday, but not by a lot. TFC dominated the first half but really they played us even in the second half. They had a decent bend but don’t break gameplan, put 10 behind the ball, chopped Pozo and Altidore like everyone knew they would and everyone else will. Scored an absolute beauty of a first goal against the run of play (which everyone except me somehow is convinced was only the result of a goalkeeping error- sorry, that was only a part of it, and not the most important part)

    It wasn’t failure, and frankly the wins against NE and Philly weren’t success either, not in the 2017 meaning of the word.

    We have a lot of work to do, and with 10 points, a bit of breathing space to do it.

    ps the Bono story from Saturday has become toxic. It's counterproductive. Alex has needed to sit since last summer for a lot of reasons, but everyone piling on the guy because Chicago made an incredible play that probably would have exposed 90% of MLS keepers isn’t helpful to his confidence if he does sit. He actually had an OK game Saturday.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  16. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    10,682
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^ okay I agree it’s not a “last game” thing but a longer run of performance with Bono. That said, I think his positioning was clearly in error.

  17. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Sorry, no. I look around the league and I see all kinds of crazy games and crazy results. We want these narratives like “Chicago sucks” to be true, but they aren’t.

    We were the better team Saturday, but not by a lot. TFC dominated the first half but really they played us even in the second half. They had a decent bend but don’t break gameplan, put 10 behind the ball, chopped Pozo and Altidore like everyone knew they would and everyone else will. Scored an absolute beauty of a first goal against the run of play (which everyone except me somehow is convinced was only the result of a goalkeeping error- sorry, that was only a part of it, and not the most important part)

    It wasn’t failure, and frankly the wins against NE and Philly weren’t success either, not in the 2017 meaning of the word.

    We have a lot of work to do, and with 10 points, a bit of breathing space to do it.

    ps the Bono story from Saturday has become toxic. It's counterproductive. Alex has needed to sit since last summer for a lot of reasons, but everyone piling on the guy because Chicago made an incredible play that probably would have exposed 90% of MLS keepers isn’t helpful to his confidence if he does sit. He actually had an OK game Saturday.
    bono had far better service from the defence this week over last. against nyc he was forced to just clear it more times than he should have. im not sure if a different keeper can do better with what was given to him during nyc. the team was able to play off bono's distribution far better this week, obviously they cooked something up in the lab to address that. getting that to result in wins should be this weeks homework. everyone wants a win. if thats with bono...great. if thats with someone else....also great.

  18. #48
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,057
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    ^ okay I agree it’s not a “last game” thing but a longer run of performance with Bono. That said, I think his positioning was clearly in error.
    He panicked, but it was because Chicago sprang a fantastic attack out of nothing/nowhere. It was a small m mistake, not a howler.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  19. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,701
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Bono's mistake wasn't disgustingly bad, but it did cost us a goal and if you cost us a goal I'll call that a big m mistake.

    Bono has needed to sit for a long time. The Mistake he made last match is just another illustration of why.

  20. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    48
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Non parity leagues without conferences and teams who's longest travel is less then our shortest.

    Ask their supporters about away results in the Euro competitions.
    Don't even need to ask supporters, the greatest manager of all time in Sir Alex consistently said in Europe that a draw away is a good result. Win the home games and just grab a draw away. It is the exact same in the MLS.

  21. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    4,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I just want to exactly clarify my point so there's no confusion.

    I'm not at all saying we should play for the draw, as in, go there and play 10 behind the ball, bunker etc. We should of course go and try to play our game and try to control the rhythm and set the pace. We go there of course trying to win. But, if in doing that, we only get a draw, I would not be disappointed in the slightest (barring some weird event like we completely and utterly dominate and really should win but don't, but I don't see that happening), and then if we do win it's just chocolate frosting on everything.

    And remember, this is Seattle we're talking about there, which is a good team and a very long flight. If this was away to Columbus I would feel we should consider a win more strongly possible. But for Seattle, I don't see why anyone should be disappointed with 'only' a draw.

  22. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    807
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The first game I ever watched, Defoe scored 2 goals vs Seattle. Hence my username, which is a bit out of date, lol.

  23. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    4,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    The first game I ever watched, Defoe scored 2 goals vs Seattle. Hence my username, which is a bit out of date, lol.
    Yes, we have, somewhat strangely, had a lot of success in that stadium, but that's not technically relevant to this weekend's match.

  24. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brampton
    Posts
    444
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Seattle's game tonight against Colorado has been cancelled due to poor weather...Not good news for TFC

    With extreme weather forecast in the Denver area on Wednesday, the Week 7 match between the Colorado Rapids and the Seattle Sounders has been postponed.
    The match, which was set to be played at Dick's Sporting Goods Park, will now be held on Saturday, September 7 at 9 pm ET.

  25. #55
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,968
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zamperina View Post
    Seattle's game tonight against Colorado has been cancelled due to poor weather...Not good news for TFC

    With extreme weather forecast in the Denver area on Wednesday, the Week 7 match between the Colorado Rapids and the Seattle Sounders has been postponed.
    The match, which was set to be played at Dick's Sporting Goods Park, will now be held on Saturday, September 7 at 9 pm ET.
    But since it's only announced now I assume they still flew there.

  26. #56
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,030
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    On the Seattle announcement

    Due to these circumstances, Sounders FC’s players and technical staff are returning to Seattle

  27. #57
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,057
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Too bad. They are expecting a blizzard. Would have been amusing to watch.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  28. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    10,682
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    In other news: Moor is likely out for the weekend and Auro is still a maybe.

    Looks like it’s going to time for Ciman to prove why he’s here.

  29. #59
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,030
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If we got 3 at the back, there will be a Zavs sighting for sure.

    We can, of course, fully expect TFC supporters to treat his appearance with the forebearance & patience provided the last week or two to pretty much everybody on this team not named Altidore or Bradley.

  30. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    If we got 3 at the back, there will be a Zavs sighting for sure.

    We can, of course, fully expect TFC supporters to treat his appearance with the forebearance & patience provided the last week or two to pretty much everybody on this team not named Altidore or Bradley.
    I can't see three at the back without moor, TFC won't even have a backup CB if someone got hurt.

    Auro is questionable too the backline might be scary.

    Laryea and ciman would probably give me a heart attack starting on the right side.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •