But these stories don't mean anything
    When you've got no one to tell them to

Have at It People

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking forward to this one down at Joe's!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope and expect us to put up a good fight but I'll be surprised if this isn't our first loss of the year. Don't think we'll be defensively solid enough vs. Seattle's attack to come away with points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully Auro is back and Westburg gets a crack at starting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if I'd want Westburg's first start to be in a challenging spot like Seattle. After this match there are some easier opponents coming up. Bono does need to show some improvement though.

Seattle plays mid-week in Colorado. Don't know if that will factor much this early in the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I much doubt we can put up 3 goals on the scoresheet to have a very strong chance at a draw, or maybe (just maybe) even more.
    Any less than 3, and I'm afraid this will be our first loss of the season.

...Because seems out of a sci-fi scenario to think we'll not be scored on minimum 2 times in Seattle, as per what our defence and goalkeeping has showed us so far this season.
    I rate our defense places 13-24 in the league (but just because most are very bad), and our goalkeeping places 19-24.

PS: I also doubt Vanney will sit Bono in this one, like he should.
    Probably we must endure 2-3 more weak ass showings in row of Bono, to see Westburg.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    I much doubt we can put up 3 goals on the scoresheet to have a very strong chance at a draw, or maybe (just maybe) even more.
    Any less than 3, and I'm afraid this will be our first loss of the season.

...Because seems out of a sci-fi scenario to think we'll not be scored on minimum 2 times in Seattle, as per what our defence and goalkeeping has showed us so far this season.
    I rate our defense places 13-24 in the league (but just because most are very bad), and our goalkeeping places 19-24.

PS: I also doubt Vanney will sit Bono in this one, like he should.
    Probably we must endure 2-3 more weak ass showings in row of Bono, to see Westburg.
    TFC still has a top ten defense, its just that most defenses in MLS are really bad. Your right about Bono though he has to be bottom five at the moment, its time to give Westburg a shot he has a pretty solid resume.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can hardly wait to see these boards if you lose this game, as we probably will.

It'll be swords at dawn. With 10 points in 5 games.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I can hardly wait to see these boards if you lose this game, as we probably will.

And even if we win, it will be lucky and we will still have the shittiest defense in world football and Osorio will be trash. You know, the usual.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    And even if we win, it will be lucky and we will still have the shittiest defense in world football and Osorio will be trash. You know, the usual.
    Incoming 10 goal Osorio game making him Zidane’s summer galactico signing and 2019-2020 Ballon d’Or recipient.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oso is the new Dero needs his own thread

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

We play Seattle, RSL, Vancouver, LAG & LAFC away.

With the exception of the Vancouver game, we will be lucky to get a point at any of those. (I rate RSL rounding into form eventually + altitude as a loss) People need to tamp down expectations for out of conference away matches.

This is a team bonding exercise. A chance to work on chemistry & cohesion in a hostile environment. A loss is my expectation. A big bad defensive blowout is way more likely then an away win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    Oso is the new Dero needs his own thread
    Lol yeah some serious spurned lover action

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seattle have a mid week in Colorado, might make for tired legs come Saturday, a point is doable

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a draw is doable too. Overall the defense isn't nowhere near as bad as people are making it out. It's much better than last season and pretty solid for about 80-90% of a match. Unfortunately still have a few let downs per match and they're costing us. With solid goalkeeping we probably only allow 2 goals against at this point, maybe 3. Hopefully that is something corrected sooner than later because it will force the defense into by trying to do too much to cover for Bono.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    Lol yeah some serious spurned lover action
    Reality is often less exciting than personal fantasies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think a draw is doable too. Overall the defense isn't nowhere near as bad as people are making it out. It's much better than last season and pretty solid for about 80-90% of a match. Unfortunately still have a few let downs per match and they're costing us. With solid goalkeeping we probably only allow 2 goals against at this point, maybe 3. Hopefully that is something corrected sooner than later because it will force the defense into by trying to do too much to cover for Bono.
    While true, we haven’t played anyone particularly elite yet in terms of attacking talent. Right now we’re giving up goals on mistakes alone. If you add in guys who are bound to break through on occasion even with solid defending, it might look ugly.

But agreed, less of a tire fire than last year. More lineup consistency and less Zavaleta helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    While true, we haven’t played anyone particularly elite yet in terms of attacking talent. Right now we’re giving up goals on mistakes alone. If you add in guys who are bound to break through on occasion even with solid defending, it might look ugly.

But agreed, less of a tire fire than last year. More lineup consistency and less Zavaleta helps
    Did you see Pozo’s comments about last game? He seemed pretty frustrated by Chicago’s “tactics” which he described as “not football.” Maybe a team that isn’t sitting in their own box all game capitalizing on individual mistakes could allow for a bit more opportunity... no penalties in the regular season after all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jazz View Post
    Seattle plays mid-week in Colorado. Don't know if that will factor much this early in the season.
    It might...fingers crossed! Not a short trip; playing at altitude may lead the Seattle players more time to recover and thus possible player rotation in Starting XI...

I think fondly back to the last time Toronto was in Seattle...1-0 thanks to a Jozy penalty, and shorthanded to boot...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At some point, we have to give Zavaleta another chance to show his form again. His form at the end of last season was truly rock bottom.

To an extent that would apply to Bono as well, except I’m not sure if it’s form or simply an overreliance on reflexes rather than making the correct read.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Did you see Pozo’s comments about last game? He seemed pretty frustrated by Chicago’s “tactics” which he described as “not football.” Maybe a team that isn’t sitting in their own box all game capitalizing on individual mistakes could allow for a bit more opportunity... no penalties in the regular season after all.
    It wasn't helped by the officiating. The referee was letting Chicago get away with a lot of pushing, pulling and other contact. Pozuelo will likely need some time to get used to how bad and inconsistent MLS refs can be.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    It wasn't helped by the officiating. The referee was letting Chicago get away with a lot of pushing, pulling and other contact. Pozuelo will likely need some time to get used to how bad and inconsistent MLS refs can be.
    I feel like MLS has collectively had their officiating teams swallow their whistles. The amount of obstruction off the ball and after a going on is ridiculous. And the allowances provided prior to making a call are too much. There’s obstruction of basically any player trying to make a good run in the final third.

Not much of a fan. We need to look to somewhere like Germany as a the mould. No easy calls for people who fall over but attacking play is promoted.

Nobody is going to sell the league on the way Chicago “played” on Saturday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like MLS has collectively had their officiating teams swallow their whistles. The amount of obstruction off the ball and after a going on is ridiculous. And the allowances provided prior to making a call are too much. There’s obstruction of basically any player trying to make a good run in the final third.

Not much of a fan. We need to look to somewhere like Germany as a the mould. No easy calls for people who fall over but attacking play is promoted.

Nobody is going to sell the league on the way Chicago “played” on Saturday.
    I wonder if it’s a symptom of the “let VAR settle everything so you don’t make the wrong call” or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thing is, the tug on the shoulder at the start of the run is killing the sort of offence this team could generate, before the runner has even begun. It was very effective for Chicago and I'm sure PRO is not going to notice it any better in the games ahead.

Our outlet runners will have to find ways to be slippery so that those hands don't find purchase. (starting with wearing a size smaller of jersey, I guess)

Or Jozy could just bulldoze through the defenders like he did on that last charge through the box. That wasn't called, either.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It seems like Jozy has to put up with about twice as much shit to get a call, just because of how strong he is.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    It seems like Jozy has to put up with about twice as much shit to get a call, just because of how strong he is.
    This. It's so frustrating to watch ..even when he's just standing there he'll get a call against him cuz the defender sold it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    We play Seattle, RSL, Vancouver, LAG & LAFC away.

With the exception of the Vancouver game, we will be lucky to get a point at any of those. (I rate RSL rounding into form eventually + altitude as a loss) People need to tamp down expectations for out of conference away matches.

This is a team bonding exercise. A chance to work on chemistry & cohesion in a hostile environment. A loss is my expectation. A big bad defensive blowout is way more likely then an away win.

Eff that..we’ve beaten Seattle away a couple of times...including the Bloody Big Deal season. They are our nemesis and stole one of our MLS Cups. We have to get up for this game and send a proper fucking message...that we are back and a force to be reckoned with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    Seattle have a mid week in Colorado, might make for tired legs come Saturday, a point is doable
    ...We should expect and demand a win. No resting players...play the best 11 we have. This Seattle team is not as good as the record shows. The West conference is not as good as the records show. Will Bruin for eff sake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand wanting to have the right mentality. Nobody is suggesting the team throw the game, that we don’t want to win, the players don’t try to win, or that winning is impossible. Only that if we are to look at where we are to date, it would appear we have some work to do before we should expect to consistently to win road games against top 4-5 sides in MLS. Our roster needs some improvement and the team still needs more cohesion.

If we just look at everything as winning the next game with a blind eye to everything else it’s like staring a tree but losing sight of an entire forest. I want the club thinking long term. And how it gets back to being as dominant as it was in 2017.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand wanting to have the right mentality. Nobody is suggesting the team throw the game, that we don’t want to win, the players don’t try to win, or that winning is impossible. Only that if we are to look at where we are to date, it would appear we have some work to do before we should expect to consistently to win road games against top 4-5 sides in MLS. Our roster needs some improvement and the team still needs more cohesion.

If we just look at everything as winning the next game with a blind eye to everything else it’s like staring a tree but losing sight of an entire forest. I want the club thinking long term. And how it gets back to being as dominant as it was in 2017.
    Exactly. The team doesn’t step onto the pitch thinking they’ll throw games like they did last year during the CCL.

Everyone here wants the team to succeed but how many of you were optimistic during the worst team in the world years? I sure as hell didn’t show up expecting performances like we’ve got in the past few years. I figured if we didn’t get obliterated it was good enough.

But now we have a SS and a cup. We spend more than other teams do. We have a relatively talented squad.

TFC will try to win games, but there’s definitely issues that need to be addressed. We don’t win the cup making the mistakes we’ve been making against MLS 3.0 teams like LAFC.

Spot on post, as usual, ag_futbol.