Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NE did it. The goals were necessary but I think keeping Quintero quiet was the first best step. The attendance is always of note but with Kraft being touted as the best owner of some other franchise that team isn't going anywhere soon. Sorry Boston.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes it's early, but from the standings, TFC are the only team with all points from all games early in the season as SEA vs VAN finished 0-0

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Piatti is out too
    Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    KC is a machine, their team defence is just wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Mtl without Piatti is nothing. SKC is a good team and my pick for Western Conference winner but Mtl is so bad
    Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    5 minutes left in Kansas City , Sporting Kansas City winning 7 -0 and it’s not like Montreal is playing a man down or anything it’s been 11 v 11 the whole game wow!
    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The second goal by Nemeth where he is just standing there for 5 seconds near the penalty spot with nobody around him for 15 yards is possibly indicative of why we don't have Daniel Lovitz anymore.
    That was a sad display the week after Canada played. Seeing the Canadian talent in the back on Montreal just capitulating like that.

But the disappointment on KC for giving up the shutout was an eyebrow raiser. They are seriously serious.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Beita scores for LAFC.
    Love to see him contribute before it was a rout.

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    S J is getting flattened by LAFC too. Remember when the distance between the best and the worst wasn’t that much? Those days are gone it seems
    The offensive side to this league keeps getting improvement without enough focus on the back. There are definitely some teams getting left behind in the off season, not making enough additions and that's enough to lose parity in this ever expanding league. It's a concern.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watch the second goal by Philly, it is eerily similar to goals we tend to give up - with bonus Hagglund content.

Giveaway in own end by defender with odd header or pass from other part of the body but the foot? Check
    Said Defender then faked out? Check
    Next defender goes to ground but gets bypassed? Check
    Toe poke under arm of keeper in the net from 6 yards out? Check

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/ma...s/video/186589
    Accam. A little of "that good" and Cinci back "that bad". Philly will be fun for the fans vs more than half the league. Glad we played them when we did.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfans View Post
    Lovely weather in Columbus ---- another Atlanta loss with zero goals scored.....I "know" we all feel so bad for the most "spoiled" fans in the league.....I mean it took two whole seasons to win the championship, I mean they waited soooo long for success after what seemed like years....ummm months, ummm days, ummm hours, of struggle.....but I'm sure they will handle adversity with dignity, I mean 4 whole games of struggle - I wonder what that must be like as a TFC fan from 2007-2014, (quickly checks AUFC message boards.......nope utter shambles after 4 games......).....stay classy Atlanta, always nice to go back and read how much you piled on TFC after our struggles last year, and boasting how AUFC was the best team ever (nice CCL run by the way).....just know that no one outside of your market is rooting for you to turn this thing around anytime soon......I think I'll go back and watch the Pozuelo highlights again........
    Ya no tears for Hatelanta.

Interesting seeing the diff between the Ohio teams pitches after the same Ohio rainfall.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dallas had a great game vs Salt Lake.

Another example of the offense lopsiding this league.

Salt Lake were stupidly down to 10 men but the Dallas goals were stupendous.

Another example of Rimando's curse. Don't say it's your last season dude. Just retire when you want to. You'll get your props.

Houston kept their focus while Colorado lost their shit. And another poor attendance. No reason I could see, sports competition-wise.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 03-31-2019 at 10:12 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    yes it's early, but from the standings, TFC are the only team with all points from all games early in the season as SEA vs VAN finished 0-0
    Good on Van for that performance. Great for Henry. Good for us to see Seattle blip. But we'll see if they bounce back next week before they host us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Dallas had a great game vs Salt Lake.

Another example of the offense lopsiding this league.

Salt Lake were stupidly down to 10 men but the Dallas goals were stupendous.

Another example of Rimando's curse. Don't say it's your last season dude. Just retire when you want to. You'll get your props.

Houston kept their focus while Colorado lost their shit. And another poor attendance. No reason I could see, sports competition-wise.
    I did some searching and the reasons seemed to be 'the weather is too hot,' and 'the tickets are too expensive.'

Seems pretty whiny to me. I think the FO are doing something wrong with their promotion.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wow. Shambolic defense.

MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That game in Columbus should have been postponed in the second half - the pitch was unplayable but also from what I see, dangerous. There is nothing to learn from in that game for me as far as either team is concerned.
    Just watched the highlights. Yeah that should have gotten called off. Large pools of water where the ball just stopped moving. There is one shot of Guzan wringing water from his gloves. Ref added no extra time and everyone hauled ass into the locker rooms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I did some searching and the reasons seemed to be 'the weather is too hot,' and 'the tickets are too expensive.'

Seems pretty whiny to me. I think the FO are doing something wrong with their promotion.
    There are some real problem franchises right now in terms of attendance where you watch games and the stands look almost completely empty it’s embarrasing really. I’ve watched games from Chicago, Colorado, New England, Columbus and Houston for a few games now and all I see are empty stands with a few scattered people here and there you can actually count how many people are actually in the stands . I’m serious most of these cities there can’t be more than a few hundred people in the stands it’s crazy. At what point are we going to hear rumblings of teams folding ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Next recession.

NASL started contracting in the early 1980s when interest rates spiked to 20%.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^ Next recession.

NASL started contracting in the early 1980s when interest rates spiked to 20%.
    Well hopefully I’m over reacting here and there is money being made in other ways because if some of these teams are relying on their gate to bring in money they can’t be making much money. I lived through that whole original NASL going belly up in 1984 so that’s why when I see these teams with crap attendances I’m always a but fearful that this whole MLS thing can come crashing down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well hopefully I’m over reacting here and there is money being made in other ways because if some of these teams are relying on their gate to bring in money they can’t be making much money. I lived through that whole original NASL going belly up in 1984 so that’s why when I see these teams with crap attendances I’m always a but fearful that this whole MLS thing can come crashing down.
    MLS attendance is historically bad in many markets in the spring and picks up in the summer, but yeah – it currently seems worse than it was before, maybe because it's now so obvious how behind many of those markets are. The biggest disappointment though is Houston; they actually have a great stadium in a great location with a good team. There should be no excuses there, hot weather or not.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watching Orlando is like watchng a basketball game - just tune in for the last 30 minutes.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's some real differences with the original NASL though.
    * salary cap (which NASL only brought in when it was far too late)
    * significant TV rights through SUM
    * much better ownership (you could get an NASL franchise for about $300k in today's dollars, and they opened it up to just about anyone)
    * rules promoting parity
    * it already survived a recession in 2008
    * two whole generations of people who have actually played the game as a major part of the fanbase
    * single entity structure. They can easily ramp down spending in an emergency by eliminating TAM, lowering GAM, or even eliminating DP slots. The league will only fail if most teams fail.

That's not to say that a significant enough downturn wouldn't cause some teams to fold, for an other sports example the NHL lost two of eight teams during the Great Depression leaving the "original six."
    I don't fear for the league anymore though. In 2006 I wasn't so sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zlatan now goes and does the panenka.

Pfffh. We've seen that already

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^NASL risk. I agree with this, except for the SUM part. That is just a different business, they could hive that off anytime. SUM is in some sense a threat to MLS, regardless of who owns it, it competes with the product.

I would add that NASL never had a supporter culture, so there was no “base” to retreat to, and the stadium situations were universally bad.

The thing NASL had, that we will probably never have, was a better “product” (better as in bigger name, more exciting players). We had like 50% of the World Best XI of 1974 in the league in 1978. Plus Pele. Plus an absolute ton of very good other players that played or could play for top clubs in England, Germany and Italy.

Salaries in Europe were a joke in those days, and there was no Saudi or China. We were it.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-01-2019 at 12:36 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watching Orlando is like watchng a basketball game - just tune in for the last 30 minutes.
    With a great atmosphere. For all the press Atlanta, Portland and Seattle get, it seems like it's Orlando that of all the US MLS cities, is really bringing it in the stands game after game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something to remember

Its early days yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something to remember

Its early days yet.
    Except we're basically the same team as 2017 when we dominated, with some actual upgrades in some areas.

I don't think we're going to go undefeated, but I'm definitely drinking the 'we're a top team' kool-aid.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^What??!!

I look at that list of teams ....and I see 4 of the top 6 teams in MLS 2018 in the top 5.

Bring fifth in a 23 team league is somehow a sign that you aren’t a top team?

I draw the exact opposite conclusion of that of the tweeter. Early form mostly really matters.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-01-2019 at 11:35 AM.