Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    We should also praise VAR yesterday, the ref's were making good decisions throughout the game. +1
    cant fully agree with you. Using VAR to go back in time to a foul or an offside ruins the flow of the game and sucks a lot of the life out of the experience in stadium. The first VAR was ruling DeLeon offside, which was way earlier in the play. The result was that in our part of the stadium nobody was sure whether to cheer for Jozy’s Goal or not because we were all wondering if it would be reviewed. They need to get rid of that kind of review. PK’s ok because the play is already stopped, or should be.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 03-30-2019 at 09:02 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next 3 games will be more realistic , Chicago ( with Gaitán) , Seattle ( how do we stop Morris) and a newly inspired Minnsota , please don’t take lightly . Get past this stretch and we’re for real . It’s exciting at least . With an improved goal keep , our D could be solid .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

None of the three teams we have played have really attacked our suspect defence by either pressing hard (like Red Bulls do) or counter attacking at pace like Atlanta. That makes it hard to tell about our defence. We will see. In the meantime, that was fun. Boy was that fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couple of game experience points... 1. The pitch improvement is significant. 2. I enjoy how they are playing the TFC Legend song with player intros. 3. The Go Transit debacle after the game. A 7pm Jays start and a 8pm TFC start is bound to clash. So they decide to bring in an extra W/B train but have it arrive on the normal E/B track. Now we had a large number of people who were trying to go in the opposite direction of the masses thru the tunnel to get to track 4, only for GO to switch ideas and have the train go to Union and come back on track 1. Felt bad for fans with small kids or our senior fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    None of the three teams we have played have really attacked our suspect defence by either pressing hard (like Red Bulls do) or counter attacking at pace like Atlanta. That makes it hard to tell about our defence. We will see. In the meantime, that was fun. Boy was that fun.
    This is true - the very important thing is that we have racked up 9 points while giving the defence time to gel and settle. A clean sheet was important last night & I thought Moor’s performance was under appreciated - he organized the group well.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of unorganized plays last night. Vanney and the boys need to stay in position and communicate.
    Our defense when attack is at average.
    Seeing even Pozo and Bradley over running all over the field, will confuse other non experience TFC players that are one dimensional.
    A couple pages back here, someone has rated the players and I say that's pretty accurate.
    Attacking was on point. And ref was pretty good last night, compared to other refs we had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was sooo many obvious positives.... so i list some negatives.

Bono - is continuing to decline, he is so suspect especially with his distribution.

Delgado - is another. Think he needs a new change as he doesn't do much forward for me. Times when he should display composure, hes just hoofing it. He has never seen a pass backward that he doesn't like, and it will take away from the affect Pozo can have when teams will literally man mark him.

Jozy - No complaints other than him being noticeably unfit, which is fine. But we definitely will need another striker for when he's gone. Cause Boyd aint it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post
    There was sooo many obvious positives.... so i list some negatives.

Bono - is continuing to decline, he is so suspect especially with his distribution.

Delgado - is another. Think he needs a new change as he doesn't do much forward for me. Times when he should display composure, hes just hoofing it. He has never seen a pass backward that he doesn't like, and it will take away from the affect Pozo can have when teams will literally man mark him.

Jozy - No complaints other than him being noticeably unfit, which is fine. But we definitely will need another striker for when he's gone. Cause Boyd aint it.
    This is fair. Bono - doesn’t look like a #1 anymore. Delgado - is cringeworthy when he lines up for a shot. Boyd - doesn’t seem like he has added anything even depth...takes a spot from a youth player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    cant fully agree with you. Using VAR to go back in time to a foul or an offside ruins the flow of the game and sucks a lot of the life out of the experience in stadium. The first VAR was ruling DeLeon offside, which was way earlier in the play. The result was that in our part of the stadium nobody was sure whether to cheer for Jozy’s Goal or not. They need to get rid of that kind of revie. PK’s ok because the play is already stopped, or should be.
    Agreed. That's looking too far backwards in the play to be reviewed.

Really, MLS needs to beef up its training and compensation for officials. Especially linesmen. Using VAR as a safety blanket will not save anyone's bacon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oranje boven View Post
    Couple of game experience points... 1. The pitch improvement is significant. 2. I enjoy how they are playing the TFC Legend song with player intros. 3. The Go Transit debacle after the game. A 7pm Jays start and a 8pm TFC start is bound to clash. So they decide to bring in an extra W/B train but have it arrive on the normal E/B track. Now we had a large number of people who were trying to go in the opposite direction of the masses thru the tunnel to get to track 4, only for GO to switch ideas and have the train go to Union and come back on track 1. Felt bad for fans with small kids or our senior fans.
    The city needs to hurry up and fix the tunnel situation. They are playing with fire continuing to let this go on, 10+ years in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1986 View Post
    Lots of unorganized plays last night. Vanney and the boys need to stay in position and communicate.
    Our defense when attack is at average.
    Seeing even Pozo and Bradley over running all over the field, will confuse other non experience TFC players that are one dimensional.
    This is harsh. Bradley's job is essentially to stifle the attack. That could mean sitting in front of the CB's to provide shielding but it also means racing up on occasion to harass the opposing player who is in a pocket of space looking to start the play. Bradley snuffed out multiple things last night before they had a chance to happen because of that sort of pressure. That few seconds buys his teammates time to recover and get in the proper positions defensively. It's tactically on purpose and a smart play, not a sign of disorganization. As for Pozo, he's new to the team and by design the most positionally flexible player. He's essentially playing a free role in order to start attacks. The fact he's tracking back is an improvement over Giovinco who tended to stay closer to midfield and press on occasion (at best). Now i agree sometimes he looked like he was running around aimlessly on defense but this is after one week with the team. That will improve. Even if it doesn't, it's far more participation on defence from a #10 than most teams get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Great game and let's not forget, you have to beat the teams that are around you or below you in skill, and your games at home, it just builds confidence, yes there will be games that are a lot tougher, but we must give credit where it is due.
    It was quoted somewhere above, a RPB's disdain for Hamilton and Akinola not getting the start even though they played well at the home opener, which is a shame, but if your best XI are healthy and fit you play them, this isn't a charity league, perhaps JHams didn't show up and impress in training, he has been known to do that, he will get his chances during the run of schedule.
    Nobody wanted Hamilton to start. He takes his chances when he gets them then gets benched for a Boyd or a Spencer (last year).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After three games, we now have a quarter of the points we had all of last year, with 31 games left to go. After all the off-season drama, who would have expected this! And after Pozo's play last night, lots of people in the stands around me were asking, Sebastian who? I agree that the next couple of games will be key, but I am enjoying myself right now :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Agreed. That's looking too far backwards in the play to be reviewed.

Really, MLS needs to beef up its training and compensation for officials. Especially linesmen. Using VAR as a safety blanket will not save anyone's bacon.
    True, but linesmen are probably being advised this season to keep the flag down and send things to VAR or something. This is happening elsewhere, so it wouldn’t surprise me if PRO had this directive as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    True, but linesmen are probably being advised this season to keep the flag down and send things to VAR or something. This is happening elsewhere, so it wouldn’t surprise me if PRO had this directive as well.
    I see where you're coming from but this directive is creating all sorts of things that carry on for too long and confuse the fans. We have to pick our poison here: either the linesmen blow down the odd good play or we have mass fan confusion over 20-30 seconds of action that never really existed.

Maybe it's just time to invest in AI that can call offside instantly. How far off can that really be in today's world?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see where you're coming from but this directive is creating all sorts of things that carry on for too long and confuse the fans. We have to pick our poison here: either the linesmen blow down the odd good play or we have mass fan confusion over 20-30 seconds of action that never really existed.

Maybe it's just time to invest in AI that can call offside instantly. How far off can that really be in today's world?
    I agree, but it will take a while to work out the kinks and provide a smooth implementation, unfortunately.

Some leagues don’t even have goal line technology because of the cost, and VAR is relatively new so... just going to have to wait unfortunately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just want to know what the lineman was doing on the the Jozy grab for the P.K. The ref was blocked by the two players, but lineman had a clear view and didn’t do anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    I just want to know what the lineman was doing on the the Jozy grab for the P.K. The ref was blocked by the two players, but lineman had a clear view and didn’t do anything
    The linesmen are definitely deferring to VAR far too many times, in my opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Oso was like pozuelo or giovinco he would be making $4m/yr and he would not be on our team as mls only allowed 3dp's.
    I am very happy with oso's play and he will only get better as he gets with pozo
    Last edited by stevep; 03-30-2019 at 01:08 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't say that persay.

For example. DeLeon was offside just. It was a good call by VAR. However if he were onside and the Linesmen made an error it would have stopped the play and no goal would have happened.

I'd rather (within reason) have VAR pull pack a goal and have the linesmen keep the flag down if they aren't 100% sure then have them make the error when it is super close. I think the Linesmen did the right thing it was too close to guess in the moment and the VAR did the right thing pulling it back. They are using it as a tool to make more good decisions than bad ones.

With that situation I say simply if the Linesman was wrong and Deleon was instead just onside do you want the linesmen making the mistake and stopping the play or do you want the linesmen being cautious letting the play go if they aren't really sure and if needed let VAR deal later?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Nobody wanted Hamilton to start. He takes his chances when he gets them then gets benched for a Boyd or a Spencer (last year).
    I am cheering for Hamilton. he scores goals. Isnt that his job?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I want a photo of this. my screensaver on my ipad is Jozy's celebration in Vancouver when the woman who worked for the whitecaps gave him the finger. This might even be better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    I wouldn't say that persay.

For example. DeLeon was offside just. It was a good call by VAR. However if he were onside and the Linesmen made an error it would have stopped the play and no goal would have happened.

I'd rather (within reason) have VAR pull pack a goal and have the linesmen keep the flag down if they aren't 100% sure then have them make the error when it is super close. I think the Linesmen did the right thing it was too close to guess in the moment and the VAR did the right thing pulling it back. They are using it as a tool to make more good decisions than bad ones.

With that situation I say simply if the Linesman was wrong and Deleon was instead just onside do you want the linesmen making the mistake and stopping the play or do you want the linesmen being cautious letting the play go if they aren't really sure and if needed let VAR deal later?
    Linesman. Soccer is a game of emotions and moments. nothing is precise. Goal line technology is great, VAR for penalties and similar where the game is already stopped, or should be. But not to re-referee the game, which is essentially what is happening on those calls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a few thoughts now that I've watched the highlights back a dozen times and gotten that out of my system...

- Moor is such a calming presence in the back, even at his age we're lucky to have him.
    - Our backline wasn't very busy but Mavinga was solid after a shaky performance vs. NE
    - Osorio is currently tied for the league lead in assists with 3. He did have some loose touches early but was very good after the first 30 minutes, you have to appreciate how solid he is in possession. He was in on all three of the first goals.
    - Pozuelo seems to have that quality I always love in a player: the ability to gain enough space to make a play or flat-out beat a man 1v1 without touching the ball. 4 or 5 times last night he did so by using the run of the ball and a smart feint to send his defender the wrong way. Love seeing that.
    - Also loved how he attacks space after making a pass. Besides his dribbling this is something I noticed that clearly separates him from how Vazquez played. There were a few examples but the best is our first goal:

There's not much there. But as soon as he sees Osorio continue his forward momentum and the lane to get the pass to him he's off. His run in the space between the two NYC CMs causes so many problems and gets them scrambling. Vazquez's style in most cases was to make the first pass and then hang back as a secondary option. Pozuelo on the other hand seems to press the issue whenever he can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was standing front row on the concourse right behind the south end for the entire game, and it was the perfect perspective to take in the atmosphere.

My own personal little negative is something others have touched on, and that's the decline of Bono. Time to give this Quentin Westberg a look

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look at Sean Johnson staring down the ball and knowing he can't do a dam thing about it ( :

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    Glad to see this did get called, VAR or not. I'm finding the pulling and grabbing is consistently getting worse. Any blatant tug like that needs to be called.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Look at Sean Johnson staring down the ball and knowing he can't do a dam thing about it ( :

Has there been any goalkeeper more embarrassed than he was last night. He ought to have walked out of the stadium and kept walking, never to look at a soccer pitch again in his life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have a video of the southend doing the bounce.wonder how it looked and sounded on tv.