Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone mentioned our swagger back and I have to agree. Not juston the field but you could feel it in the stands, even at 1-0 at half the mood was good, you knew we we seeing a new positive team. If this keeps up look for tickets to start to become in demand again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fcuk me, that was amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was an incredible performance from Poz. I can't remember the last time we dominated a game like that (Probably 2017).

We also have lots of TAM available to reinforce and improve. A winger and a defensive player at 1 million a piece and we are the best team in MLS again.

However, I will say all the "Giovinco who?" stuff on twitter is leaving a sour taste in my mouth. Seba is a TFC legend. What he did for this club can be measured in trophies, MLS records, fan interest and front page headlines. No need to pretend he never mattered to us.

Anyway, great night!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That’ll do for me....

Some truly outstanding passages of attacking play from TFC tonight, capped off with a really world class third from Pozuelo (It was so good I learn to spell his name right) If he can maintain his stamina throughout the season (Bearing in mind hes almost played a full season in GentJ and we can keep Jozy fit, we should be looking forward to an exciting season ahead on the attacking front.

It was of course a superb debut by the Spaniard topped off by his second goal which was just absolutely sweet. Let’s remember Johnson is no mug of a goalie either, and to chip him like that was just utter class. I’ve never been a fan of the ‘Panenka’ but that one in particular seemed to hang in the air for an eternity. I’d much rather a player take a decent run up and put his laces through it when it comes to PKs, but you can’t complain about the outcome. I’m not sure the old ticker could stand many more like that one tonight. It’s only one game I know but he strikes me more as an attacking midfielder rather than a playmaker in the Vazquez mould, but hopefully this will help compensate for the Giovinco goals we’ll undoubtably miss this year. I still think we need a replacement for the Italian, maybe not quite at the same level, but let’s spend our GAM & TAM on a forward with a proven record he can score in this league. Otherwise its Akinola & Boyd as back ups for Jozy, not enough if we’re to make serious challenge for the MLS Cup.

I’ll spare you all the moans as it doesn’t seem right after a four goal victory and a masterclass from our new designated player. However the real test of whether or not we can be contenders this year will come in two weeks time when we travel to Seattle. I still hadve reservations about our ability to defend as a team, but we’ll leave that for another time. It must be said though NYCFC were horrific tonight and it’s amazing how far they have fallen so quickly from the Vierra/Villa era. However, as the saying goes, you can only beat what’s in front of you, and the Reds certainly beat their opponents tonight in a convincing manner (you have to wonder all the same how the second half would have gone had Medina buried that chance early in the second half rather than smack the post) In retrospect VAR got everything correct tonight as frustrating as it was not to get the first two ‘goals’. Absolutely no doubt they got the Altidore penalty call spot on. Although I think the big man might have embellished it a tad, he was clearly being hauled back by Callens, which stopped Jozy from getting in place to get a header on goal

So, onwards and upwards TFC. Let’s hope this great start in term of points means we’re going to enjoy another 2017 type season. If we address a few of our problems, I see no reason why we can’t. I certainly feel a lot better after tonight’s performance than I did two weeks ago

COYR!!!

Player Ratings
    Bono:6
    Auro: 6
    Moor:6
    Mavinga:6
    Morrow: 7
    Delgado: 5
    Bradley:6
    DeLeom:7
    Osorio:5
    Altidore:8
    Pozuelo:9

Chapman:7
    Akinola:4
    Boyd: 4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That performance, and those highlights, will drive the fence sitters back into BMO. I know it’s early, but we have exciting football

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, what a debut! Poz was brilliant. That second goal is definitely up there in all-time best TFC goals.

Even though NYCFC was not very good, that felt like a last-2017 TFC domination. If we get a few more TAM signings and stay healthy, this team will go far.

I’m pumped for this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow. That was something else. Looks like the team that was last season has been erased from memory. Can't find anything negative after watching that game.

I saw some auro criticism earlier in this thread which to me is hilarious. Auro played awesome and had some real brilliant moments tonight. I think a large part of that is due to pozuelo. Its like his presence alone has lifted the spirits and confidence of this team. You could see it in osorio too. I think hes the one player who's going to benefit the most from the pozo addition. Although maybe Jozy will disagree.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pozos smile and humility are going to go a long way in this town.

We will lose games.

He will make mistakes and go out of form.

But that attitude is going to bring in a LOT of people.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    He can’t get a good espresso, or glass of Italian wine, in that place.
    Actually, it's beer that makes him score! Especially one thrown by a fan.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Panenka was premeditated. Arrest Pozo for first-degree murder on Sean Johnson!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    i know now it will be hard, but let’s not compare the two. Completely stellar first game, still can’t figure out if he is left or right footed. It is true the whole team looked better. I know the paneka and the chip were sick but imho it was the small things, unlocking Jozy at least three times, the quick touches at midfield to keep possession that were mesmerizing.

i will always love Gio and I think he got bad advice but we have a new era and let’s hope this is the first of many remarkable nights.

Oso and Deleon look rock solid on the left and right but look out if we add pace and one more defender for depth to this team.

Come on You Reds!
    To make it clear, I loved Gio, I'm just looking at the whole team dynamic. You can't really compare the two players, they have different qualities. Pozo is more comparable to Vazquez, and even then plays a different kind of game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Panenka on your first penalty?!!! That was insane.

The two most ridiculous goals I’ve ever seen together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow!!!! So worth the wait!!! I loved seeing how the TFC embraced him and taught him the drums. We all saw how great the team played, I’m not going to comment on how one or two players played not so good. The best thing about tonight was how it was an actual team effort and not an individual effort. One of things that I loved from Poz tonight was how when he got subbed off he went to ref spoke I think some kind words and shook his hand, that’s another example of him being a world class player. Also, loved the lack of drama on field that we use to get from Gio. He will always be a TFC legend, but it was time start a new chapter and last season was a great example of that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brilliant night.

Osorio was playing out of his mind - great little touches, insightful passes, and tracking back to make a great defensive play stopping a good goal scoring opportunity - I don't get the hate on for him on these boards, its just weird; Deleon was a monster, worked incredibly hard and was effective, as was Bradley (a couple of brain cramps aside). Auro looked good, Chapman took his goal superbly. And WHAT A DEBUT! Defense still a bit rocky, but from inside the stadium, the team was on fire. The only big negative, again from inside the stadium, was VAR - it kills momentum, spirit, passion. Our whole area was wondering if Jozy's goal was going to be called back and only sort of half cheered. They need to seriously reconsider this going back and looking for fouls in the buildup or offsides. Let the game play man. Penalties, ok, because the game stops anyway, but calling Deleon's offside from 30 seconds before the goal? Come on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Brilliant night.

Osorio was playing out of his mind - great little touches, insightful passes, and tracking back to make a great defensive play stopping a good goal scoring opportunity - I don't get the hate on for him on these boards, its just weird; Deleon was a monster, worked incredibly hard and was effective, as was Bradley (a couple of brain cramps aside). Auro looked good, Chapman took his goal superbly. And WHAT A DEBUT! Defense still a bit rocky, but from inside the stadium, the team was on fire. The only big negative, again from inside the stadium, was VAR - it kills momentum, spirit, passion. Our whole area was wondering if Jozy's goal was going to be called back and only sort of half cheered. They need to seriously reconsider this going back and looking for fouls in the buildup or offsides. Let the game play man. Penalties, ok, because the game stops anyway, but calling Deleon's offside from 30 seconds before the goal? Come on.
    Osorio was third best player on the pitch tonight according to the audi index. his rating was 600 points just behind pozo and jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Brilliant night.

It's an expectations thing and his style of play. He's pretty slow in pace and moving the ball at times. He also got a raise recently, maybe some don't think he's worth it or it inflates their expectations.

He's actually technically very gifted though, he's good with ball, he can move it around and an overall very good possession player who can keep up with better players. Your right he makes a lot of great little touch's and he definitely does track back.

If people can just accept him as a slow, technically gifted possession player that helps out the team but will never be explosive or the main focus of attack, people will be much happier with him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    It's an expectations thing and his style of play. He's pretty slow in pace and moving the ball at times. He also got a raise recently, maybe some don't think he's worth it or it inflates their expectations.

He's actually technically very gifted though, he's good with ball, he can move it around and an overall very good possession player who can keep up with better players. Your right he makes a lot of great little touch's and he definitely does track back.

If people can just accept him as a slow, technically gifted possession player that helps out the team but will never be explosive or the main focus of attack, people will be much happier with him.
    He was great last night. A key piece in the ball movement on almost every goal, including the ones VAR ruled out. He’s not Poz or Giovinco but he is a skilled, highly effective, hard working player. And he is ours. What’s not to like?
    Last edited by MightyDM; 03-30-2019 at 07:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know it's bee one game but MLSE should issue Pozo stickers for our new magnet calendars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
    I know it's bee one game but MLSE should issue Pozo stickers for our new magnet calendars.
    magnets on magnets on magnets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Oso was like pozuelo or giovinco he would be making $4m/yr and he would not be on our team as mls only allowed 3dp's.
    I am very happy with oso's play and he will only get better as he gets with pozo
    Last edited by stevep; 03-30-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastBoy View Post
    The only downer is the lack of football love in this country. God bless MLSE for spending money on some quality players. One day the masses will be pullled away from Blue Jays coverage.
    Well, we only need to sell out 30,000 for 17 regular season games, some concacaf stuff and playoffs.

We're already around 25-26 k on average so one day it will be 30 k every game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastBoy View Post
    The only downer is the lack of football love in this country. God bless MLSE for spending money on some quality players. One day the masses will be pullled away from Blue Jays coverage.
    All TFC needs to do Is just keep winning and hopefully people will notice. The best part of a TFC game is the Fan experience some thing You do not see at a Jays, or Leafs game very sedaited corporate crowd over there

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we will win the supporters shield this year

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In person it was quite unbelievable. Pozeulo runs all the time his defensive efforts are simply in another class compared to Seba . This is like an extra man on the field . He was far ahead of the majority of teammates in his soccer IQ and caught a surprised a few with his quick feet . But to their credit the team seemed to jump on his back and enjoy the Adrenalin . BTW does anyone else have an heart attack every back pass to Bono . He is far too casual . On one effort I thought a Mavinga in his slide to save an errant kick from a Bono was going to get injured . He did make one great save but , our keeper is inconsistent. And credit to Bradley , who simply stayed out of the way and let Pozeulo have room .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    In person it was quite unbelievable. Pozeulo runs all the time his defensive efforts are simply in another class compared to Seba . This is like an extra man on the field . He was far ahead of the majority of teammates in his soccer IQ and caught a surprised a few with his quick feet . But to their credit the team seemed to jump on his back and enjoy the Adrenalin . BTW does anyone else have an heart attack every back pass to Bono . He is far too casual . On one effort I thought a Mavinga in his slide to save an errant kick from a Bono was going to get injured . He did make one great save but , our keeper is inconsistent. And credit to Bradley , who simply stayed out of the way and let Pozeulo have room .

Bono is just too bad of a passer for the money he earns

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just finished watching the game There ball movement was great, Still need some help on the backline but that will work itself out hopefully

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuelphStorm2007 View Post
    I just finished watching the game There ball movement was great, Still need some help on the backline but that will work itself out hopefully
    Yeah, the way they were moving the ball around was amazing. I was shocked that the half-time possession stat for TFC was only 53%. I thought for sure it was going to be in the 70s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Yeah, the way they were moving the ball around was amazing. I was shocked that the half-time possession stat for TFC was only 53%. I thought for sure it was going to be in the 70s.
    YA James me to I actually thought it was like 60% at the least but nonetheless great performance last night , I am liking from what I see from this team They seem like a motivated bunch and I like that

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    The first 6 minutes, TFC couldn't get the ball. The offside play that led to the Morrow called back goal was against the run of play. NYC wants to press but move the ball out of the back methodically.

Still think our defence sucks. Bono's distribution was bad. And we have this tendency to not deal with plays & get ourselves into trouble. Auro was great going forward & he stifled the fast NYC kid who came on in the end. I think he defensively pairs well with De Leon (who once again had a solid steady MLS quality game). Morrow was on a bit of an island as Delgado tucked in more.

NYC was way less then I thought they would be. No Maxi Morales meant nobody pulling the strings. Mitrita is really a LWF (which apparently the new guy Herber is too). David Silva's work rate & ability to hold the ball is sorely missed. Their defence has been this bend / not break exercise since they started. Ring as DM worked to change that - until this game. Toronto got through the NYC press pretty easily & that wasn't just Pozuelo.

The NYC brain trust hasn't really figured out their identity yet, which is an indictment on Man City Group. They allowed their team to become "whatever David Silva could do with the cast around him while the rest of us try to play out of the back". Mitrita is a good DP but he's not the type that will take a game by its throat and win it singlehandedly. You want to play like Man City in MLS - then build a 4-3-3 like that with better full backs who are a threat out wide & a true DP forward who just scores.

They also brought in a coach not as adaptable as Vierra who consistently underestimates the need to manage a team against its opponents. Just not impressed by them last night. There is a reason why they have only 4 wins out of his 20 games.

We had a great game - lots of positives. But our opponent was drek.