Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 301 to 327 of 327
  1. #301
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,317
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    I actually thought this was one of Auro's much better games. He looked more solid and less panicky. Held onto the ball well and opened up for teammates and even got out of some tight spots (one of them lead directly to the first goal from our corner of the field).
    As long as he keeps improving and continues to be tighter on defenders he will progress nicely.

    Deleon didnt do as great attacking wise as he did in the previous two games. But his defensive tracking back is very helpful for the team (as in giving Auro support and keeping the entire midfield organized).

    correct, i think it was one of auro's best games and he is on the right trajectory. Still makes mistakes but is improving and pairs well with a Deleon or Marky

    Its DeLeon or Marky that we can improve on. We don't need both work horses on the same side of the pitch.
    Marky is great at certain aspects of the game and has pretty good vision, hes just not improving enough to be a top starter on this TFC team.
    Similar with DeLeon, he's a solid player but hes no game changer

  2. #302
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Section 105
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I predicted 4 - 1.

    Sorry to have underestimated our defence.
    but for the really skinny white guys beside Bono you were spot on. well played.

  3. #303
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post

    Its DeLeon or Marky that we can improve on. We don't need both work horses on the same side of the pitch....
    Delgado was beside Bradley in a 4-2-3-1.

  4. #304
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 119
    Posts
    11,473
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Lost in some of the criticism is the fact that the 4-0 scoreline actually flattered NYC.

    I thought everyone played extremely well. The only area of immediate concern is Bono as others have mentioned. He didn't need to be a factor in this one, but against the stronger sides in MLS, it will be an issue.

  5. #305
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Section 105
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Monday after a Friday game and I'm still buzzing. man that shit was fun. that was some pure 2007/2017 mainline adrenaline goodness.

    I'll wait a few more to have a decent sample size before saying we're gonna win the treble but we might win the bloody big treble. .....oops, can't contain the enthusiasm.

  6. #306
    RPB Member 2018 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    16,471
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zorsofstesab View Post
    without going through all the posts has there been any reaction to Pozeulo's first game by VV and Gio? Just curious but likely they did not?
    Nothing from them. No comment from Genk either.
    "Victory needs no explanation." - Gyula Grosics

    Supporting since 2007


  7. #307
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,866
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    That's a good question, tbh you made me think about it.

    I think what I meant by my expression "the usual suspects" is that there is a small group of people who will dislike Vanney no matter what he accomplishes. Key to this is considering that any success is for reasons other than his leadership, or even despite his leadership. I think any objective viewer of this board would agree there is such a group on this board (and even more so on Twitter).

    I don't think these people are unthinking. After all, it's about interpretation of events. I do disagree with them and feel there is some bias against Vanney based on his earlier inexperience and lack of foreign experience (many would prefer that TFC would spring for an elite foreign coach).

    I should note here that I was very dubious about Vanney myself for most of his first season. He was inexperienced, made some bizarre decisions at first, and didn't seem to know what he was doing. I was willing to give him some benefit of doubt because he was clearly a deep thinker, but I would have taken Kreis any day over him.

    By mid 2017 there was quite a bit of evidence (for a lot of us) that he had learned a lot and was by then one of the more decent coaches in MLS. A lot of us changed our minds by then who were cool to him at first. That doesn't mean he's an excellent coach. If he was excellent he would be in a higher league, not MLS.

    I would agree with the criticisms that he doesn't practice defending set pieces enough, and they don't seem to have spent enough practice on PKs. However, I'd take him over a majority of MLS coaches.


    That’s how I have seen things (I thoughtthe firing of Nelsen was almost to prevent him reaching the playofffs) and Vanney’s initial lack of attention to defensive solidity was alarming. But he has improved dramatically as has the team. The trend to early goals last year can be laid at his feet - it’s a mental strength type of thing - but this is and has been since 2016 undoubtably his team. So he has to get credit for the excellence, not just blame for the bad. A comparison might be Cito Gaston. How’s it gone for the Jays since he had to go?

  8. #308
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,261
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post
    He was their Man of the Match.
    Possibly. But conceding a panenka and a high looping chip when you're caught in no-man's land is the worst embarrassment you can get as a goalkeeper. To have that happen in one game....

  9. #309
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Guelph
    Posts
    770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    First 20 minutes you have to not let goals in. First 10 minutes of the second half you can't let goals in. And if you score or are scored on you need to actually be able to defend for the 5 sometimes 10 minutes after that successfully. TFC fails in all three categories too often.
    I know you love your data points about when we concede but this is getting a little much. So say we score in the 30th minute, you're concerned we'll get scored on in the next 10 minutes. Plus the first 20 minutes of the half. Which means your "problem areas" now make up 30 minutes of a 45 minute half - have you ever considered we get scored on in your specific times because they make up the majority of the game time? "We give up most of our goals during 67% of play" doesn't really prove anything.

    I still need some convincing that our defense is up to the task this year, but I'm not buying the "TFC is scored on at specific times" narrative.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

  10. #310
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Guelph
    Posts
    770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Also this may be the most random question I've asked on this board but does anyone know what tattoo Pozuelo kissed after his penalty? From 111 I couldn't see and I've been wondering since (and didn't see it on any post game stuff).
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

  11. #311
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Section 105
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben - D.O.W. View Post
    Also this may be the most random question I've asked on this board but does anyone know what tattoo Pozuelo kissed after his penalty? From 111 I couldn't see and I've been wondering since (and didn't see it on any post game stuff).
    its farther back in the thread somewhere but it's MANOLO for his grandpa,

    and not random, many wanted to know. I didn't even see that til someone mentioned it. cool gesture.

  12. #312
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Guelph
    Posts
    770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section_105 View Post
    its farther back in the thread somewhere but it's MANOLO for his grandpa,

    and not random, many wanted to know. I didn't even see that til someone mentioned it. cool gesture.
    Awesome - thank you. Not sure how I missed that.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

  13. #313
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    891
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben - D.O.W. View Post
    Also this may be the most random question I've asked on this board but does anyone know what tattoo Pozuelo kissed after his penalty? From 111 I couldn't see and I've been wondering since (and didn't see it on any post game stuff).
    check the positvely pozuelo thread
    Away Days: Chicago (2014), Columbus (2015), Montreal (2015, 2016 playoffs), NYRB (2017 playoffs)

  14. #314
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Section 105
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben - D.O.W. View Post
    Awesome - thank you. Not sure how I missed that.
    Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    check the positvely pozuelo thread
    That was it. Sorry, did a full rabbit hole trip down all the forums this morning and it was so much fun.

  15. #315
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Section 112...Yeah, Baby!
    Posts
    2,048
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Possibly. But conceding a panenka and a high looping chip when you're caught in no-man's land is the worst embarrassment you can get as a goalkeeper. To have that happen in one game....
    According to https://www.nycfc.com/post/2019/03/2...o-fc-4-0-nycfc, they said:
    NYCFC .com Man of the Match Sean Johnson
    Despite the tough loss, Sean Johnson still shined through with five good saves for NYCFC.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

  16. #316
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    4,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section_105 View Post
    but for the really skinny white guys beside Bono you were spot on. well played.
    Our TAM defenders!

    But you know, Bono actually made a great save on the shot after it went off the post.

    But I agree with what others are saying, he's shown some fragility for sure.

  17. #317
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    629
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I mean, in hockey, a shot off the post doesn't even count as *on goal*... but, yeah, the second save was good - everyone had just stopped and watched the post shot and he had to do all the work on that one. Our biggest defensive adventure of the night... Which we had 4 or 5 of those moments against NER, so, improvement?

  18. #318
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    4,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    I mean, in hockey, a shot off the post doesn't even count as *on goal*... but, yeah, the second save was good - everyone had just stopped and watched the post shot and he had to do all the work on that one. Our biggest defensive adventure of the night... Which we had 4 or 5 of those moments against NER, so, improvement?
    Definitely improvement. And normal. How often is a team held to 0 shots and 0 chances? They're always going to get one or two, and that's fine. The point is whether we look fragile or not in the process, which here we certainly didn't.

  19. #319
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Section 105
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Our TAM defenders!

    But you know, Bono actually made a great save on the shot after it went off the post.

    But I agree with what others are saying, he's shown some fragility for sure.
    Yeah, that wasn't meant to be a dig at Bono at all but I can see how what I said seems like that. The shot was fantastic and maybe the shooter should have been closed down so close to the goal more than the keeper trying to block the original shot. Luckily he hit the base of the post just right to come back out instead of heading back in.....1 centimeter to the right or a square post and that is in the back. (My schools had square posts....hadn't thought about that in years)

    watched parts of the game last night and the secondary save was excellent. realized the ball went into a danger zone and got into the best position to take action from where he was.

  20. #320
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,261
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post
    According to https://www.nycfc.com/post/2019/03/2...o-fc-4-0-nycfc, they said:
    NYCFC .com Man of the Match Sean Johnson
    Despite the tough loss, Sean Johnson still shined through with five good saves for NYCFC.
    That's a really optimistic view. If I got nutmegged twice leading to two goals nothing else i did in the game would matter. I'd hang my head in embarrassment. That's what Johnson should be doing too.

    Also it really could have been 6-0, not because of Sean Johnson but because he was saved by offsides. One of which I'd argue was sketchy.

  21. #321
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,317
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section_105 View Post
    Yeah, that wasn't meant to be a dig at Bono at all but I can see how what I said seems like that. The shot was fantastic and maybe the shooter should have been closed down so close to the goal more than the keeper trying to block the original shot. Luckily he hit the base of the post just right to come back out instead of heading back in.....1 centimeter to the right or a square post and that is in the back. (My schools had square posts....hadn't thought about that in years)

    watched parts of the game last night and the secondary save was excellent. realized the ball went into a danger zone and got into the best position to take action from where he was.
    holy shit, square posts!!
    It never occurred to me till just now.
    Wow im old

  22. #322
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    10,684
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    That's a really optimistic view. If I got nutmegged twice leading to two goals nothing else i did in the game would matter. I'd hang my head in embarrassment. That's what Johnson should be doing too.

    Also it really could have been 6-0, not because of Sean Johnson but because he was saved by offsides. One of which I'd argue was sketchy.
    How Jozy didn’t score on one of those two chances in the 6 yard box i’ll never know. Their CB got extremely lucky gambling on last ditch challenges

  23. #323
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Guelph
    Posts
    770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    How Jozy didn’t score on one of those two chances in the 6 yard box i’ll never know. Their CB got extremely lucky gambling on last ditch challenges
    I think it was Callens who got on one of those chances with a brilliant (also lucky?) block - Jozy couldn't do much but smile and give him props for it. I think it helped we were up 2 or 3-0 at that point.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

  24. #324
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,059
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've been trying to place Jozy's reaction, I knew I had seen it before...

    It was Sir Bobby Robson reacting to one of the original Ronaldo's career highlight goals in 1996..

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q090EJ6B7Lk
    Last edited by ensco; 04-03-2019 at 05:16 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  25. #325
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Section 105
    Posts
    266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I've been trying to place Jozy's reaction, I knew I had seen it before...

    It was Sir Bobby Robson reacting to one of the original Ronaldo's career highlight goals in 1996..

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q090EJ6B7Lk
    Fantastic. I've seen the same from team mates on Messi goal compilations as well. There is one where Puyol and 2 others are captured doing it all at the same time. If I find it I'll post as well.

  26. #326
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    360
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I've been trying to place Jozy's reaction, I knew I had seen it before...

    It was Sir Bobby Robson reacting to one of the original Ronaldo's career highlight goals in 1996..

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q090EJ6B7Lk
    I think my favorite part of that was the soundtrack from The Rock.

  27. #327
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    715
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Pozuelo got a 82 overall CAM TOTW card in FIFA 19 after his first performance, has any other TFC player received that honour in their 1st team appearance, Pozuelo is something special

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •