Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
The first 6 minutes, TFC couldn't get the ball. The offside play that led to the Morrow called back goal was against the run of play. NYC wants to press but move the ball out of the back methodically.

Still think our defence sucks. Bono's distribution was bad. And we have this tendency to not deal with plays & get ourselves into trouble. Auro was great going forward & he stifled the fast NYC kid who came on in the end. I think he defensively pairs well with De Leon (who once again had a solid steady MLS quality game). Morrow was on a bit of an island as Delgado tucked in more.

NYC was way less then I thought they would be. No Maxi Morales meant nobody pulling the strings. Mitrita is really a LWF (which apparently the new guy Herber is too). David Silva's work rate & ability to hold the ball is sorely missed. Their defence has been this bend / not break exercise since they started. Ring as DM worked to change that - until this game. Toronto got through the NYC press pretty easily & that wasn't just Pozuelo.

The NYC brain trust hasn't really figured out their identity yet, which is an indictment on Man City Group. They allowed their team to become "whatever David Silva could do with the cast around him while the rest of us try to play out of the back". Mitrita is a good DP but he's not the type that will take a game by its throat and win it singlehandedly. You want to play like Man City in MLS - then build a 4-3-3 like that with better full backs who are a threat out wide & a true DP forward who just scores.

They also brought in a coach not as adaptable as Vierra who consistently underestimates the need to manage a team against its opponents. Just not impressed by them last night. There is a reason why they have only 4 wins out of his 20 games.

We had a great game - lots of positives. But our opponent was drek.
Lets be honest here. The opening stages of the game last night was dire from both sides. It took a while for things to get going. The bigger worry for me was how we started the 2nd half. Has that pinball sequence form NYCFC ended up in our net, the game could well have evolved differently. Thankfully it didnt and we were able to get a second soon after which gave us a stranglehold on the game