Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Match Day 3 - NYC @ TFC Friday March 29 8pm Cometh the man who will fight beside me

Cometh the hour of our reckoning, we will be ready
    Cometh the man who will fight beside me and be steady

(And who doesn't like a little bit of anime Opera)

Have at It People

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, do you think we can go 3 and 0 in the league after all the pre-season drama? I hope that Poz will be ready to show us what he can do!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Supposedly Pozuelo is arriving on Friday. Flight is 440pm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Supposedly Pozuelo is arriving on Friday. Flight is 440pm
    I had a slight panic that he would barely make the game that same evening. Then I realized the game is next Friday. Phew.

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pfk View Post
    I had a slight panic that he would barely make the game that same evening. Then I realized the game is next Friday. Phew.
    Dan Gargan tying his boots in a taxi on the way to Crew stadium.
    That's all I'll say about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, I remember that movie. Didn't think it was one of the better ones, but the soundtrack was really good. I wonder if Pozuelo will get enough time to practice with the team and gel. I think he might just be brought in as a substitute with Jozy after the first half, depending on how the game is progressing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Ah, I remember that movie. Didn't think it was one of the better ones, but the soundtrack was really good. I wonder if Pozuelo will get enough time to practice with the team and gel. I think he might just be brought in as a substitute with Jozy after the first half, depending on how the game is progressing.
    Nah, he'll have a week in training - they'll both start.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nycfc rumoured to be getting a very good LW/FWD in Brazilian Heber from Croatia's HNK Rijeka. He's exactly a player I would love on our team. Probably going to cost 2 - 3 million euros transfer. But mls site says it's to be a TAM deal so if that's true I'm assuming it must be spread over a longer period.
    Hopefully he doesn't join in time for our game against them.

Edit: forgot he's been out injured so if he has recovered he won't be in form.
    Last edited by DinamoTFC; 03-19-2019 at 11:10 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My issue with that move is this

The move could fill a gaping hole at the top of the formation for NYCFC, which has four forwards listed on its current roster but no one who plays a natural central striking role. Heber has mostly featured on the left wing...
    To me its a little bit like Jozy & Akinola - two forwards who play the same sort of style.

Heber plays the same place that Mitrita plays on the left. Neither of them are strong centre forwards & unless NYC wants to play with 2 false 9's & force Mitrita to the right, I'm not sure this works yet - I still think NYC goes out and finds a workhorse CF.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-19-2019 at 10:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What if Akinola is the real deal and he developes into a future TAM level player. It changes everything. He could be our Jonathan David. Exactly what we need. We can still add some wingers but it’s just nice to have a player show promise because we can’t realistically buy 18 quality players

———-Akinola-Altidore
    —————-Pozuelo
    ——-Osorio ———Bradley
    —————-Delgado
    Morrow-Mavinga-Moor-Auro
    Last edited by Defoe; 03-20-2019 at 12:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    What if Akinola is the real deal and he developes into a future TAM level player. It changes everything. He could be our Jonathan David. Exactly what we need. We can still add some wingers but it’s just nice to have a player show promise because we can’t realistically buy 18 quality players

———-Akinola-Altidore
    —————-Pozuelo
    ——-Osorio ———Bradley
    —————-Delgado
    Morrow-Mavinga-Moor-Auro
    I think Bradley and Delgado would be switched there. Also, I worry Auro is too much of a defensive liability in a 4-4-2.

We might still just be best with a Ciman-Moor-Mavinga back 3 with Bradley sweeping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post

———-Akinola-Altidore
    —————-Pozuelo
    ——-Osorio ———Bradley
    —————-Delgado
    Morrow-Mavinga-Moor-Auro
    Don’t rule out Hamilton. In a 4-4-2 he is the hold up player and is getting effective at it. Jozy was very complimentary to him the other day.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 03-20-2019 at 04:52 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I think Bradley and Delgado would be switched there. Also, I worry Auro is too much of a defensive liability in a 4-4-2.

We might still just be best with a Ciman-Moor-Mavinga back 3 with Bradley sweeping.
    Kj and Caldwell did mention the possibility of Delgado being groomed more for a defensive mid role to move Bradley up into the box to box role (outside diamond or outside of 3 man midfied) like he was vs Philly. If Delgado proves to be a good defensive midfielder it would cement him a starting spot and improve midfield as Bradley is better than Delgado in that 8 position.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kj and Caldwell did mention the possibility of Delgado being groomed more for a defensive mid role to move Bradley up into the box to box role (outside diamond or outside of 3 man midfied) like he was vs Philly. If Delgado proves to be a good defensive midfielder it would cement him a starting spot and improve midfield as Bradley is better than Delgado in that 8 position.
    I think it's probably Delgado's best position. He always had a knack for reading passing lanes and disrupting play. Just have to sort his passing out because his errant passes will be a lot worse right in front of our box rather than in midfield or further up.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only Oso away on Canada duty Sunday.

edit

Now Chapman as well.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 03-24-2019 at 08:15 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This team is a work in progress but I do like what I am seeing I was especially happy with the play of Hamilton, Akinola, and Chapman on Sunday to me that was a good sign of things to come hopefully. I think we have some issues in the back but that can fixed I believe. As far as our match v NYC those giys seem to have our number especially in the regular season so I am a little cautious I like the Idea of Delgado playing behind our mids .

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney will have some tough line up choices that's for sure. A good problem to have.
    I could see Vanney testing out his 4-3-3 again at some point during the match.
    ----------------Altidore---------------
    ---Akinola---------------Deleon---
    ---------------Pozuelo---------------
    --------Osorio-----Bradley--------
    Morrow-Mavinga-Moor-Auro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney will have some tough line up choices that's for sure. A good problem to have.
    I could see Vanney testing out his 4-3-3 again at some point during the match.
    ----------------Altidore---------------
    ---Akinola---------------Deleon---
    ---------------Pozuelo---------------
    --------Osorio-----Bradley--------
    Morrow-Mavinga-Moor-Auro
    Akinola isn’t a winger, and this formation can’t work in this format as we’d get blown out defensively.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe. I just always see Bradley as being a central, up-the-middle guy I can't see him doing much on the outside, unless it's something like Poz sitting on the top of a triangle, with Bradley and Delgado behind him (is that what you meant by 'outside diamond'?)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The “grooming” comment is odd, if they said that. That role is exactly how Marky was used all of 2017 in the 3-5-2, it's how he came into the starting XI in the first place. That is his natural role.

My fear with him is that we move him, and he blossoms into a long stud career somewhere else, in that exact DM role.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-21-2019 at 06:35 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Akinola isn’t a winger, and this formation can’t work in this format as we’d get blown out defensively.
    1) Akinola has played US u-20 games as a winger and has had success. He's also 19 so should be able to adapt. That's why I put him as LW because he has played it.

2) This isnt the same line up as first leg vs Panama. This 4-3-3 is with better players. With Vanney himself, KJ and Caldwell on their podcast, all saying they prefer to see 4-3-3 with Pozuelo because it brings out the best of his qualities.

3) Osorio and Bradley more reserved. Deleon and Akinola have shown that they track back A LOT. So they do help out defensively.

Whether it works or not is to be determined. But it will be tested.
    Last edited by DinamoTFC; 03-21-2019 at 09:52 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The “grooming” comment is odd, if they said that. That role is exactly how Marky was used all of 2017 in the 3-5-2, it's how he came into the starting XI in the first place. That is his natural role.

My fear with him is that we move him, and he blossoms into a long stud career somewhere else, in that exact DM role.
    Delgado always had bradley beside him. And in any 4-4-2 variation Delgado was the number 8, box to box midfielder.

In their podcast I believe they meant testing Delgado as a sole defensive midfielder. In the sense to swap positions with Bradley.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Maybe. I just always see Bradley as being a central, up-the-middle guy I can't see him doing much on the outside, unless it's something like Poz sitting on the top of a triangle, with Bradley and Delgado behind him (is that what you meant by 'outside diamond'?)
    Bradley has an engine. He can play box to box. Box to box also allows him to use his attacking qualities that have been supressed as a defensive midfielder. Most of his goals for Borussia Moch. and Herenveen were when he was box to box. This only works if there's another suitable sole DM.

Outside diamond as in more box to box:
    ----- Poz---
    Osorio----Bradley
    ------Delgado-----

Or 3 man midfield as in:
    -------Poz-----
    ----Bradley---Delgado/Osorio

or

Bradley-------Poz
    ----Delgado------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 man back line works best for TFC

Go to a 3-4-3 or 3-4–1-2

—-Ciman-Moor-Mavinga
    Auro-Osorio-Bradley-Morrow
    ————-Pozuelo
    ——-Altidore-Akinola

You could put Deleon in Auros spot or Hamilton in Akinola spot.

or

——Ciman-Moor-Mavinga
    Auro-Pozuelo-Bradley-Morrow
    —-Deleon-Altidore-Osorio

Ultil they add some real wingers I would use these formations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I could see that happening. Bradley in a more box to box role as opposed to defensive as he has been. Delgado as the DM with Osorio and Pozuelo as the attacking/creativity from mid. Looks good that to me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) Akinola has played US u-20 games as a winger and has had success. He's also 19 so should be able to adapt. That's why I put him as LW because he has played it.

2) This isnt the same line up as first leg vs Panama. This 4-3-3 is with better players. With Vanney himself, KJ and Caldwell on their podcast, all saying they prefer to see 4-3-3 with Pozuelo because it brings out the best of his qualities.

3) Osorio and Bradley more reserved. Deleon and Akinola have shown that they track back A LOT. So they do help out defensively.

Whether it works or not is to be determined. But it will be tested.
    I’d like to see a 4-3-3 as well but even having seen Akinola play on the wings I’m not sure he’s good enough there... time will tell, I guess.

I just have trouble envisioning our defense here unless they start to perform. Auro is a bit rough defensively, Moor is slow, and both Mavinga and Ciman look a bit lost at the moment. Bradley will have a lot of work to do...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NYC is basically 2 teams in one:

A back 4 that can be beat one on one but is well shielded by 3 decent DM's + an attacking unit that likes to run from the wings.

I feel this game is going to be one of those where we swing the ball around the park from side to side slowly and can't penetrate while they come at us quickly & score. Given our defence, I would not be surprised if we lose this one 3-1 or worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this game will be a good indicator of how Auro is coming along as a defender. DeLeon can give him good support if he's out on the wing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    NYC is basically 2 teams in one:

A back 4 that can be beat one on one but is well shielded by 3 decent DM's + an attacking unit that likes to run from the wings.

I feel this game is going to be one of those where we swing the ball around the park from side to side slowly and can't penetrate while they come at us quickly & score. Given our defence, I would not be surprised if we lose this one 3-1 or worse.
    Possible. But we did show some penetrating ball movement, and some good combinations. There is potential there. For reasons others have said, I like the 3-4-1-2. Although it’s questionable whether Poz starts. And in that formation I think DeLeon is preferred to Aruo, possibly Hamilton to Ayo for compatibility reasons with Jozy.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 03-21-2019 at 06:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delgado always had bradley beside him. And in any 4-4-2 variation Delgado was the number 8, box to box midfielder.

In their podcast I believe they meant testing Delgado as a sole defensive midfielder. In the sense to swap positions with Bradley.
    When we first got Delgado he played as a DM and a right back, which is what he'd primarily played at Chivas USA.