Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Goalkeeper and the future for Toronto Fc?

I keep going back to the Goalkeeper position and how essential it is in the MLS more than other leagues worldwide. It seems more games are being decided by penalty kicks or sharp ground kicks from 12 feet out. It's becoming a game of pure athletic keepers who can move their legs quickly between the post and remain agile while out of position.

In Alex Bono, I see a guy who is not being pushed anymore for his role. He seems comfortable and just going through the motions. Is he our long term option at 24 years old going forward?

I believe a true keeper to grow with our players is what we really need. Bono seemed good in 2017 because of the defense we had rolling out every match! But today not so much!

Quentin Westberg Who turns 33 in April is a journeyman keeper who I hope pushes Bono more this year. I don't think Curtis likes Bono so much...

So is there any young Keepers out there we can look at?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of all the positions in the game The GK is one where youth is not an advantage. I would give keepers a 5 year premium over other positions. Bono is still very young and can hopefully improve especially with positioning. He had a free pass last year and if he commits too many blunders will be kicked out much sooner than later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsYNWA View Post
    Of all the positions in the game The GK is one where youth is not an advantage. I would give keepers a 5 year premium over other positions. Bono is still very young and can hopefully improve especially with positioning. He had a free pass last year and if he commits too many blunders will be kicked out much sooner than later.
    I think giving a Keeper 1 year is enough. Bono showed me enough last year to show me he is not the type of keeper we need

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bono was a stud in 2017, sure our defence was solid, but he had so many game deciding saves. 2018 seemed to break him mentally, but if he can get back to his previous form, I'd be happy with keeping him around longer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do we have anyone else coming through the pipeline? I have to admit I'm not familiar with the TFC II roster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Do we have anyone else coming through the pipeline? I have to admit I'm not familiar with the TFC II roster.
    Unfortunately not. Cavalluzzo and Angoitia both left us after last season and weren't good enough for MLS let alone TFC. We did get Eric Klenofsky, but for now, we only really have 1 TFC II keeper. Gianluca Catalano, a 17-year-old keeper, also played for TFC II last season, but he looked like he wasn't ready for senior football at the time. He showed a few glimpses of shot-stopping ability, but that's it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    Unfortunately not. Cavalluzzo and Angoitia both left us after last season and weren't good enough for MLS let alone TFC. We did get Eric Klenofsky, but for now, we only really have 1 TFC II keeper. Gianluca Catalano, a 17-year-old keeper, also played for TFC II last season, but he looked like he wasn't ready for senior football at the time. He showed a few glimpses of shot-stopping ability, but that's it.
    That's disappointing. We also have a problem developing defenders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    That's disappointing. We also have a problem developing defenders.
    We've had problems developing anyone.

I still can't believe no one saw Marc Anthony Kaye's potential when we had him, or could unlock it. Jesus Tapdancing Christ. How many other potential starters for LAFC or other MLS clubs have we let go over the years that were just missed completely? Maybe if some of these kids had had week-to-week faith shown in them, or even semi-regular senior team appearances, they might have made it.

But... yeah, no keepers, no defensive prospects beyond Doneil and Ashtone, who were here a decade ago.

What happened? Eleven years of allegedly Cadillac youth dev, and we have nearly nothing to show from it in terms of the first team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still can't believe we had Julio freakin' Cesar in goal for us for a few months, 5 years ago now.

Goalkeeper is a position I've always felt we've really lacked compared to the rest of the league. No reason we can't have a Tim Melia, a Nick Rimando, a Zack Steffan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    I still can't believe we had Julio freakin' Cesar in goal for us for a few months, 5 years ago now.

Goalkeeper is a position I've always felt we've really lacked compared to the rest of the league. No reason we can't have a Tim Melia, a Nick Rimando, a Zack Steffan.
    My thoughts exactly

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post

We had Stefan Frei in 2009-2013, who in my humble opinion was and is still one of the top keepers in the league (I'd put Rimando above him, and maybe Robles). I know Frei got injured and then Bendik 'earned' the spot (similar to how Irwin, who I believe is/was vastly superior to Bono, lost his starting spot), but our issue isn't necessarily getting the good goalkeepers, it's managing and then keeping them long-term. I don't have the stats, but if you look at the top keepers in the league, I'll bet many of them have been with their club for relatively long periods of time and may have weathered injuries without their club dropping them to the bench permanently.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Bono is fine. He had a bad year. And yes, although we are only 1 regular season game in, is having a bit of a doozy this year. I wouldn't give up on him yet. The clear issue right now is motivation. Unless a no-brainer keeper comes along, I'd keep him around for a few more years before completely giving up on him. You don't replace him with another kid, that doesn't make any sense what-so-ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JDMD View Post
    We had Stefan Frei in 2009-2013, who in my humble opinion was and is still one of the top keepers in the league (I'd put Rimando above him, and maybe Robles). I know Frei got injured and then Bendik 'earned' the spot (similar to how Irwin, who I believe is/was vastly superior to Bono, lost his starting spot), but our issue isn't necessarily getting the good goalkeepers, it's managing and then keeping them long-term. I don't have the stats, but if you look at the top keepers in the league, I'll bet many of them have been with their club for relatively long periods of time and may have weathered injuries without their club dropping them to the bench permanently.

Stefan Frei is why I made this thread to begin with. I truly believe that if we still had him we would be back to back champs in 2016 and 2017. The man just oozes confidence and is solid when his team needs him the most.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Valdal View Post
    Stefan Frei is why I made this thread to begin with. I truly believe that if we still had him we would be back to back champs in 2016 and 2017. The man just oozes confidence and is solid when his team needs him the most.
    I don't think so because if he was forced to play here for the entirety of our shitshow up until 2016 he wouldn't have any confidence or probably even be in the league in 2016. We would have ground him into dust by then. We did him a favor by opting for the far shittier keeper in the Bendik vs. Frei competition. If we held on to him he'd probably be selling condos with Gabe Gala downtown.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bono needs a challenge. Grab a veteran on the other side of his career and keep the keeper battle alive. Our team has seen that dynamic work as much as it hasn't. I don't believe we need to go full hockey talk about goalies though. A great keeper is what we need but that position shouldn't be the top priority on our list. Especially in our league.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Valdal View Post
    He left for a reason. We couldn't have got where we did if he stayed. But if you want to finish the thought - which games would he have made the difference?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Panamanian goalkeeper whose team just smashed us stood on his head vs Kansas City in a losing effort but Kansas if they could shoot could have won 6-0 ....why no inquiries? Would love to know who are scouts are , because our connections seem very vague these days ....
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Quenten Westberg was actually playing at Auxerre, then he must be decent.

Bono is a concern. He's not playing well this season (and in fact since he got called up to US squad last season).
    Keepers are like Centre Forwards. It's all about confidence.
    Do you stick with Bono and hope he gets his mojo back, or drop him and risk destroying his confidence more?
    Tough call, but you do need an option just in case.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lil'John View Post

Bono is a concern. He's not playing well this season (and in fact since he got called up to US squad last season).
    Do you stick with Bono and hope he gets his mojo back, or drop him and risk destroying his confidence more?
    If you look at the Auxerre lineups this season, he's had 14 starts.. Auxerre is one of the bottom half teams but probably safe from relegation. French Ligue 2 is decent, way above USL so if Bono continues to look shaky, I have no problem with West in goal.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    He left for a reason. We couldn't have got where we did if he stayed. But if you want to finish the thought - which games would he have made the difference?
    MLS Cup 2016.

He was traded because TFC was hard up against the cap due to Mariner's mismanagement of it. He is well-paid for a keeper but worth every penny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lil'John View Post

I’ve seen him play. I don’t think he’s really a starter in MLS. He was a backup keeper in the French second division and Auxerre is not a great team even for that level... if anything he could potentially be an okay backup keeper here. I think it’s more just bringing in someone with experience to help Bono work out the kinks, and he has the French connection and isn’t an international.

He’s not very tall, doesn’t really excel at anything, hasn’t had a brilliant career trajectory, and wasn’t even a starting keeper in the second division in France.

If Bono has a bad year, we don’t have any decent keepers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    MLS Cup 2016.

He was traded because TFC was hard up against the cap due to Mariner's mismanagement of it. He is well-paid for a keeper but worth every penny.
    Keep in mind he is also one of the players who was “scrutinized” by MLS in their decisions on who can command higher salaries and be considered for allocation money, etc.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS Cup 2016.

Ok but who are we subtracting from that critical season? Not Jozy, maybe not even Seba but Perquis or Cheyrou came in. Stick with Jeremy Hall and Ryan Richter?

It's not that straight forward but it's closer to the reality of the hindsight.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Ok but who are we subtracting from that critical season? Not Jozy, maybe not even Seba but Perquis or Cheyrou came in. Stick with Jeremy Hall and Ryan Richter?

It's not that straight forward but it's closer to the reality of the hindsight.
    Yes, that's true... given the salary situation. However, if TFC had been better managed that either/or choice would not have been necessary in the first place.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, that's true... given the salary situation. However, if TFC had been better managed that either/or choice would not have been necessary in the first place.
    It's also very seldom that a trade so immediately and ultimately makes a such direct comparison.

Look at what we did with the keeper sitch after that. A mix of youth and talent makes sense at any time. But what happened...FOS (F*ck Our Season)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IIRC, Frei was first choice keeper until '11?
    and then he had that freak preseason injury and was out for all of '12 - that was when Kocic stepped in
    in '13 Ryan Nelsen decided to run with Bendik all season and at the end of the year it was decided they would go forward with Bendik instead of Frei
    '14 saw Bendik on the bench for a spell when we tried to sell tickets with Julio Cesar and co.
    '15 Bendik split the season with Konopka? with Konopka getting the balance of the games - we shipped out Bendik (drafted Bono earlier that year)
    '16 - Irwin was first choice, but Bono played a good chunk
    '17-'18 Bono was first choice keeper.

So, since Frei played his last full season in '11... Kocic, Bendik, Cesar, Konopka, Irwin, Bono. And Q. Roberts was always there as 3rd string.

It's a shame we couldn't have kept him - of all my jerseys, only one has a name on it, and it's a yellow Frei keeper jersey. Always thought it was horrible how he was sent out from the team.