Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Agree. But, for me, the defender giving me the biggest concern, is Moor. That 2 goal ricocheted off his leg, squirting by a dazed Bono. Moor was again, out of position, covering nobody.
    It went off Auro & Moor didn't reach it. Bono really couldn't do much.

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/ma...s/video/185236

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree. But, for me, the defender giving me the biggest concern, is Moor. That 2 goal ricocheted off his leg, squirting by a dazed Bono. Moor was again, out of position, covering nobody.
    That did not come off Moor at any point. That goal came off Auro, who chose an odd angle to defend from. I don't know how Moor is brought into this, he made a better attempt to block the shot than Bono.

On Bono: Sit him. I just feel bad for him now.

Next match should be Westberg; Morrow, Mavinga, Moor, Auro; Osorio, Pozuelo, Bradley, DeLeon; Akinola/Hamilton, Altidore. Honestly, it picks itself.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ya that goal wasn't Moor's fault. The guy had a stellar game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    The rule is the same as it has been for many years; FIFA directed a new interpretation in 2017. And I can’t agree with you, it’s an absurd interpretation. Why should a defensive player simply trying to play the ball cause a player already in an offside position to be onside? Makes no sense. Listen to Caldwell on the podcast and you’ll be persuaded. They need to interpret it in the way it is written and was understood at least since the 1970’s. There is a reason Gil and Freidel went ballistic.
    The rule says it's when the ball is played by his teammate. At the moment the play was played he was miles offside. I don't know why a slight deflection after the ball was played would make a difference-the offside happened before that.

That's all to say I agree with you on this. If that's not offside nothing is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    ya that goal wasn't Moor's fault. The guy had a stellar game.
    Looked like Moor...sorry, my mistake

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highlights show a distorted view of the game.

Osorio was absolutely dominants, along with Bradley (who was even better) - except for his hesitation in the free kick. Perhaps he was surprised; perhaps too slow.

Morrow had a brilliant moment for the winning goal - otherwise was fine but not exceptional. Although he got into excellent positions but the defenders simply showed him onto his right foot and he ddidnt and apparently can’t cross with his right foot. By the time he did cross with his left most of the time it was too late to have an impact because he had had to take time to create space for the left footed cross. Happened time and again. I like him, good player, but he needs to figure that out to have a really good game.
    Morrow threaded several passes into the box. He provided at least two perfect crosses, one to Hamilton, the other to Auro...both missed on headers. His pass to Altidore for the winner, was sublime. Compared with the others, who all had good and bad moments, he stood out.
    Hopefully, this continues, because he was an integral part of 2017.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought it was a really entertaining game. It kind of reminded me of that Chicago game last year where we dropped points at the death. That seemed to be the epitome of the way the whole season went. The fact that we came out with all three last night is very promising. We're scoring a lot of goals without our heavy hitters, so that's good. We'll probably need them given our backline. Mavinga didn't have a great game but I wouldn't worry. Don't know what Friedel said but he could just as easily have been trying to get into people's heads. Boyd reminds me of Luke Moore for some reason. And dream goal for Jozy. So pumped for that!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Morrow threaded several passes into the box. He provided at least two perfect crosses, one to Hamilton, the other to Auro...both missed on headers. His pass to Altidore for the winner, was sublime. Compared with the others, who all had good and bad moments, he stood out.
    Hopefully, this continues, because he was an integral part of 2017.
    I agree that hopefully it continues, but he really needs to address the way he is defended in order to be described as excellent. I lost count of the number of attacks that died down the left through smart defending of a one footed player.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ciman though....woof.

I was trying to find one play with the ball he did right & I seem to remember a long pass from right to left & the free kick to Osorio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    NE ties game: Vanney responds by putting on extra defender
    TFC takes lead: Vanney puts on striker
    he put on a defender but changed from 442 ish to 352 to load up the midfield and put a little more support in front of goal. It turned our full backs into out an out wingers so had the effect of converting a defender to a midfielder. or he was smoking some of that newly legal sticky icky at half time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would agree with many people's assessment on most players last night (except for the Osorio detractors, sheesh)

Morrow - closer to 2017 form than 2018 form. Not his best but clearly on the right track.
    Mavinga - brain farts rather than speed loss. I do suspect the room turmoil has affected him more than most.
    Moor - looked solid and smart
    Auro - great going forward, okay going backward one on one

Osorio - confident and moved in all directions. Not focused on going backwards as has been the case when his confidence wasn't high. He does need to one-touch that free kick pass from Ciman though.
    Chapman - better than I've seen for quite some time. Still not good enough to replace an on-form Delgado but wasn't getting shouldered off the ball as has happened on other days.
    Bradley - smart and strong and mobile. He's in his comfort zone already.

When things got in our box, though, yikes. Very, um, adventurous. More than anything, this is where we have got to get better.

Akinola - wow, some flashes there and some good runs to draw defenders out of shape. Lots of promise.
    DeLeon - worked hard, was seemingly everywhere on the press. The one opportunity he had from the low cross from the left, though - that would have been nice to have on frame. He will prove useful I think.
    Hamilton - one of his better games, I think - he still disappears but less so now than previously, and he did his best to drag the defenders around and play with his back to the goal.

Bono - distribution in the air is pointless. The second goal he was flat footed. He's not very composed right now under pressure (but some of that has to be from the high yikes quotient of our in-the-box defending).

Subs:

Ciman - well, I'll give him some time to see how he fits in. A bit more adventurous than what I'd look for in a CB in a 3-5-2.
    Boyd - I'm gonna reserve judgement on this one. Least impressive of the bald heads out there.
    Jozy - damn, son

YMMV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oranje boven View Post
    Bradley’s pass to Morrow to set up the winning goal was unbelievable....top rate pass. Way to lead us Captain.
    This. that pass and JMo's run to make that possible.....what a play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As shaky as the defense has looked, they've only allowed 1 goal from open play.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 105 View Post
    As shaky as the defense has looked, they've only allowed 1 goal from open play.
    In 2 league games.

Better teams will punish TFC for all the silly defensive mistakes
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that hopefully it continues, but he really needs to address the way he is defended in order to be described as excellent. I lost count of the number of attacks that died down the left through smart defending of a one footed player.
    I’m not sold at all on Morrow going forward in today’s MLS. Too often he just turns around and cycles the ball back into midfield. You need someone who gets to the endline more, makes piercing runs, and takes advantage of being 1v1.

That said he makes up for it on the defensive side of the ball so no issue there.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I’m not sold at all on Morrow going forward in today’s MLS. Too often he just turns around and cycles the ball back into midfield. You need someone who gets to the endline more, makes piercing runs, and takes advantage of being 1v1.

That said he makes up for it on the defensive side of the ball so no issue there.
    I think you're underestimating Morrow's decision making. Morrow knows he's pretty much got one foot, not the greatest dribbler and no longer pacey. Instead of taking risks and a potential turnover which means he's out of position, he picks his time if he's going to take on someone 1v1.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand how Bono's taking flak for that specific goal - Auro didn't press nearly hard enough for that goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I think a lot of us take for granted is how good of a passer Drew Moor is for a CB. I was watching NER CB’s, and they were almost Haglund bad passers.

I completely agree with Altidore post game. That run by Akinola near post creates that goal for Altidore. Re watch the goal and focus on him.

Now let’s get TAM players in here already!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I did like about last night was sometimes they got the ball pinging around their players. It reminded me a lot more of TFC 2017-style than 2018. Hopefully they'll keep improving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    One thing I think a lot of us take for granted is how good of a passer Drew Moor is for a CB. I was watching NER CB’s, and they were almost Haglund bad passers.

I completely agree with Altidore post game. That run by Akinola near post creates that goal for Altidore. Re watch the goal and focus on him.

Now let’s get TAM players in here already!!!
    Also watch Jozy when the ball is in the air to Morrow...he tells him where to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    I don't understand how Bono's taking flak for that specific goal - Auro didn't press nearly hard enough for that goal.
    He didn't even try to stop it....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I think you're underestimating Morrow's decision making. Morrow knows he's pretty much got one foot, not the greatest dribbler and no longer pacey. Instead of taking risks and a potential turnover which means he's out of position, he picks his time if he's going to take on someone 1v1.
    Regardless of whether it’s willingness or ability the end result is the same.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    He didn't even try to stop it....
    I'm not sure he positioned himself to get anywhere near it no matter if he tried or not but damn was he ever flat footed on that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    Ding ding!

It’s a clearly written rule in the offiside law.. A ball received from a defender that deliberately plays the ball doesn’t create an offside offence. It does matter if the ball didn’t go where the defender wanted. He played the ball, it was no deflection.

I didn’t hear the broadcast but it’s nuts how most broadcasters don’t know the rules.
    Sort of contradictory when you look at other off sides given, and the the rule is from when the player hit the ball not from his position when receiving the ball.

Still worth it, 9/10 times a defender will stick out a foot

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    The rule says it's when the ball is played by his teammate. At the moment the play was played he was miles offside. I don't know why a slight deflection after the ball was played would make a difference-the offside happened before that.

That's all to say I agree with you on this. If that's not offside nothing is.
    The rule actually says "A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage." Emphasis is mine.

As others have mentioned, the current FIFA interpretation of the rule is that the the defender only needs to make a deliberate play on the ball to negate the offside, which was clearly the case last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    Ding ding!

It’s a clearly written rule in the offiside law.. A ball received from a defender that deliberately plays the ball doesn’t create an offside offence. It does matter if the ball didn’t go where the defender wanted. He played the ball, it was no deflection.

I didn’t hear the broadcast but it’s nuts how most broadcasters don’t know the rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    The rule actually says "A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage." Emphasis is mine.

As others have mentioned, the current FIFA interpretation of the rule is that the the defender only needs to make a deliberate play on the ball to negate the offside, which was clearly the case last night.
    Imagine if it was the other way and they had scored, it be 100% wrong then lol

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leedsoronto View Post
    Didn't say I like the rule, but the ref was pretty emphatic when he made the call. One plus is that it does take away the judgement as to whether the touch was intentional or not. (Although to be clear, I am no way suggesting that the NE defender was trying to pass that back to his goalie). And yeah - it would have sucked to have it go against us, but we have had more that enough situations go against us that I can enjoy the ones that happen in our favour

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leedsoronto View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but didn't that occur in the CCL game against Panama and Ciman?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    Also watch Jozy when the ball is in the air to Morrow...he tells him where to go.
    Yes! I didn't notice that before. Very smart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Yes! I didn't notice that before. Very smart.
    I didn't notice either - great communication under pressure - even better that a young guy like Akinola recognized and followed the instruction to a T