Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by catz4ever View Post
    I think it was for his grandfather who just died a couple of weeks ago cause right after he pointed upwards
    Most likely it, he mentioned his grandfather in his post-game interview with KJ as well.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Most likely it, he mentioned his grandfather in his post-game interview with KJ as well.
    Oh I didn't know about that. I knew his grandfather was ill, but I didn't realize he had passed away.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Oh I didn't know about that. I knew his grandfather was ill, but I didn't realize he had passed away.
    In his Pearson airport interview he said his grandfather is doing better. Don't know where people are getting that his grandfather died. He was probably just pointing to God like a lot of Spanish players do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    In his Pearson airport interview he said his grandfather is doing better. Don't know where people are getting that his grandfather died. He was probably just pointing to God like a lot of Spanish players do.
    That's what I thought to. He said everything was find with his grandfather now, unless something changed.

And I guess it was a tattoo he was pointing to. Couldn't see it.

Think about how crazy this is. We know he wanted to come to Toronto partly for the money, but I wonder how much of his decision was about attention and publicity to. I mean, he'd been playing great for Genk and getting almost no notoriety, but he comes here and after one game is already getting re-tweeted by FIFA and after two days has almost 17k followers on a new Instagram account.

Say what you will about the 'quality of play' between MLS and some of the smaller Euro leagues, MLS annihilates them when it comes to its media power. We know how to build stars. He's already a bigger star – after one game! – than he's ever been.

And we did the same for Giovinco too. It's actually kind of nuts.
    Last edited by James17930; 03-31-2019 at 06:11 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    That's what I thought to. He said everything was find with his grandfather now, unless something changed.

And I guess it was a tattoo he was pointing to. Couldn't see it.
    I thought the same as you. But in the interview with KJ right after the game, Pozuelo says thank-you to his family, to the other players, to the coach, and to his grandfather, looking briefly to the sky, "This is for him."

Not sure what that means either way.

I just saw this: "Pozuelo scored the second from the penalty spot in the 58th minute, beating 'keeper Sean Johnson down the middle with a cheeky right-footed change-up of a chip. It's called a Panenka, named after Czech player Antonin Panenka, who pulled it out of his bag of tricks in the 1976 UEFA European Championship final. He peeled away to celebrate after the goal, kissing a tattoo on his right bicep with the name Manolo — his grandfather."

https://www.nsnews.com/spanish-playm...but-1.23775424

And here's the interview with KJ: https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/pozu...-debut~1648197

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I thought the same as you. But in the interview with KJ right after the game, Pozuelo says thank-you to his family, to the other players, to the coach, and to his grandfather, looking briefly to the sky, "This is for him."

Not sure what that means either way.

I just saw this: "Pozuelo scored the second from the penalty spot in the 58th minute, beating 'keeper Sean Johnson down the middle with a cheeky right-footed change-up of a chip. It's called a Panenka, named after Czech player Antonin Panenka, who pulled it out of his bag of tricks in the 1976 UEFA European Championship final. He peeled away to celebrate after the goal, kissing a tattoo on his right bicep with the name Manolo — his grandfather."

https://www.nsnews.com/spanish-playm...but-1.23775424

And here's the interview with KJ: https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/pozu...-debut~1648197
    Huh. Guess maybe he did die then. Glad to know he got to see him one last time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We obviously need a much large sample size but IF he can stay consistent and he can stay healthy, then I believe he will eclipse Seba as our best ever player. The passes he was able to hit last night and the ground he covered was a marvel to see. He is exactly what this club needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This goal deserves credit and the publicity can't hurt either. Vote as many times as you like.

http://1v1.tsn.ca/

Still in awe of the performance. Hope that's just the beginning.
    Last edited by NDIrish; 04-01-2019 at 07:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    We obviously need a much large sample size but IF he can stay consistent and he can stay healthy, then I believe he will eclipse Seba as our best ever player. The passes he was able to hit last night and the ground he covered was a marvel to see. He is exactly what this club needed.
    his engine and work ethic is what shocked me most

he is strong with a low centre of gravity, much harder to knock him off balance.

He has no problem going in for a tackle either

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Ensco, you need to see if you can find a tape of the whole game and watch it. The interplay between Poz Oso and Jozy, and sometimes Bradley was fantastic. It was like a whole different level of soccer and was a joy to watch.
    yes, him an Oso looked like they have been playing together for years. These two will be unlocking teams often.

Bradley's run to open up space for Pozo goal will go mostly unnoticed.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NDIrish View Post
    This goal deserves credit and the publicity can't hurt either. Vote as many times as you like.

http://1v1.tsn.ca/

Still in awe of the performance. Hope that's just the beginning.
    100x. This shouldnt even be a contest for the next 2 months. Everyone lets get the votes in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When they showed it during TSN Sporscentre, or whatever it's called, the one host asked if he really intended for it to be a cross.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what a debut! He reminded me of Vazquez but with mobility! I was surprised by how much of the field he covered. If he stays healthy, he's going to be huge for the team this year. We just need another striker now

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Huh. Guess maybe he did die then. Glad to know he got to see him one last time.
    It could be he just dedicated the goal to him because he's been ill. Like "this is for you, Grandpa".
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His tattoo is of 2 angels with the words Manolo/a (translation anyone is it spanish for manuel?) across for those who were wondering.
    Last edited by DinamoTFC; 04-01-2019 at 09:58 AM.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

His tattoo is of 2 angels with the words Manolo/a (translation anyone is it spanish for manuel?) across for those who were wondering.
    Manolo is a Spanish name, as is Manuel

They are variations on the same name.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahaha pozuelo's Instagram story says he's enjoying the American lifestyle... who wants to tell him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Hahaha pozuelo's Instagram story says he's enjoying the American lifestyle... who wants to tell him?
    let him find out when he fires up google maps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    let him find out when he fires up google maps
    Let's get him a basket of goodies from the Honey Pot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I'll assume it more has to do with Spanish speaking countries teaching that North and South America are all one continent. Everything from Alaska to Patagonia is all "America" to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magmadragon View Post
    I'll assume it more has to do with Spanish speaking countries teaching that North and South America are all one continent. Everything from Alaska to Patagonia is all "America" to them.
    yah, like that corona commercial

https://youtu.be/DMobaS-n4Bs

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Manolo is a Spanish name, as is Manuel

They are variations on the same name.
    haha thanks that makes sense

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    his engine and work ethic is what shocked me most

he is strong with a low centre of gravity, much harder to knock him off balance.

He has no problem going in for a tackle either
    I was pleasantly surprised by his work ethic as well. He covered a ton of ground from one side to the other. He seemed to be all over the place. There were even a couple points where he dropped back to cover for Auro at fullback. He really does seem to have that "team first" mentality. And as supporters, that's what we like to see. If this is just the tip of the iceberg, in terms of gelling with his teammates, I cannot wait for the rest of the season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A small sidebar... Genk have thrived postpozo, won 4 of 5 in the playoff round, and have a 7 point lead with 5 games to go.

This is helpful, as nobody needs the the narrative that TFC or MLS or Pozo ruined Genk’s season.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was the second game where he scored two goals, each with a different foot.

This no longer impresses me and I now demand one goal with each foot plus one with the head.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    A small sidebar... Genk have thrived postpozo, won 4 of 5 in the playoff round, and have a 7 point lead with 5 games to go.

This is helpful, as nobody needs the the narrative that TFC or MLS or Pozo ruined Genk’s season.
    I agree. I really want genk and their fans to be happy and for us to be even happier when post season comes around. Manning had a point about not wanting to ruin relationships with clubs because there's always potential for future transactions

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

That's great news, thanks for keeping us up to date!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    This was the second game where he scored two goals, each with a different foot.

This no longer impresses me and I now demand one goal with each foot plus one with the head.
    I think it is going to be a battle between Poz and Vela for POTY assuming that both remain healthy. To score with both feet like that is just incredible.

I'm not sure that the rest league has fully noticed - they are all excited about LA at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    I think it is going to be a battle between Poz and Vela for POTY assuming that both remain healthy. To score with both feet like that is just incredible.

I'm not sure that the rest league has fully noticed - they are all excited about LA at the moment.

I agree with you there. Both of them have shown themselves a class above the rest. Barring something unexpected I am confident Pozuelo already has new comer of the year already sown up and it's not even May.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post

Let’s be cautious here. Sometimes guys hit the league on fire but once teams get tape on them they slow up.

It looks very promising I agree but it’s too early to start comparing Poz to Vela. I’m shocked the latter still plays in MLS. He looked World class at the World Cup, i’m suprised someone didn’t swoop in with a monster offer after that. Might have been too soon after his transfer to LAFC.