RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MLSE president and CEO Michael Friisdahl will step down at the end of next month.

https://www.tsn.ca/mlse-maple-leafs-...down-1.1747248

At the time of Tim Leiweke's departure Friisdahl was completely opposite of what TL and that is exactly what MLSE wanted at the time. It will be very interesting to see what direction they go this time. I have to think Masai will be in the mix regardless of Edward Rogers past attempts. Politics here could come into play, based on the views and desires of different board members with their own agendas.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/bring-it-i...pute-1.6223040
    Last edited by Red CB Toronto; 01-18-2022 at 05:40 PM.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently we're looking for a culture reset. Who really knows what that means.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post

Tim and Michael were complete opposites when it came to their profile and what they brought to the table. One was a showman and the other a bean counter who preferred to stay in the background. I think the culture was quite different under one to the other. We also have to remember MLSE lost three of it most senior executives in the last few years and they simply were not replaced. The trio were front and centre in MLSE's marketing and sales efforts. Dave Hopkinson actually was in the mix for the top job last time , loosing out and moving on to senior position with Real Madrid.

https://www.msgsports.com/leadership/david-hopkinson/

https://www.mlb.com/press-release/pr...evenue-officer

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tom-pistore-b63a301

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

buzzwords go bzzzzzz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some who is interested in sports? Someone who shows up for his job every day?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Has anyone ever seen this guy interviewed anywhere during his time at MLSE, he was simply a ghost.

Unlike predecessor Tim Leiweke, who was well familiar to the sports world through his presidency of Los Angeles’s AEG, new Maple Leafs Sports & Entertainment chief executive officer Michael Friisdahl arrives without a lofty profile in the sporting realm. Or his own Wikipedia page, for that matter.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/who-is-michael-friisdahl-mlse-new-ceo-maple-leafs-sports-entertainment-air-canada-leafs-raptors-leiweke/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to raise my hand and I say I've never seen the guy speak about any of the teams. TL ruffled so many feathers that MLSE got some weird PTSD going for a recluse ceo(no offense).

Give Masai the job honestly, he has that TL swag along with a more diplomatic approach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Has anyone ever seen this guy interviewed anywhere during his time at MLSE, he was simply a ghost.

Unlike predecessor Tim Leiweke, who was well familiar to the sports world through his presidency of Los Angeles’s AEG, new Maple Leafs Sports & Entertainment chief executive officer Michael Friisdahl arrives without a lofty profile in the sporting realm. Or his own Wikipedia page, for that matter.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/who-is-michael-friisdahl-mlse-new-ceo-maple-leafs-sports-entertainment-air-canada-leafs-raptors-leiweke/
    To answer your question, the answer is no, I have never seen him interviewed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Culture reset sounds like the man masai after moved Derozan for kawhi.

I never connected the dots, but know his passion is soccer and has compared raptors growing on a global stage like Liverpool.

I'd like to hopefully hear who they'd consider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Hmmm... interesting. Seems somewhat abrupt; returning to his roots? Maybe Covid fatigue and a reset and / or poaching?
    As with some other experienced executive personnel... MLSE is among the premier sports portfolio operations in North America / world.
    Hopefully, not the canary in the coal mine signal yet.
    I wasn't expecting any turbulence at MLSE to start until sometime well after the various federal regulatory agencies reviews of Rogers acquisition of Shaw were done and that deal received final approvals and started humming along; maybe in a year or two.
    As always, my only caution would be for MU and LT... in the infamous words of Admiral Ackbar... "It's A Trap!".
    For a confluence of emerging and evolving factors, Bogers is unsustainable in the long term.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Do you think this will be pretty straight forward or will we get camps with different ideas like Edward Rogers trying to flex some muscle? I do hope that they go after the established sports exec time even if they are not as large as life Tim was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Do you think this will be pretty straight forward or will we get camps with different ideas like Edward Rogers trying to flex some muscle? I do hope that they go after the established sports exec time even if they are not as large as life Tim was.
    Edward Rogers = Darth Vader

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who cares what Edward Rogers thinks. We know Tannebaum is in the just win camp and if Bell joins him like they did with MU and the Raps, whatever thoughts pass thru Edward Rogers vacant cranium don’t matter.

I’d pencil in Masai right now. 2/3 of the people who matter are on the MU wagon. That 2/3 can decide and inform Mr. Rogers and he could say a word

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Webdogg View Post
    Who cares what Edward Rogers thinks. We know Tannebaum is in the just win camp and if Bell joins him like they did with MU and the Raps, whatever thoughts pass thru Edward Rogers vacant cranium don’t matter.

I’d pencil in Masai right now. 2/3 of the people who matter are on the MU wagon. That 2/3 can decide and inform Mr. Rogers and he could say a word
    Normally, corporately... yes, I would agree.
    My understanding is that there is a 'special relationship' coexistence between them.
    My understanding is, as part of their shareholder agreement, that Bogers must always vote together.
    Without any knowledge of their Board Rules, perhaps if one of those two parties abstains, it negates the other, and the Tanenbaum camp carries.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Webdogg View Post
    Who cares what Edward Rogers thinks....
    Edward Rogers has form for intervening at a personal level in MLSE matters. His desire to put Masai in his place last year speaks volumes.

We don't know how this will all shake out but Edward is a wildcard, especially as he now controls Rogers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Edward Rogers has form for intervening at a personal level in MLSE matters. His desire to put Masai in his place last year speaks volumes.

We don't know how this will all shake out but Edward is a wildcard, especially as he now controls Rogers.
    ✓✓✓✓✓ !!!!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Normally, corporately... yes, I would agree.
    My understanding is that there is a 'special relationship' coexistence between them.
    My understanding is, as part of their shareholder agreement, that Bogers must always vote together.
    Without any knowledge of their Board Rules, perhaps if one of those two parties abstains, it negates the other, and the Tanenbaum camp carries.
    It's been widely reported in the past that if Bell and Rogers disagrees, LT has the deciding vote.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wait, wut?

Why *wouldn't* you want to have Masai as CEO? Maybe I'm out of the loop up here in Ottawa, but is there bad blood between the two of them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It's been widely reported in the past that if Bell and Rogers disagrees, LT has the deciding vote.
    Exactly why I said who gives a shit what Edward Rogers thinks. Bell and LT will be deciding all because they are/have been closely aligning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How’d that power play work out for Edward Rogers? Judging by the fact Masai is still here and making bank shows it didn’t work out so well. He should stick to fighting his family as it’s the only thing he seems to be good at

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is for ensco; catalyst…

I want to comment on an interest of mine; MLSE et al.
    Been compiling my thoughts for some time.
    My fascination went into overdrive by the public circumstances and confusion involving MU’s recent renewed commitment to the organization
    and a new title ascribed to him.
    I am going to share some of my bat-shit crazy inclinations on the subject.
    My white paper of sorts.
    Lots of unfounded, pure speculation, fantasy, implication, connect the dots nonsense, for your amusement.
    Well… maybe sprinkled with an occasional fact, a few bread crumbs and logic along the way; all just for cosmetics.
    I will state this unequivocally… I have no insight. I know absolutely nothing. I have no sense of anything. The following is pure fiction…

IMO Bogers- BCE/Bell Canada and Rogers at MLSE in the long term is unsustainable for a confluence of evolving and emerging factors.

My understanding is that there is a 'special relationship' coexistence between them in regards to MLSE.
    It is a nuanced distinction. Perhaps, a murky legal pit.
    My understanding is Rogers cannot ‘vote’ against Bell with LT; Bell cannot ‘vote’ against Rogers with LT
    Somehow… LT still has the deciding vote if Bogers do not agree with one another on a tabled matter; Oldtimer
    ER is an acquired taste. ER is smart. ER has ambition. ER wants to continue his father’s legacy; empire building.
    ER has a war chest, corporate and personal, can go to the mattresses at anytime with anyone; willing to do so even with family.
    Well… after Shaw is settled; the horizon is his vision.
    Rogers is a ‘Publicly’ traded company controlled and run ‘Privately’ by a family… brilliant shareholder structure template.
    Bell, is not “Family’ driven; their ambitions are less individualistically pushed or pulled; rather, institutionally cold and calculated.
    Rogers and Bell, at any given time across Canada are in litigation or in front of Committees and/or Commissions against one another.
    For a myriad of competing business reasons.
    Rogers owns the Blue Jays.
    IMO Bells involvement in MLSE is tenuous and could be challenged at the right moment if a situation is created due to their involvement with the MTL CDNS and their workaround to be involved with MLSE; the conflict-of-interest emergency break the glass scenario.
    The counterbalance to Rogers and Bell, two of the BIG THREE Oligopoly, the MAD detente, from going to corporate war with one another over MLSE so far… is LT et al.

It is my understanding and important to note, professional sports leagues, given their legal nature, can easily award, deny or take away franchises (force a sale); to or from whomever they please with little blow-back.
    At that ratified air Business is all Relationships.
    My understanding is LT is beloved by the Ownership and Head Office brain trusts of NBA and NHL; lots of goodwill.
    For my argument these leagues for now are currently the two key and critical ones; the kingmakers.
    MLS and CFL at this time do not carry the same weight.
    IMO LT and more increasingly MU are the de-facto MLSE bind to some and parts of those leagues.
    However, there is another league that might in the future yield even greater concern and influence then all these combined.
    Besides being the Chairman of MLSE, LT is or has been an NBA, NHL and MLS Governor, NBA Chairman of the Board of Governors.
    Also, Member of the NBA, NHL, MLS Executive Committees.
    MLSE shareholder Kilmer Sports- LT’s succession and successor should be his family/son Kenneth.
    IMO, however, MU is LT’s MLSE protégé.
    My understanding is that MU too is beloved by NBA Ownership and Head Office brain trusts.
    Not sure about NHL but MU would address some of the many developed modern misconceptions and realities of that sport’s inclusionary future.
    Apart from being TML President, BS is also its NHL Alternate Governor. Apart from being RAP President, MU is also it’s NBA Alternate Governor, and recently titled Vice-Chairman of the Raptors.
    Vice-Chairman of the Raptors being an interesting designation.
    Oddly these secondary titles do not appear on the MLSE Leader website section for MU, meanwhile the one for BS does.
    Even though, I believe the website has been consistently updated with the recent inclusion of ER soldier Staffieri
    Maybe it is not to discomfort the organizations NHL side and BS. The perception slight of the NBA having some sort of edge or precedence over the NHL; the original MLSE and the Canadian identity politics franchise.
    My understanding is that ER does not appreciate MU; does not rate or value his presence within the organization.
    IMO MU is ER’s existential threat within MLSE. The possible future face of MLSE when LT retires.
    My understanding was that others within and outside wanted MU to remain and continue at MLSE.
    Hence rumours during MU’s negotiations that some sort of ownership stake was being considered.
    It may have been a case of being too complicated to figure out due to MLSE Ownership structure or all shareholders just didn’t agree.
    The compromise seems to have been some sort of as yet undefined MU greater involvement role within MLSE; along with $$$.
    What is that role… some speculation is more oversight with TFC; MU’s clearest statements so far suggest greater local and global PR initiatives activity.
    Of course, there is the title Vice-Chairman of the Raptors.
    In simplicity, the Vice-Chairman usually assists and advises the Chairman of the Board – LT and may sit in the absence of.
    My question is which Board?
    My understanding is there is only one board at MLSE; no Raptors Board. I do not think their meetings are siloed according to franchise.
    Perhaps they are.
    Maybe there is a special resolution that MU is present and participates in LT’s absence for only Raptor/NBA matters when they convene but I suspect this would be cumbersome and unconventional. A narrow parameter of the definition of the Vice-Chairman title and role.
    It strikes me odd that MLSE would assign such an uncommon title as a C-suite corporate paper tiger throw away given its general institutional significance; especially in a high-profile organization like MLSE.
    For me, it seems out of place in the executive gamesmanship exchange of title prestige verses remuneration typically offered in much smaller business/corporate settings.
    IMO, for the time being there seems to be some shadow and word play afoot on this matter by MU and MLSE.
    I think in practicality ensco was right in his initial sentiment and was premature in his need to apologize for his statement; really not necessary.
    I think this aspect of the MU story is still being overlooked by all for now for whatever reasons.

The confluence of evolving and emerging factors suggests competing interests and conflicting considerations and decisions by all parties at MLSE in the future; the focus being development, acquisition and control of content and whom would be best at it.
    The global crowning jewel of that endgame would be an NFL franchise.
    IMO an NFL Toronto team is in play and a real possibility by 2030 given their rumoured expansion plans.
    Rogers already had a kick at that can a while ago. Traction was soft. Some may say it was a failure.
    IMO the CFL is dying in TO and with the city’s Gen X, Millennial and Alpha generational and minority demographics; women as well.
    The NFL, only has upside given its roaring success Stateside.
    Like the NBA and MLS, I suspect the NFL holds strong and emerging appeal among such demographics in Toronto/GTA and Canada.
    Toronto would be Canada’s NFL team.
    The question to be asked then is who has the best inside opportunity to represent that.
    Especially with the removal of the NFL’s historical in market non-compete clause requirement.
    Such a franchise is awarded as much to the person as to the corporation they lead and represent.
    So, only the future will tell if it’s E and Rogers or LT/MU and MLSE.
    So too, only the future will tell if MU is steadfast against any ER actions.
    I only hope Mr. Coca-Cola Canada continues to be there to lead and navigate MLSE and offer MU support and guidance.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-25-2022 at 10:08 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is for ensco; catalyst…

I want to comment on an interest of mine; MLSE et al.

[snip]

I only hope Mr. Coca-Cola Canada continues to be there to lead and navigate MLSE and offer MU support and guidance.
    TL;DR
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    TL;DR
    Yes, off course, understood, excessive rantings of a mad fool.
    Less is more; just couldn't.
    Sorry.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I bequeath this space to you and others, Mr Inbetween. Thats' a good speculation.

The dysfunction and solution in the whole Teachers/Peddie thing was so obvious, but this one... I just don't have any feel this time.

It's really about what the legals say, and I am sure lawyers will be paid in bags of gold before all is done.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, off course, understood, excessive rantings of a mad fool.
    Less is more; just couldn't.
    Sorry.
    Great thread even if TLR

The NFL will not come here until every US city that wants a team (bar one - for negotiation purposes ) has a team and they have gone all in on Europe.

However, that doesn’t mean they aren’t fighting over it as you suggest.

Rogers share structure is a travesty.

Fascinating thread. Who is Mr Coca Cola?????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Great thread even if TLR

The NFL will not come here until every US city that wants a team (bar one - for negotiation purposes ) has a team and they have gone all in on Europe.

However, that doesn’t mean they aren’t fighting over it as you suggest.

Rogers share structure is a travesty.

Fascinating thread. Who is Mr Coca Cola?????
    Thank you MightyDM, very generous and kind of you to say about my mad raving.
    Even ensco to comment, but he doesn't count... he caused this meshugass.
    Said my piece, never ever say never, but unlikely to flow ridiculously here like that about something again.
    Takeaway... succinctly... that gives me agita... three words... Vice-Chairman of Raptors.
    I am only a NFL casual- neutral; son and his friends are fanatics.
    You are likely right, Europe- UK @ Spurs or Mexico City. Germany or Spain; NFL Europa lingers.
    Even that settlement business with St. Louis/Rams could have been offset with a franchise but NFL just chump-changed it.
    Rogers... travesty but brilliant.
    Fun fact- trivia... LT et al. owns or owned all their bottling/distribution rights for Canada.
    I enjoy a Coca-Cola Original now and then... sometimes w/rum!
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-28-2022 at 02:56 PM.