Page 6 of 118 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently Colorado waived Shekelzen Gashi. As per MLS roster rules, his contract is guaranteed for this year regardless of who he plays for but whomever claims him are only charges on their cap what they are willing to absorb. https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...shkelzen-gashi

Wonder if he would be worth a flyer on for the year and see if he can be used subbing for Jozy (with Boyd), as a winger, or even as a second striker (if our opposition dictates it).
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The VDW issue is one that TFC should handle carefully. He is being paid. He is training. Use him as a sub. If he raises his level of play, which he is capable of doing, it will be much easier to move him. TFC knows it, and so does he, so everybody wins (and Vanney can relax)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben - D.O.W. View Post
    Ah right, thanks. I guess that would beg the question why the #$%# we didn't do it then. It's not like the bust up with Vanney didn't happen with plenty of time to work that out before the compliance deadline.
    They are allowed one buyout per year. Some of us are wondering if they had to use that buyout to clear out any leftover commitments from Aketxe's contract. And no "journalist" has asked. I don't suppose this came up at the supporter's forum?

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    The VDW issue is one that TFC should handle carefully. He is being paid. He is training. Use him as a sub. If he raises his level of play, which he is capable of doing, it will be much easier to move him. TFC knows it, and so does he, so everybody wins (and Vanney can relax)
    I don't think Vanney wants him back... Maybe if VdW publicly apologizes (hiiiighly doubt he'd do that).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben - D.O.W. View Post
    Ah right, thanks. I guess that would beg the question why the #$%# we didn't do it then. It's not like the bust up with Vanney didn't happen with plenty of time to work that out before the compliance deadline.

This bugs the crap out of me more than the Pozeulo transfer being drawn out. We know that they want rid of him. We know what the deadline was. Ball dropped. This is a HUGE wage that we could have done with bolstering our roster elsewhere and now it seems like were hand cuffed.

The win to start in Phillie was good but if players start wavering then I don't want Vanney hesitating when looking to his bench.

If I understand correctly he's now making his paycheck whether he plays or not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    This bugs the crap out of me more than the Pozeulo transfer being drawn out. We know that they want rid of him. We know what the deadline was. Ball dropped. This is a HUGE wage that we could have done with bolstering our roster elsewhere and now it seems like were hand cuffed.

The win to start in Phillie was good but if players start wavering then I don't want Vanney hesitating when looking to his bench.

If I understand correctly he's now making his paycheck whether he plays or not?
    I think that Aketxe's contract termination must have counted as the buyout making us unable to get any cap savings from buying out vDw. So if that's the case, waiting is the best option.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    I think that Aketxe's contract termination must have counted as the buyout making us unable to get any cap savings from buying out vDw. So if that's the case, waiting is the best option.
    It is late in a close game, our defenders are exhausted. Is it preferable to insert Vanney’s nephew, or VDW? .There are numerous examples of pro players hating each other, but still performing well. And the coach needs to embrace this also. Unless VDW shat in Vanney’s coffee, he should be a sub until things get sorted out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is late in a close game, our defenders are exhausted. Is it preferable to insert Vanney’s nephew, or VDW? .There are numerous examples of pro players hating each other, but still performing well. And the coach needs to embrace this also. Unless VDW shat in Vanney’s coffee, he should be a sub until things get sorted out.

i don't think so - he'd be a cancer in the change room ihmo - i'd loan him out to York 9 or Ottawa until the summer just because...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    This. How much could Browne really cost? Like 100-200k barely?? Get it done.
    You guys make it seem like we should and can sign whoever we please and whenever we want. I really don’t think it’s so simple, there are many factors in play before making any signing. We saw these guys play twice, and based on that we think they will automatically fit in here and excel?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of our CBs, VDW is only better than Zavaleta but at least Zavaleta tries. Leave the floater at Downsview where he belongs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Of our CBs, VDW is only better than Zavaleta but at least Zavaleta tries. Leave the floater at Downsview where he belongs.
    Wonder just what happened to VDW...he was once a terrific defender, enough so, that Bez took a chance on him....perhaps that wife of his wears him out (I say that with tremendous amounts of envy).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah tries alright. Tries to fight the coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I have been thinking about goalkeepers lately. Do people see Bono being our long term option at all? Or is Curtis going to find something more long term to grow with this team?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Valdal View Post
    So I have been thinking about goalkeepers lately. Do people see Bono being our long term option at all? Or is Curtis going to find something more long term to grow with this team?
    Unless Bono starts pulling it out a hat again, I fear he will be back to the bench.
    Why can't Bono control the ball when it is passed back to him, It looks like he panics and just one times it up the field,
    and usually to an opponent our into touch and gives up possession, it is a TimBits Soccer play, wtf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Unless Bono starts pulling it out a hat again, I fear he will be back to the bench.
    Why can't Bono control the ball when it is passed back to him, It looks like he panics and just one times it up the field,
    and usually to an opponent our into touch and gives up possession, it is a TimBits Soccer play, wtf
    Bono feels like he's regressed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we'll be seeing Westberg in a few weeks anyway. If Bono looks dodgy against NER then I would start Westberg in the next match to see what he's got plus to shake up Bono a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Bono feels like he's regressed
    He hasn't been the same since he signed his new contract

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    He hasn't been the same since he signed his new contract
    And wasn't being seriously pushed for his starting spot. He was his best when it was assumed Irwin would reclaim that spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So long term if we want to get back to 2017 level form and compete in CCL in 2020 what do we need? Is Bradley, Altidore, Pozuelo good enough at DP?

I feel like we need the following:

1 elite striker like Giovinco
    1 top end striker like Altidore
    1 elite CAM like Pozuelo
    4-5 quality midfielders/wingers. Bradley, Osorio, Delon, Auro (Being generous with Osorio, Auro and Deleon)
    2 very good CB's: Mavinga
    2 quality RB/LB: Maybe Morrow.
    Depth: Moor, Ciman, Delgado, Hamilton.

It seems at minimum we need a RB, a prime CB, a midfielder, 2 wingers or 1 winger and a striker. That's 5 positions.

How can we keep Bradley and get a Giovinco level forward? Is it even possible? Or will they opt for a TAM level striker/winger and retain Bradley as a DP?

Watching Red Bulls and Atlanta United get their ass kicked was a wake up call that if we want to beat LIGA MX in CCL the limit of what MLS teams can do needs to be exceeded.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    So long term if we want to get back to 2017 level form and compete in CCL in 2020 what do we need? Is Bradley, Altidore, Pozuelo good enough at DP?

1 elite CAM like Pozuelo
    4-5 quality midfielders/wingers. Bradley, Osorio, Delon, Auro (Being generous with Osorio, Auro and Deleon)

It seems at minimum we need a RB, a prime CB, a midfielder, 2 wingers or 1 winger and a striker. That's 5 positions.

How can we keep Bradley and get a Giovinco level forward? Is it even possible? Or will they opt for a TAM level striker/winger and retain Bradley as a DP?

Watching Red Bulls and Atlanta United get their ass kicked was a wake up call that if we want to beat LIGA MX in CCL the limit of what MLS teams can do needs to be exceeded.
    No point in even thinking about it until we see the new CBA.

and win the V-Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No point in even thinking about it until we see the new CBA.

and win the V-Cup.
    when is the new CBA?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 elite CAM like Pozuelo

Seba was special, along with Martinez, the only genuine star forward to join MLS, in his prime. Good luck replacing him, anytime soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Erick Torres anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seba was special, along with Martinez, the only genuine star forward to join MLS, in his prime. Good luck replacing him, anytime soon.
    We aren't trying to replace Seba, and wont, and I agree, special indeed. Magic. My neighbour watches his highlights from Saudi just to take pleasure in his play. We wont see his like again here. We may even have excellent teams, but not a player of his skills and ability and dominance - unless the sport takes off post World Cup from a TV contract perspective. Even then, Seba has international calibre skill. Any bigger a frame and he would have been starting for Juve and Italy and we never would have seen him here. We were blessed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    We aren't trying to replace Seba, and wont, and I agree, special indeed. Magic. My neighbour watches his highlights from Saudi just to take pleasure in his play. We wont see his like again here. We may even have excellent teams, but not a player of his skills and ability and dominance - unless the sport takes off post World Cup from a TV contract perspective. Even then, Seba has international calibre skill. Any bigger a frame and he would have been starting for Juve and Italy and we never would have seen him here. We were blessed
    One of the greatest players in MLS ever but Josef Martinez, Robbie Keane, David Villa and Wayne Rooney all the same or similar tier. Even Zlatan, Valeri and Piatti are very dominant.

It wouldn’t shock me to see a player in the Giovinco tier play here again in the next few years. Pozuelo could be Valeri tier (close to Gio just a small notch below) but I have faith TFC could get another player like him. Maybe in year 3/4 of Pozo’s deal they will bring in a big name player and make a big play in CCL

No doubt that Giovinco was special though and very hard to replace. The fact we got him on a free transfer is crazy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the greatest players in MLS ever but Josef Martinez, Robbie Keane, David Villa and Wayne Rooney all the same or similar tier. Even Zlatan, Valeri and Piatti are very dominant.

It wouldn’t shock me to see a player in the Giovinco tier play here again in the next few years. Pozuelo could be Valeri tier (close to Gio just a small notch below) but I have faith TFC could get another player like him. Maybe in year 3/4 of Pozo’s deal they will bring in a big name player and make a big play in CCL

No doubt that Giovinco was special though and very hard to replace. The fact we got him on a free transfer is crazy
    Zlatan, Rooney, Henry, Pirlo, Kaka....all great players, but well past their prime....MLS continues to be regarded as a retirement league. Finding ways of keeping players like Seba, is necessary for MLS gain respectability

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seba was the best player we have ever had to date, but to say that we will never have a player like that ever again is just plain silly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Seba was the best player we have ever had to date, but to say that we will never have a player like that ever again is just plain silly.
    It won’t be easy. Can you think of another 26 or 27 year old forward/attacking midfielder, playing for a top European or south American NT, joining TFC? Anybody come to mind on the German team, the French, Spain, Italy, England (Maybe Defoe)? And, world class prospects who come to MLS, never stay very long....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It won’t be easy. Can you think of another 26 or 27 year old forward/attacking midfielder, playing for a top European or south American NT, joining TFC? Anybody come to mind on the German team, the French, Spain, Italy, England (Maybe Defoe)? And, world class prospects who come to MLS, never stay very long....
    If MLS gets rid of the salary cap it wont take long to see guys better than Giovinco coming over. I believe without a cap MLS could become a top 6 or 7 league withing a few years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your argument assumes MLS's status remains the same as now. But, as we've seen, it's status continues to grow every year. Its presence is getting larger and larger on the world stage (just look at this off-season and the transfer madness - for Pozuelo, we are more desirable than a potential UEFA CL team).

In 5 years, who knows how big we'll be? I think there's a great chance for mid-20s players who aren't getting regular time in Europe to want to come to MLS.