Page 57 of 118 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,710 of 3511
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Manning is probably involved in the big ticket stuff but you think he's getting involved in picking players up in the re-entry draft, keepers from France etc etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I am certain he is involved in everything, as he was with Bez until 2018
    I got the impression that he is aware of everything, but only personally gets directly involved in discussions with the big stuff. They have a very open management style with Manning, Curtis, and Vanney discussing things all the time. So Manning knows everything and everybody has input on everything. Vanney also knows who Curtis is drafting. Curtis knows Vanney's formation plans, etc. It's a team.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 05-08-2019 at 09:09 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They could have traded for Calvo, who would have solved the CB depth problem. Cost Chicago $150K in TAM this year and next. He was the captain in Minnesota. A WC starter.

This isn’t that hard.
    But was pushed to the bench due making frequent costly errors at the back. Loons fans were not sad to see him go. Is that what we want? Just to sign a guy who fits the position we could use help in even if he has issues? Isn't that what everyone says is wrong with Ciman?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was just announced that Accam's been traded to the Crew. Still a chance to see a late TFC move?! LOL. I wonder if TFC were at all interested, could have been a potential fit. Price was a bit steep, though.
    Last edited by Bobo; 05-08-2019 at 10:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I don't want a move because we are trash.

I want a move to make us better.

We were told they were ready to make one, had the info to make one & were trying to make one.

We will not be as better in the next few weeks as we could have been if they had figured out how to make such a move.
    I get this. But...you have to look at opportunity cost. If you make a move now that precludes moves in the summer window when more is available, you lose an opportunity to make us better. If we really needed the player because results are bad, then maybe that's worth it. But we have the luxury to wait at the moment in my view.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So with the window closed, the salary data dump should be coming in the next few days.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I get this. But...you have to look at opportunity cost. If you make a move now that precludes moves in the summer window when more is available, you lose an opportunity to make us better. If we really needed the player because results are bad, then maybe that's worth it. But we have the luxury to wait at the moment in my view.
    This is pretty much what I've been trying to say. Better to wait for something potentially awesome than settle for what you can get right now. Seen enough examples over the past few years of a July acquisition turning a whole team around.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    So with the window closed, the salary data dump should be coming in the next few days.
    You never know we shall see. Very glad Ali and company did not rush into a move , make one for the sake of doing it. Stay the course and build the team they see fit is all that I can ask.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    It was just announced that Accam's been traded to the Crew. Still a chance to see a late TFC move?! LOL. I wonder if TFC were at all interested, could have been a potential fit. Price was a bit steep, though.
    To me he has been mediocre at best at the Fire & Union. He would have provided pace but that's about it. He is pretty much Oduro 2.0.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am thinking it’s time to sign Jacob and give him a first team shot. Also want to see what we got in Griffin Dorsey. Time to give him a run out.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the only concern i have is the lack of depth.with jozy ,bradley and oso at the gold cup and may miss 4 to 6 games ...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    the only concern i have is the lack of depth.with jozy ,bradley and oso at the gold cup and may miss 4 to 6 games ...
    Not sure Jozy will be going there. Fraser or Delgado for Bradley I guess but we wouldn't have gotten a replacement at his position in this window anyway. Chapman for Osorio makes sense as well.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ I would tend to agree.

The only real option I see for the U.S. off of TFC is Bradley getting called in.
    Chapman and Fraser should be left behind as well.
    Chapman in for Oso. Fraser could spell Bradley for the CanChamp.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it would be nice to have a cheyrou type player for these kinda situations

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Jozy is fit, he's going to the Gold Cup.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    If Jozy is fit, he's going to the Gold Cup.
    Can't see him with being injured unseating any of the 4 MLS forwards Berhalter already had in Spring camps & friendlies. Plus at least one international forward has to be there or the USMNT Twitter will go volcanic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greg Vanney would never sign David Accam. Vanney values stable competitive mentality above all else. If Bez hadn’t been here I highly doubt we’d have Mavjnga, or any player who seems to value his own judgments over team harmony. In fact I would hazard a guess he was relieved to see Seba and Vasquez go. Once we one a title and they were both seeking new deals they were probably both insufferable. Seeing how some top players behave, I wouldnot be shocked if Vasquez’ injuries last year were of the work-to-rule variety. That’s one of the things he was accused of in Mexico.

I’m not saying it’s always right, as sometimes a headcase is so good or important you just accommodate.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Can't see him with being injured unseating any of the 4 MLS forwards Berhalter already had in Spring camps & friendlies. Plus at least one international forward has to be there or the USMNT Twitter will go volcanic.
    Berhalter doesn't care about twitter & he's openly stated that Jozy is part of the plan moving forward.

If he's fit, he's gone.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But was pushed to the bench due making frequent costly errors at the back. Loons fans were not sad to see him go. Is that what we want? Just to sign a guy who fits the position we could use help in even if he has issues? Isn't that what everyone says is wrong with Ciman?
    Calvo was until very recently the cornerstone piece on that team.

26 years old. Starter for a very good World Cup team.

Got offside with Adrian Heath, didn’t think Heath was using him right (he switched him to LB) or treating him right, which is probably a positive in my mind!

I would have taken Calvo over Gonzalez, given what he makes ($500K). Save the allocation spot for a winger in July.

TFC were asleep at the switch here. This was the Moor replacement, served up on a platter. Calvo will be an effective CB in this league for years.
    Last edited by ensco; 05-08-2019 at 12:51 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we played more with dedicated wingers I’d agree but we have two way system. I think Jacob has the speed and skill to make it, but it was clear In the preseAson that his immature read of the match off the ball would make him a tremendous defensive liability. Laryea, who I suspect they brought in because he’s domestic and cyle larins best friend, is also a defensive liability but he’s ahead of Jacob.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy will be gone for Gold Cup if fit without a doubt. Chapman will probably be gone too as a roster player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me he has been mediocre at best at the Fire & Union. He would have provided pace but that's about it. He is pretty much Oduro 2.0.
    I do think Accam has more in his locker than Oduro did, his awful 2018 notwithstanding. He's capable of actually beating defenders, rather than just kicking the ball forward and hoping to outrun them. Two seasons removed from a stellar year, just didn't work out for him in Philly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Jozy will be gone for Gold Cup if fit without a doubt.
    Yes. Even if only mostly fit. There is no way he is not going. Jozy's public statements are very focused on this USMNT cycle, and I am sure the team's accommodating stance on this was all discussed and negotiated prior to his extension.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calvo was until very recently the cornerstone piece on that team.

Calvo had a worse 2018 then our defence did

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE let us down again. Oh well, I guess the season tickets are already sold and that’s all they care about. I really wish we could get a proper football ownership for TFC, not one that only cares about organized thuggery like Ice Hockey and the CFL

Very disappointed. I’d really like to know where the money has gone. Giovinco's + Vazquez’s salary does not equal Pozeulo’s

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Woolfe View Post
    MLSE let us down again. Oh well, I guess the season tickets are already sold and that’s all they care about. I really wish we could get a proper football ownership for TFC, not one that only cares about organized thuggery like Ice Hockey and the CFL

Very disappointed. I’d really like to know where the money has gone. Giovinco's + Vazquez’s salary does not equal Pozeulo’s
    Oh you want an new owner? MLSE has probably spent more on TFC than any other owner in the MLS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Oh you want an new owner? MLSE has probably spent more on TFC than any other owner in the MLS.
    Let's get Kraft!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Woolfe View Post
    Pretty funny comment... so typically Toronto (especially Leafs fans)... I think this dates from when MLSE was owned by Teachers and only cared about MLSE's bottom line. MLSE is now owned by 2 media companies, and what they really care about is content. So playoff runs are a must.

You realize that TFC has outspent every other team in the league for the last three years, don't you?

Let's get Kraft!

That'll teach those ingrate Torontonians!!!
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 05-08-2019 at 02:01 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    You realize that TFC has outspent every other team in the league for the last three years, don't you?
    Probably more right? The 2014 to now no? That Defoe year must've been high too.

Also historically we've never been cheap. Stupid for sure but not cheap.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. Even if only mostly fit. There is no way he is not going. Jozy's public statements are very focused on this USMNT cycle, and I am sure the team's accommodating stance on this was all discussed and negotiated prior to his extension.
    TFC can't get in the way of Josh playing for the USMNT, that's a FIFA rule, he has to be released. So not quite sure what would have to be negotiated during the extension discussions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Shaffelburg, I've watched every TFC II game this year and I like him, but he needs some more polishing before I'd call him up. Right now he's basically very good in isolation and counter-attacking scenarios and passable at best deeper in midfield, during build-up or on the defensive side of things. Needs work on his passing and releasing the ball quicker when not in the attacking third.

He's very quick and agile, good dribbler and has a pretty solid strike, I've seen him get off some strong attempts even under pressure and off-balance. I would give him the year in USL no question but moments like this from last game (at 0:47) are enticing: