Page 49 of 118 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 3511
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was a couple of years ago but you know he won a CCL with Pachuca?

KJ confirmed on the Caps broadcast that they are in negotiations for both Omar and Janson but both negotiations arent a "foregone conclusion" for both and said Tigre are difficult to negotiate with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From tonight’s pre game show as we react to some MLS news. Includes my latest on Toronto FC’s pursuit of Omar Gonzalez & Lucas Jansen and why 🇨🇦 @MarkThEwizz is on track to be an MLS All-Star vs Atletico Madrid in July. #TFCLive https://t.co/g93FXTrCxH

Omar and Janson are the targets for Tuesday's deadline. I think Omar is here for Tuesday but Janson is not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    I don’t mind if he’s not an elite CB as long as he’s not brought in here to be elite. With MLS rules you can’t sign 20 high level elite players anyways (1-2 million +)

You pay 30 million for Pozuelo you’re going to get quality, you pay 6 figures for a CB we aren’t getting a top level talent.

If Omar is a depth guy, great. If he’s brought here to be the main stay, we are in trouble.

I’m hoping that he’s a Ciman/Moor replacement (veteran squad rotation player for MLS games) that makes 500-600 k and we bring in at least one elite CB for the start of next season. This would mean our new CB and Mavinga would handle Liga MX and Omar and Zavaleta for MLS or low importance fixtures

I’m in the camp that this is a re-tool year anyways and anything magical from it is just a bonus. My eyes are set on only CCL.

Omar is not the answer for winning a CCL title. Tigres or top MLS/MX teams are probable to torch him

So basically the numbers and intention on how to use him is the key. Omar for 900 k - 1 million as the “guy” to lead the CB would be a nightmare. 500 k as a backup would be alright
    There’s no way Gonzalez is coming here to do anything but start. We will just have to wait and see how he does.

I’m a bit concerned about the recent perception of his play. I also think this team has USMNT beer goggles at times. If this came in another wrapper (e.g. a Costa Rican player who lost his spot in Mexico and was described as a useless pylon by fans) we’d be roundly panning this signing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I don't think we get another CB until the off season & then its a backup #4 level. I can live with a Gonzalez Mavinga pairing over the next few years.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea what to expect from Omar Gonzalez. Very hard to rate a defender based on a couple video clips. Especially judging the things we need if Moor is out: organizational ability and calmness (a bit lacking in our other defenders).

I also take the complaints from the Mexican fans with a grain of salt. He's playing in a much better league there. Could be a great reclamation project like Jozy. (We were heavily warned before he arrived.) Or it could be a bust like plenty of other players who come here. Especially as defense is about confidence and team defending as much as anything else.

This is a guess, but I do have a feeling that returning players do better in MLS, on average, than mid-level foreign signings, who seem to turn out meh about as often as not (especially with TFC)?

Then again, we have no idea if they'll actually be able to sign Gonzalez by the 7th. We already blew $2 million extra to get Pozuelo here a few weeks earlier, because they didn't get deals done at the right time. If Gonzalez is supposed to be a TAM deal, they'll be much more restricted in what they can do to get him here before the official end of his contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    There’s no way Gonzalez is coming here to do anything but start. We will just have to wait and see how he does..
    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yeah, I don't think we get another CB until the off season & then its a backup #4 level. I can live with a Gonzalez Mavinga pairing over the next few years.
    Edit: I just checked and Ciman is a 2 year contract not 1 so we won't be affording two additional CB's 500 + k.

I was hoping VDW's money (800 + k) would go to a new CB and Moor/Ciman's money would go to Omar.

in 2018 With Mavinga, Moor, Van Der Weil and Morrow the investment was over 2 + million on our top best 4 defenders.

If they go cheaper at RB could they afford 3 CB's over 500 + k but I didn't realize Ciman was here until 2021. Damn it.
    Last edited by Defoe; 05-04-2019 at 10:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Edit: I just checked and Ciman is a 2 year contract not 1 so we won't be affording two additional CB's 500 + k.

I was hoping VDW's money (800 + k) would go to a new CB and Moor/Ciman's money would go to Omar.

in 2018 With Mavinga, Moor, Van Der Weil and Morrow the investment was over 2 + million on our top best 4 defenders.

If they go cheaper at RB could they afford 3 CB's over 500 + k but I didn't realize Ciman was here until 2021. Damn it.
    . Ciman was brought here to solve our defensive problems. He hasn’t.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure I like the direction we seem to be moving to be a rehab clinic / foreign colonial outpost for US MNT players. Morrow, Bono, Jozy, Bradley, Boyd, Delgado, and now a young keeper from Hearts. Can’t believe there isn’t a young Canadian prospect that we could be developing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Not sure I like the direction we seem to be moving to be a rehab clinic / foreign colonial outpost for US MNT players. Morrow, Bono, Jozy, Bradley, Boyd, Delgado, and now a young keeper from Hearts. Can’t believe there isn’t a young Canadian prospect that we could be developing.
    Jayden Nelson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    The problem is that TFC isn’t great at developing and retaining young Canadian talent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Nelson

That really particularly count as an argument at this stage. Based on our track record, it’s more likely Jayden Nelson makes the first team and languishes on the bench behind some fringe USMNT player of the past who looks like he should be a power lifter instead of a soccer player.

I like a lot of things the coaching staff does here but they’ve been sub par at developing local talent and at giving the local talent opportunities to make it on the first team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if we dont sign a winger...i would give nelson a chance,at least on the bench.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    if we dont sign a winger...i would give nelson a chance,at least on the bench.
    Nelson needs to play though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he may be the best winger type player we have at the club right now.lol

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's 16 playing against 16 year olds. Maybe pump the brakes.

And who's this magical left winger the US has who we could get? Last I heard, they were using FB's as left wingers because they don't have one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Re: Nelson

That really particularly count as an argument at this stage. Based on our track record, it’s more likely Jayden Nelson makes the first team and languishes on the bench behind some fringe USMNT player of the past who looks like he should be a power lifter instead of a soccer player.

I like a lot of things the coaching staff does here but they’ve been sub par at developing local talent and at giving the local talent opportunities to make it on the first team.
    This is spot on. They have a real blind spot there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    He's 16 playing against 16 year olds. Maybe pump the brakes.

And who's this magical left winger the US has who we could get? Last I heard, they were using FB's as left wingers because they don't have one.
    im not getting your point

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's going to be bias no matter who's managing. The Bez/Curtis show has leaned towards USMNT for obvious reasons. It's leaned towards French players because Vanney's around. Nelsen had a preference for England. Winter for the Netherlands.

I think this has more to do with an affinity for players they know than it has to do with a lack of impetus to develop local talent. Further to that is management's developed connections with agents, players, other managers, etc.

I'm confident that if a player is good enough they'll get time. Because we shoot for the stars, in an ideal situation, we have players all over the pitch that are going to be hard to unseat. Because we're in MLS and have DPs we're going to find it difficult to slot players in in their positions. We have excellent players in the XI right now and a player is going to have to be very good to get a shot.
    Last edited by portu; 05-04-2019 at 11:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    There's going to be bias no matter who's managing. The Bez/Curtis show has leaned towards USMNT for obvious reasons. It's leaned towards French players because Vanney's around. Nelsen had a preference for England. Winter for the Netherlands.

I think this has more to do with an affinity for players they know than it has to do with a lack of impetus to develop local talent. Further to that is management's developed connections with agents, players, other managers, etc.

I'm confident that if a player is good enough they'll get time. Because we shoot for the stars, in an ideal situation, we have players all over the pitch that are going to be hard to unseat. Because we're in MLS and have DPs we're going to find it difficult to slot players in in their positions. We have excellent players in the XI right now and a player is going to have to be very good to get a shot.
    You’re right.

The development of players in North America is hindered by a bunch of factors that are endemic to the system, which doesn’t exactly help MLS teams develop players either (though there are examples of it happening).

Every team buys where they buy either because it works to an extent or because of corruption and “business relationships.” Look at Wolves. Look at the Belgian league scandal. PSG is rumored to be bringing in a Zahavi-friendly staff. Mendes is basically a meme at this point.

While we’ve seen players from all over join TFC, some of the biggest misses were (the entire decade the team sucked) + bad pickups for reasons unrelated to football.

If we look at the “current” iteration of TFC it’s obvious that the FO has chosen USMNT players, players with MLS experience, Ligue 1 pedigree players, rebuild projects, and Belgian player of the year winners.

With the exception of rebuild projects, which are going to be hit or miss, and some of the other players fall into this category as well, they’re going for a known quantity. While the Curtis era is now upon us, looking at Bez basically showed us exactly who we were going to hire for the most part. You knew he was going to bring in USMNT players, MLS lifers, and French league players because that’s what he (and Vanney) know. Belgian league POTY worked out well, bringing in people like Vazquez and Pozo.

All of our big flops in recent memory had more to do with mentality than footballing ability. There’s the odd misstep on players who legitimately suck (Kantari), but even someone like Perquis was a good pickup at the time.

Buying “known quantity” players who aren’t set for retirement is not a bad strategy for MLS. They’re mostly buying people who understand the way things are going to work here. Young players and developing players is a hit or miss approach. Buying technically gifted South Americans is the same. You don’t have infinite money with which to make mistakes, and you can have “depth” (we did) but it’s superficial.

While Aketxe was a bust and VdW had (has always had) attitude issues, I’d rather take these busts on TAM than DP mistakes like Kaku and Pity.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    You’re right.

The development of players in North America is hindered by a bunch of factors that are endemic to the system, which doesn’t exactly help MLS teams develop players either (though there are examples of it happening).

Every team buys where they buy either because it works to an extent or because of corruption and “business relationships.” Look at Wolves. Look at the Belgian league scandal. PSG is rumored to be bringing in a Zahavi-friendly staff. Mendes is basically a meme at this point.

While we’ve seen players from all over join TFC, some of the biggest misses were (the entire decade the team sucked) + bad pickups for reasons unrelated to football.

If we look at the “current” iteration of TFC it’s obvious that the FO has chosen USMNT players, players with MLS experience, Ligue 1 pedigree players, rebuild projects, and Belgian player of the year winners.

With the exception of rebuild projects, which are going to be hit or miss, and some of the other players fall into this category as well, they’re going for a known quantity. While the Curtis era is now upon us, looking at Bez basically showed us exactly who we were going to hire for the most part. You knew he was going to bring in USMNT players, MLS lifers, and French league players because that’s what he (and Vanney) know. Belgian league POTY worked out well, bringing in people like Vazquez and Pozo.

All of our big flops in recent memory had more to do with mentality than footballing ability. There’s the odd misstep on players who legitimately suck (Kantari), but even someone like Perquis was a good pickup at the time.

Buying “known quantity” players who aren’t set for retirement is not a bad strategy for MLS. They’re mostly buying people who understand the way things are going to work here. Young players and developing players is a hit or miss approach. Buying technically gifted South Americans is the same. You don’t have infinite money with which to make mistakes, and you can have “depth” (we did) but it’s superficial.

While Aketxe was a bust and VdW had (has always had) attitude issues, I’d rather take these busts on TAM than DP mistakes like Kaku and Pity.
    May I add, Curtis was the architect of the RBNY development system, which is a clear win for them in terms of being able to put out players. That, however, takes a while. Long enough that we're going to need to wait to get domestic players into the lineup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    May I add, Curtis was the architect of the RBNY development system, which is a clear win for them in terms of being able to put out players. That, however, takes a while. Long enough that we're going to need to wait to get domestic players into the lineup.
    Also correct.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tigres beat Union in the round of 16 playoffs so I doubt they will be letting Janson go before Tuesday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Tigres beat Union in the round of 16 playoffs so I doubt they will be letting Janson go before Tuesday.
    im ok with that TBH..he would be a good add.but he doesnt fit what they really need.speedy winger.that would move oso more into the middle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    im ok with that TBH..he would be a good add.but he doesnt fit what they really need.speedy winger.that would move oso more into the middle.
    They’d just play him up top paired with Jozy or whoever, like he did before.

If the intent is to play through the wings, we actually need two wingers and backups, as our current number of starting XI quality wingers is 0.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    I feel like a key aspect of that is the system based approach. That way you can plug players in and get similar results.

We, on the other hand, play systems that create reliable platforms for our key players to make the difference. We play methodically, which sometimes results in a well-worked goal, but give license to key players (Pozo/Seba) to be creative. There's a reason guys defer to Bradley, Pozo, and Jozy so often. I'd argue that that creativity is often the reason we score and is why when a key player goes out the whole system often gets changed. We saw it yesterday. The system was solid, but you can't plug Hamilton in for Jozy and get them to do the same thing. For the most part, chances arrived because key players took initiative (Oso's dribble and Pozo's chip to Jay). This makes plugging and playing reserve and youth players way harder.
    Last edited by portu; 05-05-2019 at 12:23 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I feel like a key aspect of that is the system based approach. That way you can plug players in and get similar results.

We, on the other hand, play systems that create reliable platforms for our key players to make the difference. We play methodically, which sometimes results in a well-worked goal, but give license to key players (Pozo/Seba) to be creative. There's a reason guys defer to Bradley, Pozo, and Jozy so often. I'd argue that that creativity is often the reason we score and is why when a key player goes out the whole system often gets changed. We saw it yesterday. The system was solid, but you can't plug Hamilton in for Jozy and get them to do the same thing. For the most part, chances arrived because key players took initiative (Oso's dribble and Pozo's chip to Jay). This makes plugging and playing reserve and youth players way harder.
    Agreed as well - I think my point with Curtis is that he raised several youth USMNT players from his system - it's weird to say he's biased towards them when that's kind of obvious - but not for the reasons people are implying. Just in general I think that TFC's system does require a touch more experience but that as it was, it didn't do a great job teaching players how to be successful under the one system. Maybe Akinola will be the symbol of things to come.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a huge language overlay in player acquisition.

Why did Nemeth go to SKC and excel, then go to NE and be a stiff, then go back to SKC and excel again? Could it have something to do with the fact that Vermes speaks perfect Hungarian?

You can talk about South America all you want, but teams like Dallas and SKC have massive investment in spanish speaking staff, lots of players who speak spanish, etc. I think we need a more veteran spanish speaking player, if we go down that route.

Other than Manning's relationships in Argentina, I am not sure we have an edge in Central or South America.

It's not required (Auro didn't speak much english when he came) but Auro is a notable exception.

It's also why I think we could get someone from France or Belgium in as one of our signings this spring/summer, we have a amount French DNA now. Especially at the back.

Up front Jozy, Oso and Pozo all speak spainsh, so a spanish speaking winger does make sense.
    Last edited by ensco; 05-05-2019 at 01:20 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    Wasn't Frei's situation a bit different in that they thought they had a wealth of goal tending at the time and Frei was coming off injury and had the biggest salary. I don't remember Frei leaving as a project just that at the time the club thought Bendik was the future
    Yeah Frei didn’t really blossom in Seattle, he was king Stefan here because he was the only decent player over than de Rosario for most of that five year stretch, and one of he best in the league. He just didn’t get credit being in Toronto.

As soon as he moved to Seattle they began talking about whether he could switch to the us from Switzerland. Winning a title fairly
    Quickly there probably didn’t hurt his rep either.
    Last edited by jloome; 05-05-2019 at 02:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Omar currently playing for Atlas. 1-0 up over Rayados B Team at half time.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the looks of things, Rayados B team would beat most of MLS.