Page 46 of 118 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 3511
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hold the phones...Paul Tenorio reporting TFC are in negotiations with Omar Gonzalez.

Toronto​ FC is in​ negotiations to​ sign U.S.​ men’s national team center back​ Omar Gonzalez,​​ three sources with knowledge of the discussions told The Athletic.
    Gonzalez, 30, currently plays with Atlas in Liga MX. He has spent the past four seasons in Mexico after moving to Pachuca in 2015. The veteran defender, who has 49 caps with the U.S—including three appearances at the 2014 World Cup—was recently called in to a U.S. national team camp under coach Gregg Berhalter.
    The 6-foot-5 center back would be subject to the MLS allocation process. However, Toronto FC currently holds the top spot on the list, so it would not need to make any trades in order to complete the signing. Sources said the two sides are currently in negotiations, and the deal is not yet finalized. It was not immediately clear if Toronto FC would use targeted allocation money (TAM) in the signing, however expectations are that Gonzalez would require a salary in that TAM threshold.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Bravo - very good!
    I'm not sure if it was me or Og that used it first but it fits

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Hold the phones...Paul Tenorio reporting TFC are in negotiations with Omar Gonzalez.
    Ugh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    One might begin to think that when Bez then VV & Seba left, that the brain trust started to think about this team being at its best in 2020 rather then 2019.

I get the need to get the right guy but half season new people that make a consistent solid impact BEFORE the next season are rare. Especially in the defence.

This is not yet a playoff team for me.
    The question there, even with this group, is how to maximize the strengths and hide the weaknesses.

Strengths: ball moving players like Poz Bradley Oso Ciman Mavinga Jozy

Hard workers like Deleon Delgado Morrow Boyd Fraser

Reserves like JHams Chapman Ayo

Weaknesses:

Width. Mobility. Goalkeeping.

It will be a year of Vanney. He can mold this group, with the right strategy, formation, subs.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure if it was me or Og that used it first but it fits
    I'm a dedicated post modernist & steal everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone actually watched Omar since he went to Mexico? Any good analysis on him?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warning re Gonzalez. Google searches of Gonzalez seem to be 90%+ related to his USMNT time.

If you think USMNT supporters views of players are useful in figuring out whether someone can be an elite player in MLS... meet Jozy Altidore.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Weaknesses:

Width. Mobility. Goalkeeping.

It will be a year of Vanney. He can mold this group, with the right strategy, formation, subs.
    Possibly sorting itself out but I fear Bono is back in goal this weekend. That seems to be what's happening now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting view...

So Nick Hagglund for Omar Gonzalez, $200K GAM, and $100K TAM. Not a great deal for #FCCincy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's sign Bobby Wood and trade for Nagbe too. Then we'll have half the USMNT team that lost to Trinidad here, and MLS can have "toss a tomato at them" theme nights for our US road games.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just watching some video on him during his Atlas time. From what I can gather, he’s huge. Definitely a danger in the box off set pieces. Seems semi slow to me, which is fine, if he’s a smart CB. Made some nice last ditch challenges, some of which were caused because he was slow. Is he an organizer though? Kinda like Moor?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why the hate for OG.he is not that bad.30.6 ft 5 good on set plays and domestic..hopefully OG and CM can form a good partnership over the next 5 years,if this happens.now get a bloody left winger...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    why the hate for OG.he is not that bad.30.6 ft 5 good on set plays and domestic..hopefully OG

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is quite the transfersoap...looking for the smoke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this is true and TFC sign Gonzales then this is a very good signing for a position that is badly needed, moreover, you are getting a guy who has been on winning MLS Cup winning teams with the LA Galaxy and knows the league no need to acclimatize to the league, he knows it and has won championships in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just watched the Belgium vs USA game from the 2014 World Cup. Don’t watch that game if you want to get hyped about this guy... jeez, him and Besler were pylons that game. Yes yes, I know no one in the MLS will be close to as good as that Belgian team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m not worried about Belgium. The entire league would look like Pylons playing Belgium.

How does he look playing Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, or in LigaMX? That’s a more relevant question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I’m not worried about Belgium. The entire league would look like Pylons playing Belgium.

How does he look playing Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, or in LigaMX? That’s a more relevant question.
    Omar is a good addition. I think he will be a good fit with mavinga. TFC needs someone with height for set pieces. I'm thinking he gets signed before Tuesday then they add a winger on a free in the summer window probably from Argentina. I don't think it makes sense to pay millions for Janson when you can just wait a couple of months and get someone for free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Omar is a good addition. I think he will be a good fit with mavinga. TFC needs someone with height for set pieces. I'm thinking he gets signed before Tuesday then they add a winger on a free in the summer window probably from Argentina. I don't think it makes sense to pay millions for Janson when you can just wait a couple of months and get someone for free.
    Ciman was really supposed to solve our CB problems, so it’s a bit disconcerting to see us spending more money and our allocation spot on this position. Hopefully it works this time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We don't really need to know how it went in Mexico for Gonzalez. He was a huge stud in MLS for 5-6 years.

We just need to know if he's healthy.

I put this elsewhere, but maybe it belongs here... Rodolfo Pizarro won CCL back to back, for Chivas last year and for Monterrey last night. He was in all the series previews last year because he is a bubble Mex MNT guy, but I don’t remember noticing that much from him for Chivas last year. He had a nice game last night though.

Point of this story: Pizarro, a promising 25 year old winger, but not a star, transferred to Chivas for $14M two years ago and for $16M to Monterrey last November.

Point 2 of this story: when Monterrey need a winger, they don’t spend months agonizing over “Jony”, they just go and do it. For 5x what Jony costs.

Point 3 of this story: a lot of guys ride the pines in Mexico and are stars in MLS. I recall there was this Vazquez guy at Cruz Azul ....

MLS is so far behind Liga MX. The whole conversation about that is a joke.

(btw fun fact- we could have had Gonzalez instead of Sam Cronin in the 2009 draft)
    Last edited by ensco; 05-02-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Ciman was really supposed to solve our CB problems, so it’s a bit disconcerting to see us spending more money and our allocation spot on this position. Hopefully it works this time.
    Ciman and Omar could be a good pair based on the styles of play. Mavinga and ciman is too wreckless as a pair and to be fair bez brought him in.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ciman was a move about 2019 & maybe 2020.

Gonzalez is about 2019 - 2024

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just get it done by the 7th!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's sign Bobby Wood and trade for Nagbe too. Then we'll have half the USMNT team that lost to Trinidad here, and MLS can have "toss a tomato at them" theme nights for our US road games.
    Ha, that was good! Worth it to get him just for that reaction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We don't really need to know how it went in Mexico for Gonzalez. He was a huge stud in MLS for 5-6 years.
    True, but the league has changed and evolved since he left. The defending hasn’t got much better, but TAM, and good DP’s have allowed the leagues attackers to jump to a new level. Also, there are a few new organizations that are willing to spend money that teams back then wouldn’t.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Ciman was a move about 2019 & maybe 2020.

Gonzalez is about 2019 - 2024
    Maybe, but if you asked TFC when they signed him I don't think they'd be saying they'd be out CB shopping again now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Maybe, but if you asked TFC when they signed him I don't think they'd be saying they'd be out CB shopping again now.
    They probably had it in the back of their minds knowing Moor's health record and especially when they dealt Hagglund but I think this was the plan for the summer window not this one. However, even if Ciman was in DOTY form now I would still think we'd be looking because Moor will be injured again and Mavinga isn't 100% reliable to remain healthy either. You really need 4 or 5 reliable CBs to run through a whole (successful) season. We were lucky in 2017 because Zavaleta, Hagglund, & Hernandez were all in good form that season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    They probably had it in the back of their minds knowing Moor's health record and especially when they dealt Hagglund but I think this was the plan for the summer window not this one. However, even if Ciman was in DOTY form now I would still think we'd be looking because Moor will be injured again and Mavinga isn't 100% reliable to remain healthy either. You really need 4 or 5 reliable CBs to run through a whole (successful) season. We were lucky in 2017 because Zavaleta, Hagglund, & Hernandez were all in good form that season.
    At this point I consider Moor done, hes missed like 90% of the games the past two seasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    the Mids & RB/LB were in good form too.