Page 38 of 118 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 3511
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL. Stay deluded all you want.

The east is shit this year. TFC have a clear route to win it. Beyond that...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a very real possibility that everyone should consider (and then calm down a bit):

Maybe they had someone in mind whom they were ready to sign, so they said two weeks, but then they found out a better option would be available in the summer (I mean, Arjen Robben asked about coming here, so it's not unreasonable to think there could be other top players interested as well).

So maybe now it's just a wait until the summer, and when we find out who it is we'll say it was well worth the wait.
    Last edited by James17930; 04-24-2019 at 06:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Please...someone... a real rumour. I don’t think I can take anymore Giovinco’s coming back delusions. Make a signing pleeease.
    This x 100 times!
    How the hell can some people seriously think that Seba would come back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Didn't you hear they made a signing today?

First name: Tam
    last name: winger
    Good one!
    Post of the week right here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not expect any concrete move from TFC this week.
    If we'll get one player before the summer, IMO will be in the last 2-3 days of this transfer window, when the deal will be sealed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t get how people can be so agitated about this “sign now vs sign in the summer” thing.

I mean, seriously, how can you possibly know enough to be able to evaluate the choices they are making?

You can only look back at year end.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    LOL. Stay deluded all you want.

The east is shit this year. TFC have a clear route to win it. Beyond that...
    Agreed, but we really have to win the supporters shield because if we don't I estimate our probability of winning the MLS cup in Los Angeles at around 25%-30%

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I don’t get how people can be so agitated about this “sign now vs sign in the summer” thing.

Because its their job to get the pieces in place that they know they needed in September by the beginning of the season, not half way through.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Because its their job to get the pieces in place that they know they needed in September by the beginning of the season, not half way through.
    Its not their job to sign someone just to keep the fans happy. I don't want them rushing into anything just because. That's what July is for, the next major window. Let's see what they do and go from there. Thinking Manning, Curtis and company are doing pretty well after bringing in Alejandro.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup. I don't want us turning into Chicago... inept as fuck

At the very least don't dangle the potential signing in our faces (and with a timeline no less). It agitates the fanbase when you don't deliver and if anything is a disadvantage in negotiations. Whoever comes in is also going to have pretty heavy expectations on his shoulders because of all the sweet sweet time they've taken to identify the right player. I remember when we finally got Urrutti through I was disappointed (including his time at Portland) even though he's a solid striker in this league.
    Last edited by portu; 04-24-2019 at 06:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Its not their job to sign someone just to keep the fans happy. I don't want them rushing into anything just because. That's what July is for, the next major window. Let's see what they do and go from there. Thinking Manning, Curtis and company are doing pretty well after bringing in Alejandro.
    Alejandro was a tire fire from a FO perspective. Scouts (or I think it was Vanney who saw tape on him first) deserve a medal for rescuing that situation. If he turned out to be shit or had an attitude issue or whatever it would look realllly bad.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A simple possibility is that they're targeting someone out of contract for summer and since we're far from desperate now, we can wait and save the transfer fee amortization crap so more moves would be possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't expect to see any more signings until the summer transfer window. All the Front Office travel is just getting their ducks in a row for that time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rather they wait and get the right player than rush to get anyone and get another failure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe they are waiting til the summer when contracts expire so they can offer a higher salary on a TAM deal without having to pay a team for a player. There are plenty of wingers that will be free agents in Argentina that are as good or better than Menendez. Also, if Robben wants to come here on a TAM deal make it happen!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get people disagree but hey...its the internet....healthy discussions etc. etc.

If you know you have a need, and you have identified that need months before the off season starts, and you have scouting targets in place to fit that need - you get that need resolved either during that offsason or at worst during the time when you can bring that player in.

That to me is the competency expectation here.

You can't make me believe there was not a number of possible players who were available who can play for the money on offer that would fit us and fit that need.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Was listening to Extra Time Radio and the name Tim Ream came up. Would be a good Moor replacement. Drew would then be backup. Not a bad move IMO

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You mean like what that inept FO in Seattle did with Lodeiro in 2016? Or Ruidiaz in 2018? Or Rooney or Zlatan?

Total fiascos.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Was listening to Extra Time Radio and the name Tim Ream came up. Would be a good Moor replacement. Drew would then be backup. Not a bad move IMO
    I dont think he could fit on a TAM deal with a transfer fee. Maybe in a year when his contract expires .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Matt Miazga and Omar Gonzalez are other names being thrown around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no thx to tim ream.he is 31 and awful.i doubt they use the first allo spot on average CB like him.vanney mentioned last week...that this has been the most difficult month to close deals he has ever seen...i think clubs and agents are squeezing BIG MONEY TFC for every penny..look at menendez.its been on and off like 3 times already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish they would stop saying there will be a signing withing the next two weeks. Obviously there hasn't been. Just be up front. That said, what's the rush? We're winning.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    .i think clubs and agents are squeezing BIG MONEY TFC for every penny..look at menendez.its been on and off like 3 times already.
    Seemed to work for Genk...

Was thinking this too. Maybe the "2 weeks out" thing was an understanding between parties, but then budget changed with the extra $$ sent to Genk or the targetted party wanted more.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    I believe they are waiting til the summer when contracts expire so they can offer a higher salary on a TAM deal without having to pay a team for a player. There are plenty of wingers that will be free agents in Argentina that are as good or better than Menendez. Also, if Robben wants to come here on a TAM deal make it happen!
    This is the explanation surely. We definitely don't need to make a desperation signing...it has to be the right person. They have set the bar high with the Poz signing. As has been stated we have been working on this for a while so hopefully it fits in really well.

BTW how about Nicholas Sanchez who scored the winner last night for Monterrey. 15 goals in 33 Apertura games from Centreback. 33 year old Argentine ...out of contract this season I think.

I so want to get back to the Campions League games again...that atmosphere last night was magic in Monterrey.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    You mean like what that inept FO in Seattle did with Lodeiro in 2016? Or Ruidiaz in 2018? Or Rooney or Zlatan?

Total fiascos.
    The difference with Seattle is they on purpose ALWAYS wait until the summer. Its their MO.

Toronto didn't, said they were not, and told us they had the leads so that this wouldn't happen.

(this is bantz over a few beers level concern for me, BTW - I'm not all that upset)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The difference with Seattle is they on purpose ALWAYS wait until the summer. Its their MO.

Toronto didn't, said they were not, and told us they had the leads so that this wouldn't happen.

(this is bantz over a few beers level concern for me, BTW - I'm not all that upset)
    Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. The practicality here is now that windows are closed for most other leagues it becomes very hard to transfer in anyway (because the seller can’t buy a replacement until their next window).

So it may well have to be summer. But, you said, that’s really only because of our FO’s own sluggishness.

I’m fine with figuring out how this team operates in the meantime. We still have some question marks about who can be counted on. That said, this may be the difference between being a top seed or not, supporters shield or not at the end of the season. Guys are playing well now but question if we can keep this up, especially now that Altidore has hit his inevitable injury break.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man some of you judge pretty harshly. The loss of SG and VV had to throw a wrinkle into plans made last fall

Personally I'd like to see them in a position to spend another 10 million on a fee to bring in a quality TAM player like the Barco deal worked. The only way they can do that is with an open DP slot. Then do it again year after year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djking2 View Post
    Man some of you judge pretty harshly. The loss of SG and VV had to throw a wrinkle into plans made last fall

Personally I'd like to see them in a position to spend another 10 million on a fee to bring in a quality TAM player like the Barco deal worked. The only way they can do that is with an open DP slot. Then do it again year after year
    I find the bold part to be absolutely nuts. Norwich has built a team that is going to the Premier League on players with no or small fees. Teemu Pukki for example. Or Emiliano Buendia who is a 22 Argentinian attacking mid/winger, who has had a phenomenal season. There are lots of these kinds of players out there. It doesn't take $10 million transfer fees.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I find the bold part to be absolutely nuts. Norwich has built a team that is going to the Premier League on players with no or small fees. Teemu Pukki for example. Or Emiliano Buendia who is a 22 Argentinian attacking mid/winger, who has had a phenomenal season. There are lots of these kinds of players out there. It doesn't take $10 million transfer fees.
    I just noticed your avatar (somehow missed the clue all along in your board name!).

Must be party time over at your house.