Page 17 of 118 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Yeah let's all be honest, we don't actually know what vdW leaving now means in terms of roster and cap hit. Oliver Platt said so himself at the top of his Twitter thread: "I imagine that might mean partial but not full cap relief for TFC." If it was full cap relief, then they likely would have done it earlier. I see no mechanism for that in MLS; otherwise lots of teams would do some kind of "mutual consent" thing. If vdw were going straight to another team, i.e. trade, then there would be cap relief. But they didn't announce a trade, most transfer windows are closed (unless he were moving within MLS), and "mutual consent" means something else.

I doubt we ever get full disclosure about this. Maybe some hints based on where vdW goes next. Folks here in this thread will comment based on how they would like to spin it for the club (good or bad).
    He is now a free agent. No club. Doesn’t that allow him to still be picked up post transfer window closing? For example, Norwich in the Championship needs some upgrades so they can get promoted (only to get relegated but that’s next year)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    He is now a free agent. No club. Doesn’t that allow him to still be picked up post transfer window closing? For example, Norwich in the Championship needs some upgrades so they can get promoted (only to get relegated but that’s next year)
    I believe for Norwich to sign him now he would have had to be a free agent when the english window closes.

Or any European team for that matter.

It's why you see players get released a day or two before the window closes. That way they can still sign for another team after the window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I believe for Norwich to sign him now he would have had to be a free agent when the english window closes.

It's why you see players get released a day or two before the window closes. That way they can still sign for another team after the window.

Nope can’t join. The “window” is a essentially a time when a team can register contracts with their league. If it’s closed you can’t register a new contract so he can’t join.

Hope I don’t sound like I’m talking down I’m just trying to help

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

League rosters are redone & announced every Friday night.

TFC seems to have not completed the loan of Bakero yet

https://www.mlssoccer.com/rosters/2019/toronto-fc

Laryea went to the reserve roster (25-30), so doesnt' count against the cap.

We have 3 senior roster positions (count in the salary cap) & 2 international slots open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    League rosters are redone & announced every Friday night.

TFC seems to have not completed the loan of Bakero yet

https://www.mlssoccer.com/rosters/2019/toronto-fc

Laryea went to the reserve roster (25-30), so doesnt' count against the cap.

We have 3 senior roster positions (count in the salary cap) & 2 international slots open.
    wonder if bakero still counts on the roster has a intl even if he is on loan.that would be stupid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

Makes sense. Thanks for the response.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Webdogg View Post
    Nope can’t join. The “window” is a essentially a time when a team can register contracts with their league. If it’s closed you can’t register a new contract so he can’t join.

not sure you are correct about that. I think teams can sign unattached players any time, at least in the English leagues

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not sure you are correct about that. I think teams can sign unattached players any time, at least in the English leagues
    Ya i think your right cause David Edgar signed in England a couple weeks ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope, 100% wrong, not how it works.

Hope I don't sound like I'm talking down I'm just trying to help because that isn't how it works.

"Free Agents can be signed by a club at any time during the season, if they had been released by their previous club before the end of the transfer window."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomLawrence View Post
    Nope, 100% wrong, not how it works.

Hope I don't sound like I'm talking down I'm just trying to help because that isn't how it works.

"Free Agents can be signed by a club at any time during the season, if they had been released by their previous club before the end of the transfer window."
    The original statement I clearly quoted was could he sign in Europe. You’re stating he can and then posting the follow

.. if they had been released by their previous club before the end of the transfer window."[/FONT]
    So now VDW was released before the signing window closed. Yeah I don’t think but whatever I must be wrong since you said I’m 100% wrong.
    Last edited by Webdogg; 03-23-2019 at 07:26 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The original statement I clearly quoted was could he sign in Europe. You’re stating he can and then posting the follow

So now VDW was released before the signing window closed. Yeah I don’t think but whatever I must be wrong since you said I’m 100% wrong.
    What Areatrasher said was true but you came out with "Nope can’t join. The “window” is a essentially a time when a team can register contracts with their league. If it’s closed you can’t register a new contract so he can’t join." Which you've pulled out of your ass and yes, is 100% wrong.

Show me where I said VDW was released before the transfer window closed? Where did I state he can sign there? Oh wait I didn't. So talking out of your ass once again. It is also the transfer window, there is no such thing as a signing window. Pulled straight out of your ass yet again I see.

So let's break it down.

"The “window” is a essentially a time when a team can register contracts with their league." No, that isn't what the window is at all. So wrong.
    "If it’s closed you can’t register a new contract so he can’t join." Nope that also isn't true. So wrong.

Add that all up and you've got 100% wrong.

Go read Areatrasher's post for some actual facts. Next time don't try act like a know it all and then post something completely nonfactual while resorting to making shit up when you're called on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey. We need no upgrades to win the Championship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Hey. We need no upgrades to win the Championship.
    Hahahahaha. Gotcha.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Areatrasher said was true but you came out with "Nope can’t join. The “window” is a essentially a time when a team can register contracts with their league. If it’s closed you can’t register a new contract so he can’t join." Which you've pulled out of your ass and yes, is 100% wrong.

Show me where I said VDW was released before the transfer window closed? Where did I state he can sign there? Oh wait I didn't. So talking out of your ass once again. It is also the transfer window, there is no such thing as a signing window. Pulled straight out of your ass yet again I see.

So let's break it down.

"The “window” is a essentially a time when a team can register contracts with their league." No, that isn't what the window is at all. So wrong.
    "If it’s closed you can’t register a new contract so he can’t join." Nope that also isn't true. So wrong.

Add that all up and you've got 100% wrong.

Go read Areatrasher's post for some actual facts. Next time don't try act like a know it all and then post something completely nonfactual while resorting to making shit up when you're called on it.
    Gentlemen

You want to discuss facts.

Leave the accusations out. You'll be less prone to misunderstanding.

And feel free to correct me anyone but are they not commonly referred to as

"Transfer" windows for this very reason? A contract transfer from one club to another? It would speak to the difference of an unattached signing.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 03-24-2019 at 08:53 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Gentlemen

You want to discuss facts.

Leave the accusations out. You'll be less prone to misunderstanding.

And feel free to correct me anyone but are they not commonly referred to as

"Transfer" windows for this very reason? A contract transfer from one club to another? It would speak to the difference of an unattached signing.
    I seem to have provoked the debate. And both posters could be half right ie european clubs are clearly free to sign free agents at any time. But perhaps they had to be a free agent before the end of the transfer window. I don’t know but thanks to both sides of the argument for addressing my VdW question! I still think he must have a club (or something else) to go to or he wouldn’t have agreed to a mutual termination - makes no financial sense.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney on the Bakero loan

“With the guys we've sent out on loan, we believe they need to get minutes, be playing consistent games,” said Vanney. “Jon has a future in this league, he needs to play 25 games. Plus, if Jon goes to the US, he's months away from getting his Green Card, so when he comes back he'll be a domestic [on the roster].”
    Bakero comes back as a domestic on the supplemental squad - OK with that.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-24-2019 at 06:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Vanney on the Bakero loan

Bakero comes back as a domestic on the supplemental squad - OK with that.
    He also really needs games to improve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since a discrepancy exists between US and Canada in terms of length of residency to qualify for green card vs permanent resident status, wonder if loaning international players to play in US will become a TFC trend?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post
    Since a discrepancy exists between US and Canada in terms of length of residency to qualify for green card vs permanent resident status, wonder if loaning international players to play in US will become a TFC trend?

curious - - what is the discrepancy between US and Canada in terms of length of residency to qualify for green card vs permanent resident status?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giancarlo Gonzalez poised to sign for LA. They're going to need the allocation spot from us. Should be a tasty trade coming our way.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Giancarlo Gonzalez poised to sign for LA. They're going to need the allocation spot from us. Should be a tasty trade coming our way.
    It would be hilarious if we can snatch Beita back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    It would be hilarious if we can snatch Beita back.
    It would, but I think the priority is a left-sided player right now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    It would, but I think the priority is a left-sided player right now.
    After digging through Twitter web, the rumour is to LA galaxy on a deal already agreed upon for 2 or 3 years. Any galaxy player worth getting? Or just some money. Wonder how mls is gonna bend the rules if we don't feel like selling.

Option 2: galaxy trade for #2 spot from Orlando. Then give us a nominal fee like 100k in gam which we would have to give 50% to Cincy. Then we would get #1 spot again after galaxy use it.
    Last edited by DinamoTFC; 03-25-2019 at 12:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beitashour plays for LAFC, not the Galaxy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only left sided forwards/mids LA have are Pontius & Boateng - neither are TAM worthy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    curious - - what is the discrepancy between US and Canada in terms of length of residency to qualify for green card vs permanent resident status?
    Canadian Permanent Residents don’t count as domestics in MLS full-stop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by timbercorvus View Post
    Canadian Permanent Residents don’t count as domestics in MLS full-stop.
    They do for Canadian teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    They do for Canadian teams.
    They don't. That's one of the inequities between U.S. and Canadian teams. Only Canadian citizens count as domestics. To become a citizen you have to be physically present in Canada with Permanent resident status for at least 3 years within 5. You then apply, do language and knowledge tests, and the application takes over a year to process.

From https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/off...nd-regulations

• U.S.-based clubs: For U.S. clubs, a domestic player is either a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident (Green Card holder) or the holder of certain other special status (i.e., has been granted refugee or asylum status) or a player who qualifies under the Homegrown International Rule. There is no limit as to the number of U.S. Domestic Players on a U.S. club's roster.
    • Canada-based clubs: For Canadian clubs, a domestic player is either a Canadian citizen or the holder of certain other special status (i.e., has been granted refugee or asylum status), a player who qualifies under the Homegrown International Rule*, or a U.S. Domestic Player. There is no limit as to the number of Canadian Domestic Players on a Canadian club's roster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by timbercorvus View Post
    They don't. That's one of the inequities between U.S. and Canadian teams. Only Canadian citizens count as domestics. To become a citizen you have to be physically present in Canada with Permanent resident status for at least 3 years within 5. You then apply, do language and knowledge tests, and the application takes over a year to process.

From https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/off...nd-regulations

• U.S.-based clubs: For U.S. clubs, a domestic player is either a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident (Green Card holder) or the holder of certain other special status (i.e., has been granted refugee or asylum status) or a player who qualifies under the Homegrown International Rule. There is no limit as to the number of U.S. Domestic Players on a U.S. club's roster.
    • Canada-based clubs: For Canadian clubs, a domestic player is either a Canadian citizen or the holder of certain other special status (i.e., has been granted refugee or asylum status), a player who qualifies under the Homegrown International Rule*, or a U.S. Domestic Player. There is no limit as to the number of Canadian Domestic Players on a Canadian club's roster.
    They really need to fix all of that. Canadians should be domestics in the US; the argument that US Immigration rules preclude it is silly and not factual, and results in clubs possibly preferring to develop US players over Canadian as they have trade value etc. I think likely that Permanent Residents should be domestics here although not as clear cut as it might hurt the opportunities for Canadian players.