Page 15 of 118 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    I'm thinking he's just a replacement for bakero.
    oh shit, that makes sense. I guess no one in TFC2 was ready to make that jump?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    TFC signed a dud in VDW. I rate him less than Aketxe because he was out there being a sieve on the right side for a whole season. Aketxe never managed anything. It was almost like a failed trial. If I was Manning I would have been pretty pleased when VDW acted up because it gave TFC a valid reason to bench a TAM level player. I don't see them being worried about the $800K at the cost of challenging the goals against record we had last year.
    The VDW signing is just one of the MLS conundrums. TFC had success with “rebuild” projects: Seba, VV, Jozy, Mavinga, Pozo, Aketxe, etc. Players with pedigree and past success. However, all of them had the drive to succeed here for different reasons.

Vanney isn’t the best coach for a player who came from a very high pedigree but that has attitude and motivation problems.

The same thing has happened to Atlanta at the moment: change of coach, change of atmosphere at the club, players aren’t performing, their big signing is unhappy there, etc. Just switch “rebuild” project to young South American project.

The same thing happens when you hire an retirement option. Some of them show up in MLS, some don’t.

I’m not blaming anyone, but this seems like a bad bet and that’s it. With Curtis now they’ve said the focus on player acquisition and team composition will change. The way MLS basically forces teams to take a risk to improve your team is worse than big leagues gambling on players that don’t work out, because your choice for good players is generally mercenaries, past success hoped to return, or a young guy who you hope ends up being good. If they don’t work out, you’re stuck until you can get them off the books.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    The same thing has happened to Atlanta at the moment: change of coach, change of atmosphere at the club, players aren’t performing, their big signing is unhappy there, etc. ...
    Off topic here:

Atlanta journos have pointed out that the sole source for this "unhappy" comment is an Argintinean columnist /fan boy who loves River Plate, never understood why Pity left & would love to have him back. He's not fitting into their system yes I still think the FdB choice of manager is a poor one.

Bringing it back to on-topic - TFC has been very very good at making sure players & their families adjust to Toronto quickly with lots of supports. Pozuelo coming on Friday is OK in my books if he uses that time to recharge his brain after the last few weeks of drama with Genk & his family grieving a loss. Need him for more then just NYC.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This might be useful about the nearish future

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...jandro-pozuelo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^^I would have thought that you might think it was smart career wise to cool it on social media with people who have just been frog marched for cause, friends or not.... but what do I know?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Cooper didn't tell Vanney in front of the entire team that he would/should be fired.

I'd like to know how many people have ever seen an employee insult his boss in public such that the employee immediately gets walked out of the building.... and then have another co-worker publicly support the fired employee on social media.

The discussion above is generally kind of amusing. There are bosses. There will be respect. Even in the world of football, where the employees clearly can do things the rest of us can't.

The fact that Chris always does stuff like this doesn't change the fact that he may have gone over a line, and there may be consequences
    ^^^^^^Please everyone read this twice^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    uggghh seriously people, some of you need a lesson in Social Interaction

If you are friends with someone at work, and that person has a negative relationship with your boss and is then fired, does that mean you also have that type of relationship with the boss? does that mean you will also be fired? If your relationship with your boss is actually on good terms, does that mean you should never talk to you friend again?

This is basic shit man.
    Well it depends if you got a lazy bum as a friend, and support that type of shit.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^^^^^I would have thought that you might think it was smart career wise to cool it on social media with people who have just been frog marched for cause, friends or not.... but what do I know?
    It's not like players were agreeing with what he did and trashing the club. They were wishing him well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by michaeltfc91 View Post
    I still don't get where the idea of "VDW in the locker room is a cancer" is coming from. Other than his blowout with Vanney in January, where is this coming from?

Was he committed and as much of a workhorse as Michael Bradley? No. And yes, he had falling outs with other clubs and didn't live up to his potential, but I don't see how that justifies completely shutting out a player of his quality. It also seems like quite a few players would welcome him back and he might have learned a hard lesson and could have a bounce back year. I'm definitely on the side of giving him another chance, you don't have much to lose
    I didn't like the thought of it initially, but i'm sort of in agreement now that he should maybe come back and have another chance. People dismiss his quality a lot, but forget he was on the field through our ccl run, and was very good. Not sure we get that far without him on the back line to honest.

There may have to be some consensus among the team players and coach(incase in fact there are "locker room" issues), but apart from that, see how he pans out, and he's gone this summer if it doesn't. I feel like now thats the best way to take advantage of a bad situation, possibly for both parties.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Well it depends if you got a lazy bum as a friend, and support that type of shit.
    Clearly you have a narrow view on what would cause an employee to disagree with a superior in what could be considered an inappropriate manner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’d banish him to the Shadow Realm for this one alone: https://www.instagram.com/p/BgrqQpZn...d=7ec53oi1cqjt
    chapman seems like a tool, a frat boy that never grew up

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMAN80 View Post
    I didn't like the thought of it initially, but i'm sort of in agreement now that he should maybe come back and have another chance. People dismiss his quality a lot, but forget he was on the field through our ccl run, and was very good. Not sure we get that far without him on the back line to honest.

There may have to be some consensus among the team players and coach(incase in fact there are "locker room" issues), but apart from that, see how he pans out, and he's gone this summer if it doesn't. I feel like now thats the best way to take advantage of a bad situation, possibly for both parties.
    Morgan was even better during our CCL run and people always say he's MLS 1.0 and roster bottom trash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys there is zero chance of VDW coming back and playing. That ship sailed the moment they sent him home. No chance Vanney is going to ok this as it would completely undercut his authority with the team. Also if upper management forces Vanney to take him back that’s a move to make Vanney quit or he is just about to be fired

Think about it you have a player who has flamed out at every team he has ever played for, why would he change now? He has his money and doesn’t give a fuck period, all he worries about is his brand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a real shame about this gvw situation.
    He would have been fine as a rb in vanneys 4-3-3.
    Auro could have gone up top on the right and we have jaychaps and DeLeon on the left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They play different positions. Laryea is a depth or USLesque signing and at least doesn’t occupy an international slot.

He’s not really starting quality so I think this may be a favour signing more than anything else? He stuck around here for quite a bit...
    I just meant a body at the end of the pecking order, at least he's Canadian. Apparently Curtis is looking at signing a winger with tam money and he's even looking at a defender. The article was on mlssoccer.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Off topic here:

Atlanta journos have pointed out that the sole source for this "unhappy" comment is an Argintinean columnist /fan boy who loves River Plate, never understood why Pity left & would love to have him back. He's not fitting into their system yes I still think the FdB choice of manager is a poor one.

Bringing it back to on-topic - TFC has been very very good at making sure players & their families adjust to Toronto quickly with lots of supports. Pozuelo coming on Friday is OK in my books if he uses that time to recharge his brain after the last few weeks of drama with Genk & his family grieving a loss. Need him for more then just NYC.
    Too bad. I was hoping he wouldn’t work out!

I assume they’re focusing on a LW, and will just play Deleon at RW until summer if that’s the case.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I thought he was more offensive or box-to-box?
    In preseason I swear remember reading him being played like this too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That style of play works best on a team that has players that regularly try to run in behind. Toronto don’t have that type of player in abundance, but Curtis and Co. are in the market for one. TFC are actively working to make one or two signings using Targeted Allocation Money before the primary transfer window closes on May 7, with Curtis confirming that the club are in the market for at least one winger and potentially a defender.

From MLSsoccer.com

Maybe Andy najar as the winger? But isn’t he a right winger? Deleon is doing a good job there. They need a left winger more than a right winger. As for the defender maybe Giancarlo González? He’s rumoured to be coming back to MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just meant a body at the end of the pecking order, at least he's Canadian. Apparently Curtis is looking at signing a winger with tam money and he's even looking at a defender. The article was on mlssoccer.com
    Yes.

There was really no need to sign him; just a favour to a local guy. He’s already 24 (like Chapman), so it’s not like he’s still young, and we also have pretty reasonable depth in the midfield with Pozo’s arrival.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rocco Romeo was red carded in a FC Copenhagen friendly today. Who I thought was on loan to HB Koge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes.

There was really no need to sign him; just a favour to a local guy. He’s already 24 (like Chapman), so it’s not like he’s still young, and we also have pretty reasonable depth in the midfield with Pozo’s arrival.
    He could be useful when the schedule gets busier especially for the Canadian championships.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He could be useful when the schedule gets busier especially for the Canadian championships.
    Very good point

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Akinola can play out wide too. He did it for U.S.A at the U17 level and mlssoccer recently made a comparison to Paul Arriola. One thing is for certain, we certainty have more quality depth this year out wide. Akinola and Auro Jr are just naturally ready to progress and improve and Deleon and Morrow are good veterans.

My main focus would honestly be

1) CB/RB hybrid to cover Moor /Auro
    2) Young LB with upside (Morgan is not MLS quality and Morrow is post 30)
    3) Improvement on the wing
    4) Midfield depth for Oso, MB and pozo

So I’m inclined to spend on the back line if I’m Curtis. How nice would a Aaron Long and Kemar Lawrence type be?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel we can survive an injury too Altidore Bradley, Osorio etc but how quickly would things go south if Morrow and Mavinga is injured for 2 months

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Akinola can play out wide too. He did it for U.S.A at the U17 level and mlssoccer recently made a comparison to Paul Arriola. One thing is for certain, we certainty have more quality depth this year out wide. Akinola and Auro Jr are just naturally ready to progress and improve and Deleon and Morrow are good veterans.

My main focus would honestly be

1) CB/RB hybrid to cover Moor /Auro
    2) Young LB with upside (Morgan is not MLS quality and Morrow is post 30)
    3) Improvement on the wing
    4) Midfield depth for Oso, MB and pozo

So I’m inclined to spend on the back line if I’m Curtis. How nice would a Aaron Long and Kemar Lawrence type be?
    When Akinola works out at this level as a winger I’ll take it back. But I’m betting he won’t having watched him.

Morrow and Auro aren’t wingers.

We have more depth for midfield than any other position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When Akinola works out at this level as a winger I’ll take it back. But I’m betting he won’t having watched him.

Morrow and Auro aren’t wingers.

We have more depth for midfield than any other position.
    Fine they aren't true wingers but they can play full back in 3-5-2 and can cover in a 4-3-3 if there is an injury. Morrow did it last year (although wasn't GREAT) but they would probably change formations before deploying that strategy. Is Akinola and Deleon enough? Probably not. But with Auro and Morrow we can switch and play the 3-5-2 very in injury scenarios, we have the cover up front but i'm not sure we have the depth on D.

We need a winger, LB, RB. Take your pick where you want to be weak at I guess.
    Last edited by Defoe; 03-21-2019 at 10:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Fine they aren't true wingers but they can play full back in 3-5-2 and can cover in a 4-3-3 if there is an injury. Morrow did it last year (although wasn't GREAT) but they would probably change formations before deploying that strategy. Is Akinola and Deleon enough? Probably not. But with Auro and Morrow we can switch and play the 3-5-2 very in injury scenarios, we have the cover up front but i'm not sure we have the depth on D.

We need a winger, LB, RB. Take your pick where you want to be weak at I guess.
    The point is that we really have no true wingers. We have a guy who plays positions on the right as a utility player, and on the left we have... no one.

Can’t play 4-3-3 with what we have, and if we acquire pieces we are an injury away from not being able to play it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too bad. I was hoping he wouldn’t work out!

I assume they’re focusing on a LW, and will just play Deleon at RW until summer if that’s the case.
    https://www.tycsports.com/nota/futbo...medium=ios_app

New article on Pity not enjoying his time in MLS with more deets.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a press conference today?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Is there a press conference today?
    I think the Sun said Monday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alejandro Pozuelo will be introduced Monday at 2:30pm.