Page 39 of 118 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 3511
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I just noticed your avatar (somehow missed the clue all along in your board name!).

Must be party time over at your house.
    Lol! Sort of in limbo. Technically we need one more point to guarantee promotion. The most Leeds (who is in third) can do is tie us now, but we have a ten goal advantage on goal differential, which is the first tiebreaker. So we're effectively promoted.

As for first place, it's more tenuous than it looks. We're three points up on Sheffield United, so if we win out, we win it for sure. BUT, they have a one goal advantage in the GD. And they play Ipswich next, our biggest rival, who has already been relegated, and probably would have no issue losing 10-0 or something. We play Aston Villa away the last game, which is a pretty tough game. I can easily see it tied, and goal differential deciding in which case we could be in trouble.

I'd really like to win the Championship. It's a very hard league to win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Lol! Sort of in limbo. Technically we need one more point to guarantee promotion. The most Leeds (who is in third) can do is tie us now, but we have a ten goal advantage on goal differential, which is the first tiebreaker. So we're effectively promoted.

As for first place, it's more tenuous than it looks. We're three points up on Sheffield United, so if we win out, we win it for sure. BUT, they have a one goal advantage in the GD. And they play Ipswich next, our biggest rival, who has already been relegated, and probably would have no issue losing 10-0 or something. We play Aston Villa away the last game, which is a pretty tough game. I can easily see it tied, and goal differential deciding in which case we could be in trouble.

Good luck. So dumb to decide a championship based on goal differential. I think it should be head to head record and if tied as well, would love to see a one game winner take all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    I believe they are waiting til the summer when contracts expire so they can offer a higher salary on a TAM deal without having to pay a team for a player. There are plenty of wingers that will be free agents in Argentina that are as good or better than Menendez. Also, if Robben wants to come here on a TAM deal make it happen!
    I am puzzled why people would believe that they are waiting for the summer when they have been saying for 8 weeks "one or two more weeks, we are close to one or two" . not just you, lots of posters - if that is the case, then they failed to do what they tried to do - and preseumeably they thought it was necessary if they were trying to do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I get people disagree but hey...its the internet....healthy discussions etc. etc.

If you know you have a need, and you have identified that need months before the off season starts, and you have scouting targets in place to fit that need - you get that need resolved either during that offsason or at worst during the time when you can bring that player in.

That to me is the competency expectation here.

You can't make me believe there was not a number of possible players who were available who can play for the money on offer that would fit us and fit that need.
    Exactly. much better put than my point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leafsman View Post
    Good luck. So dumb to decide a championship based on goal differential. I think it should be head to head record and if tied as well, would love to see a one game winner take all.
    well, it is a measure of strength season long.

I actually feel bad for Canary. They'll be down pretty soon, mid table like all the others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I am puzzled why people would believe that they are waiting for the summer when they have been saying for 8 weeks "one or two more weeks, we are close to one or two" . not just you, lots of posters - if that is the case, then they failed to do what they tried to do - and preseumeably they thought it was necessary if they were trying to do it.
    exactly stop saying you're close if you are not

its like when i tell my wife im on my way, but im really still just about to hop in the shower

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the Pozosoap showed us that things happen.

They have tickets to sell and were talking it up a bit. Remember a month ago they were still wearing the Panamanian disaster.

It is fine.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the Pozosoap showed us that things happen.

They have tickets to sell and were talking it up a bit. Remember a month ago they were still wearing the Panamanian disaster.

It is fine.
    This

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not fine, they keep saying they want to play 4-3-3 but don't have the guys to do it. if they don't get them in now we have to wait to half way through the season to begin to implement the system they want to use. How is that a good plan?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    It's not fine, they keep saying they want to play 4-3-3 but don't have the guys to do it. if they don't get them in now we have to wait to half way through the season to begin to implement the system they want to use. How is that a good plan?
    Yeah that's part of my unease at all this.

We are playing systems not designed to maximise our strengths but to survive & use what we happen to have now. Our tactics are based on whether Moor is in the lineup & where to put Marky Delgado.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even with a TAM winger, I don't think the 4-3-3 would be the ideal formation for our player personnel. We would be exposed defensively by the quicker clubs in the league. I think a 4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1 suits us best.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have thought the Aron Winter thing would have killed off the formation obsession syndrome.

I occasionally have a rant about fetishizing formation talk, and acting like formations are some massive overriding thing in soccer. I feel it coming on.

We'll play whatever formation suits our best XI on the day, which Vanney has always done, and everyone else mostly does too.

btw Guardiola, whom Vanney sees as a model (no shame in that), has played an 0-10-0 for a lot of the past 10 years. Man City change formation in game all the time. But they move the ball.

Get us players who move the ball and the rest will be fine.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-24-2019 at 08:35 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have thought the Aron Winter thing would have killed off the formation obsession syndrome.

I occasionally have a rant about fetishizing formation talk, and acting like formations are some massive overriding thing in soccer. I feel it coming on.

We'll play whatever formation suits our best XI on the day, which Vanney has always done, and everyone else mostly does too.

btw Guardiola, whom Vanney sees as a model (no shame in that), has played an 0-10-0 for a lot of the past 10 years. Man City change formation in game all the time. But they move the ball.

I agree with you to a point, but Vanney seems to put our best 11 on regardless of whether that is the best team. For example, Endoh is not better than Delgado, but I think the team might be better with him on the pitch because he provides width and penetration. Last year, when Jozy was hurt, I thought (and said here) that Hamilton should be playing because his hold up play was important for the team and no one else could provide that (we kept sending long balls from Bono to Seba for example which was unlikely of success). Our problem at the moment is that Bradley Oso Poz and Chapman are similar players (stylistically) (Marky has fallen back or could be in this group too) deLeon isn’t even that different. And there isn’t really anyone on the bench to change that. Man City today brought on Mane for Fernandinho. We don’t even have Raheem to bring in for Marky to change the balance of the team It’s a structural problem - that’s why it’s important to bring in a winger or teams will keep picking us apart because they have obviously figured out how to do that on a team that is all midfield

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Even with a TAM winger, I don't think the 4-3-3 would be the ideal formation for our player personnel. We would be exposed defensively by the quicker clubs in the league. I think a 4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1 suits us best.
    Yep. Which give or take is what we have been doing.

Yeah that's part of my unease at all this.

We are playing systems not designed to maximise our strengths but to survive & use what we happen to have now. Our tactics are based on whether Moor is in the lineup & where to put Marky Delgado.
    I'd beg to differ considering our current record. If we were 0-0-7 sure but we have only one tie and one loss with how many wins? Can we look better? Absolutely. Will we? I suspect we will at some point. Is it worth freaking out in the mean time? I don't think so.

They've said we were close to signings and who knows what's happened in the meantime. This FO has more or less been fairly secretive about signings, prob for the better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Yep. Which give or take is what we have been doing.

I'd beg to differ considering our current record. If we were 0-0-7 sure but we have only one tie and one loss with how many wins? Can we look better? Absolutely. Will we? I suspect we will at some point. Is it worth freaking out in the mean time? I don't think so.

They've said we were close to signings and who knows what's happened in the meantime. This FO has more or less been fairly secretive about signings, prob for the better.

completely agree with this

i absolutely would have loved a big TAM CB and winger signing by now but so be it... shite happens in the process .....

if we were below 500 i'd for sure be fretting but we're not...

i'm happy, at this point, with prudence

we have the top spot with allocation - and i think that's a CB - Tim Ream or Omar...

besides that we have a TAM winger, or ... options ....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is so true... the only teams that play 4-3-3 are ones that have 11 of the best players in the world. Shit...when I coached rep football..we changed formations 2 or 3 times a game depending on the circumstances. It is what you have to do. If you have a squad that can only play one formation you have a major problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post

iam an arsenal fan but i watch a few of the championship matches, really good football yall play and pukki and is too good for that league heh. Daniel Farke is a great coach too, should be fun seeing him and liverpool face each other next season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    This is so true... the only teams that play 4-3-3 are ones that have 11 of the best players in the world. Shit...when I coached rep football..we changed formations 2 or 3 times a game depending on the circumstances. It is what you have to do. If you have a squad that can only play one formation you have a major problem.

Yet the 2 top teams in PL only play one formation. Pep is Pep, his squad in incredible, but Klopp is where it gets interesting. He has a great defence and attack, but the players he has in midfield, you'd struggle to even try and classify any as world class. His team has been a work in progress and unlike Pep he doesn't necessarily have the strength in depth. What he has is a team that knows their roles to the core, there's no confusion. I say this as a utd fan, coming off a Jose team that changed tactics multiples in games and from game to game. It was clear during his spell that players didn't know their roles, and how could they as they changed so much. I see the 2 sides to this argument but I think the game is moving away from this flexible formation set up. That's not to say Pep and Klopp don't tweak in from time to time, Pep did so yesterday in the Utd game but they have their system that they know and the players do as well. I'd be more inclined to move towards a distinct set up with rooms for tweaks.We don't have all the players we need right now so maybe he's just waiting on that and we will go that route.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya'll know we are 2 years removed from playing a 3-5-2 90% of the time. We did that to focus on the strengths of the team we had back then but also because we were able to smash teams with that.

Right now, we are playing whatever we need to do to make sure we don't get smashed.

That's my unease. Whatever the formation it is we play in a week, I just wish it was something designed for us to succeed rather then something designed to make sure we don't fail.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If by some miracle Seba comes back (or some similar talent up front is acquired)... I shall find it in my heart to forget Vanney's offseason musings and accept that 3-4-1-2 or whatever is the new world beating formation.

Until he changes his mind again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think any formation should focus on the strengths of the team and not overarching ideas about football philosophy.

The issue I see with the current roster is that it more so fits a 4-4-2 diamond or a 3-5-2 but not Vanney’s first choice 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 options.

The team has some tough choices to make if it’s going to continue to head towards playing a new way. Particularly as it relates to Akinola, Hamilton, and Boyd. That’s too many guys who can’t really play anywhere but centrally or (in a stretch) as the second forward in a two forward set.

Some of them will have to be moved in order to make room for wide players. I ask think further back the field we need to look at some guys and ask if they are ever really going to thrive in a 4-3-3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya'll know we are 2 years removed from playing a 3-5-2 90% of the time. We did that to focus on the strengths of the team we had back then but also because we were able to smash teams with that.

Right now, we are playing whatever we need to do to make sure we don't get smashed.

That's my unease. Whatever the formation it is we play in a week, I just wish it was something designed for us to succeed rather then something designed to make sure we don't fail.
    We have 4 wins and a tie through 6 games.

How do you justify the part I bolded?

Also to that....in the 4 games since Pozo came, we set up in a 4-2-3-1 for 3 of them and put a few balls in the net...

First couple games were a bit of a mess tactically sure, but I think Pozo has bought stability to the formation.
    Though with that said, there's the possibility of some tinkering with Jozy out....

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Fuck, you people like to complain about nothing. Why the fuck is everyone so hard up for this 4-3-3? what the fuck is this formation going to do to get better results than we are getting now? Our issues don't lie in our formation - they lie in the shitty mistakes we are making in the back that have nothing to do with formation and everything to do with players (and goalie) positioning and, well, mental issues (aka not having their heads focused on the right things in the game).

Formation won't change Ciman or Mavinga losing their man. It won''t change Bono making stupid decisions in goal. It won't change Auro and Moor being too often injured.

TFC have scored 18 goals this year. The most in the Eastern conference and 2nd most in the league and they have played 2-3 games less than every other team. A rush to get a TAM winger and change to a 4-3-3 isn't needed. They are not in desperate need of goals.

If you want to get your panties in a knot, you should've been crying out for a CB after Drew Moor got injured last year.
    Ya'll are focused on the wrong things - Kinda like you are taking your football cues from the Soccer School of Tom Anselmi.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Fuck, you people like to complain about nothing. Why the fuck is everyone so hard up for this 4-3-3? what the fuck is this formation going to do to get better results than we are getting now? Our issues don't lie in our formation - they lie in the shitty mistakes we are making in the back that have nothing to do with formation and everything to do with players (and goalie) positioning and, well, mental issues (aka not having their heads focused on the right things in the game).

Formation won't change Ciman or Mavinga losing their man. It won''t change Bono making stupid decisions in goal. It won't change Auro and Moor being too often injured.

TFC have scored 18 goals this year. The most in the Eastern conference and 2nd most in the league and they have played 2-3 games less than every other team. A rush to get a TAM winger and change to a 4-3-3 isn't needed. They are not in desperate need of goals.

If you want to get your panties in a knot, you should've been crying out for a CB after Drew Moor got injured last year.
    Ya'll are focused on the wrong things - Kinda like you are taking your football cues from the Soccer School of Tom Anselmi.
    Yeah - it doesn't feel like people have taken a hard look at what the problem is - defensive breakdowns and lack of quality in that back end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you’re mistaking “complaining” for what is simple question about the direction of the club. And it doesn’t necessarily have any negative connotations.

Vanney has been angling towards a formation that doesn’t seem to fit a decent portion of the roster. Does the club continue to move towards the coaches preferred style of play or rather make best use of the players we have?

Sure we’ve got defensive and goal keeping issues (nobody is discounting those). But you can’t ignore that other stuff is going on with the team as well.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 04-25-2019 at 10:19 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If by some miracle Seba comes back (or some similar talent up front is acquired)... I shall find it in my heart to forget Vanney's offseason musings and accept that 3-4-1-2 or whatever is the new world beating formation.

Until he changes his mind again.
    -----Ciman moor mavinga -
    Auro Osorio Bradley morrow
    -------------- pozuelo -
    --------Jozy and Hamilton

That's the best 11 imo with the current roster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can someone be so angry about internet comments? You shouldn’t take it so seriously. People don’t actually still get upset over things people say online, I’d hope? People just like to complain or spitball ideas.

Everyone has acknowledged the need for competent defenders and goalkeepers and were pretty vocal about last year’s awful season being down to consistent injuries especially to the back forcing players out of position to fill in.

The 4-3-3 comments are just down to Vanney and the FO saying they’d like to line up that way and are searching for players to do so, but pretty much everyone here understands that we don’t have the personnel to do so.

People are concerned about the lack of information from the FO, who have “announced” players would be signed weeks ago, but nothing materialized.

Everyone is happy that we’ve started the season well. That doesn’t mean there are no changes that could be made to make the team better (even if it means waiting until summer, when it’s easier to make signings).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think you’re mistaking “complaining” for what is simple question about the direction of the club. And it doesn’t necessarily have any negative connotations.

Vanney has been angling towards a formation that doesn’t seem to fit a decent portion of the roster. Does the club continue to move towards the coaches preferred style of play or rather make best use of the players we have?

Sure we’ve got defensive and goal keeping issues (nobody is discounting those). But you can’t ignore that other stuff is going on with the team as well.

The direction of the club is obvious - they want to go with a system that allows for a wider variety of options to play.
    The
    next phase will derive from a 4-3-3 but we need the right players to come in. It's that simple. There's nothing to question.

If you guys follow world football - and I know you do - you don't just waltz out and get the player you want on the first try. They didn't Get poz on the first try. They seem to have had Menendez signed, but then you know, South America.

If you want to yell at TFC for anything - it should be about opening their mouths and showing their hand too soon. It's clearly tipping off other teams that they can haggle the club for more money - Agents holding out for more money. etc.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Vanney wants to prove he is a great coach, he needs to figure out how to not leak 2+ goals per game. Obviously we could use another CB signing, however i don't think the problem is with personnel, it's something else. And I don't think we can put all the blame on Bono either. Maybe 2 weak goals on him so far this year.

Taking a look at each defensive player individually we are not bad:

RB - Auro, Laryea
    CB - Mavinga, Moor, Ciman, Zavaleta
    LB Morrow, Morgan
    DM - Bradley, Delgado, De Leon, Fraser

So, how can we not leak goals? I think first and foremost you need to accept that fact you should only have 3 attack minded players on the field to start a game. If your 3 players are Jozy, Pozuelo and Osorio, you should be good for 2 goals a game it seems. The other 7 need to be defensive minded / focused. We can't keep getting hit on the counter or over the top or have our full backs all the way in the other box anymore. It isn't worth it.

I think Christmas tree formation 4-3-2-1 works and those 3 mids need to sort of be stay at home midfielders to help out the defense and also need to keep as much possession as possible for us. Also not having both full backs bombing up the field should help a little on the defensive end as well

-------------Altidore
    --------Osorio----Pozuelo
    --DeLeon---Bradley---Delgado
    Morrow--Mavinga--Moor--Auro

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by michaeltfc91 View Post
    CB - Mavinga, Moor, Ciman, Zavaleta

So, how can we not leak goals?
    It's not rocket science - Drew Moor, more specifically, the role he plays on the team, is the issue
    We do not have anyone who can replace him when he gets injured.

Someone should run a record comparison when he is in the squad vs not in the squad. Also as important - run the GA when he's on the pitch vs not.