Page 42 of 118 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 3511
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, Jack has been beating this "why didn't you do this already?" thing since the Chicago game. The other phrase he has started using "there isn't enough technically good players" compared to other MLS teams.

If it wasn't out for the Monday morning commute, the podcast with both him & Caldwell would make a good drinking game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yeah, Jack has been beating this "why didn't you do this already?" thing since the Chicago game. The other phrase he has started using "there isn't enough technically good players" compared to other MLS teams.

If it wasn't out for the Monday morning commute, the podcast with both him & Caldwell would make a good drinking game.
    TFC is very top heavy in terms of its technically skilled players and as you go down the list it gets significantly worse. There are some spots in our starting XI that aren’t filled by technically adept players. They’re not entirely bereft of technical skill like an Sonic Oduro, but they certainly aren’t players most would consider to be solid technically.

Some people weren’t here for or forget (why wouldn’t you want to) the bad years, which is one reason people get frustrated so easily: the drop-off is huge at TFC when you’re going from players like Seba, Pozo, Vazquez, Cheyrou, etc. to players who don’t even appear to have any technical skill whatsoever, like Bono, Boyd, Nephew or Big Ben.

Every team has shit players (Brek Shea), but people have come to expect good performances and watching the lopsidedness in level of player is always going to sting more than watching a competent but unexciting team with lower highs but higher lows. Playing possession-oriented football is probably the easiest way to highlight lack of technical level too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone else wonder why we let Telfer go this season? He made good progress last year before getting injured - scored the first goal in the CPL and was tormenting Hamilton for the first 20 mins. Seems to me that we could use a left wing option on the team - unless they had expected to have someone signed sooner?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Anyone else wonder why we let Telfer go this season? He made good progress last year before getting injured - scored the first goal in the CPL and was tormenting Hamilton for the first 20 mins. Seems to me that we could use a left wing option on the team - unless they had expected to have someone signed sooner?
    Maybe because he went to York university and not Indiana? I have no clue why they wouldn't keep him. It's a perfect loan for york9 though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion, we are 3 pieces away from being a legit Cup contender.

1)CB (Backline leader like Drew Moor)
    2)Winger that can create and finish
    3)A box to box DM to replace Delgado. He’s officially lost it.

Hoping we get 2 of these before the end of the transfer market... thinking we get one. Maybe one more in the summer. Better pray Moor stays healthy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rather we pick up Tristan Borges (who is ours anyway) than bring back Telfer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I'd rather we pick up Tristan Borges (who is ours anyway) than bring back Telfer.
    Telfer fills a need for speed on the left. Borges looked good though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post

Hoping we get 2 of these before the end of the transfer market... thinking we get one. Maybe one more in the summer. Better pray Moor stays healthy.
    1. Omar Gonzalez in the summer window
    2. Left winger from Argentina
    3. Give Fraser a shot or I think DeLeon could be good as a DM but then they need two wingers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been thinking the same especially after yesterday. Also thinking it's time for Delgado to leave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    1. Omar Gonzalez in the summer window
    2. Left winger from Argentina
    3. Give Fraser a shot or I think DeLeon could be good as a DM but then they need two wingers.
    I agree we should give Fraser a shot to at least be a rotation player. I think if he’s playing next to someone more experienced like Bradley he should be fine. He’s not fast but certainly no slower than Delgado and his passing range (one of his strengths) would be an asset.

That said, if we could fit in a new signing that would be fantastic. I look at the impact Atuesta has on LAFC (along with Kaye) makes me wonder how good the 2018 team could have been if Aketxe had actually worked out (and guys were not injured)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not talking about Pick-ups...why was he let go after a reasonably successful start last year. We let too many people go without replacements in place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not talking about Pick-ups...why was he let go after a reasonably successful start last year. We let too many people go without replacements in place.
    Club wanted him playing regular minutes. Telfer would probably have zero minutes in MLS so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Telfer fills a need for speed on the left. Borges looked good though.
    Borges was the best player on the pitch by miles.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we have #3 in DeLeon. But that would require getting a RB.

Personally, I think we need a RB no matter what.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

browne scores a beauty of winner for mtl,meanwhile tfc are picking there nose looking for a winger...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laryea has impressed me. I hope he continues to improve. He has the qualities needed for that position. His attacking threat was sorely missing on that right side last game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    browne scores a beauty of winner for mtl,meanwhile tfc are picking there nose looking for a winger...
    Mtl does a good job acquiring wingers. I Don't know why it's so hard for us to find one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we are fine with Auro at RB he was playing well before the injury. I could see Ciman playing some RB and Laryea looked ok there. Deleon can always fill in at RB, I would rather spend money on another CB because Moor has missed about 80% of the last 50 games.

Browne had a nice goal for the impact, how about TFC goes and signs Ivey for the left wing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dunno im happy to admit when im wrong but i wasnt overly impressed by that Panamanian team or those players. They strike me as depth rather than starters.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Browne scored an inadvertent goal where he did beat a guy on an end dribble (seen Chapman do that BTW) then tries to cross & Schweinsteiger bobbles it right back up to Browne in the goal mouth.

I suspect he's going to be a Jao Platta type and level of player - including the inconsistency.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how is he ours?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Doyle's weekend roundup...

Right now, for TFC, it's the defense that's scary. I keep noticing that they're sitting on that No. 1 spot in the allocation order, and that Omar Gonzalez's season ends next week, as does his contract. Stay tuned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    From Doyle's weekend roundup...
    If this is true, we are throwing spaghetti at the centre half position to see what sticks....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because our defence is shit, we all know it, every other team knows it, Vanney knows it, our players know it, and we adjust our tactics to reduce how shitty the defence is. That we have to score 3 per game otherwise we don't win is not a strategy as much as just what has to happen.

We have the worst goals against per game in the East and the 4th worst in the league.

I'm not hard on the 4-3-3. What I'd like to see is us using a strategy each week, no matter what the formation, built around ensuring we bash teams, rather than ensuring we don't get throttled when Drew Moor isn't in the lineup.

A left sided attacker would help with that as we could then move Osorio deeeper which would move Bradley a tad higher. Heck, moving Ciman to RB as Kristian Jack has suggeseted, would help as it would move Auro up and possibly move DeLeon back which would move Bradley up that tad higher. (Auro is NOT a defender)

Every lineup we have had out there since that first game in Panama has been ensuring our defence doesn't get overwhelmed. That's not a receipe for dominating MLS.

We didn't do that in 2017.

Atlanta didn't do that in 2018.

I don't know if Seattle EVER did that.

LAG doesn't do that.

LAFC isn't doing that.

We want to be a big strong MLS team? Sure, then lets figure out a way to get the horses in place that our game strategy does not revolve around whether Drew Moor is in the lineup.
    hmmmm, interesting....and fair points all around.
    I've been saying since last year (along with many others) that the team should've either been looking for a replacement for Moor, or change things around to suit a reality of life without him.
    Ciman is not the answer, and I think you're on to something when you said a few posts further that perhaps Zavs was the plan there, but that doesn't seem to be working out.
    So where does the team go from there then?.....

Personally, I'd like to see the team settle on a formation; it helps give the team an identity, and can still allow the team to be dominant if the right personnel is included.
    We all should remember that is was pretty much a given that we'd trot out a 3-5-2 every game in 2017, and because we had pretty much the perfect players to run it, teams knew it was coming but couldn't do a damn thing about it.
    Also a bit underappreciated imo was how much more robust our defense was in that formation when the wingbacks would drop back to offer support, as it would basically go from 3 defenders to 5....we haven't been able to replicate it since, and that is where we're lacking imo.
    We are basically defending with 3 and only 3 on most occasions now with LB, and 2 CBs (agree that Auro is not a defender).

I'd like to see if Vanney sticks with 4-2-3-1 when Jozy comes back, as that is where we seem to be best, given the players we have....in that formation, the DM on the right side next to Bradley (usually Delgado) offers the most opportunity to help Auro, and Deleon could as well in that set up, as opposed to a pure 4-3-3 and possibly getting caught too far upfield (and besides, I don't think we have anywhere near the right team to run a 4-3-3 now anyways).

I feel that the team CAN be successful in a 4-2-3-1 set up with Mavinga/Ciman as our CBs....but they can't do it alone....the midfield needs to do their work as well.
    In 2017 we always had at least 7 players putting in the defensive work....I don't see that now, and that's not just a Drew Moor thing.
    Last edited by TFC Tifoso; 04-29-2019 at 09:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Mtl does a good job acquiring wingers. I Don't know why it's so hard for us to find one.
    Montreal doesn’t need technical players capable of building up. They’re a counter attacking team. Our need for wingers require them to cut inside or play wide.

Also Joey Saputo owns Bologna in Serie A.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC didn't let him go, he's on loan. Presumably he could be recalled if necessary.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

They didn't let him go - they sent him out on loan so he could get regular starting minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Also thinking it's time for Delgado to leave
    Delgado is not leaving until Vanney does, and Zavs would probably follow in short order. To me the three of them are a package deal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Delgado is not leaving until Vanney does, and Zavs would probably follow in short order. To me the three of them are a package deal.
    Well Delgado didn't play for a good chunk of 2016.

&

Zavs sat for a good chunk of 2018 & probably only got in last week to give him some minutes cause when we start playing 2 a week, the 4th CB is going to play

(that and I think Ciman is carrying something - his pregame warmup specifically did not have him running hard)

Having watched Haglund play in Cinci - we made the right call there.

Delgado is the logical choice to sit when/if we get in a Tam left sided attacker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Delgado didn't play for a good chunk of 2016.

&

Zavs sat for a good chunk of 2018 & probably only got in last week to give him some minutes cause when we start playing 2 a week, the 4th CB is going to play

(that and I think Ciman is carrying something - his pregame warmup specifically did not have him running hard)

Having watched Haglund play in Cinci - we made the right call there.

Delgado is the logical choice to sit when/if we get in a Tam left sided attacker.
    is Delgado even good depth as this point?