Page 11 of 118 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    But saying that the emphasis is on buying and developing young talent is laughable. That is not what is going on with 90% of the DP spend, and most of the TAM spend.

Let’s be real about TAM, it's being used mostly to buy veterans who make more than the cap (ie “DP lights”), and also a lot to solve the Dero problem of 2010, MLS couldn’t keep screwing over stud homegrowns by paying them 25% of market. There is the odd Mitrica but it's a total outlier right now.
    Considering MLS previously made it known that you weren’t supposed to be using money to buy down domestics and that DP slots should be given to foreign attackers over defenders or keepers, etc. just shows that your line of thinking is correct.

MLS isn’t necessarily a retirement league, but there’s a reason every older player in Europe has their agent linking them to MLS (aka I’ll get more money there), and, more specifically, to Toronto FC (because we were the team with the highest payroll).

Edit: Just as a thought experiment, if TFC decided to go the Atlanta “route” (I’m not even saying this is what they’re doing, but what the internet presents them as doing — hiring young South American talent), why doesn’t the FO just sign up and coming Belgians and French players, considering that’s where their scouts are.

Instead, we’re getting players who once played in France and did okay but were reclaim projects, former Belgian players of the year, and USMNT players coming back from abroad.

The problem is that Parisian suburbs are massively over represented at the top level, but that not every young French player is an Mbappé and every young dude playing in Belgium isn’t KDB. Instead of rolling the dice, like they could with their connections, they’re targeting a specific cadre of player. It’s pretty obvious: Vazquez (the original DP target that ended up being Giovinco), Hanni, Pozo... Cheyrou, Perquis, VDW, the defender who shall not be named from Ligue 2, Mavinga...

TFC isn’t focusing on homegrown or domestic youth for their first team spends when Chapman is still considered a youth prospect for some inexplicable reason...
    Last edited by stegosaurus; 03-19-2019 at 09:38 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name an MLS player that went to the Middle East before Seba and VV did it.

Name an MLS player in his later prime that has ever moved to a bigger league. (Martinez may be the first, we will see.)

You can call us a pre-retirement league for some players, I guess. Pozo will possibly be more interested in middle eastern options in 3 years, sure.

But saying that the emphasis is on buying and developing young talent is laughable. That is not what is going on with 90% of the DP spend, and most of the TAM spend.

Let’s be real about TAM, it's being used mostly to buy veterans who make more than the cap (ie “DP lights”), and also a lot to solve the Dero problem of 2010, MLS couldn’t keep screwing over stud homegrowns by paying them 25% of market. There is the odd Mitrica but it's a total outlier right now.

Almiron and Martinez may cause things to change someday, but they remain a very unique case right now.
    If you hear MLS related podcasts over last couple of weeks, there is a desire to switch to giving TAMs for good domestic players and HGs. Also to become a selling league. (If you believe Garber and MLS GMs)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    If you hear MLS related podcasts over last couple of weeks, there is a desire to switch to giving TAMs for good domestic players and HGs. Also to become a selling league. (If you believe Garber and MLS GMs)
    The next CBA will reflect this new approach. Garber has gone on about this being the next phase to becoming a top 10 league. The rumored rule of having at least one HG in the XI on the pitch at all times is interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the academy Steffan Yeates, Zakaria Abdi, and Kunle Dada-Luke all appeared for Jong FC Twente this afternoon in a friendly. Dada-Luke scored in a 2-0 win over Jong Almere City.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    It's buried somewhere in the off-season thread if you want to go find it, but it was something along the lines of he accused Vanney and the club if not wanting to win, and Vanney shot back with 'maybe if you put more than 30% energy into your game we'd have a better Chance's etc. etc.

Something like that.

I've also thought about what would happen if they gave him a second chance, as long as he was properly contrite, but if the other guys (read: Bradley) don't want him there anyway then it's a moot point.
    I dont want him back on this simply for perpetuating the fanny pack comeback trend

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

90% of this has NOTHING to do with in season moves/speculation/rumours.

Can we not move this talk to another thread? Maybe the MLS roster talk thread is better for this type of discussion.

How/why this thread has become the catch-all for anything is beyond me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David_Oliveira View Post
    90% of this has NOTHING to do with in season moves/speculation/rumours.

Can we not move this talk to another thread? Maybe the MLS roster talk thread is better for this type of discussion.

How/why this thread has become the catch-all for anything is beyond me.
    We all go to this to see the latest. And there isn’t any latest. I don’t mind the chatter. At least it’s something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Considering MLS previously made it known that you weren’t supposed to be using money to buy down domestics and that DP slots should be given to foreign attackers over defenders or keepers, etc. just shows that your line of thinking is correct.
    I've seen this stated on the forum before but I'm not sure what sources there are to prove it. The first TAM player was Omar Gonzalez who was bought down from DP status the summer it was first created, and Graham Zusi soon followed The original intent was to keep domestic players like those two from leaving

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djking2 View Post
    I've seen this stated on the forum before but I'm not sure what sources there are to prove it. The first TAM player was Omar Gonzalez who was bought down from DP status the summer it was first created, and Graham Zusi soon followed The original intent was to keep domestic players like those two from leaving
    Initially that was the plan but in the past couple years the MLS brass have been nudge nudge wink winking teams into not doing that but to use it on internationals. Weren't we trying to do that with Beita to keep him plus have him count for only $150K in cap space and the league said no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Initially that was the plan but in the past couple years the MLS brass have been nudge nudge wink winking teams into not doing that but to use it on internationals. Weren't we trying to do that with Beita to keep him plus have him count for only $150K in cap space and the league said no?
    Yes it was basically what we were trying to do with Beita, but I don't think the league stepped in. In that case, I think it was TFC who thought they were getting a "better" player in vdW and at a lower cap hit, so they passed on trying to make Beita work with the funny money....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by langilleski View Post
    From the academy Steffan Yeates, Zakaria Abdi, and Kunle Dada-Luke all appeared for Jong FC Twente this afternoon in a friendly. Dada-Luke scored in a 2-0 win over Jong Almere City.
    How old is Dada-Luke these days? I know he has been vary highly touted from a young age.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They on loan?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I heard this on Extratime too. I think they look at the Pulisic and Davis fees and it makes them crazy. They think they can wake up in 10 years and have 5 of those a year.

But I am sceptical given the level of resources required, the state of academies, and labour laws in North America.

There are two different strategies here. The “Homegrown” and the “Portugal/Holland”. MLS appears to want to expand both, which adds to my confusion.

Homegrown: The classic strategy of less established leagues everywhere. We've had only four noteworthy guys in this category in 3 years...McKennie went to Germany on a free because he was under 18. I still don’t understand the difference between him and Davies. Tabla, we don’t know, I think a Quebec radio station said $1-2M. Davies, of course. Adams is worth a lot I suppose. Noteworthy that two were Canadian btw.

Portugal/Holland: That's Atlanta with Almiron, the middle stage. Belgium and Mexico also do a ton of this.

I am not sure exactly which MLS wants to pursue. Homegrown strategy would take 20 years plus but makes more sense to me, if you can figure out labour laws. Portugal/Holland, that's big money. Atlanta seem to me like the guy who sat down at the high roller craps table and hit the first time. It doesn’t tell you whether that is a good idea or not.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-19-2019 at 04:21 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post

Yes it was basically what we were trying to do with Beita, but I don't think the league stepped in. In that case, I think it was TFC who thought they were getting a "better" player in vdW and at a lower cap hit, so they passed on trying to make Beita work with the funny money....

In 2017 Beitashgour made $262k garaunteed and at the end of the season qualified as a free agent. MLS limited free agency allows for clubs to offer about 15% max increases(Moor is an example but I'm not sure the exact %). Threshold for TAM has always been $500k. So to keep him on TAM and lower his cap hit by $100k they needed to double his salary. last yea he made $298K at LA At no point did TFC consider making Beta TAM and he was long gone before VDW was on the scene

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are two different strategies here. The “Homegrown” and the “Portugal/Holland”. MLS appears to want to expand both, which adds to my confusion.

Homegrown: The classic strategy of less established leagues everywhere. We've had only four noteworthy guys in this category in 3 years...McKennie went to Germany on a free because he was under 18. I still don’t understand the difference between him and Davies. Tabla, we don’t know, I think a Quebec radio station said $1-2M. Davies, of course. Adams is worth a lot I suppose. Noteworthy that two were Canadian btw.

Portugal/Holland: That's Atlanta with Almiron, the middle stage. Belgium and Mexico also do a ton of this.

I am not sure exactly which MLS wants to pursue. Homegrown strategy would take 20 years plus but makes more sense to me, if you can figure out labour laws. Portugal/Holland, that's big money. Atlanta seem to me like the guy who sat down at the high roller craps table and hit the first time. It doesn’t tell you whether that is a good idea or not.
    First off McKennie didn't go to Germany when he was under 18 because that is illegal and nor was it why he was free. He was free because he wasn't signed to a professional contract, the opposite of Davies.

Additionally, I'm not sure what is confusing. They want both, just the exact same as Portugal and the Netherlands have good producing academies along with their investments in the 18-21 year old range. Utilizing both methods will give maximum results and is why every mid-tier league going emphasizes on both of them.

MLS Academies have only even really been starting to be taken seriously and invested in within the last couple of years. How many academy players do you think clubs produce capable of playing at the highest level? Class of 92s don't just grow on trees and pumped out every year. 4 players from a lower mid-tier league within a couple of years moving to top clubs is a great result. Although is quite the stretch to include Tabla with the other three, he isn't even close to their level. You can add on the likes of Miazga, Yedlin, Shaq Moore, Palmer-Brown, Sargent from IMG which has been closed to focus on MLS academies, Chris Gloster, Alex Mendez, Hyndman etc. have all come from MLS academies and moved to bigger European clubs. The MLS not following compensation guidelines and missing out on money is another discussion, but there has been a good size of talent produced in MLS academies in just the last 2-3 years.

Nor will a homegrown strategy take over 20 years. Why on Earth would it take that long? Manchester City had a decent academy but they've pumped money into it in the past 8-9 years and have already had the likes of Sancho, Brahim Diaz, and Foden come through. It takes max 8 years to see the effects of an academy overhaul, no where close to 20 years. A good academy infrastructure implemented will have an immediate impact and u10s will spend their entire academy life under it which is 8 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    They on loan?
    Believe it is just a trial right now. There wasn't much info other then showing up on the Twente team sheet. And it turns out it after being up 2-0 they lose 3-2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomLawrence View Post
    First off McKennie didn't go to Germany when he was under 18 because that is illegal and nor was it why he was free. He was free because he wasn't signed to a professional contract, the opposite of Davies.

Additionally, I'm not sure what is confusing. They want both, just the exact same as Portugal and the Netherlands have good producing academies along with their investments in the 18-21 year old range. Utilizing both methods will give maximum results and is why every mid-tier league going emphasizes on both of them.

MLS Academies have only even really been starting to be taken seriously and invested in within the last couple of years. How many academy players do you think clubs produce capable of playing at the highest level? Class of 92s don't just grow on trees and pumped out every year. 4 players from a lower mid-tier league within a couple of years moving to top clubs is a great result. Although is quite the stretch to include Tabla with the other three, he isn't even close to their level. You can add on the likes of Miazga, Yedlin, Shaq Moore, Palmer-Brown, Sargent from IMG which has been closed to focus on MLS academies, Chris Gloster, Alex Mendez, Hyndman etc. have all come from MLS academies and moved to bigger European clubs. The MLS not following compensation guidelines and missing out on money is another discussion, but there has been a good size of talent produced in MLS academies in just the last 2-3 years.

Nor will a homegrown strategy take over 20 years. Why on Earth would it take that long? Manchester City had a decent academy but they've pumped money into it in the past 8-9 years and have already had the likes of Sancho, Brahim Diaz, and Foden come through. It takes max 8 years to see the effects of an academy overhaul, no where close to 20 years. A good academy infrastructure implemented will have an immediate impact and u10s will spend their entire academy life under it which is 8 years.
    This is a detailed post with some good points.

McKennie - I really don't know the details about McKennie but it was controversial. https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/soc...e-losses-field
    I know something about the enforceability of contracts for minors in both Canada and the US. - there isn't any. Contracts entered into by minors require parental consent and can be repudiated by the minor. (I assume that Phonzie could have tested that if he had been so inclined, and I wonder if quietly he was cut in on the transfer fee to make this work.)

Why it will take so long? - Notwithstanding your list, the significant majority of top young North Americans wind up in Europe. So yes there is an opportunity, but what are MLS academies really offering top kids? They have no edge. Plus the power of established academies is immense, and they funnel youth players directly to Europe. The existing academies also make life extremely difficult for MLS and aren't looking to cooperate. I don't know if it's 8 years or 20 years, point taken... but it's very very tough. I think the goal should be on developing MLS caliber talent, god knows the league has trouble doing much of that (most teams aren't Dallas or NYRB). Cincinnati had to pay us more than a $1M for a journeyman homegrown. Walk before you run.

Doing both - point taken, but most clubs can't do both (even though there are examples of both strategies within leagues), which is what confuses me because MLS is a single entity and presumably has to pick a system. There is no overlap in resources required between the two so only the very biggest, richest clubs can do both.

Dig into the sales by Eredivisie clubs this year.
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ered...saison_id/2018
    Only Ajax is doing both (selling homegrowns and players they acquire) for real money. PSV Eindhoven Alkmaar, Heerenveen and Zwolle mostly resell players they have acquired. Feyenoord and Groeningen only sell homegrowns. I'm generalizing a bit but the trend is pretty clear.

I don't know Portugal as well but I don't see much homegrown development going on at the big clubs there - looks to me like Porto, Benfica and Sporting Lisbon mostly just trade in vast numbers of 20-25 year olds that they have acquired
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/primei...wettbewerb/PO1
    Last edited by ensco; 03-19-2019 at 07:42 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Believe it is just a trial right now. There wasn't much info other then showing up on the Twente team sheet. And it turns out it after being up 2-0 they lose 3-2
    Wonder if it'll be similar set up to the Singh fella to Brondby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It illegal within FIFA to sign under 18s from outside of your country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The question of academies here and in the States being similar to long-established footballing countries is... not a very good one.

You can pour tons of money into academies and have projects to produce players and a successful national team: Japan has a pretty serious plan, National team has had some success, and they’ve produced players featuring in Europe; China has dumped boatloads of cash for no success whatsoever. Both of these countries have more people than Canada, and one is the most populated country on Earth where athletes are selectively trained from an early age purely for results in athleticism.

The actual football system in North America, the pay-for-play (look at the recent admissions scandal in the States and how heavily “soccer” featured in it demonstrates how truly disgusting this stuff is), the second-class sport, “it’s for pussies,” the mid-20s youth players here, etc...

Canada may produce the odd talent, the odd player who does fine in Europe, but assuming the TFC Academy is going to be sending top-tier talent to Europe on a regular basis and making buckets off it is laughable. Maybe eventually, but not anytime soon.

Only advantage the US has is more people... still not a lot of top US talents abroad, despite the focus on athletics in the States. Assuming it will change there overnight is... also laughable.

Developing players is a huge step, which won’t be coming until an overhaul of the way football works here.

Buying and selling players is complicated for MLS because big teams can’t see a skilled player’s performance in continental competition.

It’s nice to imagine MLS is changing, but a changing MLS with more money for domestics or whatever doesn’t impact how faulty and hideously awful the rest of the “pyramid” is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know Portugal as well but I don't see much homegrown development going on at the big clubs there - looks to me like Porto, Benfica and Sporting Lisbon mostly just trade in vast numbers of 20-25 year olds that they have acquired
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/primei...wettbewerb/PO1
    I haven't paid as much attention the last couple years, but the general view of the Portuguese big 3 transfers styles was that Sporting Lisbon has one of the best academy programs in the world and they were heavy producers of talents that they sell (ie. Cristiano Ronaldo, Quaresma, Eric Dier, Nani, etc).

Porto is regarded as the best "Moneyball" team in the world - buy international players cheap and then sell them for huge money (Hulk(in for €5.5* sold for €40), James Rodriguez [in for €7 sold for 45, Falcao [in for €4*, sold for €40-50], etc) - *initially they bought 50% of the players rights for that amount, they paid more later for the rest

Benfica was more of a big spender buying established players for bigger money.

All three have solid academies (Sporting the best by a large margin) as well. I think MLS would like to model after Porto the most (good academy but specialized in the buy-to-sell market)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    All three have solid academies (Sporting the best by a large margin) as well. I think MLS would like to model after Porto the most (good academy but specialized in the buy-to-sell market)
    Right. Lots of great academies in France too (Lyon is one of the best in the world).

However, thinking MLS (and especially Canadian teams who are even more limited than the American ones in terms of the amount of talent you can possibly find) is going to be killing it as a selling league anytime soon is ridiculous.

The Almiron transfer is a red herring — he probably came to play with Tata and make money. He ended up at Newcastle which by anyone’s evaluation is a dumpster fire. If Martinez goes back to Europe for more money (hint: he won’t), then you have a successful rebuild story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC announced today that forward Jon Bakero has been loaned for the season to Phoenix Rising FC of the USL Championship, pending league and federation approval.
    Bakero, 22, was originally acquired in a trade from the Chicago Fire on July 20, 2018. He made three appearances last season for Toronto FC.
    International spot freed up...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Right. Lots of great academies in France too (Lyon is one of the best in the world).

However, thinking MLS (and especially Canadian teams who are even more limited than the American ones in terms of the amount of talent you can possibly find) is going to be killing it as a selling league anytime soon is ridiculous.

The Almiron transfer is a red herring — he probably came to play with Tata and make money. He ended up at Newcastle which by anyone’s evaluation is a dumpster fire. If Martinez goes back to Europe for more money (hint: he won’t), then you have a successful rebuild story.
    When I say selling league, I don't mean the Porto extreme and selling for huge money. If Mls can become a league buying players for 2-5 million and selling them for 5-10 I feel they would view that as a huge success

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    International spot freed up...
    Good. He certainly wasn't worth that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A roster spot AND an International spot opens up as TFC announces season long loan of Jon Bakero to Phoenix Michael Leach 680 News.

This is sure to bug those who still miss Hasler. It seems to be a move prior to announcing a new signing? A winger?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A roster spot AND an International spot opens up as TFC announces season long loan of Jon Bakero to Phoenix Michael Leach 680 News.

This is sure to bug those who still miss Hasler. It seems to be a move prior to announcing a new signing? A winger?

Darn, second to post this.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post

Darn, second to post this.....

Twice, even...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post

Loans are still on the roster, they count within the 30. You can designate one person each year to open up essentially a 31st spot.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Loans are still on the roster, they count within the 30. You can designate one person each year to open up essentially a 31st spot.
    Bakero was on the supplemental roster. Not a big deal. The international spot opening up is the important thing.