Page 104 of 118 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,120 of 3511
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Nico's flying to the states as per his IG story. Possible he's meeting the team in New York. Would be something special to finally see a TAM winger pull on the shirt lol
    apparently not two weeks then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has the club not announced this? A bit odd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    apparently not two weeks then.
    I bet he comes off the bench, pretty crazy we see this guy before Gallardo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Has the club not announced this? A bit odd.
    Toronto Sun has Ali Curtis on record as saying everything is signed, meanwhile the club would rather tweet about Chapman's new hair than something substantive about a signing which is already signed and sealed, and whose delivery is en route (literally in the air right now).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto Sun has Ali Curtis on record as saying everything is signed, meanwhile the club would rather tweet about Chapman's new hair than something substantive about a signing which is already signed and sealed, and whose delivery is en route (literally in the air right now).
    Not surprising as he is in transit, it will get announced with a pic of him holding up a jersey etc. It’s not like they are under the gun as most media outlets have already reported the signing.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Loan deal - sounds right to me about a player who isn't 100% if this is the right place to be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For reasons I cant identify, I feel good about this guy. Maybe its that he isn't pretending to be anyone but who he is. however, this does have the feel of TFC circa 2012 about it - player who had never heard of us until two days ago; announcement not ready until after announced by the player himself, GM saying for weeks we were close to a signing, etc etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I waded through the EAG version of this forum to see what they’re saying.

Briefly:

- sad he didn’t live up to his potential
    - lack of effort, seriousness, and professionalism
    - would make a good social media guy (do it for the ‘gram!)
    - more twitterer than footballer
    - will be missed/won’t be missed
    - rat leaving a sinking ship (asking for a transfer in winter during relegation battle)
    - mental and confidence issues
    - salary too high, would be lucky to get any money for him, hopefully not paying part of his salary (getting .5-1 million € would be good for some, 3 million € for others)
    - attitude issues with multiple coaches
    - good technique
    - trouble getting past defenders
    - fades out over course of match/season
    - doesn’t play enough
    - his reputation precedes him (re: no French clubs wanting him)
    - talented and good personality, bad fit for managers requiring professionalism
    - not great on the physical side (injuries and performance wise)
    - technically gifted, but that’s it

Keep in mind that this is their version of this place.

The general consensus is that he has talent, but is held back by mentality, work rate, and professionalism. Polarizing, never lived up to the expectations, but kudos on him for fighting back from injury.

It’s interesting to see a bunch of backwater French yokels referring to Toronto as some sort of equally backwater village, haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Statement retracted haha

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Loan deal - sounds right to me about a player who isn't 100% if this is the right place to be
    Kloke's book tells the story of Jozy when he first got here - sitting in the airport wondering why he was doing this and if it was all a good idea.

i.e. Not the first to be 100% sure & won't be the last
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 07-30-2019 at 05:37 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh. Another 'Maybe it will work out here for him.' signing. T. Boyd 2.0?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember when Gilberto said he would score 25 in a season? Yeah means nothing until there actually on the pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boozilla View Post
    T. Boyd was a backup in Bundasliga 2, this guy played in Ligue 1 and actually has skill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boozilla View Post
    Not really. Unlike Boyd, this isn’t about “finding your level.” He’s a talented guy, but his career has been hampered by injury and motivation issues.

If he works hard and has the right attitude, there’s no reason he can’t succeed here barring another injury.

Most Guingamp fans that aren’t just plain negative we’re surprised he didn’t get interest from smaller or lower table Ligue 1 teams (Ligue 2 not so much due to salary), but that probably no one would take a shot on him due to the issues surrounding him.

This ticks the “turn around player’s career” and “French” boxes on the TFC signing bingo.

Hopefully he can get away from the social media in a place where he’s anonymous and can focus on the pitch. I have high hopes; after all, Guingamp knocked PSG out of the cup... in a game Nico didn’t feature. Then again, they lost 9-0 in their next league game against PSG (Nico also didn’t feature).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Not really. Unlike Boyd, this isn’t about “finding your level.” He’s a talented guy, but his career has been hampered by injury and motivation issues.

If he works hard and has the right attitude, there’s no reason he can’t succeed here barring another injury.

Most Guingamp fans that aren’t just plain negative we’re surprised he didn’t get interest from smaller or lower table Ligue 1 teams (Ligue 2 not so much due to salary), but that probably no one would take a shot on him due to the issues surrounding him.

This ticks the “turn around player’s career” and “French” boxes on the TFC signing bingo.

Hopefully he can get away from the social media in a place where he’s anonymous and can focus on the pitch. I have high hopes; after all, Guingamp knocked PSG out of the cup... in a game Nico didn’t feature. Then again, they lost 9-0 in their next league game against PSG (Nico also didn’t feature).
    Also ticks the "good football education" part of the bingo. Montpellier and France U-20s

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also ticks the "good football education" part of the bingo. Montpellier and France U-20s
    Yes, the “pedigree” square

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Remember when Gilberto said he would score 25 in a season? Yeah means nothing until there actually on the pitch.
    Gilberto currently has 17 goals in the Brazilian League, thinks he's gonna be in the running for the Golden boot or whatever it's called down there. He's top of the list rn anyways. Only mention this cuz I saw it the other day hahaha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Davidson got some quotes from Vanney on Frenchie. Emphasis mine. Guess who played together at Bastia?

Benezet, who was acquired using target allocation money with an option to buy, will also add to selection headaches.

"The goal is that he comes and he lights it up here. And that we keep him here and he helps our team moving forward," Vanney said after training Tuesday. "The more stable we can be going from one year to the next has proven for us to be more successful than going through lots of changes."
    Playing a 4-5-1 formation this season with star striker Jozy Altidore leading the attack, Vanney automatically slots captain Michael Bradley and Spanish playmaker Alejandro Pozuelo in the midfield.
    That leaves Benezet, newly acquired Venezuelan winger Erickson Gallardo, Jonathan Osorio, Marky Delgado, Nick DeLeon, Jacob Shaffelburg, Tsubasa Endoh, Jay Chapman and Liam Fraser competing for three starting spots.
    "I've got a lot of tough decisions that I have to make and tough conversations that I have to have. But that's really the way it should be in professional soccer," said Vanney. "It should be difficult to get your way into the (game-day) 18 and into the (starting) 11."
    At 28, with six years of experience in the French top-tier, Benezet is seen as a veteran who can play across the midfield. He can deliver a cross, find an open teammate or ghost in from the midfield to deliver his own scoring threat.
    Vanney got a good review on Benezet from former Guingamp coach Jocelyn Gourvennec, whom he knows.
    "(A) very good soccer player ... Works hard, smart player, good guy," said Vanney.

GM Ali Curtis has brought in Benezet, Gallardo and U.S. international centre back Omar Gonzalez during the summer transfer window. Backup forward Patrick Mullins came in a deal that sent Jordan Hamilton to Columbus. Pozuelo, goalkeeper Quentin Westberg and defender-midfielder Richie Laryea arrived earlier in the year.
    Vanney says the team is likely done when it comes to acquisitions.
    While Benezet and Gallardo have yet to play and Mullins has seen just 49 minutes action, it's been a good haul. Pozuelo has come as advertised, Westberg has taken over as No. 1 'keeper and Laryea is giving Brazil's Auro a run for his money at fullback.
    Striker Terrence Boyd did not work out and is back with his young family in Germany after an unproductive six months. Vanney, however, had nothing but good things to say about Boyd.
    "We were happy to have him because he was a fantastic guy and he worked his butt off every single day."
    The main issue has been timing of the acquisitions. Toronto worked hard to execute some of the deals in the transfer window that was open Feb. 13 until May 7.
    "They didn't close for a variety of different reasons," said Vanney, who only now has the resources to help fill the holes left by the pre-season departure Sebastian Giovinco and Victor Vazquez.
    The coach insists that the 19-year-old Shaffelburg, perhaps the revelation of TFC's season to date, will continue to get playing time despite the arrival of Gallardo and Benezet.
    "I think he's going to play an important role down the stretch. He's earned it," Vanney said of the speedy left-winger, who lives for running at opponents.
    Vanney said Toronto initially was looking to bring in a direct, hard-running winger during the transfer window. But Shaffelburg's rapid progress — he signed with the first team June 21 and has made eight appearances — convinced them to go after a different kind of player in Benezet.
    Gallardo is seen as more of a direct winger, like Shaffelburg. Just 23, with his experience coming from the Venezuelan league, he is still learning.
    Benezet is seen as far more of a finished product, able to operate all over the midfield and function as a winger or as a playmaker behind the striker.
    Listed at five foot five and 134 pounds, Benezet represented France at the under-20 level.
    DeLeon adds to the versatility, giving Vanney several different looks in midfield.
    Toronto (9-9-5) visits the New York Red Bulls (10-9-4) on Saturday. Vanney says Benezet will make the trip, if only to start familiarizing himself with his new team and league. The coach also hopes to get Gallardo going after a quad strain delayed his debut.
    "We'll see. Maybe ready by the weekend," Vanney said. "If not, for sure, we'll use the Canadian Championship ... to get him up to speed."
    Toronto will face Ottawa Fury FC in the Canadian Championship semifinal round Aug. 7 and 14, with Vanney looking to give players like former No. 1 'keeper Alex Bono a chance to shine

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Kloke's book tells the story of Jozy when he first got here - sitting in the airport wondering why he was doing this and if it was all a good idea.

i.e. Not the first to be 100% sure & won't be the last

Thing with Benezet, he specifically wanted to go closer to home. He didn't get it, so he just took the only offer available.

I agree - things can change as we saw with Jozy - but sometimes if a guy wants to go home, he just wants to go home (See Kawhi)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Thing with Benezet, he specifically wanted to go closer to home. He didn't get it, so he just took the only offer available.

I agree - things can change as we saw with Jozy - but sometimes if a guy wants to go home, he just wants to go home (See Kawhi)
    Hopefully Benezet wins us a cup to get the trade back home! I'll take that and let him run for the hills any day.

It's so funny with this team. I have hope and that doesn't feel good due to the TFCPTSD. always waiting for it to fall apart. But if this guy and the mythical Gallardo show up we might have a shot at a deep run. Or end up 7th after a 5-0 on a rainy night in Jersey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s interesting to see a bunch of backwater French yokels referring to Toronto as some sort of equally backwater village, haha.
    I liked the comment some posted elsewhere, from people in broader French football, about him wanting to move to a city that had running water and working internet, lol.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section_105 View Post
    Hopefully Benezet wins us a cup to get the trade back home! I'll take that and let him run for the hills any day.

It's so funny with this team. I have hope and that doesn't feel good due to the TFCPTSD. always waiting for it to fall apart. But if this guy and the mythical Gallardo show up we might have a shot at a deep run. Or end up 7th after a 5-0 on a rainy night in Jersey.
    Here, here. You cannot say they haven't added to the quality and depth upfront but where we ultimately will live or die, is defending the stupid play on a counter attack. I would feel way better with one more quality defender beyond OG & Mavinga. Moore is a warrior and can fill in, Ciman can play with OG but we need someone stronger than Zavs and we can never have Zavs and Ciman by themselves again....just can't. I know its harsh but it is like play your 7-8 D in hockey vs. Crosby or Ovechkin (you may avoid peril, but you are just asking for trouble)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I liked the comment some posted elsewhere, from people in broader French football, about him wanting to move to a city that had running water and working internet, lol.
    Hilariously enough, those farmers and villagers probably have better internet and cell plans than us for a fraction of the price

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hilariously enough, those farmers and villagers probably have better internet and cell plans than us for a fraction of the price
    Yup. Sattelite service that's way better and way cheaper.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, am I following the plot correctly? Did Vanney's recommendation come from a former Guingamp manager that is the exact same guy Benezet publicly blamed (post the manager's departure) for his problems?

(Maybe I am wrong....Just checking to understand the character part of the TFC reference checking machine...)

EDIT: I am not wrong
    http://m.madeinfoot.com/actus/actusDetaillee/280822
    Last edited by ensco; 07-31-2019 at 11:04 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Yup. Sattelite service that's way better and way cheaper.
    100% serviced by high-speed access, 50%+ of people have fibre... cheap triple play. Making me miss it.
    Last edited by stegosaurus; 07-31-2019 at 11:13 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    So, am I following the plot correctly? Did Vanney's recommendation come from a former Guingamp manager that is the exact same guy Benezet publicly blamed (post the manager's departure) for his problems?

(Maybe I am wrong....Just checking to understand the character part of the TFC reference checking machine...)

It is. There’s two things here:

1. They had to get rid of him and no one wanted him, including a coach who shares the same agent. Whether no one wanted him because of drama or because of salary doesn’t really matter.

2. In interviews, Gourvennec has said the issue isn’t him disliking the player, just disliking his attitude, work ethic in both training and during the match, etc. While he was sidelined, he was given opportunities to make it back into the starting XI. Gourvennec was also the person who brought Nico there initially, IIRC.

I think it’s a bit of #1 and #2.

Gourvennec doesn’t necessarily dislike the player, but a coach requiring work rate and professionalism isn’t going to play around with someone who isn’t willing to put in the effort. Nico going to Twitter to joke around didn’t help his case (a further slight against his professionalism). He wasn’t given a single chance; he was giving numerous chances and made very little of them, unfortunately.

Then, facing relegation they were required to dump his salary (and that of another player as well) and attempt to get something in exchange for him. As no Ligue 1 teams were really interested (attitude and performance), and no Ligue 2 teams were interested (attitude and performance, and, more importantly, wages), this was basically the only choice. They’d been trying to get rid of him for a while, and he had also made transfer requests that never amounted to anything (except the TFC loan).

Nothing in the recommendation is false, per se. Nico is a good guy (he’s likeable), he works hard sometimes (getting back into the starting XI post-injury), and he’s a talented player.

After VdW, I doubt they’re going to talk about another TAM player who has had personal clashes with coaches and lacks work rate, effort, motivation, and professionalism, etc. Sweep it under the rug and hope it doesn’t happen.

Guingamp supporters were a bit angry about the move given that MLS is not known for paying transfer fees, and lacking a requirement to buy at the end of the loan leaves them a bit lacking in the monetary department (they’re pretty certain TFC won’t sign him post-loan).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

not the best of circumstances. Sounds liken one of Nelsen or Winter's reclamation projects.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 07-31-2019 at 02:29 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just think it's seriously weird that they made such a big deal about character signings, then sign a guy with a pretty similar recent history to vdW, and then the reference is from the manager that they guy clashed with. Publicly!

(I get that the relegation piece and the need to dump salary are big context. But 95% of players in that situation don’t slag the manager until their career is over. They just don’t .)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”