Page 28 of 118 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay with Twellman on this I'm taking it as legit. Twellman is well connected when it comes to big name moves.

Here's the thing then... I don't see any reason to doubt that Robben would rip the left backs in this league to absolute shreds. He would create a chance every single time we'd be able to isolate him 1v1 against his man. He did this and this 4 months ago.

The problem is you basically have to go into the signing assuming he's going to miss 50% of the games due to re-occurring minor injuries. 35 with a long injury history, that's where he's at.

So is it better to have a true difference-maker, a guy that can win you games by himself, around half of the time, or a decent Janson-type player that's always around, giving you a more consistent XI and pitching in for a goal every 3 games?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Okay with Twellman on this I'm taking it as legit. Twellman is well connected when it comes to big name moves.

Here's the thing then... I don't see any reason to doubt that Robben would rip the left backs in this league to absolute shreds. He would create a chance every single time we'd be able to isolate him 1v1 against his man. He did this and this 4 months ago.

The problem is you basically have to go into the signing assuming he's going to miss 50% of the games due to re-occurring minor injuries. 35 with a long injury history, that's where he's at.

So is it better to have a true difference-maker, a guy that can win you games by himself, around half of the time, or a decent Janson-type player that's always around, giving you a more consistent XI and pitching in for a goal every 3 games?

I'd take Robben, a Janson type and a CB - all three

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Sorry I cant handle the primadonna diving. Pass.

i get that - i hate that aspect of his game as well - but his quality is outstanding - i just loved watching Ribery and Robben when they we "on" at Bayern - pure magic...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also take Eric Giacometti giving the tweet a massive roll eyes seriously as he does press for the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly think the club might just be using Robben as leverage in another deal. Does not fit the mould of any of this club's previous signings in this era. The closest would be Benoit, who was not as old or injury prone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On Bayern if a player like Robben is 90% fit his spot is taken by his replacement. It’s speaks to the quality of the backups and bench player. In MLS probably a 50% fit player like Robben is still better than replacement.

It’s likely Robben has sat out way more at Bayern than he would on most teams so his injury history could be overblown a great deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about Dedrick Boyata from Celtic. He is out of contract - Would think that we could get him as a TAM player. That would fix our CB problems... He and Mavinga with Ciman and Moor as the back ups.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Webdogg View Post
    On Bayern if a player like Robben is 90% fit his spot is taken by his replacement. It’s speaks to the quality of the backups and bench player. In MLS probably a 50% fit player like Robben is still better than replacement.

It’s likely Robben has sat out way more at Bayern than he would on most teams so his injury history could be overblown a great deal.
    Not really. He does have a pretty extensive injury history.

The real question is that while he’d be coming on a free, how does he only warrant a TAM salary unless there’s some LAG accounting going on? He may be 35 but he’d still be one of the league’s best players when fit.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    I also take Eric Giacometti giving the tweet a massive roll eyes seriously as he does press for the team.
    This.

Team has said in a number of ways that they are being linked to players without any actual interest occurring - we just heard it in this very thread today about Curtis denying interest in that Panamanian dude.

This is not happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Not really. He does have a pretty extensive injury history.

The real question is that while he’d be coming on a free, how does he only warrant a TAM salary unless there’s some LAG accounting going on? He may be 35 but he’d still be one of the league’s best players when fit.
    I’m not saying he doesn’t have injury history I’m merely stating that and injury that would cost a player 2-3 games in MLS could cost a player at Bayern 6-8 games since they can easily replace without a major drop off in production since there bench strength is so strong.

In MLS guys look a bit rusty when they come back, at the euro giants nobody comes back unless they’re 100% fit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 15 actual minutes of play we would get from Robben between weekly injuries would be enjoyable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m not saying he doesn’t have injury history I’m merely stating that and injury that would cost a player 2-3 games in MLS could cost a player at Bayern 6-8 games since they can easily replace without a major drop off in production since there bench strength is so strong.

In MLS guys look a bit rusty when they come back, at the euro giants nobody comes back unless they’re 100% fit.
    I see. This is true, though there are many instances where players do play through injuries or are rushed back.

Like others, I’m incredibly skeptical as the initial source is Tier 100, but I’d love to see Robben cutting inside here and Deleon has been pretty decent on the right as well.

If he is fit, he will terrorize MLS défenses and score goals. At the very least, just the threat of Robben is going to free up our other attackers as teams won’t be able to mark out Jozy and Pozo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed if Twellman is going to pick this up there is something to it. Not sure how I feel about this in entirety.

We could easily be in a 3-yr contract and he could look MLS Pirlo-esque after a year. I’d prefer something a little more focused on building for the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Agreed if Twellman is going to pick this up there is something to it. Not sure how I feel about this in entirety.

We could easily be in a 3-yr contract and he could look MLS Pirlo-esque after a year. I’d prefer something a little more focused on building for the future.

if this is true, which i still doubt, i'd imagine it would either be 6 months TAM, and then decision, or 18 months TAM....but who knows...personally, under those conditions, i'd love to see him in TFC red - but i'd also be more than happy with utilizing our 3 potential TAM spots (one summer & two now) - strong commanding/organizing CB; left and right wingers...ultimately i believe we need a CB and 2 creative attackers who can deliver the ball and strike from distance..

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    if this is true, which i still doubt, i'd imagine it would either be 6 months TAM, and then decision, or 18 months TAM....but who knows...personally, under those conditions, i'd love to see him in TFC red - but i'd also be more than happy with utilizing our 3 potential TAM spots (one summer & two now) - strong commanding/organizing CB; left and right wingers...ultimately i believe we need a CB and 2 creative attackers who can deliver the ball and strike from distance..
    Taylor came out with another tweet and said it's not happening , guess he talked to someone at TFC whomever that may be.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see. This is true, though there are many instances where players do play through injuries or are rushed back.

Like others, I’m incredibly skeptical as the initial source is Tier 100, but I’d love to see Robben cutting inside here and Deleon has been pretty decent on the right as well.

If he is fit, he will terrorize MLS défenses and score goals. At the very least, just the threat of Robben is going to free up our other attackers as teams won’t be able to mark out Jozy and Pozo.
    I doubt Robben comes here but you’re right, he will be a force. He’s also pretty versatile too as I have seen him play live a few times over the last couple years and he’s started wide right and also inside left on a 4-1-4-1.

Again it a low chance he comes in my opinion but you never know as MLS is a pretty good gig to squeeze out a few last years. Maybe he’d like to come punish Schweinsteiger on D a couple times per year.

He’s also Dutch and bald which are two things TFC seems to value.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt Robben comes here but you’re right, he will be a force. He’s also pretty versatile too as I have seen him play live a few times over the last couple years and he’s started wide right and also inside left on a 4-1-4-1.

Again it a low chance he comes in my opinion but you never know as MLS is a pretty good gig to squeeze out a few last years. Maybe he’d like to come punish Schweinsteiger on D a couple times per year.

He’s also Dutch and bald which are two things TFC seems to value.
    Yeah, I don’t see it happening either given he’d command a fairly large salary and would improve any MLS team. He’s not a TAM player by any means and TFC isn’t receiving rule exemptions like LAG.

Robben is on the wrong side of 30 for people thinking MLS needs to shed the retirement league moniker but he’s every bit as good as a Zlatan, Rooney or David Villa signing... just more fragile.

For those saying they don’t want a player who dives... that’s absolutely absurd as everyone dives and you need to dive to get calls. Robben is a veteran with a winning mentality. We have no actual wingers at the moment and if you want to brings in young guys who better to learn from than a world class winger?

The mentality of people here is bizarre. Robben is an 85 on FIFA which would make him the best MLS player by ranking probably (some people apparently think FIFA ratings are accurate) but because he dives to get calls and is older they don’t want him... simultaneously rejecting criticisms of Osorio while being negative about Robben because he’s old... lol. He’d be the best player on the team. Imagine Osorio scoring a brace in a CL game...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Taylor came out with another tweet and said it's not happening , guess he talked to someone at TFC whomever that may be.
    My kingdom for a reliable TFC insider...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I don’t see it happening either given he’d command a fairly large salary and would improve any MLS team. He’s not a TAM player by any means and TFC isn’t receiving rule exemptions like LAG.

Robben is on the wrong side of 30 for people thinking MLS needs to shed the retirement league moniker but he’s every bit as good as a Zlatan, Rooney or David Villa signing... just more fragile.

For those saying they don’t want a player who dives... that’s absolutely absurd as everyone dives and you need to dive to get calls. Robben is a veteran with a winning mentality. We have no actual wingers at the moment and if you want to brings in young guys who better to learn from than a world class winger?

The mentality of people here is bizarre. Robben is an 85 on FIFA which would make him the best MLS player by ranking probably (some people apparently think FIFA ratings are accurate) but because he dives to get calls and is older they don’t want him... simultaneously rejecting criticisms of Osorio while being negative about Robben because he’s old... lol. He’d be the best player on the team. Imagine Osorio scoring a brace in a CL game...
    This !!!!!

Best and most honest post in this thread I agree 100%

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post cleaned by admin.
    Last edited by denime; 04-08-2019 at 06:08 AM. Reason: deleted offensive message

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, Wheeler with some information - usually he only says things like this if something is about to drop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The big tease.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    FWIW, Wheeler with some information - usually he only says things like this if something is about to drop

But he said...nothing.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    But he said...nothing.
    It’s the Jony signing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s the Jony signing.
    I would be ok with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ali Curtis effectively confirmed this at the QA in The Craft on Saturday. He said he'd been in Argentina working on signing(s) and later on said he had one or two players very close with just some small details to finish and hoped to announce them quite shortly, so putting two and two together they're very close to signing at least one player from Argentina

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought about the Robben rumour for the last day or so. I’m pretty much against any move that has high risk. It’s almost like gambling unless they have inside information he’s 100 % fit and in form.

Investing in a player that might not be available in a CCL game (like VV) would be really bad for an MLS side that basically needs every starter playing to have a chance. The flip side is Robben is available for those games and we get a bargain on a TAM deal and he puts us over the top, but man that seems like a big gamble.

If getting a slightly better Hector Villalba or Johnny Russel type is an option I go that route.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://youtu.be/AAvfHyo_C28

Just what TFC needs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    https://youtu.be/AAvfHyo_C28

Just what TFC needs.
    With only one goal in his last 13 games, how is he an improvement over Jansen?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    With only one goal in his last 13 games, how is he an improvement over Jansen?
    He's hardly played at all plus is being used as a winger. He does however have 1 goal in 118 league minutes.

As usual, impossible to predict how a newcomer to MLS will do. Some great ones go to hell and some average ones become stars. Have to wait and see how he turns out.