Page 95 of 118 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,850 of 3511
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    So even the Whitecaps wouldn't take him. It's nice for him that he got a second chance at Montreal, many who get cut never get a second chance. It's the reality of professional sports.
    I’m glad as well, considering every interaction I ever had with him showed him to be a hard-working, likeable, personable, and humble guy.

He just wasn’t good here and didn’t fit in; we probably only kept him because he was a cheap American who put in work, which is a pretty big upside in MLS.

Then again, there’s a bit of a warning in the Lovitz situation for players like Chapman, etc. who are cheap and Canadian but demonstrate little progress and are advancing in age. CPL is great in that respect, because their other options would have been retiring and pursuing something else or ending up in the second tier of the Estonian league a few years short of 30.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I did. I thought he was good for us, a good utility wide player. For what he cost it seemed stupid to drop him.

At least with Raheem, Kaye and Hamilton they all reportedly had attitude issues in training, so there was some justification for writing off the obvious athletic ability. But Lovitz worked hard and deserved to stick; I thought the same about Tosaint. Yeah, he was limited, but he was dangerous late and had thirteen goals off the bench for us over a couple of seasons, not bad for a guy who'd never regularly had a chance to play as a striker before us.

I felt the same about Telfer going down. Perhaps it's something major I'm not seeing like read of the play off the ball leading to defensive mixups; but he looked super solid and we were short of wide players.

I dunno. I think there are a lot of decisions at this club that seemed to be based on politics or character and not skill. With young players, that seems shortsighted. It's not like they replaced any of them with someone better.
    TFC letting Raheem go killed his momentum.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Ricketts had ball touch issues, as does Hamiliton, Morgan and Raheem. They have horrible first touches on the ball. It's like the Canadian National program doesn't know how to develop that skill. Sure these guys run fast, but their touch is dreadful, making them pretty useless in most situations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Ricketts had ball touch issues, as does Hamiliton, Morgan and Raheem. They have horrible first touches on the ball. It's like the Canadian National program doesn't know how to develop that skill. Sure these guys run fast, but their touch is dreadful, making them pretty useless in most situations.
    FWIW, Ricketts was actually used fairly intelligently here most of the time. He’s a “post-touch” (perhaps “pre-touch” or “no-touch” are more applicable) player: he ran fast and was somehow in the right position to bungle in a goal, or somehow cause a goal or an own goal through confusion and chaos).

Hamilton is actually pretty slow.

Canada and the US have issues developing technical players for numerous reasons, so there’s not much of a point in complaining about it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    FWIW, Ricketts was actually used fairly intelligently here most of the time. He’s a “post-touch” (perhaps “pre-touch” or “no-touch” are more applicable) player: he ran fast and was somehow in the right position to bungle in a goal, or somehow cause a goal or an own goal through confusion and chaos).

Hamilton is actually pretty slow.

Canada and the US have issues developing technical players for numerous reasons, so there’s not much of a point in complaining about it.

I would have kept Ricketts for that reason. However with the Salary cap and roster restrictions of MLS - he was a player we couldn't afford to keep. We need guys coming off the bench who can do more than 1 specific thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I would have kept Ricketts for that reason. However with the Salary cap and roster restrictions of MLS - he was a player we couldn't afford to keep. We need guys coming off the bench who can do more than 1 specific thing.
    Right.

That’s also why it was good to get away from Ricketts as well — we just failed to bring in someone who could actually fill in. Ricketts (especially after his post-injury slowdown) would have been useless starting in a lone striker formation anyway.

Then again, you never know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    He was heavily misused in Montreal. Chicago has gone slightly better but he’s fighting the injury bug.

His pay packet is outsized but I suspect we could pick him up, have Chicago eat half in the name of freeing an international spot. IMO fits well as a fullback or as the winger in a 3-5-2. Wide forward not so much.

Still “only” 24. I think he’d be a good reclamation project with minimal risk.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Right.

That’s also why it was good to get away from Ricketts as well — we just failed to bring in someone who could actually fill in. Ricketts (especially after his post-injury slowdown) would have been useless starting in a lone striker formation anyway.

Then again, you never know.
    Boyd was to replace Ricketts - but that has clearly failed. I expect to see him gone as soon as they can do it. Perhaps Patrick Mullins is the temporary Boyd replacement for this year then they both come off the books next year?

I see Ayo Akinola as the main young striker TFC will be putting time and energy into developing as the Hamilton trails have run their course.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Timely goal for Morgan, considering the chatter about him in this thread... wondering if the tone changes after his contributions tonight?
    Last edited by WestStandGeoff; 07-17-2019 at 11:03 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    Timely goal for Morgan, considering the chatter about him in this thread... wondering if the tone changes after his contributions tonight?
    Morgan slotted in when needed and even got a timely goal. He's a positive force in the locker room, good value for money. Like I said, I don't think he's going anywhere, they will keep him for what he is. I don't know why there's a thought that you can't have a couple of players like him. Not everyone is a DP or a TAM player in a salary cap league.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 07-17-2019 at 11:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, this was funny and really welcome.
    We have not talked for a while about him, and this chatter came up just a few days go.

Like he was reading this thread, and wanted to give a "live" reply.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I forget what video it was (Wheeler maybe?) but they were saying how excited the team gets when Morgan scores. The team is obviously behind him, he's a great locker room guy, and contributes when asked - not sure what more we could possibly expect from that salary. I'd be really disappointed if we let him go, even without the goal last night.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ashtone Morgan's first goal was July 19, 2017 against NYCFC. Almost exactly 2 years ago. Yesterday was against NYRB. Can't wait for mid July 2021 for his third goal against the NY Cosmos, I guess.

EDIT: I realize this kind of sounds a bit like I'm mocking him. That's not my intent. Trying to be funny with the similarity to his other goal's timing.
    Last edited by rydermike; 07-18-2019 at 09:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In his Preseason overview last year Matt Doyle on MLS.com said Morgan was the one weak spot in our lineup. Then he scored that CCL goal. F8%k Doyle anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the word on Gallardo? Was hoping to see him get a run out last night, but he wasn't even on the bench. Delay in the ITC? Was he injured in training?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post
    What's the word on Gallardo? Was hoping to see him get a run out last night, but he wasn't even on the bench. Delay in the ITC? Was he injured in training?
    He hasn't played or trained in a month. They are just getting him up to speed.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben - D.O.W. View Post
    I forget what video it was (Wheeler maybe?) but they were saying how excited the team gets when Morgan scores. The team is obviously behind him, he's a great locker room guy, and contributes when asked - not sure what more we could possibly expect from that salary. I'd be really disappointed if we let him go, even without the goal last night.
    Morgan has no ambitions to leave, he’s accepted that he’s only going to be a depth piece and CANCON for Voyageur’s Cup appearances.

Morrow is already slowing down to the point he’s no longer the fullback bombing up the pitch and providing attacking width. It might also be the reason why we allowed Beitashour to leave to find a more dynamic threat on the right side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was definitely one of those. Sure, the goal was important and I'm happy for him, but scoring a rare goal as a wide midfielder isn't going to change my mind about TFC needing a backup LB who can be a backup LB. I do like the role he played last night, getting some time on the wing while TFC protected a lead.

Didn't realize until tonight that Orlando picked up Robinho from the Crew for $50K in GAM. Hasn't lit up MLS in his first season, but I think he could have done a job as LM depth. Only so much TFC can rely on Shaffelburg this year.
    Last edited by Bobo; 07-18-2019 at 11:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    I was definitely one of those. Sure, the goal was important and I'm happy for him, but scoring a rare goal as a wide midfielder isn't going to change my mind about TFC needing a backup LB who can be a backup LB. I do like the role he played last night, getting some time on the wing while TFC protected a lead.

Didn't realize until tonight that Orlando picked up Robinho from the Crew for $50K in GAM. Hasn't lit up MLS in his first season, but I think he could have done a job as LM depth. Only so much TFC can rely on Shaffelburg this year.
    With Shaffleburg and Gallardo now capable of playing LB, there's not so much onus on Morrow to get up the pitch like there was before, which will leave him with more energy and improve his defending, meaning there's less dire need for a back-up LB, meaning Morgan should be fine there (though to be honest I always thought Morgan was more effective as a winger than LB).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was an article in the Athletic by Kloke about Bradley & his future and how it affects the team.

Manning indicating it is going to be an emotional honest tough discussion from both sides.

One point - other MLS teams may not pay him $6.5 million but there are teams willing to make him a DP & pay him more then what we would with TAM. Off the top of my head? NER, DCU, Orlando, Nashville, Cinci, Columbus, Minnesota, Chicago, SKC, Colorado. Rest either have 3, have a decent DM or play a game not suited to how Bradley plays right now.

Didn't discuss the LigaMx option although I wonder if Bradley would do that given Vasquez' experiences.

I VERY much doubt they trade Bradley mid season - that would be just too disruptive & this team seems to be pushing mentally towards a playoff run. There would have to be a over the moon DP signing coming in now to do that. So Bradley either signs with us or goes to another team & we get no compensation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    There was an article in the Athletic by Kloke about Bradley & his future and how it affects the team.

Manning indicating it is going to be an emotional honest tough discussion from both sides.

One point - other MLS teams may not pay him $6.5 million but there are teams willing to make him a DP & pay him more then what we would with TAM. Off the top of my head? NER, DCU, Orlando, Nashville, Cinci, Columbus, Minnesota, Chicago, SKC, Colorado. Rest either have 3, have a decent DM or play a game not suited to how Bradley plays right now.

Didn't discuss the LigaMx option although I wonder if Bradley would do that given Vasquez' experiences.

I VERY much doubt they trade Bradley mid season - that would be just too disruptive & this team seems to be pushing mentally towards a playoff run. There would have to be a over the moon DP signing coming in now to do that. So Bradley either signs with us or goes to another team & we get no compensation.
    Freeing up the DP slot is almost like the compensation.

Question: when's the new CBA?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    With Shaffleburg and Gallardo now capable of playing LB, there's not so much onus on Morrow to get up the pitch like there was before, which will leave him with more energy and improve his defending, meaning there's less dire need for a back-up LB, meaning Morgan should be fine there (though to be honest I always thought Morgan was more effective as a winger than LB).
    wut?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley will be taking a pay cut either way, it just remains to be seen if he's willing to go as low as $1.5 million to fit into TAM range and stay in Toronto, because I do think some other MLS teams would probably be willing to pay in the $2.5-$3 million range. I have a hard time believing we will offer him DP compensation. Manning won't say this out loud but I think he's probably quite pleased that Giovinco ended up turning us down because it gave us the opportunity to sign Pozuelo, which was the better long-term move (probably better short term as well to be honest). I imagine freeing up another DP slot is pretty enticing for him and Curtis.

Bradley would be one year short of 8 in MLS to qualify for free agency if he does leave, I believe he'd have to go through the re-entry draft... not that there would necessarily be a big difference in terms of his options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Bradley moves in MLS we get compensated. MLS always honors their own "option years" since those are tacked on at the end of the contract as a mandatory thing, I'm sure Bradley has one on his contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think Bradley is even worth 1.5 mill. That’s a lot of TAM money that could be used on other positions when we have Fraser ready to start. I wonder if Delgado could provide depth for Fraser as a 6 with Oso and Pozuelo in the mid field. A DP winger would be amazing in my head I would try to bring William in, I think he is a free agent next year and around the right age to come to MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does everyone think Fraser is ready to start in MLS? He has a ways to go still. Would be a big drop-off from Bradley.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    I dont think Bradley is even worth 1.5 mill. That’s a lot of TAM money that could be used on other positions when we have Fraser ready to start. I wonder if Delgado could provide depth for Fraser as a 6 with Oso and Pozuelo in the mid field. A DP winger would be amazing in my head I would try to bring William in, I think he is a free agent next year and around the right age to come to MLS.
    The idea that Fraser is ready to take over from Bradley is insanity.
    There is nothing to indicate he can do the job on a regular basis - he played a couple of ok games, but they were not good enough to dethrone Bradley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Why does everyone think Fraser is ready to start in MLS? He has a ways to go still. Would be a big drop-off from Bradley.
    Did you watch him play? Some games he was one of the best guys on the field. His passing is off the charts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

A lot of teams would be willing to take Bradley as a DP for the experience/leadership aspect and to help them gel, especially the expansion teams that haven’t lit up the league (or the ones about to enter).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Did you watch him play? Some games he was one of the best guys on the field. His passing is off the charts.
    Yes. He was fine but dreamland to think he’s ready to take over from the best player in US history.