Page 50 of 118 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 3511
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    By the looks of things, Rayados B team would beat most of MLS.
    If there’s one thing other leagues have it’s decent depth and B teams that don’t get relegated from a minor league.

TFC2 was always a bit of a question mark.

Getting fringe or backup players minutes is one thing, but leaving young players hopelessly outgunned every game against second division lifers when they only come to the first team to get obliterated when we’re at our worst seems a bit counterintuitive. I really felt for Dunn last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    There's a huge language overlay in player acquisition.

Why did Nemeth go to SKC and excel, then go to NE and be a stiff, then go back to SKC and excel again? Could it have something to do with the fact that Vermes speaks perfect Hungarian?

You can talk about South America all you want, but teams like Dallas and SKC have massive investment in spanish speaking staff, lots of players who speak spanish, etc. I think we need a more veteran spanish speaking player, if we go down that route.

Other than Manning's relationships in Argentina, I am not sure we have an edge in Central or South America.

It's not required (Auro didn't speak much english when he came) but Auro is a notable exception.

It's also why I think we could get someone from France or Belgium in as one of our signings this spring/summer, we have a amount French DNA now. Especially at the back.

Up front Jozy, Oso and Pozo all speak spainsh, so a spanish speaking winger does make sense.
    Bradley also speaks fluent Italian, which is intelligible for a Spanish speaker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    Bradley also speaks fluent Italian, which is intelligible for a Spanish speaker.
    Auro's Portuguese wouldn't be far off Spanish either

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NEWS: Toronto FC are finalizing a deal for Russian Winger Denis Cheryshev from Valencia C.F.

#TFCLive*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    If you already know the words or are only speaking basic lingua franca type stuff, maybe.

I’m a French speaker. My English is okay. I speak Italian and Spanish fluently. My Japanese is all right and I can read Portuguese but can’t speak it. My Mandarin is pretty bad but I ordered the appropriate bubble tea in China so I feel empowered.

In South America I have some issues because the Spanish really isn’t the same as continental Spanish. While everyone in Italy speaks some form of Italian, they can be more or less difficult to understand. Northern Italy and places like Florence are really clear, but in the South, in Sicily, or in Rome the Italian is not really as intelligible.

Add to that that football terminology is fairly colloquial and regional...

I can go to Portugal and sort of understand but can’t figure out Brazilian Portuguese when it’s the same language. Big gap between Bradley’s Italian and speaking to or understanding a South American Spanish speaker...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    NEWS: Toronto FC are finalizing a deal for Russian Winger Denis Cheryshev from Valencia C.F.

#TFCLive*
    That would be pretty big. We don’t have any Russian speakers but whoever doped them up for the WC could probably make sure our squad stays fit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#TFCLive*
    Just realized that’s a fake Kristian Jack account. Probably a false rumour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He’s only on loan to Valencia, so they wouldn’t have the ability to do it anyway. Oh well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess Chris Mavinga may speak some Russian...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He also has a transfer value of €7 million.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lil'John View Post
    I guess Chris Mavinga may speak some Russian...
    Other than da and nyet probably not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For you CCL hopefuls, remember one great thing that Giovinco did. Those CCL refs didn't know the player and he was really good at drawing calls on fouls...one of the best. MLS caught on to him a little bit, but during that run, this type of play was huge for us. Oh the little things done on the field...not sure if we have that type of player that was good at drawing fouls currently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    He’s only on loan to Valencia, so they wouldn’t have the ability to do it anyway. Oh well.
    Well the guy is available on pre-contract right now. But yeah probably fake.

Never mind I mistook the loan expiration for contract expiration.
    Last edited by portu; 05-06-2019 at 03:35 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheryshev would speak better Spanish than he does Russian anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    Regurgitating the original rumor without noting the denials. Ignore it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Regurgitating the original rumor without noting the denials. Ignore it.
    I think we need a winger or two more than a CB

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    I think we need a winger or two more than a CB
    I think we need both but not necessarily OG. We do need more CB depth with Moor's health being so questionable because I would like a better option than Zavaleta. Doesn't need to be TAM either. Could just be a solid MLSer.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think we need both but not necessarily OG. We do need more CB depth with Moor's health being so questionable because I would like a better option than Zavaleta. Doesn't need to be TAM either. Could just be a solid MLSer.
    Definitely agreed - TFC are 3rd in the league with 21 goals and the two teams ahead of us have 3 games in hand. Offence, even WITHOUT Altidore, is not an issue right now and can be shored up in the summer. Defensively, we are smack dab in the middle of the league with 13 goals conceded.

One thing does worry me - is that we take the fewest shots in the league. Maybe it's the quality over quantity method but MLS has us at 95 shots, even adjusted for per-match, we might not be last but we're close to it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    One thing does worry me - is that we take the fewest shots in the league. Maybe it's the quality over quantity method but MLS has us at 95 shots, even adjusted for per-match, we might not be last but we're close to it.
    But this is part of how we play now. We're a useless possession team. We methodically do the same thing over and over at almost as slow as possible pace but every now and then something happens and we get a break to goal and that's our thing. I know Vanney says all the right things in interviews but this has mostly been the way since he worked his system in. So either it's his safety net approach or he drilled that system so deeply into our core that they can't shake it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    Shots on goal tell a different story. We are tied for 4th in the league in total, and 2nd in /game (LAFC have 70 in 11, for a 6.4 SOG/G, we have 48 in 8, for 6.0) No one else is even close to 6.

LAFC have taken an outrageous 204 shots attempted to get to 70 SOG, that's just a little better than 1/3 on target. We're at 1/2 on target.

It is *totally* quality over quantity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But this is part of how we play now. We're a useless possession team. We methodically do the same thing over and over at almost as slow as possible pace but every now and then something happens and we get a break to goal and that's our thing. I know Vanney says all the right things in interviews but this has mostly been the way since he worked his system in. So either it's his safety net approach or he drilled that system so deeply into our core that they can't shake it.
    hang on I think I'm an idiot

no wait I was right

A useless possession team that gets a break once in a while and so we *checks notes* lead the league in goals per game.

This take is bad and you should feel bad.
    Last edited by paul-collins; 05-06-2019 at 12:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... and more to the point - our biggest problem is our atrocious 13 GA in 8 games. Good defensive teams in MLS are trending around 1.1 GA/G, we are at 1.6.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    hang on I think I'm an idiot

no wait I was right

A useless possession team that gets a break once in a while and so we *checks notes* lead the league in goals per game.

This take is bad and you should feel bad.
    Didn't say the useless possession was always bad. We won the treble doing it but it can be negated by low block defending teams and is precisely why we perform so shit when up a man. Seattle in both finals was the example. We dominated both matches but we got/made/earned our breaks in 2017 and we scored from them. In 2016 we really didn't and we played into their game plan.

But obviously this season our shots number would be lower because Giovinco was always at or near the top of MLS in shot attempts and it unlikely anyone would put up that many shots on our squad. The problem is that we have a decent expected goals ratio now based on shots. Will that continue? If we suddenly tighten the defense and become a legit 'threat' rather than the 2018 mess teams kind of expect, will teams go low block again? They will in tight playoff matches so we better get some other options or else we'll get bogged down in the midfield doing sideways passing for 65% of the match.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 05-06-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shot in the dark...Manning may have scouted Serie B......a number of excellent candidates for virtually any position, and many would jump at the chance to play in MLS...for the right coin....Alfredo Donnarumma...would be an MLS superstar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Shot in the dark...Manning may have scouted Serie B......a number of excellent candidates for virtually any position, and many would jump at the chance to play in MLS...for the right coin....Alfredo Donnarumma...would be an MLS superstar
    I think this guy has a world of pro football ahead of him. Maybe in 10 years MLS will be his deal but definitely not now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seba not in the starting 11 today, nor bench for Al Hilal. Just say'n.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still crickets on the transfer front and the deadline is tomorrow....

Let's hope I just jinxed it

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't say the useless possession was always bad. We won the treble doing it but it can be negated by low block defending teams and is precisely why we perform so shit when up a man. Seattle in both finals was the example. We dominated both matches but we got/made/earned our breaks in 2017 and we scored from them. In 2016 we really didn't and we played into their game plan.

But obviously this season our shots number would be lower because Giovinco was always at or near the top of MLS in shot attempts and it unlikely anyone would put up that many shots on our squad. The problem is that we have a decent expected goals ratio now based on shots. Will that continue? If we suddenly tighten the defense and become a legit 'threat' rather than the 2018 mess teams kind of expect, will teams go low block again? They will in tight playoff matches so we better get some other options or else we'll get bogged down in the midfield doing sideways passing for 65% of the match.
    ummm. Vazquez was our solution in 2017, and Pozuelo is our solution now. I don't really see the problem. Get our GA down and we're a solid contender.

Add one more decent attacking piece and I think TFC will be lethal on the attack.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    ummm. Vazquez was our solution in 2017, and Pozuelo is our solution now. I don't really see the problem. Get our GA down and we're a solid contender.

Add one more decent attacking piece and I think TFC will be lethal on the attack.
    I agree that good creative mids can unlock that and we've seen it but we can also fall into that trap still like we did against Portland and to an extent Chicago as well. Go back and read the threads post-match and it's exactly what I am saying here; slow, predictable play with no real intent and we did it with Pozuelo here so we haven't fully grown out of that yet. Right now, as is, I see us as a solid contender but I would like to fix our tactical issues so we can get back to being an elite MLS team.