Page 51 of 118 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 3511
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JT Red127 View Post
    Seba not in the starting 11 today, nor bench for Al Hilal. Just say'n.
    maybe they gave him the day off today because he had to go to the bank

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    maybe they gave him the day off today because he had to go to the bank
    Or see the allergist about his sand allergy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tam gam sam.where are you we are waiting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think this guy has a world of pro football ahead of him. Maybe in 10 years MLS will be his deal but definitely not now.
    He is already 28, playing in the second division, and would have been scooped up by a Serie A team, by now, if there were any openings....He is a POZ type player, with more speed and goal scoring (at least in serie b)...and, like Seba, would grab a chance for a big payday.....why on earth would front office be in Italy scouting, if not for a player like him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JT Red127 View Post
    Seba not in the starting 11 today, nor bench for Al Hilal. Just say'n.
    Suspended for yellow card accumulation apparently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    well thats less fun.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Never change Seba...never change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    ummm. Vazquez was our solution in 2017, and Pozuelo is our solution now. I don't really see the problem. Get our GA down and we're a solid contender.

Add one more decent attacking piece and I think TFC will be lethal on the attack.
    Yeah this is where I'm at - in fact I would say we already *are* lethal on the attack (2nd in GF/G in the league). The GA/G has got to improve. Our 2017 success was built on defence as much as offence.

I find this argument that our possession is useless or lacking intent frankly baffling. The intent is to score, and we do score, frequently. I guess it's not pretty enough for some folks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder how many of those yellows were for dangerous tackles?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what a Saudi Al-Hilal supporter said to me re: Giovinco: It’s true that he’s unhappy, because al-Hilal changed his favorite coach (George Jesus). The coach that brought him to Al-Hilal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    He is already 28, playing in the second division, and would have been scooped up by a Serie A team, by now, if there were any openings....He is a POZ type player, with more speed and goal scoring (at least in serie b)...and, like Seba, would grab a chance for a big payday.....why on earth would front office be in Italy scouting, if not for a player like him?
    Well 10 years was an exaggeration but at one time he was a sure fire star. I just can't see him being TAM yet even though he is in Serie B.

He may be a Poz type player but Poz is a DP and he wouldn't be. I just can't see him here for $1.5M.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    This is what a Saudi Al-Hilal supporter said to me re: Giovinco: It’s true that he’s unhappy, because al-Hilal changed his favorite coach (George Jesus). The coach that brought him to Al-Hilal.
    This is not even accurate, Zoran Mamic was coach when Gio signed and has since been fired after a 5-1 drubbing in the CL. I don't see how Gio would have had any connection to the coaching staff over there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Well 10 years was an exaggeration but at one time he was a sure fire star. I just can't see him being TAM yet even though he is in Serie B.

He may be a Poz type player but Poz is a DP and he wouldn't be. I just can't see him here for $1.5M.
    Ok, he is one example of so many Serie B players who would sign here...seems to me that trip to Italy was a waste of time

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    This is not even accurate, Zoran Mamic was coach when Gio signed and has since been fired after a 5-1 drubbing in the CL. I don't see how Gio would have had any connection to the coaching staff over there.
    He probably just hates the lifestyle and the style/level of play. The empty stadiums probably aren't awesome either. All things he should have anticipated before signing there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Ok, he is one example of so many Serie B players who would sign here...seems to me that trip to Italy was a waste of time
    Possibly but you never know for the summer window. Getting someone by tomorrow is unlikely from Europe. Plus you don't know until you go. They scouted for sure and maybe met with a few agents to exchange numbers. If everyone wants over $1.5M then it turns out to be a waste of time but you never know until you go and see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I predict Gonzalez is signed tomorrow and that’s it, the winger will come in the summer, Tigre wont let Janson go they are in the quarter finals of a cup now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this brain trust talks like they always have 3 or more options on the go & probably believes that.

But, they act like they have just 1 choice - ever. And when that focus isn't possible, the next just 1 choice comes up. Well, if you spend all your time chasing one thing, you won't get anything sometimes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Omar Gonzalez is no longer on according to Buffery at The Sun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    Yeah this is where I'm at - in fact I would say we already *are* lethal on the attack (2nd in GF/G in the league). The GA/G has got to improve. Our 2017 success was built on defence as much as offence.

I find this argument that our possession is useless or lacking intent frankly baffling. The intent is to score, and we do score, frequently. I guess it's not pretty enough for some folks.
    Going forward the team is good statistically. I like statistics too. However, you don’t need to be a rocket scientist to look at the stats and realize that they’re probably unsustainable over the course of a season (as much as I like watching us score 3-4 games).

Some of these games are outliers and we haven’t looked spectacular against better opposition. Bradley doesn’t score a brace very often, and Hamilton starting is different than Hamilton being subbed on and scoring a brace in two minutes against a terrible defense. Some of our goals weren’t the result of Vanney’s system but of strong individual performances. Pozo pinging perfect balls to people isn’t the result of Vanney’s system either.

He wasn’t saying possession is useless, but rather that there’s an awful lot of purposeless possession or errors resulting in this style of play because a lot of the squad aren’t the incredibly proficient world class players we see playing this style of football to success in top leagues in Europe. It also puts a lot of pressure on the defense and midfield, which results in the defense working a lot harder than they would in other systems, plus we need guys who can play the ball back there, which aren’t cheap or in great supply in a league with a cap where spending on defense means you have to neglect offensive pieces. You also need a decent keeper.

Unfortunately we’re limited to this playstyle because we don’t have the pieces to play anything else. I also don’t think our defense is necessarily weak (except Auro being weak defensively) for MLS, but Vanney’s system just makes it easy to exploit or capitalize on mistakes, especially with how awful Bono has been.

It’s not all doom & gloom, but the GF statistics are incredibly flattering considering the product on the pitch. I’d prefer a team that is winning 1-0 or 2-0 but making few mistakes to one scoring 4 goals because they will lose if they don’t. I’ll take 4-0 every game too, but that doesn’t really seem like something that will happen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is pretty simple. Our strength of schedule has been low, we have only played one good team, Seattle (sorry Philly's record is pumped up by two wins in three weeks against Cincinnati)

We need to improve to be the equal of the elite teams.

The rest of May and early June will show us whether we are actually better than I think, as we play 4-5 elite teams now.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not entirely sold on this team going forward simply because when you look at the goals we score they are the result of individual brilliance rather than performance in a system. Remove Jozy and Pozuelo and we'll be terrible offensively. We'd greatly benefit from a TAM level forward, and this isn't new. I'm not sure why the FO thinks Ricketts/Boyd is the correct way to go about a bench striker, especially when Jozy doesn't play over 50% of the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I don't get why it says atlas won't sell I thought his contract was up ? According to transfer market it is. Maybe they have to wait for the summer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I think this brain trust talks like they always have 3 or more options on the go & probably believes that.

But, they act like they have just 1 choice - ever. And when that focus isn't possible, the next just 1 choice comes up. Well, if you spend all your time chasing one thing, you won't get anything sometimes.
    I think it’s more like they have a whiteboard in the office with a list of former Belgian POTYs and USMNT members in Europe. I doubt they even talked to Hanni if Pozo didn’t work out.

They went in fairly hard on Pozo, Menendez, and now even Janson as if they basically had to get them. This puts us in a bad position for negotiation, and teams already milk TFC because we overpaid a lot of players.

The fact that we can’t even sign any of the people they were after and promising makes them look pretty bad. I wonder if there’s some sort of other issue at play that is causing us to not even get TAM level players sorted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not entirely sold on this team going forward simply because when you look at the goals we score they are the result of individual brilliance rather than performance in a system. Remove Jozy and Pozuelo and we'll be terrible offensively. We'd greatly benefit from a TAM level forward, and this isn't new. I'm not sure why the FO thinks Ricketts/Boyd is the correct way to go about a bench striker, especially when Jozy doesn't play over 50% of the time.
    Hamilton is good off the bench. If you remove two DPs from any team in MLS they will be terrible too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Hamilton is good off the bench. If you remove two DPs from any team in MLS they will be terrible too.
    I disagree. I think there are MLS teams where if you remove two DPs they will be okay. Red Bulls might as well have one DP. BWP is basically a Max TAM player. Columbus' two DPs are on TAM salaries.
    Last edited by portu; 05-06-2019 at 05:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm wondering ... are we (meaning, the club), going about all this the wrong way? We're desperately trying to sign some foreign winger, but we actually seem to have many young options already in the system that maybe should be given a shot. What about any of these guys:

-Endoh
    -Shaffelburg
    -Dorsey
    -Nelson

Why not give those guys a try in May and June, and if they don't work out get someone in July?

It seems like a CB is the priority signing because we don't seem to have anyone in the system who's ready.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We might just be negotiating with ourselves. Teams know we need players, so wait until the last minute and jack up the price.
    Last edited by Bushmancan; 05-06-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I'm wondering ... are we (meaning, the club), going about all this the wrong way? We're desperately trying to sign some foreign winger, but we actually seem to have many young options already in the system that maybe should be given a shot. What about any of these guys:

-Endoh
    -Shaffelburg
    -Dorsey
    -Nelson

Why not give those guys a try in May and June, and if they don't work out get someone in July?

It seems like a CB is the priority signing because we don't seem to have anyone in the system who's ready.
    They gave Dorsey and shaffleburg a shot vs the team from Panama they didn't look ready to me, let them develop in USL for a year. I thought they should have kept Telfer but I'm happy he's playing.

I wish they could have got Liam Miller on loan from Liverpool. He would be perfect on the wing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope Buffery is right. I am no fan of Gonzalez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    He wasn’t saying possession is useless, but rather that there’s an awful lot of purposeless possession or errors resulting in this style of play because a lot of the squad aren’t the incredibly proficient world class players we see playing this style of football to success in top leagues in Europe.
    Look, I'm not arguing that in the current run of play the goals are necessarily sustainable. Yeah stats can be made to say lots of things. But U+P used the phrase "useless possession" twice, so don't tell me he didn't mean it.

And, again, purposeless possession (your phrase). What are you trying to say the purpose is, if not to score goals?

I get that we're not clicking like midseason 2017 right now. It's still early days, we've only played 8 games. We need better team defence, and whether that comes from better CB or (as Oliver Platt, I think, suggested) from better tracking back by wingers, I think we'll get there.

But can we lay off the hyperbole about our offence being trash, please? It's ridiculous given the relative success we've had (and frankly the one bright spot we have had this season).