Page 21 of 118 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget our South American felons, Miguel "The Drunken Master" Aceval and Martin "Sticky Fingers" Saric

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, which just backs up my general point. For years in here, we'd get the odd "but why are they not looking in South America".

Lets see what/if somebody comes in the next week or so.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yeah, which just backs up my general point. For years in here, we'd get the odd "but why are they not looking in South America".

Who cares where they are from as long as they perform and fit into the team in a positive manner.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there may be an actual reason we don't see the club look to SA as often as Europe. Likely to do with perceptions re: professionalism, tactical education - stuff we'd usually refer to as pedigree.

For example, I think they seriously put weight into the fact Mavinga went through PSG/Liverpool, VDW at Ajax, Vazquez at Barca, Aketxe at Bilbao, Perquis at Clairefontaine, Kantari at PSG, Tsubasa was in a Japan FA youth program, Alseth at Rosenberg, Benoit was in the French youth set-up, Seba at Juve, Simonin at Lorient, Pozuelo at Betis, etcetera.

Tsubasa and Simonin were both completely out of left field picks in their drafts and the one thing they have in common is pedigree.

That's not to say that I don't think that there are other factors the club considers, just to say that I think the club really does weigh the 'educational background' of a footballer in their decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I think there may be an actual reason we don't see the club look to SA as often as Europe. Likely to do with perceptions re: professionalism, tactical education - stuff we'd usually refer to as pedigree.

For example, I think they seriously put weight into the fact Mavinga went through PSG/Liverpool, VDW at Ajax, Vazquez at Barca, Aketxe at Bilbao, Perquis at Clairefontaine, Kantari at PSG, Tsubasa was in a Japan FA youth program, Alseth at Rosenberg, Benoit was in the French youth set-up, Seba at Juve, Simonin at Lorient, Pozuelo at Betis, etcetera.

Tsubasa and Simonin were both completely out of left field picks in their drafts and the one thing they have in common is pedigree.

That's not to say that I don't think that there are other factors the club considers, just to say that I think the club really does weigh the 'educational background' of a footballer in their decision.
    I’m of the same opinion. Plus there’s the Vanney-French connection and they seem to have a thing for Belgian Players of the Year.

I think the misstep with Aketxe is a similar one that affects South American players fairly frequently. They get homesick, which in turn affects their play. Aketxe never really played outside of Spain, and on top of that he’s Basque. VV or Pozuelo played in other leagues and had experience being away from home so the culture and weather won’t shock them as much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=stegosaurus;1894119]I’m of the same opinion. Plus there’s the Vanney-French connection and they seem to have a thing for Belgian Players of the Year.

I think the misstep with Aketxe is a similar one that affects South American players fairly frequently. They get homesick, which in turn affects their play. Aketxe never really played outside of Spain, and on top of that he’s Basque. VV or Pozuelo played in other leagues and had experience being away from home so the culture and weather won’t shock them as much.[/QUOTE

i just dont think aketxe was that good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    i just dont think aketxe was that good
    Fair enough, he had a pretty severe injury but a lot of us wanted to see him succeed here. Unfortunately, he ended up being homesick and a weak mentality ended his spell here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Fair enough, he had a pretty severe injury but a lot of us wanted to see him succeed here. Unfortunately, he ended up being homesick and a weak mentality ended his spell here.
    I don't think he's even doing well back home, he's just not good enough.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    I don't think he's even doing well back home, he's just not good enough.
    He's never even done well back home. People can cite homesickness and other stuff all they want but the difference between a guy like Aketxe and VV is one is a good footballer while the other isn't. VV and now Pozuelo have had several successful years in a strong Belgian league. While Aketxe has done absolutely nothing in his career outside of a couple of months on loan in the Spanish second division. He was 24 at the time and had shown absolutely nothing in his career and continues to show nothing struggling to even hold down a spot in the second division of Spain. Whoever was tasked with scouting him was clearly fooled by his shit long shots which he attempts so often that no wonder some of them are successful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomLawrence View Post
    He's never even done well back home. People can cite homesickness and other stuff all they want but the difference between a guy like Aketxe and VV is one is a good footballer while the other isn't. VV and now Pozuelo have had several successful years in a strong Belgian league. While Aketxe has done absolutely nothing in his career outside of a couple of months on loan in the Spanish second division. He was 24 at the time and had shown absolutely nothing in his career and continues to show nothing struggling to even hold down a spot in the second division of Spain. Whoever was tasked with scouting him was clearly fooled by his shit long shots which he attempts so often that no wonder some of them are successful.
    Are we talking about the same VV who played poorly at Cruz Azul because he didn’t like it there?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are we talking about the same VV who played poorly at Cruz Azul because he didn’t like it there?
    After 5 successful seasons in the Belgian League proving to be a very good player. My point exactly, VV proved to be a very good player and then had a dip due to personal reasons. Aketxe was a shit player before he came accomplishing absolutely nothing at any decent level, was shit when he came here and has now continued to be shit. You can't blame homesickness for being a poor player when the overlying fact is you're just a poor player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomLawrence View Post
    After 5 successful seasons in the Belgian League proving to be a very good player. My point exactly, VV proved to be a very good player and then had a dip due to personal reasons. Aketxe was a shit player before he came accomplishing absolutely nothing at any decent level, was shit when he came here and has now continued to be shit. You can't blame homesickness for being a poor player when the overlying fact is you're just a poor player.
    So he’s a poor player who played even more poorly because he didn’t like it here? That was my point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well... Chicago just waived Hasler.

I wouldn't be against bringing him back as cheap RB depth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Well... Chicago just waived Hasler

I wouldn't be against bringing him back as cheap RB depth.
    Give laryea a shot at backup RB. At least he doesn't take up an international roster spot.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The man was part of 2017 & belongs here. His distraught face in Mexico is us all.

We have 3 int slots. Current thinking is TFC will fill 2 of those slots with TAM signings in the next few weeks or the summer.

We have 1 slot left on the supplemental roster.

And we already have 4 right sided midfield/wb/attacking types in Auro, Laryea, Endoh & De Leon.

I could maybe see bringing in Hasler is if we somehow ship Endoh out on loan to a US team to get his Green card ala Bakero. Not sure this management team thinks in terms of doing things right by good players let go due to roster restrictions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The man was part of 2017 & belongs here. His distraught face in Mexico is us all.

We have 3 int slots. Current thinking is TFC will fill 2 of those slots with TAM signings in the next few weeks or the summer.

We have 1 slot left on the supplemental roster.

And we already have 4 right sided midfield/wb/attacking types in Auro, Laryea, Endoh & De Leon.

I could maybe see bringing in Hasler is if we somehow ship Endoh out on loan to a US team to get his Green card ala Bakero. Not sure this management team thinks in terms of doing things right by good players let go due to roster restrictions.
    I don't know either but he was a good servant of this club. A very good servant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on a list of 'players the club let go that confused the supporters and now there was chance to bring that player back'.....Hasler is very high up on that list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would definitely welcome back Hasler. Kind of like DeLeon, he can play anywhere back to front. Valuable depth piece, and with three open international slots, can finish well, could be worth the slot.

Last edited by rydermike; 03-28-2019 at 09:19 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd also love to have Hasler back. He had some great passion for the team etc.
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes to Hasler, our "Liechtenstein Army Knife." Plays multiple positions well. On $132k - $147k last year, great for a multi-position depth player. Looking at our current roster, especially useful as a defensive midfielder/destroyer, when we want to shield our defense against a team with fast attackers. (We could have used him there last year.)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unpopular opinion: we shouldn't get Hasler back.

Yes he was absolutely quality in the last few months of 2017 but that was because he came in fresh and energized to a team that needed exactly that.

Since then, he's been fairly sub par for us in the opening half of 2018 and deemed surplus to requirements at Chicago, who are, by all accounts, an awful side.

I love Nico for what he did for us in the second half of 2017 but we already have Deleon here who is a major upgrade as a right sided utility man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Yes to Hasler, our "Liechtenstein Army Knife." Plays multiple positions well. On $132k - $147k last year, great for a multi-position depth player. Looking at our current roster, especially useful as a defensive midfielder/destroyer, when we want to shield our defense against a team with fast attackers. (We could have used him there last year.)
    I'd take him back, especially if it doesn't cost us anything.

But would he want to come back? He might feel betrayed for being traded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by motorheadfc View Post
    on a list of 'players the club let go that confused the supporters and now there was chance to bring that player back'.....Hasler is very high up on that list.
    Yes, yes, yes, yes!!!!
    I want Hasler back, I was outraged when TFC got rid of him...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 get on Hasler - get him back here!
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    Since then, he's been fairly sub par for us in the opening half of 2018 and deemed surplus to requirements at Chicago, who are, by all accounts, an awful side.
    I haven't watched Chicago at all, bug looking at their roster, there's about 11 international players. Likely a contributing reason to his departure with Gaitan arriving. They needed to open a spot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Who cares where they are from as long as they perform and fit into the team in a positive manner.
    I agree have been saying this for years, yes I know all the pundits will say there is more talent to be harvested from the top three or four regions around the world, but I really don't care, again there are quality player everywhere it is just finding them, that is the tricky part, my very humble opinion. Look at a player like Hasler, I wish we still had him, a quality player, relatively cheap from Liechtenstein, a minnow of a country that
    the 'Pundits' scoffed at. just saying

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was reported as saying he also feared for his and his families safety in Mexico, could be hearsay, but I took VV at his word, I guess that is part of not liking it there!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    I agree have been saying this for years, yes I know all the pundits will say there is more talent to be harvested from the top three or four regions around the world, but I really don't care, again there are quality player everywhere it is just finding them, that is the tricky part, my very humble opinion. Look at a player like Hasler, I wish we still had him, a quality player, relatively cheap from Liechtenstein, a minnow of a country that
    the 'Pundits' scoffed at. just saying

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently LA Galaxy are closing in on signing Giancarlo Gonzalez from Bologna but would need to make big moves up the allocation list in order to make the deal. This has been reported for some time now and it could very well have positive implications for us.
    Here is a snippet from the article I read from MLS on Twitter

According to multiple sources, the Galaxy have tried to do just that in recent weeks. The sources said that LA have engaged in trade discussions with multiple clubs about moving up towards the top of the allocation ranking list. Toronto FC currently hold the No. 1 position in the allocation ranking order. Orlando City are second; the Colorado Rapids are third.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    Apparently LA Galaxy are closing in on signing Giancarlo Gonzalez from Bologna but would need to make big moves up the allocation list in order to make the deal. This has been reported for some time now and it could very well have positive implications for us.
    Here is a snippet from the article I read from MLS on Twitter

According to multiple sources, the Galaxy have tried to do just that in recent weeks. The sources said that LA have engaged in trade discussions with multiple clubs about moving up towards the top of the allocation ranking list. Toronto FC currently hold the No. 1 position in the allocation ranking order. Orlando City are second; the Colorado Rapids are third.
    So theoretically...if we wanted the player we could just take him once he signs his contract with MLS? I wonder if that's what we've threatened we'll do. Doubtfull, as it would likely hurt our ability to grab the 2 TAM players we want. But maybe Orlando or colorado has done that.

Oh MLS...