Page 55 of 118 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,650 of 3511
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Thanks. Agreed (although I think there was a Vazquez article like that not long before he left, so you never really know!)
    Yes VV (and others!) actually came to my mind before posting that! You never do know, but at least for now Mavinga sounds quite happy. He said more than he needs to in the article.

Actually I got some more info about Vazquez recently, but I haven't had a chance to post, and don't know fully what to make of it. Might also be relevant to today's kerfuffle; I'll think about it some more. Something was fishy there.

Still amazed how a few other posters want to defend the FO so much. Nobody wants them to rush and make bad deals. But signing at least one TAM player by May 7th should not have to be a rush. There are thousands of elite footy players around the world. There are going to be a couple that can help us, that are currently on a team that wants to save some money, or for whatever reason are available, at least after TFC has been searching and talking for a couple of months.

If they can't find those players at least until the next window, and we have to survive and make do in the meantime, then OK. But then FO has to STFU until they've got a player at BMO, with a TFC jersey on & putting pen on paper. One bit of evidence: loaning out Telfer tells me the club themselves were certain they would sign one or two players now. If not, they failed plain & simple.

Seba started talking to TFC about a new/extended deal after they won MLS Cup. In world footy, it's normal at least to ask. Seba had won club & individual accolades with TFC. He was getting the wrong side of 30, going for his final contract, wanting to settle & get paid well for it. If TFC didn't want to do that, it's OK, but at the latest by summer 2018 TFC needed to know if they were going to shit or get off the pot. Arrange the new deal, or plan for replacement, so it's all ready to go during the 2018/2019 offseason DURING THE INTERNATIONAL TRANSFER WINDOWS. Don't promise everyone "business as usual, only some minor changes" for 2018, while expecting a player who has been vocal about his contract to start the last year of his contract when you won't even guarantee him the option year on his old contract.

I can't accept anything since then to be a real surprise; it's a mixture of naiveté and bad planning. The whole "we're gonna sign a player in a couple of weeks" falls in the same category. Therefore telegraphing to footy players, their clubs and their agents around the world that you're going to be desperate otherwise.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 05-07-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I sure hope that you are not suggesting that Endoh is the solution. Frankly, I'm surprised he was renewed. I guess Vanney figures that he still has potential that could come out with some more practice with TFC2.
    I did say Endoh may not be a great option, but if Vanney wants to play with wingers, you'd think he'd at least offer a shot to a guy who did reasonably well with TFC II last season. I don't see a reason to keep him on the books otherwise.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Nobody wants them to rush and make bad deals. But signing at least one TAM player by May 7th should not have to be a rush.
    A big problem is that our window doesn't jive with most of the world. Historically most of the very good signings are in the summer. Of course some come in the beginning too (DPs usually) but when dealing with transfer fees and TAM players, it's tough because of the fee counting against the cap. MLS needs to stop that in the next CBA because it's ridiculous.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    I did say Endoh may not be a great option, but if Vanney wants to play with wingers, you'd think he'd at least offer a shot to a guy who did reasonably well with TFC II last season. I don't see a reason to keep him on the books otherwise.

Endoh is a long term TFC II stability project - they saw that just youths down there losing wasn't helping anybody get better. Team has been successful this seaon - first loss was a game Endoh wasn't at.

I also think they see him getting his green card/PR status soon so getting off the int status list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Actually I got some more info about Vazquez recently, but I haven't had a chance to post, and don't know fully what to make of it. Might also be relevant to today's kerfuffle; I'll think about it some more. Something was fishy there.
    I wouldn’t mind hearing re: Vazquez.

There’s no real independent journos who can get to the bottom of anything and the FO has been dishonest, so there’s no real reason to trust anything they say.

Good post.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    I wouldn’t mind hearing re: Vazquez.

There’s no real independent journos who can get to the bottom of anything and the FO has been dishonest, so there’s no real reason to trust anything they say.

Good post.
    I'm not sure we should trust random rumours over real journalists, and Molinaro is genuinely independent (got into trouble with the TFC FO in the past). Of course with Wheeler, although in the past experienced as a journalist, anything he writes / says should be read as a press release. Many other "journalists" just reprint the party line.

Larson used to be good, but now he's the CPL's "Wheeler."
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 05-07-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great start and all...i still think we have a pretty good team,but we lack depth and with 11 games until the next transfer window.and maybe 3 top starters missing for half of those games,im afraid the shield is now a dream.i hope im wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure we should trust random rumours over real journalists, and Molinaro is genuinely independent (got into trouble with the TFC FO in the past). Of course with Wheeler, although in the past experienced as a journalist, anything he writes / says should be read as a press release. Many other "journalists" just reprint the party line.

Doesn’t Molinaro work for Sportsnet? He posted something on Twitter a couple months ago stating he was taking a step back and wouldn’t be doing beat stuff anymore to focus on analysis...

Edit: I like random rumors. Makes the endless waits sufferable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's more CPL's Andrew Wiebe tbf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn’t Molinaro work for Sportsnet? He posted something on Twitter a couple months ago stating he was taking a step back and wouldn’t be doing beat stuff anymore to focus on analysis...
    yup he covers the team from his basement

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's shown that he has journalistic independence. Can't say that about everyone.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest the TFC has shrunk greatly. The Toronto Star has no one that I can see and has even been relying on wire copy for the most part. John's time covering TFC has been greatly reduced this year and while Buffrey is a seasoned vet he is new to the TFC beat. So you have Josh Kloke and a few others but the overall coverage has declined.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something to keep an eye on. A quality Congolese left winger, from Belgium, who came very close to going to the Revs. But who the hell wants to go to the Revs?

https://twitter.com/kylejmccarthy/st...364023297?s=21

This is a DP. My point is, if Bradley isn’t signed in the summer, he may he moved, and we may be looking at a DP winger. Not saying that will happen, just that it could...
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys gotta stop complaining about the journalists. It's over. Sports journalism is dead in this town, 100% captive, ex the Leafs, which are too big to do that.

Look around. We are the journalists. It's a team game, and you are on the team.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's shown that he has journalistic independence. Can't say that about everyone.
    He’s independent. He’s also generally a mild-mannered guy who’s inclination isn’t to push people or write edgy things that could be inflammatory. His work generally focuses on a different angle.

And that is not to say anything at all is bad about Molinaro. But if we are holding him up as an example of press really keeping the team accountable I vehemently disagree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is TFC good enough to get to the summer transfer window and not fall off, we will see, as of right now im confused about the process in which management is going, and dont know if i fully endorse it, we had two weaknesses at the beginning with winger and defender, and i dont believe we found the solution

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LAG...get a injury to a winger 2wks ago and they sign a winger from arg today..meanwhile we have been looking for months nothing

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    LAG...get a injury to a winger 2wks ago and they sign a winger from arg today..meanwhile we have been looking for months nothing
    That's a standard LA Gals B.S free loan deal. Don't count them. They follow a different MLS than we do.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    yup he covers the team from his basement
    Last Saturday he was in Halifax for that team's home opener.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    That's a standard LA Gals B.S free loan deal. Don't count them. They follow a different MLS than we do.
    I doubt it's free given they just did a load of trades to hoard TAM to sign this Argie fella

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    He’s independent. He’s also generally a mild-mannered guy who’s inclination isn’t to push people or write edgy things that could be inflammatory. His work generally focuses on a different angle.

And that is not to say anything at all is bad about Molinaro. But if we are holding him up as an example of press really keeping the team accountable I vehemently disagree.
    Agree with this.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    You guys gotta stop complaining about the journalists. It's over. Sports journalism is dead in this town, 100% captive, ex the Leafs, which are too big to do that.

Look around. We are the journalists. It's a team game, and you are on the team.
    I would argue that the Athletic guys are a good collective with connections that get stuff. But by and large, the breaking stuff is on twitter coming from insiders that journos use their sources to confirm or deny.

The blog guys are the most independent but most of them are fans too.

True sports journalism that is independent? Not sure it every really existed - going back to Dick Beddoes, he clashed but he was an insider, as were Proudfoot and that whole generation - nobody called out teams too much.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 05-07-2019 at 04:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Teams are using the Poz situation against us and know we have the money, every negotiation(especially with Latin American clubs) is going to be a test for FO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I would argue that the Athletic guys are a good collective with connections that get stuff. But by and large, the breaking stuff is on twitter coming from insiders that journos use their sources to confirm or deny.
    Their other sport coverage is pretty decent, but the Athletic’s MLS stuff is spotty depending on the team.

Their TFC coverage isn’t great.

Their business model is also pretty stupid, but I subscribe so I’m part of the problem I guess, haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Teams are using the Poz situation against us and know we have the money, every negotiation(especially with Latin American clubs) is going to be a test for FO.
    For sure, that’s a possibility. But also we are still looking at Janson and Menendez twelve months later.

The whole things signals we don’t have much depth in our pipeline and / or scouting. They should be shuttering these deals in favour of other targets unless the seller comes back begging with paperwork to sign.

Continuing to do this twelve months on with all the rumours, it’s a bad joke. If I were TFC and I heard anything about either player in the press I’d put a bullet in it faster than when they came out to deny we were getting Robben

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

The blog guys are the most independent but most of them are fans too.

True sports journalism that is independent? Not sure it every really existed - going back to Dick Beddoes, he clashed but he was an insider, as were Proudfoot and that whole generation - nobody called out teams too much.
    I subscribe to the Athletic but I don’t get much from the TFC coverage.

agree re primacy of Twitter. My point is about the connecting of dots - that 50 people here immediately see the problem with the “it’s fine until summer” narrative, when it wasn’t your narrative two months ago, but nobody working in media seems to, tells you something

Disagree about the old days. There were hacks sure, but there were serious independent opinion guys on the big dailies in every big city (Allen Abel and Trent Frayne stand out in my memory here). They connected dots.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Abel & Frayne - yup, actual journalists that happened to do sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

quote from vanney today via neil davidson

“There’s irons in the fire … There’s still optimism hopefully that something can happen,” he said. “But with every hour that passes, I become a little more skeptical.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ABC....Always Be Closing....C'mon Curtis get us some help where we need it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was just thinking a few hours ago that Justin Meram would be a solid addition via trade as depth on the left. Now he goes to Atlanta. $100k GAM and a second-rounder isn't too bad, even if he hasn't been great this season.
    Last edited by Bobo; 05-07-2019 at 05:08 PM.