Page 94 of 118 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,820 of 3511
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    Checked out Lovitz salary, 97k for a USMNT FB. TFC released him for nothing while paying 3 times that to bring back a washed up former USMNT player in Boyd.
    In fairness, he wasn't a LB for us. He played upfront. Perhaps wasn't on our coaching staff's radar to move a player out of position. Whomever did, well done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    In fairness, he wasn't a LB for us. He played upfront. Perhaps wasn't on our coaching staff's radar to move a player out of position. Whomever did, well done.
    They actually did try Lovitz at left back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they are going to use a 4-2-3-1 with wingers, as appears likely, then I suspect they are actively pursuing trades in the midfield as we are very deep there. You could play Oso, Deleon or Chapman as one of the three with either Shaff or Gallardo as a true winger; play both Shaff and Gallardo with Oso beside Bradley in The 2; play Delgado or Fraser in the 2; and You have Oso and Chapman as back ups for Poz and Fraser for Bradley. In a 3-5-2 there are more possibilities but I think you end up with Oso Delgado/Fraser and Bradley inside with Shaff, Deleon and Gallardo on the outside. Quite interesting to have this depth but possibly a luxury - suggests to me that the trades they lauded to will include a midfielder. And given that lineup, it’s likely Delgado or Deleon to be moved, or possibly Oso.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really? No recollection of that. Did he get the time to develop in that position though?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Checked out Lovitz salary, 97k for a USMNT FB. TFC released him for nothing while paying 3 times that to bring back a washed up former USMNT player in Boyd.
    When was he released again? It wasn't recently. Why don't we mourn Gilbertos loss too as he's currently got 17 goals in the Brazilian League. I get that Boyd has underperformed but cmon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovitz was signed by Impact in Feb 2017, over 2 seasons ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dont focus on that, focus on Kaye

or Telfer (thankfully hes technically still under TFC)
    or lets go further back... Laba
    or Plata
    or Frei
    or Sam Cronin
    or Beitashour

am I missing anyone?

Im sure other teams have a similar list, but it still stings
    Last edited by C.Ronaldo; 07-16-2019 at 09:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets not re-write history, pretty much nobody had an issue with Lovitz being let go at that time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    When was he released again? It wasn't recently. Why don't we mourn Gilbertos loss too as he's currently got 17 goals in the Brazilian League. I get that Boyd has underperformed but cmon
    I recall people here mourning Gilberto and wishing he was back too.

Lovitz was truly a bottom of the barrel player here, but after a bit of time with MTL has hit the gym hard and looks reasonably decent at times. Could end up being a decent MLS journeyman type.

Or, he could end up like Warren Creavalle, who sucked here when he was stuck out of position at RB then ended up playing well as a DM once we traded him. Then again, he only looked good for a bit and has since disappeared into obscurity (despite his streetwear stuff).

It’s a bit luck of the draw, I guess, but some of it has to be the FO’s treatment of the situation and ability to spot talent or play to a player’s strengths rather than seeing them as pegs in a system, or maybe a motivation issue. Nobody knows at this point...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Lets not re-write history, pretty much nobody had an issue with Lovitz being let go at that time.
    No kidding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

people are talking like lovitz is the 2nd maldini...i didnt watch the game saturday was he that good?i think we won 2 nil ...lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    people are talking like lovitz is the 2nd maldini...i didnt watch the game saturday was he that good?i think we won 2 nil ...lol
    We scored an insane free kick and a goal directly due to Piette getting injured. Lovitz was one of the best on the opposing team despite being a TFC reject on < $100k.

It’s being talked about because we have previously let go of players who ended up better elsewhere, when it would be beneficial for them to be better while here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    We scored an insane free kick and a goal directly due to Piette getting injured. Lovitz was one of the best on the opposing team despite being a TFC reject on < $100k.

It’s being talked about because we have previously let go of players who ended up better elsewhere, when it would be beneficial for them to be better while here.
    k thx...but you can say that about every team in world.the one that got away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    k thx...but you can say that about every team in world.the one that got away.
    Yeah, of course. Works that way or vice versa at every level of play.

I think people are just calling out mismanagement or poor identification of talent here when it’s not the “one” that got away, but the more than one who’ve gone on to do much better elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, of course. Works that way or vice versa at every level of play.

I think people are just calling out mismanagement or poor identification of talent here when it’s not the “one” that got away, but the more than one who’ve gone on to do much better elsewhere.
    Historically we’ve been good at bringing in players that are already talented / established and seeing them through. Identifying solid prospects or developing players... not so much.

More of a focus now, as we’re getting further away from the championship season. If we win only a minority cares what our player composition is. That said, this league (not just TFC) needs more local talent to spur interest and provide a connection to the community.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    This.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't mean to stir the Lovitz pot, lol.

The fact that nobody is talking about Kinumbe at Montreal proves my point. Once you get beyond the starting defenders, the drop off is steep and expectations are low, and nobody looks at the backups. This applies throughout MLS. So I have no problem with Morgan being on TFC as a "backup." He has a great attitude, is cheap, and can slot in on those occasions when he's needed.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t get the Kinumbe reference. Can someone fill me in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If only we still had "not an ordinary right back".

Lovitz was tough to let go of at the time as he was young and hungry with upside but we built THE championship team that year so in retrospect it was fine. I would definitely have preferred a Telfer situation where we loaned him down a league.

by the way Telfer is lighting it up lately. wow. He looked so good for the 20 minutes we played him when all hands were needed on deck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I don’t get the Kinumbe reference. Can someone fill me in?
    Canadian in the Montreal stream, has played U20 for canada, hasn't seen much time this year for montreal. 1 game in MLS, 1 in CanChamps not sure if there is more depth to the story

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section_105 View Post
    Canadian in the Montreal stream, has played U20 for canada, hasn't seen much time this year for montreal. 1 game in MLS, 1 in CanChamps not sure if there is more depth to the story
    Montreal's equivalent to Morgan. That's all, nothing more.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leafsman View Post
    Lovitz was signed by Impact in Feb 2017, over 2 seasons ago.
    Sometimes players need a reset by going to a new environment with a different structure. It works for some and not for others. None of this is new.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve Goff reporting that 1 MLS team has approached DC United about trading for Asad's rights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    Steve Goff reporting that 1 MLS team has approached DC United about trading for Asad's rights.
    Would be a solid addition, hopefully its not atlanta.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just as an FYI, Janson has signed for Velez Sarsfield. Currently managed by Gabriel Heintze.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We must have seen something in Lovitz. We traded to get him back the day he was taken from us by NYCFC in the expansion draft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    This.
    I did. I thought he was good for us, a good utility wide player. For what he cost it seemed stupid to drop him.

At least with Raheem, Kaye and Hamilton they all reportedly had attitude issues in training, so there was some justification for writing off the obvious athletic ability. But Lovitz worked hard and deserved to stick; I thought the same about Tosaint. Yeah, he was limited, but he was dangerous late and had thirteen goals off the bench for us over a couple of seasons, not bad for a guy who'd never regularly had a chance to play as a striker before us.

I felt the same about Telfer going down. Perhaps it's something major I'm not seeing like read of the play off the ball leading to defensive mixups; but he looked super solid and we were short of wide players.

I dunno. I think there are a lot of decisions at this club that seemed to be based on politics or character and not skill. With young players, that seems shortsighted. It's not like they replaced any of them with someone better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    We must have seen something in Lovitz. We traded to get him back the day he was taken from us by NYCFC in the expansion draft.
    This could have been the case during the expansion draft (we brought back Irwin too), but it wasn’t so much the case a bit further on:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...pact-1.5095594

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This could have been the case during the expansion draft (we brought back Irwin too), but it wasn’t so much the case a bit further on:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...pact-1.5095594
    So even the Whitecaps wouldn't take him. It's nice for him that he got a second chance at Montreal, many who get cut never get a second chance. It's the reality of professional sports.