Page 111 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,330 of 3511
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    I really believe Re-upping Jozy at the money we did is one of the most short sighted moves we've ever made and I really think it bites us in the ass many times over. Not just the opportunity cost in the short term, but we've 3 of the top 7 earning DPs in the league and we're a mid table side, I think people need to wake up to the fact that if we don't start getting an ROI on these guys MLSE will turn off the tap. We aren't a charity and they won't continue throwing money away for middling outcomes they could get at a fraction of the cost
    You need to put this argument to rest - this turning off the tap thing isn't going to happen - and let's assume it - it would be at most 1 season until the rest of the eggs are sorted in the basket - at which point that Tap would be turned right back on and it'll be done quick. You need to spend on DPs in MLS - our DPs are not the main thing hindering us from being great - it's the rest of the squad staying healthy.

Last year we were fucked because of injuries to our spine - You don't become a great team when both of your main CBs are injured, when you main playmaker is injured, when your striker is injured. when other parts of your defence is constantly injured.... This is MLS - not fucking Europe - we don't have deep rosters where you have 5 starting calibre players able to jump into key positions just sitting on your bench waiting for the right moment.

We then went and rebuilt our spine this year and we did it in half a year - that's a big fucking deal.

You need to take a step back and actually look at went on these past two seasons and how things have come together and are also still falling apart. Your perspective is way off the mark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    If i'm Cavalini i'm drooling about the idea of playing with Pozuelo in my hometown. With all due respect to LIGA MX, how many players in all of Liga MX can deliver the service of a healthy and fit Alejandro Pozuelo? TFC can offer him something that other teams cannot and that's to be the face of the franchise "home town boy" He could probably get more endorsements here potentially, even if it's still Canada. I guess it depends what offers he actually gets from MX/Europe.
    On a top Liga MX side? My specific knowledge is fleeting but my gut feeling says he wouldn’t exactly be struggling for service.

I dunno, depends on the player I guess. But if I were in his situation and looking at it from the outside in i might stay clear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    You need to put this argument to rest - this turning off the tap thing isn't going to happen - and let's assume it - it would be at most 1 season until the rest of the eggs are sorted in the basket - at which point that Tap would be turned right back on and it'll be done quick. You need to spend on DPs in MLS - our DPs are not the main thing hindering us from being great - it's the rest of the squad staying healthy.

Last year we were fucked because of injuries to our spine - You don't become a great team when both of your main CBs are injured, when you main playmaker is injured, when your striker is injured. when other parts of your defence is constantly injured.... This is MLS - not fucking Europe - we don't have deep rosters where you have 5 starting calibre players able to jump into key positions just sitting on your bench waiting for the right moment.

We then went and rebuilt our spine this year and we did it in half a year - that's a big fucking deal.

You need to take a step back and actually look at went on these past two seasons and how things have come together and are also still falling apart. Your perspective is way off the mark.
    I look at what's gone on in the past 6 seasons in terms of supports shield standings which is the best way to measure overall quality of the side

2014 - 13th
    2015 - 12th
    2016 - 5th
    2017 - 1st
    2018 - 17th
    2019 - currently 11th

That's a large sample where we've been either the biggest spender in the league or close to it, and we've been rank average more often than not (Average finishing position is 10th, that's over a substantial 6 year sample). I think you're naive if you think MLSE is looking at their spend with us, the return and the spend:return of other teams and thinking "Yep, we're getting bang for our buck here". This won't go on indefinitely, we either start showing a return or it ends - it's that simple. They aren't in the setting money on fire business.

EDIT - added 2014, Bradley signed and it was the first mega money spending season so seems appropiate
    Last edited by JoesphNdo; 09-30-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I look at what's gone on in the past 6 seasons in terms of supports shield standings which is the best way to measure overall quality of the side

2014 - 13th
    2015 - 12th
    2016 - 5th
    2017 - 1st
    2018 - 17th
    2019 - currently 11th

That's a large sample where we've been either the biggest spender in the league or close to it, and we've been rank average more often than not. I think you're naive if you think MLSE is looking at their spend with us, the return and the spend:return of other teams and thinking "Yep, we're getting bang for our buck here". This won't go on indefinitely, we either start showing a return or it ends - it's that simple. They aren't in the setting money on fire business.

EDIT - added 2014, Bradley signed and it was the first mega money spending season so seems appropiate

Since 2009 TFC has ALWAYS been close to the top of the spending charts and they were shit back then and the spending hasn't stopped since then.
    If MLSE wants to cash in on TFC - they have to be competing for trophies - and that means spending. They know that - hence why they were not afraid to pay for Pozuelo and Jozy and Bradley or Bradly replacement - TFC will always have max DPs - they did it before - they're doing it today - they'll keep doing it.

You can look at the standings all you want - if you are not looking at the Why's - then you are not looking hard enough.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2014 - 13th
    2015 - 12th
    2016 - 5th
    2017 - 1st
    2018 - 17th
    2019 - currently 11th

That's a large sample where we've been either the biggest spender in the league or close to it, and we've been rank average more often than not (Average finishing position is 10th, that's over a substantial 6 year sample). I think you're naive if you think MLSE is looking at their spend with us, the return and the spend:return of other teams and thinking "Yep, we're getting bang for our buck here". This won't go on indefinitely, we either start showing a return or it ends - it's that simple. They aren't in the setting money on fire business.
    You're not looking at it the right way. Spending and failing doesn't mean stop spending and become Dallas. It means the hammer will fall on the Manager, GM, and President, most likely in that order. Not getting bang for your buck with a high payroll means managment selected poor/overpriced players or the players on the squad have been around for a while and have grown old as their contracts increased or the manager ran out of ideas/lost the room. Those are all issues that would fall on the three positions mentioned.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a reminder that the "score at will" for more then 1 season sort of player is rare in this league.

Seba - 2 seasons

Dempsey - 1 season

Vela - 1 season

Zlatan - 1.5 seasons (so far)

Martinez - 1 season (injuries curtailed 2 now)

Villa - 1 season

Good luck buying another one.

Jozy will get his goals and assists. Poz will get his goals/assists. If they are both on the pitch, you can count on at least 1 assist or goal for 1 of them / 90. Lots of "dang if only's" followed by 1 magic moment that scores or assitsts per game.

Also people still have no clue after all these years what Jozy's work rate does opening up defences. Or how Poz's technique opens up passing lanes all the time.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    You're not looking at it the right way. Spending and failing doesn't mean stop spending and become Dallas. It means the hammer will fall on the Manager, GM, and President, most likely in that order. Not getting bang for your buck with a high payroll means managment selected poor/overpriced players or the players on the squad have been around for a while and have grown old as their contracts increased or the manager ran out of ideas/lost the room. Those are all issues that would fall on the three positions mentioned.

Bez made some bad decisions last seasons and IMO - was key to why this season started off the way it did:

Not signing Beitashour or a Drew Moor replacement
    Not replacing Cheyrou
    Not upgrading our depth
    Signing Auro (injury prone) and GvW (bad football decision)

That alone didn't tank our 2018 season - health played a big factor
    Morrow, Mavinga, Moor, VV, Auro, Jozy - all of them starters losing significant minutes

Then our 2019 started off with:
    Losing Seba, VV, GvW and having Jozy injured, Moor injured, Auro injured - again having to deal with 6 starters gone or missing

Don't kid yourselves These are not normal circumstances for contending MLS teams to face.

TFC has comfortable length on their rope - especially with them making the playoffs this year.
    Pressure will be on next season to prove they are MLS Cup contendenders again. If not, only then can we talk about heads rolling and money drying up (which will not happen) - but even then I doubt it'll be the massacre people on this message board are calling for.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 10-01-2019 at 09:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed, that’s pretty damning when you look at it in totality (DP heavy salaries or not).

Anyway, it’s a new era with Curtis. Not sure if that means good or bad things at the moment but doing the same thing we did in the past is likely off the table

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bez made some bad decisions last seasons and IMO - was key to why this season started off the way it did:

Not signing Beitashour or a Drew Moor replacement
    Not replacing Cheyrou
    Not upgrading our depth
    Signing Auro (injury prone) and GvW (bad football decision)

That alone didn't tank our 2018 season - health played a big factor
    Morrow, Mavinga, Moor, VV, Auro, Jozy - all of them starters losing significant minutes

Then our 2019 started off with:
    Losing Seba, VV, GvW and having Jozy injured, Moor injured, Auro injured - again having to deal with 6 starters gone or missing

Don't kid yourselves These are not normal circumstances for contending MLS teams to face.

TFC has comfortable length on their rope - especially with them making the playoffs this year.
    Pressure will be on next season to prove they are MLS Cup contendenders again. If not, only then can we talk about heads rolling and money drying up (which will not happen) - but even then I doubt it'll be the massacre people on this message board are calling for.
    Auro is not a bad signing. Hes a solid player on a fair number. On whoscored.com Auro is ranked as the third best player on the team all season. Him and Delgado get way too much blame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah i'm probably expressing myself poorly, I actually fully agree with this. That's what I mean by we either show a return or they stop, I don't think they stop spending tomorrow but more the current trend of being the highest spenders in the league and averaging 10th place finish can't continue, the buck has to stop somewhere because our return hasn't been close to good enough. I just think it's important the club doesn't just piss money away without getting a return if we want that money to keep coming.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Auro is not a bad signing. Hes a solid player on a fair number. On whoscored.com Auro is ranked as the third best player on the team all season. Him and Delgado get way too much blame.
    He's a great player - but injury prone. the guy has barely played 1/2 season last year and this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's a great player - but injury prone. the guy has barely played 1/2 season last year and this.
    You know who else is injury prone? Jozy Altidore. 50% of possible minutes played.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    You know who else is injury prone? Jozy Altidore. 50% of possible minutes played.

Oh I know...oooooooh I know. It's hard to deny what he brings to the table when he is healthy - but hard to be ok with paying that much money for a player who plays 1/3 - 1/2 a season....oooooooooh I know

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auro is a complete bust. He's barely okay going forward, but has absolutely no idea how to defend, and his positioning is awful. Seriously, he's a pub team player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’d acknowledge that Auro’s positioning is not perfect but I also think there needs to be some acknowledgment how a fullback is expected to play has changed.

People automatically hammer him any time he’s further up field and someone ends up on the counter attack facing down Gonzales. Well, 1) that’s often a conscious tactical choice by Vanney to push up his fullbacks 2) it often follows that if the FB is pinching up it’s one of the midfielders job to make the recovery run.

And, to be frank, for a million bucks a year and the added inconvenience of all the USMNT call-ups I think Gonzales should be faster and not a liability if faced up 1v1. That’s a glaring deficiency for someone we paid top dollar for.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 10-01-2019 at 05:40 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    And, to be frank, for a million bucks a year and the added inconvenience of all the USMNT call-ups I think Gonzales should be faster and not a liability if faced up 1v1. That’s a glaring deficiency for someone we paid top dollar for.
    Not sure who you are talking about here

a) Gonzalez ain't going to the USMNT again and if so, not for long - he ain't going to Qatar
    b) lots of good defenders in this league are not fast - they usually pair with a speedster - guys who rely upon their speed end up going to ground a lot (see Ciman)
    c) since when is he a liability faced up 1 v 1 - he eats those scenarios up - he can't handle speed (is that what you mean) but a guy with a pass to his feet in front of Gonzalez does not get much farther

Truest test - since he came in, what's our record? Our defence was crud. Now its not. In this league, that's worth his pay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Not sure who you are talking about here

a) Gonzalez ain't going to the USMNT again and if so, not for long - he ain't going to Qatar
    b) lots of good defenders in this league are not fast - they usually pair with a speedster - guys who rely upon their speed end up going to ground a lot (see Ciman)
    c) since when is he a liability faced up 1 v 1 - he eats those scenarios up - he can't handle speed (is that what you mean) but a guy with a pass to his feet in front of Gonzalez does not get much farther

Truest test - since he came in, what's our record? Our defence was crud. Now its not. In this league, that's worth his pay.
    a) He's still being called by the USMNT on occasion meaning sometimes he will be unavailable when TFC plays. Whether or not he goes to Qatar is a moot point.
    b) Show me the defender in earning $1MM a year who is "good" and slower.
    c) Correct he cannot handle speed. I find other teams look for that matchup all the time whenever they can get a ball in behind or to someone who has room to take the first step. I won't take away the fact he's dominant in the air, a good organizer, and good on the ball.

Is he worth it? I'm not sure. I think for a million bucks for a defender in this league we shouldn't have many (or any) compromises. We get into this habit of saying "yeah, but that signing plugged a gap". Okay sure, but it doesn't mean it was the best signing for the money or the right move longer term. IMO if we're going to step up to be champions again, our signings have to be good value not just good enough to solve an immediate problem.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

b) Show me the defender in earning $1MM a year who is "good" and slower.
    "Good" is debatable but Jorgen Skjelvik makes over $1M and he isn't exactly fast but I would take Omar over him based on his other attributes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’d acknowledge that Auro’s positioning is not perfect but I also think there needs to be some acknowledgment how a fullback is expected to play has changed.

People automatically hammer him any time he’s further up field and someone ends up on the counter attack facing down Gonzales. Well, 1) that’s often a conscious tactical choice by Vanney to push up his fullbacks 2) it often follows that if the FB is pinching up it’s one of the midfielders job to make the recovery run.

If Gonzalez was a little faster, he's easily going into DP range or playing in Europe. The nature of MLS means we're always getting the third pick of the litter, aka the centerbacks we do pick up are always going to have some glaring flaw in their game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will be interesting to see if Jordan Perruzza get a first team chance next year after extending his season goal total to 14 with TFCII last night in their 2-1 victory over Richmond. He is two behind the golden boot leader with one game to go.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He should get a look in I would hope but they are playing in Div 3 level.

I'm interested in how they treat Jon Bakero who has been starting on the best team in Div 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    He should get a look in I would hope but they are playing in Div 3 level.
    To be fair to Perruzza, he was looking the part in the USL last year, looking better than forwards playing at that level for longer like Hundal. Honestly, I hope that he gets a loan to a USL Championship club next year just so he can continue to improve. USL League One is starting to look a bit too easy for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Red View Post
    Auro is a complete bust. He's barely okay going forward, but has absolutely no idea how to defend, and his positioning is awful. Seriously, he's a pub team player.
    Agreed, pretty mediocre all around, poor defender which is his main job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Agreed, pretty mediocre all around, poor defender which is his main job.
    i dont even see how hes sharing the starting spot with richie at this point

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I appreciate everyone's opinions on what we should do whether it's moving players or picking them up, it's never that simple. Should be interesting regardless to see what we do. If Bradley is back I hope he's not a DP and I do think he would come back not as a DP and playing less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    I think Laryea is already their #1, he’s just logged too many miles so they are rotating in Auro on occasion. Much prefer Laryea as the first option, no argument there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then how he is ranked ahead of everyone on the team minus Jozy and Poz on whoscored.com? Auro might be the best passer on the team and the only FB who can cross a ball properly. His positioning is better than Laryeas but hes just slow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In this league you need a solid set of 3 fullbacks to rotate through. Laryea, Auro, and Morrow are a good set. (Though Morrow appears to be regressing).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then how he is ranked ahead of everyone on the team minus Jozy and Poz on whoscored.com? Auro might be the best passer on the team and the only FB who can cross a ball properly. His positioning is better than Laryeas but hes just slow.
    its not that hes just slow, his reaction time and reading the defensive play is slow as well. he doesn't seem to be on the same page defensively as the rest of the team.

richie offers more, hustle is big in MLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its not that hes just slow, his reaction time and reading the defensive play is slow as well. he doesn't seem to be on the same page defensively as the rest of the team.

richie offers more, hustle is big in MLS
    Auro might yet be one of the most technically proficient players on this team. And while he may not be as defensively strong, it's not as if it's bad.