Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
Yeah let's all be honest, we don't actually know what vdW leaving now means in terms of roster and cap hit. Oliver Platt said so himself at the top of his Twitter thread: "I imagine that might mean partial but not full cap relief for TFC." If it was full cap relief, then they likely would have done it earlier. I see no mechanism for that in MLS; otherwise lots of teams would do some kind of "mutual consent" thing. If vdw were going straight to another team, i.e. trade, then there would be cap relief. But they didn't announce a trade, most transfer windows are closed (unless he were moving within MLS), and "mutual consent" means something else.

I doubt we ever get full disclosure about this. Maybe some hints based on where vdW goes next. Folks here in this thread will comment based on how they would like to spin it for the club (good or bad).
He is now a free agent. No club. Doesn’t that allow him to still be picked up post transfer window closing? For example, Norwich in the Championship needs some upgrades so they can get promoted (only to get relegated but that’s next year)