Page 45 of 118 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 3511
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JT Red127 View Post

Saudi Arabia also just beheaded 37 people in one mass execution, some people might see that as somewhere they might not want to live.
    My late father worked on a project in Saudi for his consulting engineering firm employer for a couple of years on and off. One day they rounded up all the foreigners in the area to watch someone get whipped by the authorities for breaking some rule. "Fun" stuff. He hated every minute he was there.

However, if you follow the rules, don't try to smuggle in/home brew alcohol, don't use drugs, don't try to engage their women in conversation, don't say anything political or religious, don't get into any controversies and just do your job they'll pay you very well. There's good deals to be had in the marketplaces, and personal security from things like theft is quite high.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does everyone want to move on?

I am not saying he’s necessarily coming back, but the guy is going to move this summer, I would bet on that

I’d bet it’s a lot more real than 75% of what’s in this thread
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Don't want him.

Move on.

TFC weekly Pravda Insider report by Wheeler indicates TFC has taragets looked at within the league but teams don't feel the need to do deals at this point.
    Management aren’t filling me with confidence at this point. “Next year, we are going to play a 4-3-3 with wingers”. “You don’t have any wingers”. “ oh. Dear”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

I am not saying he’s necessarily coming back, but the guy is going to move this summer, I would bet on that

It sure looks like he will move.

I’d welcome him back gladly. Will never forget him stepping off a plane and putting us in the playoffs, ever. But I do wish they would bring in a winger...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suspect some level of feeling scorned is behind it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I suspect some level of feeling scorned is behind it.
    True.

Is this the direction that makes sense at this stage however, given we’ve committed to Pozuelo and Altidore?

I’m not entirely sure. On the one hand, it goes against the direction the league is going tactically and the way we claim we want to play. On the other, he could still be one of the best players in the league, full stop. And in the end I think roster quality will trump tactics (most of the time).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can do better than Giovinco at this point for DP money. Even considering getting him back is ridiculous.

I get people have an attachment to him but if he was just some other near 33 year old player coming off a failed Middle East adventure almost everyone here would have their pitchforks sharpened. Especially at DP money.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    You can do better than Giovinco at this point for DP money. Even considering getting him back is ridiculous.

I get people have an attachment to him but if he was just some other near 33 year old player coming off a failed Middle East adventure almost everyone here would have their pitchforks sharpened. Especially at DP money.

Ya don't think it's too early to say it failed?

I guess people think because he got paid (11mil), coming here he'd take a pay cut - like a TAM paycut...I'm LOL'ing as I wrote that

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The chances of him coming back are around 0%.

First, he isn't worth DP money. Only an idiot would pay him what he wants. Second, his ego is WAY too big to come sulking back with his tail between his legs after all his parting shots. Lastly, we only have TAM space available and no way will he ever come back to $1.5M for greed as well as ego issues.

We have an equal shot of getting Messi as we do Giovinco this summer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, he isn't worth DP money. Only an idiot would pay him what he wants. Second, his ego is WAY too big to come sulking back with his tail between his legs after all his parting shots. Lastly, we only have TAM space available and no way will he ever come back to $1.5M for greed as well as ego issues.

He is worth DP money and he will get it somewhere. This is not a great take.

Ego is an issue. You can never tell though.

He'd have to do a Zlatan and take a bridge TAM deal to come here. Seems unlikely. I am not that serious/convinced about him coming back to TFC, but my guess is that there is a real chance he comes back to MLS.

(He should maybe go to DCU - to replace Acosta- or, gulp, Montreal)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(He should maybe go to DCU - to replace Acosta- or, gulp, Montreal)
    Maybe he goes to Montreal, on a TAM deal. That he gets a new villa built for him in Italy shortly after, will of course be totally unrelated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I was to bet you $100 that he is coming back what odds would you give me?
    You would take the opposite side of the bet.
    Even if you don't bet what odds would you give me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Maybe he goes to Montreal, on a TAM deal. That he gets a new villa built for him in Italy shortly after, will of course be totally unrelated.
    Good one!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

am i missing something...so gio is going to leave 11 mil to come back and make 2 mil ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Saudis would buy him out for $5M. Then he comes to MLS for $4M a year for 3 years (it’d have to be $1.5M for stub year at TFC or any other 3 DP year)

He’d give up around $5-7M of what he would have made in Saudi over next two years, so I am assuming he has seen the folly of maximizing dollars. I am also assuming the Saudis would want him gone, and would pay him a quarter of what they owe him to go away

(Hey, it’s more fun than talking about Orlando in the game thread)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is what they said about Messi today. If you take out Messi and replace with Giovinco it sounds like us, which also explains a bit of our struggles - our team was trained to get him the ball and wait for moment of brilliance. Difficult to get rid of that habit as it is mental.

More than anything, Liverpool will have to cling to the hope that Messi can somehow be restrained. At times Barça’s plan seemed to revolve around nothing more than getting the ball to him, sometimes even when he was not the best option for the pass, and hoping he would be able to weave past however many defenders stood in his route. And Messi, being Messi, he always looked up for the challenge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    My late father worked on a project in Saudi for his consulting engineering firm employer for a couple of years on and off. One day they rounded up all the foreigners in the area to watch someone get whipped by the authorities for breaking some rule. "Fun" stuff. He hated every minute he was there.

However, if you follow the rules, don't try to smuggle in/home brew alcohol, don't use drugs, don't try to engage their women in conversation, don't say anything political or religious, don't get into any controversies and just do your job they'll pay you very well. There's good deals to be had in the marketplaces, and personal security from things like theft is quite high.
    you tube is filled with these stories.
    no idea why anyone would go now knowing what goes on there.

Back on topic , #FreeSeba to CPL

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Montreal is much more realistic but even then not likely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Montreal is much more realistic but even then not likely.
    Seba would have to come back to MLS through the allocation order...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Seba would have to come back to MLS through the allocation order...
    Sadly, Giovinco would never return to MLS. But if he did return to TFC, we would immediately be favoured to win the Cup this year. Playing with Poz and Altidore and Bradley, we wouldnt have to replace the other stiffs on the team...their jobs would be easy...give him the ball. ....With all the issues TFC has this year, a star quality forward, in Sebas image, would do wonders.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    you tube is filled with these stories.
    no idea why anyone would go now knowing what goes on there.

Back on topic , #FreeSeba to CPL
    Hard to reject double money

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seba was a mercenary when he came here. He brought us the cup. That's it.
    It's about the money.
    There is this weird hope that pro-athletes will fall in love with Toronto and stick around.
    T.O. has 7 months of shitty weather & high taxes.
    Last edited by boozilla; 05-01-2019 at 11:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boozilla View Post
    It's about the money.
    There is this weird hope that pro-athletes will fall in love with Toronto and stick around.
    Compared to Saudi Arabia, we have high taxes. Compared to Europe and elsewhere, we have low taxes and comparable or better services, and other advantages ie more privacy. The myth that we have high taxes is just that

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boozilla View Post
    It's about the money.
    Just like with any job, a lot of people move to Toronto for the money. Even more people move for the money combined with some other factor like nearness to family or other such factors (e.g. Ciman). A few probably genuinely like Toronto and that plays a role for them.

It's a small minority of people who would move to a place like Saudi just for the bucks, and they tend to be young and single and only stay for a couple of years. That's why the Saudis have to pay so much, it's an awful place to live, and not just because of their laws. If you think dealing with snow is disaffecting, try dealing with sandstorms and blistering heat.

I can easily imagine a scenario where Giovinco's partner is already fed up, and it's showing in Seba's play. My bet is Seba returns to Italy a rich man.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 05-02-2019 at 09:17 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me thinks that the piece today, 'Wheeler's Insider | Countdown to the Close of the Transfer Window' was meant to soften the maddening crowd towards no significant signings until summer....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    Me thinks that the piece today, 'Wheeler's Insider | Countdown to the Close of the Transfer Window' was meant to soften the maddening crowd towards no significant signings until summer....
    Looks like it doesnt it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Looks like it doesnt it?
    Yup. Same preaching patience from him and Dunfield on the Pravda Podcast.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One might begin to think that when Bez then VV & Seba left, that the brain trust started to think about this team being at its best in 2020 rather then 2019.

I get the need to get the right guy but half season new people that make a consistent solid impact BEFORE the next season are rare. Especially in the defence.

This is not yet a playoff team for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Hard to reject double money
    not for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Yup. Same preaching patience from him and Dunfield on the Pravda Podcast.
    Bravo - very good!