Page 40 of 118 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 3511
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    The direction of the club is obvious - they want to go with a system that allows for a wider variety of options to play.
    The
    next phase will derive from a 4-3-3 but we need the right players to come in. It's that simple. There's nothing to question.

If you guys follow world football - and I know you do - you don't just waltz out and get the player you want on the first try. They didn't Get poz on the first try. They seem to have had Menendez signed, but then you know, South America.

If you want to yell at TFC for anything - it should be about opening their mouths and showing their hand too soon. It's clearly tipping off other teams that they can haggle the club for more money - Agents holding out for more money. etc.
    I think there is more too it than that. They need more than one wide player for starters. Right now our ability to play different formations is paper thin. A few injuries and we lose the flexibility. And they’re probably close to full on senior roster spaces. So who comes and who goes if changes need to be made?

I don’t accept “South America” as an excuse for the lack of signings to date. Menendez can do the job but his profile is nothing overly special. They should have moved on and pulled the trigger on someone a long time ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not rocket science - Drew Moor, more specifically, the role he plays on the team, is the issue
    We do not have anyone who can replace him when he gets injured.

Someone should run a record comparison when he is in the squad vs not in the squad. Also as important - run the GA when he's on the pitch vs not.
    He’s old and has spent a lot of time injured now. While his leadership is important, he’s also slow and teams have used this to their advantage.

FO said they’re looking for a CB; it seems pretty obvious that this would be the Moor replacement.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    We have 4 wins and a tie through 6 games.

How do you justify the part I bolded?

Because our defence is shit, we all know it, every other team knows it, Vanney knows it, our players know it, and we adjust our tactics to reduce how shitty the defence is. That we have to score 3 per game otherwise we don't win is not a strategy as much as just what has to happen.

We have the worst goals against per game in the East and the 4th worst in the league.

I'm not hard on the 4-3-3. What I'd like to see is us using a strategy each week, no matter what the formation, built around ensuring we bash teams, rather than ensuring we don't get throttled when Drew Moor isn't in the lineup.

A left sided attacker would help with that as we could then move Osorio deeeper which would move Bradley a tad higher. Heck, moving Ciman to RB as Kristian Jack has suggeseted, would help as it would move Auro up and possibly move DeLeon back which would move Bradley up that tad higher. (Auro is NOT a defender)

Every lineup we have had out there since that first game in Panama has been ensuring our defence doesn't get overwhelmed. That's not a receipe for dominating MLS.

We didn't do that in 2017.

Atlanta didn't do that in 2018.

I don't know if Seattle EVER did that.

LAG doesn't do that.

LAFC isn't doing that.

We want to be a big strong MLS team? Sure, then lets figure out a way to get the horses in place that our game strategy does not revolve around whether Drew Moor is in the lineup.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some good rants today.

Al Hilal are probably through to knockout stage in AFC. Will play June 17 and 24 or similar against a pretty good team from Japan, China or Korea. If they get punched out in June....

“What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not rocket science - Drew Moor, more specifically, the role he plays on the team, is the issue

This I heartily agree with.

(BTW, as I've said before, I'm treating this discussion like I'm while its going on. I'm good with it all.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every lineup we have had out there since that first game in Panama has been ensuring our defence doesn't get overwhelmed. That's not a receipe for dominating MLS.

We didn't do that in 2017.

Atlanta didn't do that in 2018.

I don't know if Seattle EVER did that.

LAG doesn't do that.

LAFC isn't doing that.
    SKC & NYRB have kind of been doing that though with their aggressive pressing & countering systems and both have been pretty dominant for a long while.

And Seattle did that in both MLS Cup finals against us and it was pretty successful in both.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    SKC & NYRB have kind of been doing that though with their aggressive pressing & countering systems and both have been pretty dominant for a long while.
    Dude....if I was in the pub, now your making me sip the beer and think a bit.

Thanks!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Some good rants today.

Al Hilal are probably through to knockout stage in AFC. Will play June 17 and 24 or similar against a pretty good team from Japan, China or Korea. If they get punched out in June....

Right?!? I'm almost afraid to chime in. good troll there though

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    (BTW, as I've said before, I'm treating this discussion like I'm while its going on. I'm good with it all.)
    Me too - I like to swear

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    He’s old and has spent a lot of time injured now. While his leadership is important, he’s also slow and teams have used this to their advantage.

FO said they’re looking for a CB; it seems pretty obvious that this would be the Moor replacement.
    Right. He's old and slow But he is our defensive quarterback. He's the only one on the team who can control the defensive piece in an efficient manner. If someone loses an assignment, more often than not, he has players in place to make up for it.

Our record with him in the lineup is exceptionally better than without him in the lineup. Our GA is much lower with him in the lineup. We don't give up as many cheap goals with him in the lineup.

Sure you can purely look at his lack of physical attributes (old, slow) but he more than makes up for it in football IQ and it shows. Clearly. Without a doubt.

But he and his position are a huge problem. He's old and slow and therefore gets injured too often, but more importantly there is no one to cover for him. NO ONE.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mavinga was supposed to replace Moor.

Of the three of Mavinga, Moor and Ciman, I kinda think Mavinga is the likeliest to go first.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of the three of Mavinga, Moor and Ciman, I kinda think Mavinga is the likeliest to go first.

go of who's will, the team's or his??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll say what I said in another thread. We have lots of quality at the back. But Ciman and Mavinga have similar tendencies to, as an old coach of mine would have said, go on adventures. This is where, as others are saying, Moor is they key. If we can get the same 2 or 3 centre halves in there every game depending on formation, with Moor as the steadying force, they will learn their tendencies better and be able to read each other. They all need time to play with each other.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And Ciman has been improving with more match time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    go of who's will, the team's or his??
    The team's.

If you bring in Ream or Miazga or Gonzalez, someone has to go.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The team's.

If you bring in Ream or Miazga or Gonzalez, someone has to go.
    Moor's on his last legs, which makes me think they wouldn't want to move Mavinga. We'd be an injury away from Zavaleta starting. And Ciman has been ok, but he's brutally slow. Mavinga seems to be having a similar start to his first season with us, where he was mostly good, but had some boneheaded moments. He then played his way to being one of the best defenders in the league. I'd give Mavinga some more time to come around after an injury-filled season last year.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They aren’t really the same type of defender though, so I guess they didn’t really think about it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really don't want 'Own Goal' Gonzalez but I think that's what it will be.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I really don't want 'Own Goal' Gonzalez but I think that's what it will be.
    Gonzalez had a pretty darn good game the Friday before that one in Trinidad but nobody in the US wants to remember his contribution or Altidore's that day, for that matter.

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/ma...anama/boxscore

Gonzalez was an everyday starter for Atlas until a new manager who doesn't like him. He is also one of the few CB's out there who has won an MLS cup.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

bwhahahaha now I know you are trolling.

Ciman is not better choice than Mavinga

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bwhahahaha now I know you are trolling.

Ciman is not better choice than Mavinga
    That’s not what he’s saying though. He’s saying of those CBs, he thinks Mavinga will leave TFC before the other two, not that Ciman is better than Mavinga.

I can see the FO moving for Gonzalez as TFC is basically the USMNT’s dumping ground. I think he’s been over-crucified for his role in the missed qualification, like Jozy and Bradley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That’s not what he’s saying though. He’s saying of those CBs, he thinks Mavinga will leave TFC before the other two, not that Ciman is better than Mavinga.

I can see the FO moving for Gonzalez as TFC is basically the USMNT’s dumping ground. I think he’s been over-crucified for his role in the missed qualification, like Jozy and Bradley.
    Really? I think he’s been under crucified. 😂 Jozy and Bradley take all the flack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Omar is a free agent this summer. He was a force in MLS and brings size to a tiny backline. I'd be fine with using the allocation spot on him. He's only 30.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem is we need about a minimum of 2-3 defenders a winger and another midfielder at minimum to manage CCL, regular season and MLS cup playoffs. The big thing is we need to compete in Champions league and MLS roster rules doesn’t allow it. They really need to open up the rules a little bit to give Atlanta, TFC, LAFC, Galaxy, Seattle etc a chance. Even Atlanta is last this season! MLS has parity god damn it let the big boys spend. How long will bottom feeder teams hold down top MLS teams that want to get to the next level? Seattle and Atlanta will lose fans if they don’t have consistent growth, already happening in Seattle, albeit early

To compete vs LIGA Mx

Altidore
    Pozuelo
    Quality Player
    Quality Player
    Quality Player
    Quality Player
    Bradley
    Osorio
    Mavinga
    Moor
    Morrow
    Auro
    Ciman
    Deleon
    Delgado
    Akinola
    Hamilton
    Chapman

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are correct. This is what I was saying.

I think Mavinga is unhappy. I am not exactly sure why, something about his play, his body language, the twitter stuff. He seems like one of those athletes that needs to keep moving every couple of years.

I only troll re Seba’s impending triumphant return. Otherwise, I am serious! (Mostly)
    Last edited by ensco; 04-25-2019 at 09:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone should run a record comparison when he is in the squad vs not in the squad. Also as important - run the GA when he's on the pitch vs not.
    Challenge accepted. I went though all the games since Drew Moor signed in 2016. With Moor in the line up our record is 44W - 28D - 23L with 103GA. That translates into 1.08 GA/Game. When Moor is not in the line up our record is 16W - 8D - 17L with 76GA. That equals 1.85 GA/Game. The trend is obvious and has shown itself yet again this year. Without someone that can take control and lead the backline we need to score 3 goals in order to win

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Really? I think he’s been under crucified. 😂 Jozy and Bradley take all the flack.
    Only because they still play in the US and came to “lol MLS” when they could have played in Europe. The fact that fans of a Canadian team don’t want him based on one match and call him “Own Goal” is testament to the fact. Don’t see anyone calling Bradley “Lazy Corner Jogger Boo-dley.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    Challenge accepted. I went though all the games since Drew Moor signed in 2016. With Moor in the line up our record is 44W - 28D - 23L with 103GA. That translates into 1.08 GA/Game. When Moor is not in the line up our record is 16W - 8D - 17L with 76GA. That equals 1.85 GA/Game. The trend is obvious and has shown itself yet again this year. Without someone that can take control and lead the backline we need to score 3 goals in order to win
    Thank you for putting in the time to do this. I think we all kind of knew it, but those GA numbers are stunning.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by Blindside16

Thank you for putting in the time to do this. I think we all kind of knew it, but those GA numbers are stunning.
    Yes Blindside16, great work re-confirmed what many of us felt that he commands the back line. He is aging but numbers don't lie for most things.

Best

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    This is amazing! Thanks for doing this.

So we have gotten 160 out of 285 possible points when he's in the lineup (56%)
    and 40 out of 123 possible points when he's not in the lineup (32%)

If that's not proof of where our problems actually exist - I don't know what is.