Page 114 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1464104110111112113114115116117118 LastLast
Results 3,391 to 3,420 of 3511
  1. #3391
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    West End
    Posts
    3,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    I'm aware of the intentions, just concerning in my mind how little time he's gotten as a project. If I'm not mistaken, he was playing regularly in Venezuela, doesn't exactly help him to bench him here. Also why drop that cash on him when we needed a player to step in immediately at the time
    When he came in it was in the Venezuelan off season, he hadn't played in a few months.

    Jefferson Savarino had a similar pedigree and settling in period with RSL. I wouldnt be worrying or writing off Gallardo till at least next summer.

  2. #3392
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    716
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think tfc will have to let some higher paid vets go like morrow, moor and obviously zavaletta to help pay for the raises of Laryea, bradley on tam and benezet or endoh. They should sign a winger/striker as a dp so both endoh or benezet wont be needed.

  3. #3393
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    I think tfc will have to let some higher paid vets go like morrow, moor and obviously zavaletta to help pay for the raises of Laryea, bradley on tam and benezet or endoh. They should sign a winger/striker as a dp so both endoh or benezet wont be needed.
    The Athletic confirmed yesterday that TFC have an option on Laryea for 2020. No mention of what salary level, but I would assume it wouldn't be that much of an increase over what he earned this season.
    https://theathletic.com/1315096/2019...me-in-toronto/

  4. #3394
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    West End
    Posts
    3,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    I think tfc will have to let some higher paid vets go like morrow, moor and obviously zavaletta to help pay for the raises of Laryea, bradley on tam and benezet or endoh. They should sign a winger/striker as a dp so both endoh or benezet wont be needed.
    We are in a CBA offseason. Who knows what amount of money will be available to spend next year.

  5. #3395
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    https://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2...-for-more.html

    Good article on Fraser. He wants more minutes.

    Frankly I think he should have a near full-time starting role next year. He's a legit player and we're fools if we don't give him a chance and he leaves for a bigger role elsewhere.

  6. #3396
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    https://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2...-for-more.html

    Good article on Fraser. He wants more minutes.

    Frankly I think he should have a near full-time starting role next year. He's a legit player and we're fools if we don't give him a chance and he leaves for a bigger role elsewhere.
    I feel like we can create minutes for him if we commit to rotating the squad a bit. There should be enough time available for Fraser, Oso, Poz, Delgado, and Bradley to play in the midfield. Chapman played 522 minutes this season for example. I'd imagine those minutes could be freed up for Fraser to play, albeit in a different role.

    If the team can get off to a decent start, particularly without the extra pressure of CCL matches, it can hopefully open up some rotation opportunities throughout the season to keep everyone fresh come playoffs.

    EDIT: Add Deleon to the players I listed. I still think there's sufficient opportunities for all.
    Last edited by noxx98; 10-23-2019 at 02:51 PM.

  7. #3397
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ossington Ave
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    When he came in it was in the Venezuelan off season, he hadn't played in a few months.

    Jefferson Savarino had a similar pedigree and settling in period with RSL. I wouldnt be worrying or writing off Gallardo till at least next summer.
    I'm not giving up on him, more thinking Vanney may

  8. #3398
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    15,024
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    With the squad we have right now, places are hard to come by. Gallardo is always on the bench - that tells me Vanney appreciates something about him.

    Its either him or Endoh right now & I don't know too many people who would make that move.

  9. #3399
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    West End
    Posts
    3,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    I'm not giving up on him, more thinking Vanney may
    Vanney and Curtis were giving it a lot of "one for the future" talk after he signed. I'd wager Vanney is being careful with him moresoo than not being impressed but we shall see.

  10. #3400
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ossington Ave
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Vanney and Curtis were giving it a lot of "one for the future" talk after he signed. I'd wager Vanney is being careful with him moresoo than not being impressed but we shall see.
    Hoping you're right on that one, like what little ive seen from Gallardo in the past

  11. #3401
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,072
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    We have a massive off-season coming up. A lot of guys are getting older, have regressed significantly and are on big contracts. I'm seriously concerned with the ability of this club to move into a new era and rebuild. Manning was never able to pull it off with RSL and the club seems to value stability to a fault. Prime examples are Vanney and Jozy.

    Vanney has put up a terrible couple of years aside from basically a run of 10 matches (CCL 2018, Playoffs 2019), but when push came to shove they basically threw all they could at new signings this summer rather than sack him and back the players they had. That screams loyalty and stability, but also that they're afraid that a replacement would be worse.

    Jozy is constantly injured and is a regular international. He has played less than 50% of his minutes in 5 years at this club. Entering the last year of his contract he was not only re-signed but given a major raise. Why? Because the club knows what they're going to get from him. In a bad season (like this): it's around 12-15 goals. In a good one: closer to 25. Those are pretty good numbers, and team goalscoring totals for the season have not been a problem. So, the easy solution is not to fuck with it. Even though on its face and looking around the league it's obvious that we can do better with our DP spot.

    My point is that the front office likes to be ambitious when they're forced to make a move (see: Pozuelo), but when it comes down to it they'd rather stick to the status quo. That's troublesome when you have an aging portion of the team taking major salary.

  12. #3402
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    905
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    We have a massive off-season coming up. A lot of guys are getting older, have regressed significantly and are on big contracts. I'm seriously concerned with the ability of this club to move into a new era and rebuild. Manning was never able to pull it off with RSL and the club seems to value stability to a fault. Prime examples are Vanney and Jozy.

    Vanney has put up a terrible couple of years aside from basically a run of 10 matches (CCL 2018, Playoffs 2019), but when push came to shove they basically threw all they could at new signings this summer rather than sack him and back the players they had. That screams loyalty and stability, but also that they're afraid that a replacement would be worse.

    Jozy is constantly injured and is a regular international. He has played less than 50% of his minutes in 5 years at this club. Entering the last year of his contract he was not only re-signed but given a major raise. Why? Because the club knows what they're going to get from him. In a bad season (like this): it's around 12-15 goals. In a good one: closer to 25. Those are pretty good numbers, and team goalscoring totals for the season have not been a problem. So, the easy solution is not to fuck with it. Even though on its face and looking around the league it's obvious that we can do better with our DP spot.

    My point is that the front office likes to be ambitious when they're forced to make a move (see: Pozuelo), but when it comes down to it they'd rather stick to the status quo. That's troublesome when you have an aging portion of the team taking major salary.

    13/18 of our best 18 squad rotation players are 30 and under and only Gonzalez has hit 30 who should have another 3-4 years left.


    Forward: Altidore, 29
    LW: Benezet, 28.
    RW: Endoh, 26, Deleon, 29, Gallardo, 23.
    CAM: Pozuelo, 28
    CM: Osorio, 27
    CDM: Delgado 24, Fraser 21.
    LB:
    LCB: Mavinga, 28.
    RCB: Gonzalez, 30.
    RB: Laryea, 24, Auro, 23
    G.K: Bono, 25.

    30> = Morrow, Moor, Ciman, Bradley, Westberg.

    but what's good thing is that those > 30 players they can mostly be transitioned to Depth players as they age, or are already depth players except Bradley who they will have to make a decision on.

    I think we should be looking at a younger LB to split time with Morrow, other then that I actually think our relatively prime aged team allows us flexibility to focus on being selective with finding the right DP at winger/forward.

    I agree on Jozy... I would be happy to sell him and replace him with a younger more durable forward.

    We should be looking at signing a young LB and finding an elite DP Forward/winger. I'd bring back Bradley on TAM and with Delgado and Fraser as CDM's as well we should be good at that position.

    Wish list:

    Clear 2 DP spots, Sell Altidore, Bradley to TAM
    Let Zavaleta walk.
    Let Morgan walk. (sorry OG's)


    Sign a Cavalini/Larin aged striker: 23-27.
    Sign an elite DP winger/forward: Giovinco, Vela tier.
    Re-sign Bradley - (TAM starter)
    Sign a young LB to split time with Morrow.
    Re-sign Ciman - 300 k. (depth)
    Re-sign Moor - 200 k. (depth)


    Obviously this is a dream scenario... but even if we fail, Altidore for 20 games per year, Pozuelo and a new DP Winger with our middle aged core I think we should be pretty good for another 2 years while we try and develop the next batch of Gallardo, Fraser type talents. I actually feel pretty good with Ali Curtis right now

  13. #3403
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Although he's limited as a player, Morgan is needed for Canadian depth and he's pretty impactful on the locker room. I'd keep him, especially as the "cap" will be rising under the new CBA.

    As far as Zavaleta goes... I'd personally volunteer to drive him to the airport for a one way flight out of town, lol.

  14. #3404
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    668
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Although he's limited as a player, Morgan is needed for Canadian depth and he's pretty impactful on the locker room. I'd keep him, especially as the "cap" will be rising under the new CBA.

    As far as Zavaleta goes... I'd personally volunteer to drive him to the airport for a one way flight out of town, lol.
    I agree with keeping Morgan. He's useful for the Canadian Championship quota, especially next season with having to play the extra game against the CPL teams, it'll be a way to give guys like Osorio, Laryea, Fraser days off (especially if the latter two become regular starters next year)

  15. #3405
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    716
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    13/18 of our best 18 squad rotation players are 30 and under and only Gonzalez has hit 30 who should have another 3-4 years left.


    Forward: Altidore, 29
    LW: Benezet, 28.
    RW: Endoh, 26, Deleon, 29, Gallardo, 23.
    CAM: Pozuelo, 28
    CM: Osorio, 27
    CDM: Delgado 24, Fraser 21.
    LB:
    LCB: Mavinga, 28.
    RCB: Gonzalez, 30.
    RB: Laryea, 24, Auro, 23
    G.K: Bono, 25.

    30> = Morrow, Moor, Ciman, Bradley, Westberg.

    but what's good thing is that those > 30 players they can mostly be transitioned to Depth players as they age, or are already depth players except Bradley who they will have to make a decision on.

    I think we should be looking at a younger LB to split time with Morrow, other then that I actually think our relatively prime aged team allows us flexibility to focus on being selective with finding the right DP at winger/forward.

    I agree on Jozy... I would be happy to sell him and replace him with a younger more durable forward.

    We should be looking at signing a young LB and finding an elite DP Forward/winger. I'd bring back Bradley on TAM and with Delgado and Fraser as CDM's as well we should be good at that position.

    Wish list:

    Clear 2 DP spots, Sell Altidore, Bradley to TAM
    Let Zavaleta walk.
    Let Morgan walk. (sorry OG's)


    Sign a Cavalini/Larin aged striker: 23-27.
    Sign an elite DP winger/forward: Giovinco, Vela tier.
    Re-sign Bradley - (TAM starter)
    Sign a young LB to split time with Morrow.
    Re-sign Ciman - 300 k. (depth)
    Re-sign Moor - 200 k. (depth)


    Obviously this is a dream scenario... but even if we fail, Altidore for 20 games per year, Pozuelo and a new DP Winger with our middle aged core I think we should be pretty good for another 2 years while we try and develop the next batch of Gallardo, Fraser type talents. I actually feel pretty good with Ali Curtis right now
    Moor isnt worth 200k at this point. Invest the 200k in a young cb. Ciman signed a two year deal i believe so he will be back. I would let morrow go and bring in a young left back. Play auro at lb and laryea at rb or move Laryea to right wing.

    We def need to sign a winger/striker DP. A guy like divock origi would be perfect. Not likely as he just signed a new deal. Larin on a tam deal would be great.

  16. #3406
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    11,192
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It’s going to be tough to keep some of these guys happy as a function of playing time as much (or more so) than money.

    I would try not to upset the apple cart too much. This group is still learning how to play together and the ceiling might be even better than what we’ve seen late this season

  17. #3407
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    668
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    We need to plan around Bradley being a DP next year. I'm assuming we win the MLS Cup and he gets his option automatically. Always optimistic
    Last edited by rydermike; 10-24-2019 at 03:06 PM.

  18. #3408
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ajax (Top O'114 on gameday)
    Posts
    2,737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    I agree with keeping Morgan. He's useful for the Canadian Championship quota, especially next season with having to play the extra game against the CPL teams, it'll be a way to give guys like Osorio, Laryea, Fraser days off (especially if the latter two become regular starters next year)
    This is a good point. If we lose Canadians in our roster what happens next year with the Canadian Championship and one of the few guys we have left get injured around that time. We need 3 to start. Do they have the option of bringing in a TFC II guy in for a game or two to start to make the quota in that case? I am sure it is something they have to consider with the roster decisions.

  19. #3409
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    This is a good point. If we lose Canadians in our roster what happens next year with the Canadian Championship and one of the few guys we have left get injured around that time. We need 3 to start. Do they have the option of bringing in a TFC II guy in for a game or two to start to make the quota in that case? I am sure it is something they have to consider with the roster decisions.
    Hopefully guys like Okello and Dunn are deemed ready to play in the Canadian Championship next season. We also have Shaff. Hopefully Ayo decides to make the switch to Canada at some point as well, but that's not something that should be expected for another few seasons.

  20. #3410
    RPB 2019 Banners/Membership Team
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    1,046
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Moor isnt worth 200k at this point. Invest the 200k in a young cb.
    For what it's worth, I thought it odd that Moor came on during the last home game. Maybe that was what it was, Moor's last home game at BMO. Maybe he's retiring ... just a thought.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

  21. #3411
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    277
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fergiejr View Post
    For what it's worth, I thought it odd that Moor came on during the last home game. Maybe that was what it was, Moor's last home game at BMO. Maybe he's retiring ... just a thought.
    I think it is very likely.

  22. #3412
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I thought the very same thing....

    Quote Originally Posted by fergiejr View Post
    For what it's worth, I thought it odd that Moor came on during the last home game. Maybe that was what it was, Moor's last home game at BMO. Maybe he's retiring ... just a thought.

  23. #3413
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    668
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fergiejr View Post
    For what it's worth, I thought it odd that Moor came on during the last home game. Maybe that was what it was, Moor's last home game at BMO. Maybe he's retiring ... just a thought.
    Interesting thought. I thought it was more of Vanney trying to cement the win, but what you said makes sense. I could also see him hang them up, just because he's now 4th on the depth chart and with Vanney moving to the Back 4, 4th on the depth chart makes him the sub's sub, not even the main sub, behind Gonzalez-Mavinga-Ciman-Moor. I could see him maybe deciding to hang around another year if he was 3rd on the chart, but with OG coming in, his playing time has just been further limited. Takes two injuries to get him in now.

  24. #3414
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    4,396
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    , but with OG coming in, his playing time has just been further limited. Takes two injuries to get him in now.
    Which at his age and if his family likes living in Toronto, might be what he wants for another year. It's either that or retirement. Depends on what he wants to do. As a 4th CB I think he is good at the right price and that price should be around what Hernandez's was, not what Zavaleta's is.

  25. #3415
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    4,621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Which at his age and if his family likes living in Toronto, might be what he wants for another year. It's either that or retirement. Depends on what he wants to do. As a 4th CB I think he is good at the right price and that price should be around what Hernandez's was, not what Zavaleta's is.
    I can see him sticking around at the academy.

  26. #3416
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    905
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This seems to be a consensus... (50+% agree)

    1) Replace Jozy Altidore with a younger more durable striker on TAM or DP, if not keep him for the 20 games you will get from him. I see most people agreeing it would be ideal to replace him, and if we can someone younger and more durable that can score 12-15 goals or more why wouldn't we?
    2) Sign a DP Winger/forward, obviously as talented as possible. If we hit a home run with a Vela/Willian level winger awesome, if not just get someone good.
    3) Sign Bradley to TAM
    4) Sign a young LB. Use Zavelta and or Drew Moor money to do it.


    The rest are minor moves for depth, filling out the roster.

  27. #3417
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    15,024
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Please don't suggest consensus based on opinions on a forum. I for one gave up responding to the "Jozy needs to be let go" posts back in March - its just not worth my time.

  28. #3418
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    53
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    This is a good point. If we lose Canadians in our roster what happens next year with the Canadian Championship and one of the few guys we have left get injured around that time. We need 3 to start. Do they have the option of bringing in a TFC II guy in for a game or two to start to make the quota in that case? I am sure it is something they have to consider with the roster decisions.
    There are loads of Canadians on the roster and with TFC 2. Between Osorio, Lareya, Fraser, Shaffleburg, Chapman(?), Dunn, Telfer(?), Perruzza, and other potential CPL signings (they HAVE to have been scouting for roster filler) I'm not too worried about CanCon.

  29. #3419
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    905
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Please don't suggest consensus based on opinions on a forum. I for one gave up responding to the "Jozy needs to be let go" posts back in March - its just not worth my time.
    I'm just referring to the general feedback from this thread, I could be wrong but I think most people want 1) Bradley back (on TAM if possible) 2) to sign a younger LB (obviously a huge position need as Morrow gets older) 3) to utilize our DP spot on a winger/forward. The 4th, moving Altidore and bringing in someone younger, there seems to be more divide here but i think it's getting close to the fact most people agreeing with that. I know Altidore is good in big games, can score 10+ goals and is a nice fit overall but would you really object to bringing in someone better, younger and cheaper then Altidore that can play 30+ games (If that scenario presented it self)?

  30. #3420
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    668
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    There are loads of Canadians on the roster and with TFC 2. Between Osorio, Lareya, Fraser, Shaffleburg, Chapman(?), Dunn, Telfer(?), Perruzza, and other potential CPL signings (they HAVE to have been scouting for roster filler) I'm not too worried about CanCon.
    One thing mentioned was using the Canadian Champ to not play oso, Laryea, or Fraser, assuming the 3 are Mls Starters. Morgan would provide a veteran presence instead of 3 young guys. Telfer now represents Trinidad internationally, so he probably doesn't count anymore

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •