Page 86 of 118 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,580 of 3511
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Maybe using Janson on the right is a waste of TAM. Right wing is an easier position to fill. Shaffleberg on the left and Gallardo on the right leaves them with more TAM to spend.

This really reflects well on Shaffleberg, it's pretty rare for a rookie to change plans for acquiring a star player based on his quality of play.
    The thing about Janson is that you can still throw him up top.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blink reaction: like it. Venezuela feels smart. There must be a lot of good players that want out.

My only concern is our lack of infrastructure for a young South American (mitigated in part by the fact Gallardo is married).
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

My only concern is our lack of infrastructure for a young South American (mitigated in part by the fact Gallardo is married).
    This is true, but I'd expect TFC is finally joining the movement and will be investing more heavily into Latin America. For now, at least he has Omar and Poz (any maybe Auro?) to speak with.

I wonder if this makes DeLeon expendable. That's now Gallardo, Laryea, Endoh (sort of), and DeLeon who could play on the right, but only Shaffelburg for the left. Gallardo can perhaps play on either side, but Curtis' comments would suggest he's been brought in to start on the right. I guess Endoh can go back down, but DeLeon's 160K salary could maybe be better used elsewhere.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    This is true, but I'd expect TFC is finally joining the movement and will be investing more heavily into Latin America. For now, at least he has Omar and Poz (any maybe Auro?) to speak with.

I wonder if this makes DeLeon expendable. That's now Gallardo, Laryea, Endoh (sort of), and DeLeon who could play on the right, but only Shaffelburg for the left. Gallardo can perhaps play on either side, but Curtis' comments would suggest he's been brought in to start on the right. I guess Endoh can go back down, but DeLeon's 160K salary could maybe be better used elsewhere.
    Jozy, Oso, Delgado speaks Spanish. I suspect Bradley speaks at least passable Spanish too
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as language, Omar, Pozuelo, Osorio, Delgado, and Altidore all speak Spanish. Not sure if anyone else does, but I'm not too worried about a language barrier, it's more about him personally and if he's a guy that's comfortable being out of his element. Hopefully we did our due diligence on that after Aketxe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the big difference between Aketxe and Gallardo is that the former came from somewhere where he was living confortably whereas I can't imagine the same can be same about the latter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney said in the press conference today that he sees Nick playing more up the middle now. Deleon can be TFCs James Milner, you can play him at LB RB MF the wing if needed. Hes a good player to have coming off the bench.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Jozy, Oso, Delgado speaks Spanish. I suspect Bradley speaks at least passable Spanish too
    Being able to speak Italian pretty much means you can speak Spanish.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Vanney said in the press conference today that he sees Nick playing more up the middle now. Deleon can be TFCs James Milner, you can play him at LB RB MF the wing if needed. Hes a good player to have coming off the bench.
    I was going to say the same thing. With some reps he'd probably be a better defensive FB than Auro or Laryea.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Blink reaction: like it. Venezuela feels smart. There must be a lot of good players that want out.

Not too worried about this.

Guy did a 14 minute presser today - the translator is a part of the CONCACAF team - said all the right things so likely prepped for it. Unlikely he ever had to do something like that before. Guarded professional would be what I would call it.

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/0...?autoplay=true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get rid of Deleon? That is a horrible suggestion. He's been consistent since he arrived. You have Zavaleta, Boyd, Bono and Delgado that should be moved out way before you would even consider Deleon. SMH

Still missing a Giovinco and Cheyrou replacement piece, but were almost there to a squad that could compete with Mexican teams if we can successfully find those two with what we got and if this Venezuelan works out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Deleon won’t be going. It might be Marky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    He looks quick, but the defending and his fellow attackers misses were terrible! He may struggle to start with against better defenders, but at least we have some players who can put those chances away!
    This is one aspect I'm a bit worried about.
    Venezuela's footy top division is by far the weakest in South America (of course not countinting the minions of Guyana, Suriname and French Guyana).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so will the formation be something like this (2nd line, representing team B)?

Westberg
    Bono

Auro – Gonzalez – Mavinga – Morrow
    Lareya – Zavaleta – Moor - Ciman

Osorio – Pozuello - Bradley
    DeLeon – Frasier - Delgado

Gallardo – Altidore – Schaffelburg
    Akinole- Hamilton - Boyd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luanda View Post
    so will the formation be something like this (2nd line, representing team B)?

Westberg
    Bono

Auro – Gonzalez – Mavinga – Morrow
    Lareya – Zavaleta – Moor - Ciman

Osorio – Pozuello - Bradley
    DeLeon – Frasier - Delgado

Gallardo – Altidore – Schaffelburg
    Akinole- Hamilton - Boyd
    Depth charts dont work in soccer. Boyd at the wing? Lol no. Ciman at lb? Hello Morgan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Deleon won’t be going. It might be Marky.
    I think you might be correct on this. Vanney specifically mentioned utilizing DeLeon down the middle. Ali Curtis mentioned they might do one more transaction in this window and then said they might look internally in the league for someone. This would mean a trade and for me the most lilely candidate for a trade is Marky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    This is one aspect I'm a bit worried about.
    Venezuela's footy top division is by far the weakest in South America (of course not countinting the minions of Guyana, Suriname and French Guyana).
    Awful defending and poor finishing? Sounds a lot like TFC lately. He should have no issue fitting in.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has Omar, Poz, Osorio, Delgado and Jozy who all speak Spansih and possibly Auro/Zav too. He's fine.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Omar and Erickson said all the right things in their interviews. Sound hungry and positive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marky, Osorio, Jozy are fluent and MB speaks enough spanish
    auro speaks Portuguese (him and osorio communicate simply based on that alot of words are similar)

I dont see why language should be an issue though. Portugal sends players all over and language never seems to be an issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I think you might be correct on this. Vanney specifically mentioned utilizing DeLeon down the middle. Ali Curtis mentioned they might do one more transaction in this window and then said they might look internally in the league for someone. This would mean a trade and for me the most lilely candidate for a trade is Marky.
    then why wait, cant trades happen at any time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Trades can happen any time during the window but they have to find a team that values Marky (or anyone other player we find expendable) more than the player being sent in return. And of course we have to value the player coming in higher than who we're giving up to make the trade worthwhile. Sounds easier than I expect it is.

For me Marky or Zav would be a good trade. Marky is young and has so much potential but he's stagnated here. A trade might be what he needs to progress his career. I could see other teams seeing the value in acquiring him. As for Zav, I doubt he'll be traded because of his connections and his contract. It's a bit too healthy for his value. He's a good back up to have on the bench but not at his salary.

And for the love of God please find a way to drop Boyd. It just makes me angry every time I see him enter the field. All hope just evaporates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Because you’d first need someone interested in the trade, get the right value, etc. Thinking the goal is actually located on an airstrip at Billy Bishop isn’t really a good reason to trade him when he offers other things and provides some versatility.

Boyd makes just about the same salary as Delgado, but if Vanney intends to play with wingers we don’t need 3 backup strikers. Bono going would also be a more impactful trade as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marks and Zavs for Joao Plata?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trades can happen any time during the window but they have to find a team that values Marky (or anyone other player we find expendable) more than the player being sent in return. And of course we have to value the player coming in higher than who we're giving up to make the trade worthwhile. Sounds easier than I expect it is.

For me Marky or Zav would be a good trade. Marky is young and has so much potential but he's stagnated here. A trade might be what he needs to progress his career. I could see other teams seeing the value in acquiring him. As for Zav, I doubt he'll be traded because of his connections and his contract. It's a bit too healthy for his value. He's a good back up to have on the bench but not at his salary.

And for the love of God please find a way to drop Boyd. It just makes me angry every time I see him enter the field. All hope just evaporates.
    Hard to disagree with any of this.

There must be another “Delgado” somewhere in the league who has potential but just needs new scenery (maybe an attack minded LB to upgrade Morgan?)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bono has value and I would be looking into that if I were Curtis. We need some addition by subtraction and you may have to package one of Delgado or Bono with Zavaleta to get a small lump of GAM/TAM. You won't get value but you will free up cap space and roster spots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Bono has value and I would be looking into that if I were Curtis. We need some addition by subtraction and you may have to package one of Delgado or Bono with Zavaleta to get a small lump of GAM/TAM. You won't get value but you will free up cap space and roster spots.
    I think there’s some need here to move on from the 2017 group.

Certainly that doesn’t mean getting rid of everyone from 2017 indiscriminately but it’s time to turn the page a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Boyd aside, getting rid of Bono should be a top priority for the FO especially with Westberg on next to nothing.

I’m all for moving Nephew given his salary and ineptitude, but he’s a tough move with Vanney here and the fact that the quality of MLS CBs, especially backups, tends to be incredibly bad.

That said, the defense probably needs to be overhauled if the complaints are just consistently about how poor it is — we have Moor, who should probably retire, but Ciman, OG, and Mavinga are also on pretty significant salaries.

Other than the mess of a season, if 4-3-3 is what they intend to play moving forward, you also need depth on the wings, which requires a significant rebalancing of the squad just in general.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curtis said the below to Davidson on Monday. If they are looking at trades i'd guess some players leaving would have to be a part of that as i'd imagine they won't want to give up too much GAM/TAM and will need to make the cap/roster spots work.

"And then we're exploring some options within the league, in terms of acquiring a player or two."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Boyd aside, getting rid of Bono should be a top priority for the FO especially with Westberg on next to nothing.

I’m all for moving Nephew given his salary and ineptitude, but he’s a tough move with Vanney here and the fact that the quality of MLS CBs, especially backups, tends to be incredibly bad.

That said, the defense probably needs to be overhauled if the complaints are just consistently about how poor it is — we have Moor, who should probably retire, but Ciman, OG, and Mavinga are also on pretty significant salaries.

Other than the mess of a season, if 4-3-3 is what they intend to play moving forward, you also need depth on the wings, which requires a significant rebalancing of the squad just in general.
    I think they should just make Layrea a RW or for next season Telfer can backup Gallardo.