Page 24 of 118 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a "former TFC players" thread for Seba & similar news, direct link is here:
    http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...-thread/page33

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Menendez! Menendez! Menendez!!!

Sign him up! Love the idea of him playing with Poz!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Maybe they lowered the price on Menendez, he has only played in 3 games scoring one goal so far this season. Last game vs Riverplate his team subbed in another LW ahead of him so he is kind of buried on the depth chart. If they can get Menendez and maybe Andy Najar the team would have decent depth.
    I could see Poz bringing out the best in Menendez. Speedy little winger who can dribble. Would do well.

Perhaps the price did drop so this looks realistic especially since Curtis just went to South America.

Also the radio hosts who put out these tweets are the same ones who brought them to life and then killed the rumours with him staying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    its not his stopping ability, its his distribution and command of the box ( i expect to see bodies fly)
    Those were criticisms of Frei when we was with us too. Shaky in the box and distributions was left wanting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdogg View Post
    Those were criticisms of Frei when we was with us too. Shaky in the box and distributions was left wanting.

When do goal keepers usually come into their prime?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luanda View Post
    When do goal keepers usually come into their prime?
    Typically when they leave Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's my concern with cutting Bono loose. He's only 25 in a couple of weeks.

Nick Rimando was 26 before he won his starting job in Salt Lake after 5 years around DCU.

Robles was 28 when he got to NYRB.

Bill Hamid is only 28.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    That's my concern with cutting Bono loose. He's only 25 in a couple of weeks.

Nick Rimando was 26 before he won his starting job in Salt Lake after 5 years around DCU.

Robles was 28 when he got to NYRB.

Bill Hamid is only 28.

Exactomundo!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least he's a little better then "drop kick it out of bounds" twice a game Joe Bendik

Bono was so good his first year! It's surprising that he has not improved even a little bit and to see him regress so much. His distribution has not improved.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    At least he's a little better then "drop kick it out of bounds" twice a game Joe Bendik

Bono was so good his first year! It's surprising that he has not improved even a little bit and to see him regress so much. His distribution has not improved.
    Upgrade GK coach?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm hoping Bono does turn it around yet but it is sort of looking like we should've sold him after winning MLS Cup when he had interest from European clubs. Hindsight is 20/20 though...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have any GKs ever really improved here? If anything Bono and Irwin both regressed after their early up swings. What people are saying about GKs hitting their prime years in the later 20's is something to think about in Bono's case. First I'd like to get a look at Westberg to see what he's got and hopefully to push Bono and maybe we really need to look at who is coaching our GKs and if our present methods are bearing fruit. Maybe we should make a hire from abroad and get someone in with a track record of improving and developing young GKs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our GK coach is still Jon Conway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Give the French backup a chance to play. Never liked Bono the bonehead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdogg View Post

Frei's distribution was quality, always was with us. His criticism was he wasn't great on crosses and he didn't control his box. Shot stopping and distribution were his strengths.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    Frei's distribution was quality, always was with us. His criticism was he wasn't great on crosses and he didn't control his box. Shot stopping and distribution were his strengths.
    As a former keeper I can tell you shot stopping is much easier then being a commander in the box and coming off your line to catch/punch the ball. The timing has to be perfect. You have a split second to decide whether you are coming off your line or not. Tough to teach as it's all mindset. Frei was like this and I believe from watching him post TFC that he has become better at it. Bottom line if the opponent senses weakness they will exploit it as they tried in Philly opening day by continuing to send balls in the 6 yard box. If you are demanding in the box and ruthless the opponent will realize this and stay away from balls near the keeper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zorsofstesab View Post
    As a former keeper I can tell you shot stopping is much easier then being a commander in the box and coming off your line to catch/punch the ball. The timing has to be perfect. You have a split second to decide whether you are coming off your line or not. Tough to teach as it's all mindset. Frei was like this and I believe from watching him post TFC that he has become better at it. Bottom line if the opponent senses weakness they will exploit it as they tried in Philly opening day by continuing to send balls in the 6 yard box. If you are demanding in the box and ruthless the opponent will realize this and stay away from balls near the keeper.
    I have never seen Bono smash through a crowd to punch a ball away. You barely even see him take knocks in the air.

He need to grow a pair and just go for it.

Frei's distributiuon was excellent, then we had the pleasure of having Cesar here. a keeper that can distribute the ball changes the dynamics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    I have never seen Bono smash through a crowd to punch a ball away. You barely even see him take knocks in the air.

He need to grow a pair and just go for it.

Frei's distributiuon was excellent, then we had the pleasure of having Cesar here. a keeper that can distribute the ball changes the dynamics

Just watching Ceasr for the little time he was here highlighted how poor Bono is with his feet. There must have been at least 4-5 instances in the NYFC game that he muffed a ball...it was so painful.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume Vanney sees everything we see, so there is a reason he is sticking with Alex. He must see things on the practice pitch that lead him to believe fighting through it is best.

I think Bono should maybe sit too, but I recognize that confidence, creating it, restoring it, is really a core function of the manager, and I will leave it to Vanney.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hasler signed by SKC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hasler signed by SKC
    happy hes in MLS, but he belongs here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hasler signed by SKC
    Well at least he's at a half decent team. but man is SKC a long way from LIE

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I assume Vanney sees everything we see, so there is a reason he is sticking with Alex. He must see things on the practice pitch that lead him to believe fighting through it is best.

I think Bono should maybe sit too, but I recognize that confidence, creating it, restoring it, is really a core function of the manager, and I will leave it to Vanney.
    It's dicey, the coach has to know his players really well. Some players get super motivated by being benched to prove themselves, others get discouraged and lose confidence.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It's dicey, the coach has to know his players really well. Some players get super motivated by being benched to prove themselves, others get discouraged and lose confidence.
    I'd be wary of this too but for me, Westberg for V-Cup. At least the beginning of it. Give him something and let Bono know they're at least taking a look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Antonio Valencia to MLS in the Summer?

Imagine they found a way to work Bradley/Valencia as a TAM and DP. Make Valencia TAM this year and Bradley TAM next year. Sort of like Ibrahimovic and his TAM to DP deal. Then bring in Menéndez on a cheaper deal around 400 k. I don’t see a way they could get a winger like that and keep Bradley but imagine our line up

Menéndez-Altidore-Valencia
    —————-Pozuelo
    ———-Osorio-Bradley

I’d put that up against any LIGA Mx team

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pass on Valencia. We're no country for old men. He can go to Orlando where they are still doing the TFC 1.0 model.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Pass on Valencia. We're no country for old men. He can go to Orlando where they are still doing the TFC 1.0 model.
    This +1000 times!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Antonio Valencia to MLS in the Summer?

Imagine they found a way to work Bradley/Valencia as a TAM and DP. Make Valencia TAM this year and Bradley TAM next year. Sort of like Ibrahimovic and his TAM to DP deal. Then bring in Menéndez on a cheaper deal around 400 k. I don’t see a way they could get a winger like that and keep Bradley but imagine our line up

Menéndez-Altidore-Valencia
    —————-Pozuelo
    ———-Osorio-Bradley

I’d put that up against any LIGA Mx team
    Or just get Andy Najar to play right wing. It's more realistic and he's not on the wrong side of 30.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Kaka and Nani (and Dom Dwyer and Sasha Klejstan) are a hell of a lot more serious attempts than anything TFC tried in our 1.0 version. Nani has been pretty impressive so far. I wouldn’t be so quick to crap on that organization. They seem a bit snakebit to me, but they are doing a lot of things right. I bet you they will be a playoff team this year.

Re Antonio Valencia, really? You wouldn’t take him as a TAM player over some random guy who isn’t a regular on a middling team in Argentina? (Which is what this Menendez guy is, let's remember. He cannot get minutes at Independiente.)

I am not talking about selling tickets, but I am also not talking about some kind of reverse snobbery, where that fact that nobody has ever heard of a guy must make him amazing. Plus the economics of these Argentine benchwarmers are crazy - we all saw what Janson was, he was a nice incremental player, but 3M transfer fee or whatever? Cmon

I am talking about getting a couple of solid years out of good older players, like the big Turkish clubs do...

(I'd probably pick Najar over Valencia too. Question is transfer fee there.)
    Last edited by ensco; 04-03-2019 at 06:22 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”