Page 59 of 118 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,770 of 3511
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People outplay and compete others to get into positions - this is a good thing. I'm actually OK with Akinola & Hamilton outplaying Boyd to be the subs for Jozy because that's what we want - young guys making the competition harder on the vets.

Anybody back in January who thought this was going to happen would be laughed at on this board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    What I want to believe: there is a summer mega deal out there that they are waiting for. A DP level player that they will get using a Zlatan-type deal structure. It could even been Gio.

What I fear is true: They will just do Gonzalez and Jony/Janson in the summer, ie players you should not be waiting for, and it'll be too late anyway given the amount of upgrading that just happened around the league
    I tend to agree with this based off of the verbage of Curtis' remarks. To me it seems clear he's throwing out all sorts of distractions like we've scouted country A and B etc but then it all ties back to 2 players who are pretty clearly Gonzalez and Janson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

k im bored.which 2 homegrowns do you think tfc will sign,i think it will be any 2 of these 4 shaffelburg,dorsey.nelson,mohamed.they all played preseason games with the big club.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shaffelburg next season barring him regressing but he looks pretty good so far. Not sold on the rest just yet and we don't need to ruin their careers by letting them rot like we've done in the past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Former #LAGalaxy center back Omar Gonzalez is training with the club. Galaxy often allows former players to train with the club while in LA. Nothing else to this.

maybe they will bend the rules for LAG again and he will sign with them.lol
    Last edited by reggie; 05-09-2019 at 03:52 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Former #LAGalaxy center back Omar Gonzalez is training with the club. Galaxy often allows former players to train with the club while in LA. Nothing else to this.

maybe they will bend the rules for LAG again and he will sign with them.lol
    They can have him. I consider us losing out on him a blessing in disguise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    I tend to agree with this based off of the verbage of Curtis' remarks. To me it seems clear he's throwing out all sorts of distractions like we've scouted country A and B etc but then it all ties back to 2 players who are pretty clearly Gonzalez and Janson.
    If they feel omar and janson are going to help the team for years then they are worth the wait. After last season they seem worried about bringing in the wrong character. Janson we know is a good fit and im sure they have a ton of info on omar from bradley and jozy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    Or they're distractions as well and the real guys they targeted can't be gotten until the summer window and they aren't dumb enough to spout off and possibly ruin or drive up the cost of any deal. Curtis' ways are still unknown here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would be kinda disappointed if those are the guys we are waiting for.i would hope for tam this year dp next year type player,if bradley goes down to tam,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    This right here. Though people may not rate it or have even watched it Boyd did play in Bundesliga and Bundesliga 2, the latter being one of Europes best second and most competitive second divisions. People do rate him, where is he at rn? I dunno, i havent seen him play enough.
    I’m sure everyone knows about the Bundesliga and can understand that Boyd was once a promising USMNT international.

That said, he never really played in the Bundesliga except at a relegation Darmstadt side, proving very little and ending up doing just the same in the second division. This all after his injury.

Prior to it, he played at Leipzig in the second but was injured. They were promoted later, but he didn’t figure in any of that. The part of his career that made him promising was mostly in Austria and in lesser German tiers (below the second division).

So basically it was more of picking up a player who did look promising in lesser leagues, when he was younger, before a major injury, and who has never actually shown up in Bundesliga.

Boyd is a favour, a reclamation project, and if he did return to the form he had many year ago pre-injury in Austria, he could potentially be an okay player here... but Austria is probably equivalent to the Danish league.

Since coming here he hasn’t shown anything though. Not hacking it in the German second division isn’t a promising prospect for acquisition either, anymore than sleeping inn Vanney’s couch and being 6’5”.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His biggest contribution so far is a missed penalty.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    I’m sure everyone knows about the Bundesliga and can understand that Boyd was once a promising USMNT international.

That said, he never really played in the Bundesliga except at a relegation Darmstadt side, proving very little and ending up doing just the same in the second division. This all after his injury.

Prior to it, he played at Leipzig in the second but was injured. They were promoted later, but he didn’t figure in any of that. The part of his career that made him promising was mostly in Austria and in lesser German tiers (below the second division).

So basically it was more of picking up a player who did look promising in lesser leagues, when he was younger, before a major injury, and who has never actually shown up in Bundesliga.

Boyd is a favour, a reclamation project, and if he did return to the form he had many year ago pre-injury in Austria, he could potentially be an okay player here... but Austria is probably equivalent to the Danish league.

Since coming here he hasn’t shown anything though. Not hacking it in the German second division isn’t a promising prospect for acquisition either, anymore than sleeping inn Vanney’s couch and being 6’5”.

By the way id be willing to wager that a majority of people on here dont watch the Bundesliga let alone Darmstadt or the Bundesliga 2.
    Knowing about its existence and watching it regularly are two different things.
    Nothing wrong with taking a flyer on a player who is coming in to his prime age (28 as a striker) and has done well in better leagues (yes the Bundesliga 2 is by far a better league overall than MLS, Austrian League is probably comparable or better (our lower end teams are what hold us down, that and player development).

Back to the original argument, "He has shown nothing here"
    Hes played 29 minutes in 5 games here and its been decided that he has nothing to offer period.

Nothing there sounds ridiculous?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way id be willing to wager that a majority of people on here dont watch the Bundesliga let alone Darmstadt or the Bundesliga 2.
    Nothing wrong with taking a flyer on a player who is coming in to his prime age (28 as a striker) and has done well in better leagues (yes the Bundesliga 2 is by far a better league overall than MLS, Austrian League is probably comparable or better (our lower end teams are what hold us down, that and player development).

Hes played 29 minutes in 5 games here and its been decided that he has nothing to offer period.

Hear hear.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't go back and read a bunch of posts about it but this is my two cents on Boyd. I had no issues with them taking a chance on him and I just had hoped they did their homework. He now gets paid for what he is doing today though, not what he did before in whatever league before he was injured. Nobody has to watch another league regularly to know what kind of performance he is putting in at TFC so far in our league and have an opinion on it. What he is doing today is largely underwhelming based on what we have seen. The "he's played 29 minutes in 5 games" stuff that some bring up saying he hasn't had the chance to prove himself is a load of crap in my opinion. That 29 min is only the time that we got to see him play. Vanney sees him every day in training since he got here. Ever think that maybe all he deserved was 29 min in 5 games based on what the coaches see at training? If he was blowing everyone away in training, where he gets to spend many hours with the opportunity to impress, then do you really think he would only be getting minimal minutes? Of course not. And for those that think that a player can't make a great impression in 5 or 10 minutes in a game I don't buy that either. I have seen new players to the team get their first few touches and I went "whoa" because you know there is something there. Noticed that with Auro and Janson recently in their first matches. I have yet to see anything that made me go "whoa" with Boyd other than the penalty in his first match. Hopefully he proves me wrong in the end. Right now I would prefer to still have Ricketts coming off the bench. Just my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let’s start with the obvious: he appeared to be starting the season as the #2 option and immediately lost his spot with some really poor play in the CCL. Since then his limited spells on the field only suggest he can’t keep up.

You mention the minutes he’s getting now aren’t enough to show what he has to offer but I’d disagree. To justify him being on the field for any longer than he is now he has to show he can at least perform the basics. To receive and give a pass in the flow of the offence and demonstrate a first touch that’s at least slightly better than horrific. No player is going to get more minutes until those basic conditions are met and rightfully so.

The previous attachment to B1 and B2 clubs means very little. People have come here from better leagues and fallen on their face or come from worse leagues and performed far better.

All-and-all he’s rightfully being described as disappointing.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 05-10-2019 at 02:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In light of the inability of management to sign a winger and centreback, I think it's important to acknowledge that this team is generally ridiculously well managed. There's really only one piece on this team which can generally be determined to not be up to scratch, and that guy is our 4th centreback. He isn't even managements fault given he was playing well until last season. Other guys are entirely debatable (I.e. Bono, Boyd). We are in an incredible position.

(Just trying to bring a dash of positivity back into a chat which is generally negative, and yes I'm aware I'm part of that negativity)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    In light of the inability of management to sign a winger and centreback, I think it's important to acknowledge that this team is generally ridiculously well managed. There's really only one piece on this team which can generally be determined to not be up to scratch, and that guy is our 4th centreback. He isn't even managements fault given he was playing well until last season. Other guys are entirely debatable (I.e. Bono, Boyd). We are in an incredible position.

(Just trying to bring a dash of positivity back into a chat which is generally negative, and yes I'm aware I'm part of that negativity)
    Good call portu!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: talking about Boyd.
    My opinion is the same as the majorityt here: he looked utterly useless in the not many minutes he got to prove himself.
    What would do if I would be TFC's coach?

I'd put in Boyd in the next maximum 15 games for 3 occasions as a sub, for a total of maximum 90 minutes.
    If he'd show the same uselessness like until now, I'd sit him for forever for the 1st team, and ask management to send him to TFC 2, or even a lot better, to trade him as soon as possible to the weakest CPL team at the end of this season. Maybe they'll offer for him a bag of new footy balls and invite the whole TFC team and staff for a nice lunch - then I would call it a good trade.

But of course I don't know anything about footy.
    I just played 4 years in the 3rd divison of my native country (at that time was semi-pro), and I have attended about 170 live games of my home city's 1st division team (same country where I played, the 1st div at that time was about equal than what MLS is right now).
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 05-10-2019 at 05:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact is that he never demonstrated he could perform in the 2.B, only that he could in lower levels and in Austria — before a major injury that also leaves a lot of strikers seeing a sharp decline in ability.

The Austrian league is even lower on the European totem than Belgium, a country where board members (not me) criticized the FO for scouting because of the perception that it’s a lower league.

Average Austrian league player makes more than £100,000 less than the average MLS player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He had good minutes in the CCL as well and didn't look great against a supposedly less than MLS team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tito Villalba from Atl is the exact type of winger we need. I'm always impressed watching him play. Fast, strong, hard worker, technically very good, makes some mistakes but had 20 goals last year. I think he's scored at least 4 goals on us? How much did Atlanta pay for him? He's only a TAM player but a hell of a good one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Tito Villalba from Atl is the exact type of winger we need. I'm always impressed watching him play. Fast, strong, hard worker, technically very good, makes some mistakes but had 20 goals last year. I think he's scored at least 4 goals on us? How much did Atlanta pay for him? He's only a TAM player but a hell of a good one.
    $3M-ish transfer fee if I recall and he is good. I was hoping DeBoer could have been fleeced into a VDW for him deal but I forgot Bocanegra is there and he isn't an idiot. Too bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Agreed this is exactly what we need. He could play up top too as a second choice striker in the absence of the primary option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Agreed this is exactly what we need. He could play up top too as a second choice striker in the absence of the primary option.
    We used Janson like this a bit too.

I liked him, and I like the roles he could fill for us, just not convinced he was TAM level.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    We used Janson like this a bit too.

I liked him, and I like the roles he could fill for us, just not convinced he was TAM level.
    Cheap TAM level sure. Definitely not max.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Villalba is miles ahead of Janson. They are not in the same conversation. Let's not kid ourselves.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also can we finally stop the occasional posting about how shit Osorio is.

Because he is not shit in any way, shape, or form.

MLS Current Top 10 in Goals + Assists per 90 (no PKs, 600 min+)

1) VELA - 1.38
    2) POZUELO - 1.31
    3) MANOTAS - 1.03
    4) VALERI - 1.02
    5) NANI - 0.96
    6) ELIS - 0.95
    7) OSORIO - 0.87
    8) RUSSELL - 0.85
    9) NEMETH - 0.85
    10) ZLATAN - 0.78

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bring up Janson not to suggest he's close to Villalba's level but because he's the kind of player, positionally and tactically, we should be going after.

I don't get the tunnel vision we seem to have with him (or Menendez) but he's a winger that can play up top when needed, and as noted that kind of player would be an ideal addition for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Also can we finally stop the occasional posting about how shit Osorio is.

Because he is not shit in any way, shape, or form.

MLS Current Top 10 in Goals + Assists per 90 (no PKs, 600 min+)

1) VELA - 1.38
    2) POZUELO - 1.31
    3) MANOTAS - 1.03
    4) VALERI - 1.02
    5) NANI - 0.96
    6) ELIS - 0.95
    7) OSORIO - 0.87
    8) RUSSELL - 0.85
    9) NEMETH - 0.85
    10) ZLATAN - 0.78
    The same ppl that said nani is too old and washed up?
    Quaresma isnt the same workhorse as Nani, but would have been interesting if we could have gotten him as TAM

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to believe it or not. If he accepts a pay cut it is possible.