Page 25 of 118 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Valencia is done. Wouldn't go near him. He hasn't played as a winger for years at club level.

Plus, his crosses could never get past the first man in the prem. That isnt going to suddenly change in MLS.
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 04-03-2019 at 06:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a year William from Chelsea would be a nice DP signing. His contract ends next summer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Valencia is done. Wouldn't go near him. He hasn't played as a winger for years at club level.

Plus, his crosses could never get past the first man in the prem. That isnt going to suddenly change in MLS.
    I was thinking of him as an RB. Solely as the vdW replacement. Could be a bigger need than winger. Results have masked our problems at the back.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by parma View Post
    Just watching Ceasr for the little time he was here highlighted how poor Bono is with his feet. There must have been at least 4-5 instances in the NYFC game that he muffed a ball...it was so painful.....

Didn’t Cesar let 7 goals in a World Cup Game... It is always easy to find someone’s faults.

I think the big concern is that we have seen Bono’s potential. How do we get him back there, is it challenging him with competition or is it bringing him a mentor? He is still young. But we need to make sure we have someone that can play in case he can’t and why i agree with giving Westberg some playing time.

Football is funny, we lost some games last year where clearly the Gods were against us.... Does the NYCFC shot hit the post and big Bono save right after happen in 2018? Probably not and with our confidence shattered, we end up losing (last year).

But this is 2019 and we’re back.... Now where is our newest signing.

COYRs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a utd fan and I wouldn't touch Valencia with a 40ft barge pole. Great player and servant over the yrs to Utd as a winger and then in recent seasons as full back but he's done. Once he lost his pace he found a new position at right back, but now he doesn't have the legs anymore to get up and down the flank. He doesn't trust himself to take on defenders so he checks back and plays easy lay off. When he does cross, more often than not hits shins of first defender, although even in his prime his crossing was hit or miss. If it is just a pure defensive right back you need, maybe, but you need more these days from that position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    Apparently LA Galaxy are closing in on signing Giancarlo Gonzalez from Bologna but would need to make big moves up the allocation list in order to make the deal. This has been reported for some time now and it could very well have positive implications for us.
    Here is a snippet from the article I read from MLS on Twitter

According to multiple sources, the Galaxy have tried to do just that in recent weeks. The sources said that LA have engaged in trade discussions with multiple clubs about moving up towards the top of the allocation ranking list. Toronto FC currently hold the No. 1 position in the allocation ranking order. Orlando City are second; the Colorado Rapids are third.
    Galaxy just acquired an international spot from NYCFC. Maybe we will see some action in the next couple old days that could involve us?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Galaxy just acquired an international spot from NYCFC. Maybe we will see some action in the next couple old days that could involve us?
    If TFC are serious about bringing in TAM wingers, I doubt they risk it by trading down and potentially losing a valuable asset in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    If TFC are serious about bringing in TAM wingers, I doubt they risk it by trading down and potentially losing a valuable asset in the future.
    But if none of the players we are looking at are in the allocation list then perhaps trading for TAM is a smart move that could help us bring in those TAM players

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

But if none of the players we are looking at are in the allocation list then perhaps trading for TAM is a smart move that could help us bring in those TAM players
    This is true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Markel Susaeta is rumored to be coming to MLS. He's a free agent this summer, he's probably too good to be a tam player, I wonder if they could bring him in on a tam deal then move him to a DP contract next year with Bradley going down to a tam contact.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have to split any money we get for that spot, presumably even phony money, with Cinci though. Just take Lletget or Alessandrini and be done with it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Is there some reason Alessandrini cannot be bought down? I thought that was how LA would deal with their 4 DP problem... the rules around this are baffling.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^Is there some reason Alessandrini cannot be bought down? I thought that was how LA would deal with their 4 DP problem... the rules around this are baffling.
    He makes too much money to be bought down with tam money.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He seems to be just over the limit to buy down but everything with these MLS rules is ridiculous. Who knows? Maybe if we wait until the deadline in May, the 3 months he put in in LA will have dropped his remaining salary below that level. It's possible since nobody knows how any of it works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    We have to split any money we get for that spot, presumably even phony money, with Cinci though.
    Cheat the system

Trade the top spot to LAG for $2 in GAM/TAM. Give Cinncinati $1.
    Then a day later trade a 4th round pick for $499,998 in GAM/TAM

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kaka and Nani (and Dom Dwyer and Sasha Klejstan) are a hell of a lot more serious attempts than anything TFC tried in our 1.0 version. Nani has been pretty impressive so far. I wouldn’t be so quick to crap on that organization. They seem a bit snakebit to me, but they are doing a lot of things right. I bet you they will be a playoff team this year.

Re Antonio Valencia, really? You wouldn’t take him as a TAM player over some random guy who isn’t a regular on a middling team in Argentina? (Which is what this Menendez guy is, let's remember. He cannot get minutes at Independiente.)

I am not talking about selling tickets, but I am also not talking about some kind of reverse snobbery, where that fact that nobody has ever heard of a guy must make him amazing. Plus the economics of these Argentine benchwarmers are crazy - we all saw what Janson was, he was a nice incremental player, but 3M transfer fee or whatever? Cmon

I am talking about getting a couple of solid years out of good older players, like the big Turkish clubs do...

(I'd probably pick Najar over Valencia too. Question is transfer fee there.)

In fairness we don't know why he's riding the pine or was on loan. Having read a ton of tweets the first time Menendez was rumored with us a lot of their supporters were pissed he was leaving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    In fairness we don't know why he's riding the pine or was on loan. Having read a ton of tweets the first time Menendez was rumored with us a lot of their supporters were pissed he was leaving.
    I read Menendez has played well when given the chance, maybe the coach doesn’t want to play him knowing hes leaving? Jansen was good for us last season. If we could have got Jansen on a TAM deal that would have been amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Cheat the system

Trade the top spot to LAG for $2 in GAM/TAM. Give Cinncinati $1.
    Then a day later trade a 4th round pick for $499,998 in GAM/TAM
    This is exactly why MLS reserves the right to approve (and disapprove) deals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure why taking Bradley's salary down to a TAM is even being mentioned or believable. That isn't going to happen. Be realistic...he's a DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post
    Not sure why taking Bradley's salary down to a TAM is even being mentioned or believable. That isn't going to happen. Be realistic...he's a DP.
    I wonder what Bradley would get and what is he worth? Do we have to overpay still? He’s probably worth around 2.0 million. Is this fair?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think someone from the front office mentioned it recently that's why we're discussing it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He won't be for much longer. Getting older but also very dedicated and ingrained with the team. Strikes me as the type of dude that would take a cut in order to keep the team a top team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He won't. He will be going elsewhere.. time to bring a different dp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dreaddogs View Post
    Why do you say that so confidently? Do you know something the rest of us don't? Because every single thing he's said and done has pointed to him wanting to stay.

Unless he wants to play for his father in LA ...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not convinced of this.
    As of rn I think he will stay for a minute and eventually go to coach/fo sort of position, haven't seen anything from him to suggest otherwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I'm not convinced he's going anywhere, to be honest. Bradley has always been a top dude and about the club, a real leader - and I don't even see him going to play for his dad in LA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's seemed likely to me for a while that Bradley would be offered another long term contract at max TAM money freeing up the DP spot. I think TFC is and should be committed to doing what it takes to lock MB up long term as both a player and then as a coach/front office asset. If they gave him 6 years at max Tam he could transition to management when they mutually felt his time on the field was done. I also think Michaels's commitment to family and the city work in favour of something like that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't Bradley do this once before - take a pay cut to make sure we could bring in Altidore? Or am I making things up?

I'm fully in the camp that if there's one person on this team who would take a personal hit to make the team better it would be Bradley. Obviously his next contract is going to be a lot smaller than what he's currently getting - I don't think $1.5 is completely out of the question and that puts him in TAM territory.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Bradley's situation is impossible to read.

I would guess he will be offered an extension at the max TAM number, but the real question is what he wants to do.

If I were to guess... he probably wants to get settled in a big US city and start thinking about getting some post-career roots in the US. (The USMNT hate will fade.)

No big opinion. I think he likes it here, maybe he is willing to stay a while, or even emigrate. But it's pretty likely, based on what the vast majority of TO athletes have done, that he'll ultimately settle in an Atlanta, Chicago, LA...

Of course he can always do that after 2-3 more years at TFC, but I think there'll be lots of interest in him at the TAM number. He'll be on a free. Committing $5M to him for 3 years is not that big a deal. I expect multiple clubs to be interested. Especially ones that maybe need a culture restart (San Jose? Orlando? The new Chicago City post Schweinie?)

(I often think this issue is looked at through rose coloured glasses by Torontonians. This is a nice place and all, but it's not that easy to get people who didn't grow up here, and have options, to actually choose this as their long-term home. Weather and taxes are a big problem, and the culture and school curriculum can seem weird to Americans)
    Last edited by ensco; 04-04-2019 at 08:26 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben - D.O.W. View Post
    Didn't Bradley do this once before - take a pay cut to make sure we could bring in Altidore? Or am I making things up?

Yes he did.