Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    But he should be biased, that's what your home commentator is supposed to be, in my opinion anyway
    Having suffered watching many a homer biased MLS commentator - no thanks. SJE, LAG, Houston, Seattle, NYC & NER - all biased & not very good. BTW, most people in the US thinks TSN commentators are biased towards the Canadian teams.

There is a role for biased with a bite against your home team if they are crap - that's the Loons, Orlando, CBus, Atlanta, NYRB & Colorado.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    He calls it as he sees it.
    Yes, through the dank vision of a 1980’s SPL defender. Every good attacking play is a result of someone’s mistake and every studs up tackle is just getting stuck in. Bit tiring.

Someone with actual insight would be an improvement. These guys rinse and repeat the same things over and over.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Yes, through the dank vision of a 1980’s SPL defender. Every good attacking play is a result of someone’s mistake and every studs up tackle is just getting stuck in. Bit tiring.

Someone with actual insight would be an improvement. These guys rinse and repeat the same things over and over.
    They call the game in the same mediocre fashion most modern NHL games are done. Foster Hewitt, and many EPL broadcasters understood, that the avid viewer wants the suspense, the excitement, the imagination , to be felt by the viewer. Instead of all the babble, a simple....Keon to Armstrong, back to Keon, to Ellis....score!....works because the viewer follows the play with his eyes and ears....we don’t need....Keon goes down low with the puck and is tripped, now he gets up, and passes to Armstrong who is in front of the net, and he backhands it to Keon, and with his stick passes the puck to Ellis who is driving towards net on the right side and he shoots, and scores!
    The latter method adopted the radio format because the assumption was the listener needed a more visual account...yet this crap now permeates TV broadcasts, snd it sucks.
    The TSN people are notorious for this, and must have instructed their soccer buddies.
    A little commentary during quiet moments is good, but should never be part of the play by play

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^It depends. I do think broadcasting is a lost art. But they weren't all minimalists.

Danny Gallivan, the guy I loved most of all, he of the Savardian spinorama (suspect 90% of people here have no clue what I am talking about).... Gallivan talked nonstop, but he was very, very good.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The comparison now is to Jon Champion who is doing MLS on ESPN. He did the ATL DCU game - just doesn't talk that much, gives out player names with passes - simple nouns - when he does extemporate, its short & useful. TSN is all about the verbs & phrases.

I feel TSN has their page of talking points they are going to get through because that's what is on their page of tallking points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^It depends. I do think broadcasting is a lost art. But they weren't all minimalists.

Danny Gallivan, the guy I loved most of all, he of the Savardian spinorama (suspect 90% of people here have no clue what I am talking about).... Gallivan talked nonstop, but he was very, very good.
    Best ever Danny Gallivan performances:

1. Montreal Canadiens vs. Central Red Army (CSKA Moscow)
    2. Raccoons vs. Bears

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    They call the game in the same mediocre fashion most modern NHL games are done. Foster Hewitt, and many EPL broadcasters understood, that the avid viewer wants the suspense, the excitement, the imagination , to be felt by the viewer. Instead of all the babble, a simple....Keon to Armstrong, back to Keon, to Ellis....score!....works because the viewer follows the play with his eyes and ears....we don’t need....Keon goes down low with the puck and is tripped, now he gets up, and passes to Armstrong who is in front of the net, and he backhands it to Keon, and with his stick passes the puck to Ellis who is driving towards net on the right side and he shoots, and scores!
    The latter method adopted the radio format because the assumption was the listener needed a more visual account...yet this crap now permeates TV broadcasts, snd it sucks.
    The TSN people are notorious for this, and must have instructed their soccer buddies.
    A little commentary during quiet moments is good, but should never be part of the play by play
    Perhaps you prefer this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOKhpg1PVwM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For sure. I think he does the casual/new fans a massive disservice by not recognizing how terrible some tackles etc. are. Bad education to provide those learning the game. I still can't forgive him for writing off the hit that ruptured Beita's spleen as barely a yellow when the guy charged half way across the field and rugby tackled him. Or when he chided Marky for playing up a studs up tackle that left 4 inch scrape lines up his calf muscle.

but hey, I'm not a hard nosed CB that played basic football at a high level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Mike_S;1891965]Best ever Danny Gallivan performances:

that was the New Years eve 3-3 game that Montreal absolutely dominated? What a performance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha, this takes the cake of things I thought I would never read posted here, 'savardian spinorama', lol ,I am one of the old, err, I mean, one with a clue as to what you are saying. I laughed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Frankly, it is better

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The comparison now is to Jon Champion who is doing MLS on ESPN. He did the ATL DCU game - just doesn't talk that much, gives out player names with passes - simple nouns - when he does extemporate, its short & useful. TSN is all about the verbs & phrases.

I feel TSN has their page of talking points they are going to get through because that's what is on their page of tallking points.
    It would be nice if they took a breath once in a while. Watching the World Cup games, there were times where nothing was said for 5 to 10 seconds. That would send Caldwell into a frenzy. The two of them never stop talking.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=backbeat;1891996]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_S View Post
    Best ever Danny Gallivan performances:

that was the New Years eve 3-3 game that Montreal absolutely dominated? What a performance.
    I am older than most of you, and remember that game well, for two reasons. One, it was almost as exciting as the 72 series, and the girl that I liked went dancing with another dude.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is turning into one of the all time rabbit holes.

I forgot got what you did during bye weeks when you get bounced from CCL.

Can we spend a few posts discussing Mel Allen's This Week in Baseball? Listening to that was heaven.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is turning into one of the all time rabbit holes.

I forgot got what you did during bye weeks when you get bounced from CCL.

Can we spend a few posts discussing Mel Allen's This Week in Baseball? Listening to that was heaven.
    I don't know who Mel Allen is, but I love listening to baseball.
    Now there are some good announcers in that sport.
    Some of my favourite memories are being put to sleep while listening to a Jays game in my dad's car.

Has anyone mentioned that TSN has some of the shittiest soccer announcers on the planet?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    On the pitch, I’m happy when Osorio plays well. When he doesn’t, I’d love to give him a pass.

That said, he has transformed into a bit of a douche off the pitch, so I’m no longer inclined to give him a pass for poor performances. If this season is as bad as his PK, I wouldn’t be sad if they shipped him off to the CPL. Plenty of midfielders to be had for TAM money.

Chapman is the real “local boy” issue. Hasn’t had a good season, can barely break into the team, and the guy is way too old to be a “prospect.” His Instagram career isn’t going to pay the bills, and dude is a right prick in reality.

I guess everyone can’t be Morgan.

For all the arguments about players being concerned about the money, Seba was the nicest, humblest guy in person. Same goes for Jozy and Bradley. Even VdW is a chill guy in reality.

I hope Oso does well. Otherwise you can ship him off to the CPL Brampton team where he’d actually be the hometown hero.
    Cant disagree, funny you mention Ashton he’s lost in all this because he’s simply a humble gentleman .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mavinga got fined for a “hand to face, neck or head” violation

I didn’t know about this category of infractions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did the guy who elbowed Bradley in the nose get a fine? You could see how swollen his nose was afterwards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heres the notice on the MLS website with the video of the assault. Suprised FIFA isn't investigating this and putting a lifetime ban on Mavinga.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...-chris-mavinga

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a load of BS. They make an issue out of this? How about that brutal body check on Moore? That's something worth reviewing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreekAce View Post
    What a load of BS. They make an issue out of this? How about that brutal body check on Moore? That's something worth reviewing.
    That is the worst thing about MLS. The rule is fine on it's own but the enforcement has to be equal across the board to every player on every infraction and that is where they fail. They can't just pick and choose when to use it. Stupid disciplinary committee has been doing this kind of crap for years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A fine? I thought even jokingly putting your hands in the general direction of someone’s face, neck or head was an instant red and subsequent ban!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdogg View Post
    Heres the notice on the MLS website with the video of the assault. Suprised FIFA isn't investigating this and putting a lifetime ban on Mavinga.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...-chris-mavinga
    Hahahaha. That’s farcical. I hope the fine was 9.99

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, if they are going to fine that what aren’t they going to fine?

Seems completely random and arbitrary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, if they are going to fine that what aren’t they going to fine?

Seems completely random and arbitrary
    Rub his hair with your hand - a fine.
    Massage his face with your elbow - not even a foul.