Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    The one real positive today was Moor. He is soooo slow and yet he is so smart and a commander of the line. If he gets hurt again we are in trouble. We bent but did not break most importantly gave up no real bad counter attacks.

I also do give Vanney credit on the formation shifting from 3-4-3 to 5-4-1 when needed.

Two weeks to plan and prepare and to bring in reinforcements (Get Poz here and a healthy Jozy) for the party on the 17th!!
    Poz will not play yet in that game.
    But yeah, he can be a motivating extra factor, if he'll be somewhere in the stands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I wonder how many of us, when thinking about TFC's chances in this match with our heads and not our hearts, thought that we are going to win?
    Maybe 5% of us?

Truth is that TFC 's game was a lot better than we expected (but of course not something we should be raving about), and Philly's game was a lot worse than we expected.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    A big YES here!
    I wonder why people aren't appreciating more Auro.
    He can become in 1-2 years an excellent player...
    Because he's got defensive skills of a dumpster fire (ok. I exaggerate but not by much)
    He's a good wingback but not a fullback.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Because he's got defensive skills of a dumpster fire (ok. I exaggerate but not by much)
    He's very young and his defensive skills looked solid yesterday. He will continue to improve.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Have you seen him play? He’s a good player for MLS but he wouldn’t make the bench at Juventus when Seba was sitting there.
    BWP wouldn't have made the bench for the relegated teams in Serie A the year NYRB got him from Brentford. What a player does before MLS means nothing. Great players flop and shit players excel sometimes. It's a weird league.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    He's very young and his defensive skills looked solid yesterday. He will continue to improve.
    he's 23. Hardly very young.

I hope he does well. But he really needs to work on his defensive skills because most of the time, he's so far up the pitch that he's rarely found on defence
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he's 23. Hardly very young.

I hope he does well. But he really needs to work on his defensive skills because most of the time, he's so far up the pitch that he's rarely found on defence
    Reminds me something needs to be done, re VDW.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    BWP wouldn't have made the bench for the relegated teams in Serie A the year NYRB got him from Brentford. What a player does before MLS means nothing. Great players flop and shit players excel sometimes. It's a weird league.
    Jozy is a prime example.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Reminds me something needs to be done, re VDW.
    Because it has been so quiet, they are not shopping him. So guessing TFC must be trying to legally terminate his contract, it might be going to CAS or something.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed.

A player can only be as good as the position his coach puts him in. He's brutal at times in a 4-4-2 at RB yet looks very promising as a wing back.

We played a 3-4-3 yesterday which suits him perfect. He also looks good as wingback in a 3-5-2.

Honestly, given the personal yesterday the 3-4-3 was a great formation for us and worked very well.

Morrow looks more versatile between full back and wingback but looked great as left wing back yesterday. Just don't play Morrow as a winger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T.O TILL I DIE View Post
    Lol who seen the Meekmill> drake sign
    i did, was gonna post it, 2 funny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The minute Ciman, Moor or Mavinga get injured, we're basically screwed because Auro or Zavelta will be put in positions they suck in. I'd honestly prioritize CB over a winger.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    The minute Ciman, Moor or Mavinga get injured, we're basically screwed because Auro or Zavelta will be put in positions they suck in. I'd honestly prioritize CB over a winger.
    We need both but a winger will help us win now. The CB will prepare us for inevitable need for depth.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More than likely caused by playing a different position every game I’d suspect. If wouldn’t be a stretch to think if he played one or the other full time (or close to it) his defensive errors would settle. He’s a promising player at 23.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auro has shown he can do it. He was very solid defensively in CCL last year. He particularly had a nice game at BMO against America.

But he does seem to need to figure out better how/when to push forward. Morrow is great at this.

When Auro played with Hagglund and Zavaleta on the back line, this flaw got exposed, there was no coverage, it was a grease fire.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    Totally agree with you on both Hamilton and Osario, maybe we were watching a different game to some others on here. Seriously the comments by people on here who talk like they are experts are just mind blowing.
    ”Boyd was useless”,...hmmm so they guy comes on with 15 minutes left when we are trying to hold on to the lead, throws himself around and generally disrupts their back four and helps create the last goal....ok sure he was useless.
    ”Osario is a serviceable $150k player but a total bust as a $850k player”. So the guy was probably our best player last year, earned his new contract and always gives his all for the team. But based on 1 league game this season he is a total bust...yeah ok. He missed a penalty, he’s not the first and won’t be the last to do that based on our history. He accidentally gave away a penalty with a raised arm. Did you see the tackle he made to win the ball that set up Deleon for his goal? Did you notice his work rate?
    And no I don’t profess to be an expert but I have played the game for 30 odd years and like to think I can analyze a game subjectively, not sure I believe some others on here are able to do the same based on their comments
    I wouldn't ever say that Oso is a bust but I think it's fair for people to question the use of TAM on him. IMO DP and TAM players should be held to a higher standard since we occupy valuable assets on retaining them.

The more responsibility Oso gets he seems to prove time and time again that he is a supporting cast mate. He has never and likely will never be the guy to take the team on his shoulders. When thrust into the role he tends to try to do too much and ends up ineffective. Is he an awful player? No, not by any means. His work rate is pretty inarguable as well, although I'm not sure I've seen anyone on here legitimately question that.

I think it all boils down to this - could we do equal or better than Oso with a non TAM player? IMO we definitely could, even within MLS. Another interesting thing to consider re: Oso is how much of a cap hit is he worth? I would be curious to learn how much TAM we are using to buy down his contract. What cap hit is FO comfortable with in regards to Oso - remember if he's on 650K we could be using say 500K of TAM to take him down to 150k, for example. I think this is an interesting component when weighing in Oso's merits. I suspect we would be using a fair amount of TAM on him to keep the cap hit minimal. However, if we've bought him down to a CBA max deal I think there are questions to be asked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On VDW: he posted himself watching the game yesterday. Thought that was interesting as in he either still cares or is trying to show himself as caring.

Oso TAM: the league is and will continue to grow meaning more dollars to spend on players. It’s just as easy to spend TAM on an unknown like Aketxe and not get anything out of it. I am happy oso got the contract because Canadians generally get the short and end of the stick. He ranted it and like every other player needs to ensure he continues to play st the same level. He will have good and bad days, and that is normal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just looked back to last season. We’re halfway to meeting last years total road wins already!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    Totally agree with you on both Hamilton and Osario, maybe we were watching a different game to some others on here. Seriously the comments by people on here who talk like they are experts are just mind blowing.
    ”Boyd was useless”,...hmmm so they guy comes on with 15 minutes left when we are trying to hold on to the lead, throws himself around and generally disrupts their back four and helps create the last goal....ok sure he was useless.
    ”Osario is a serviceable $150k player but a total bust as a $850k player”. So the guy was probably our best player last year, earned his new contract and always gives his all for the team. But based on 1 league game this season he is a total bust...yeah ok. He missed a penalty, he’s not the first and won’t be the last to do that based on our history. He accidentally gave away a penalty with a raised arm. Did you see the tackle he made to win the ball that set up Deleon for his goal? Did you notice his work rate?
    And no I don’t profess to be an expert but I have played the game for 30 odd years and like to think I can analyze a game subjectively, not sure I believe some others on here are able to do the same based on their comments
    I do not dislike Osorio. Having said that (again), I maintain he was never our best player (if he was that says something about our MLS record last year), and it was a mistake giving him that huge contract.

It all returns to the Seba and Victor factor. Last season, Seba played more of an attacking mid (his natural position), and, instead of driving to the net all the time, used other players, such as Osorio, to finish (all of those simple tap ins). With VV, Seba had a terrific season, despite injuries, and it was always evident, that Osorio rarely created anything himself, out of nothing (a few great exceptions). His 2018 was much like Morrows 2017. Players who, on their own, are not stellar, but took advantage of terrific opportunities around goal.

In my opinion, the only way Osorio comes close to 2018 productivity, is if this new Poz continues where VV and Seba left off, pushing Osorio into a more forward role. This matters because if I see this, I hope front office does to, and redoubles its efforts to sign better players.

It bothered me that he was given that penalty. A player like him cannot be given more than a second or two on the ball, because the more thought he puts into it, the more he screws up.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oso's problem is he see's himself as something he is not!

As mentioned by another member today he should model himself after Bradley - defending strongly and move the ball quickly

He has poor offensive instincts and a very high panic level - not an attacking option for a good team
    Loyal - Win, lose or draw!

Weston, Ontario

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    I do not dislike Osorio. Having said that (again), I maintain he was never our best player (if he was that says something about our MLS record last year), and it was a mistake giving him that huge contract.

It all returns to the Seba and Victor factor. Last season, Seba played more of an attacking mid (his natural position), and, instead of driving to the net all the time, used other players, such as Osorio, to finish (all of those simple tap ins). With VV, Seba had a terrific season, despite injuries, and it was always evident, that Osorio rarely created anything himself, out of nothing (a few great exceptions). His 2018 was much like Morrows 2017. Players who, on their own, are not stellar, but took advantage of terrific opportunities around goal.

In my opinion, the only way Osorio comes close to 2018 productivity, is if this new Poz continues where VV and Seba left off, pushing Osorio into a more forward role. This matters because if I see this, I hope front office does to, and redoubles its efforts to sign better players.

It bothered me that he was given that penalty. A player like him cannot be given more than a second or two on the ball, because the more thought he puts into it, the more he screws up.
    This opinion lost me when it said that attacking mid was Seba's natural position

These Oso takes (almost all of them on this thread) are so hot I think my computer might catch fire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    I wouldn't ever say that Oso is a bust but I think it's fair for people to question the use of TAM on him. IMO DP and TAM players should be held to a higher standard since we occupy valuable assets on retaining them.

The more responsibility Oso gets he seems to prove time and time again that he is a supporting cast mate. He has never and likely will never be the guy to take the team on his shoulders. When thrust into the role he tends to try to do too much and ends up ineffective. Is he an awful player? No, not by any means. His work rate is pretty inarguable as well, although I'm not sure I've seen anyone on here legitimately question that.

I think it all boils down to this - could we do equal or better than Oso with a non TAM player? IMO we definitely could, even within MLS. Another interesting thing to consider re: Oso is how much of a cap hit is he worth? I would be curious to learn how much TAM we are using to buy down his contract. What cap hit is FO comfortable with in regards to Oso - remember if he's on 650K we could be using say 500K of TAM to take him down to 150k, for example. I think this is an interesting component when weighing in Oso's merits. I suspect we would be using a fair amount of TAM on him to keep the cap hit minimal. However, if we've bought him down to a CBA max deal I think there are questions to be asked.
    Oso is held to a very different standard than our other skilled players. I don’t get it and I am always going to stand up for him. He was our player of the year last year and some in this board are incredibly critical of his overall play essentially because he stupidly gave up a penalty. It’s like they notice his mistakes but not his good moments.

Was his game against philly as good as his play last year? No. Did his play last year, given his age and other potential opportunities deserve the contract he got? Beyond doubt - you can argue about the exact dollars, but surelybeing the golden boot in the CCL demonstrates his quality and that he deserved to be signed to a significant raise.

Oso is a very skilled technical player. He is at his best when he plays with other skilled technical players, but surely that’s what we want - players who excel at the highest level of competition we play and in those critical moments, as he did last year.

He isn’t a DP. He isn’t paid to dominate the games like Seba did. And he isn’t VV, who was a DP in everything but salary as Vanney as said. It’s shockingly unfair for people to dump on Oso for not dominating a game the way Seba or VV can (even though he has on occasion, when on the pitch with other skilled players ).

Plus, he’s one of ours. We should be celebrating his successes and at least have some forgiveness for his failures. Yet some seem to do the opposite: ignore his contributions and trash him for any error.

Yesterday he made a very good contribution to the game but made two glaring errors. Fair play to criticize on the penalty miss but it doesn’t alter the fact that he is a skilled important player on our team, and deserves our encouragement and support to build on what was a great year last year.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 03-03-2019 at 12:44 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    This opinion lost me when it said that attacking mid was Seba's natural position

These Oso takes (almost all of them on this thread) are so hot I think my computer might catch fire
    This Oso conversation is weird, I agree

Oso is in a class by himself as the TFC Rorschach test - what you say about inevitably says more about you than him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    On VDW: he posted himself watching the game yesterday. Thought that was interesting as in he either still cares or is trying to show himself as caring.
    VDW’s IG story had him in Miami. He’s also had stories of himself posted in TFC training grounds. Whether he cares is irrelevant. He’s reminding everyone he’s still part of Toronto FC organization and his situation is at a limbo right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The annual Osorio debate lol

It’s not wrong to say he’s overpaid at 850 k, considering Drew Moor gets half of that

He’s a good possession player and he’s also had some clutch moments for us in big moments. Also he’s the Canadian kid so it’s ideal for marketing and he doesn’t take away an international roster spot. He’s decent on both sides of the ball but obviously isn’t an elite player in the final third and never will be. That said he’s gotten better at scoring goals and finding his team mates and doesn’t panic as much. He’s worth 500 k a year IMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by azorean View Post
    I think Bono is / can be solid BUT, I remember even in our cup year, we were all very quick to annoint Bono as the starting guy for years to come. Me included. I think he is / can be a solid keeper but even during that year or year prior when he took control of starting job from Irwin, I found myself kind of wondering how it all happened ? I mean, Irwin was not the greatest, and he got injured if I remember, but I am pretty sure we still win the cup with Irwin in goal, at least I think we do. Bono has made some incredible saves for us, don't get me wrong, and probably recent bias here from me, but just saying, even when he took over I found myself asking how did this guy do this so quickly? I think we can all agree he is not head and shoulders above any other decent MLS keeper at least, and should be challenged for his spot.
    I feel for Bono it's all come down to that free kick he gave up in the champions league game here at BMO field last year. I don't ever recall him looking so bad, and making the wrong decisions so often prior to that particular goal. When he took the goal from Irwin, I remember being so impressed at how many shots he would stop, breakaways, whatever. He was always there, could hold the ball, clear it away. Now, it's like he has no hands, just stubs on the ends of his arms, and he doesn't save those shots he used to either.
    For me, it all comes back to that goal that ruined his confidence, and has made him mentally fragile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s not wrong to say he’s overpaid at 850 k, considering Drew Moor gets half of that

He’s a good possession player and he’s also had some clutch moments for us in big moments. Also he’s the Canadian kid so it’s ideal for marketing and he doesn’t take away an international roster spot. He’s decent on both sides of the ball but obviously isn’t an elite player in the final third and never will be. That said he’s gotten better at scoring goals and finding his team mates and doesn’t panic as much. He’s worth 500 k a year IMO
    I think that’s a fair comment, whether I agree with every part or not. My objection is the constant trashing of the player, even when he does well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post

I was in Rome in Oct 2015, and witnessed Seba entering the game in the second half, and quickly setting up 2 goals. He was a winger/midfielder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes it is wrong to say he is overpaid. It would be right to say that Drew Moor is underpaid. It is the thing I hate most about MLS...the constant debate over whether a player is worth his published salary. The quicker they get rid of the DP rule, TAM, GAM, Allocation Domestic, Allocation International, etc...the better. If they allow Toronto a $28 Million salary budget - then that should be the salary cap for every team in the league. Use the salary cap as you see fit. i would much rather have 28 players making $1 Million each than this idiotic system. We would see a much better quality of football if this were allowed.

We have one player that has developed through the system at Toronto and makes good. Has a great couple of seasons at the highest levels and all you here is how no one likes him, no one thinks he's good enough, he's overpaid, MLSE is wasting their money, etc... it is a very depressing state of affairs. If you really want to get mad about wasted money...you shouldn't get past the discussion over the Aketxe and VdW signings. Oh but they are European's... they must be good...better than Canucks.

Not a rant at you Defoe...just a rant at the whole "Kid from Toronto can't be good" trope.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The guy earned his new contract with this alone, really.

Regardless of his nationality.