Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The guy earned his new contract with this alone, really.

Regardless of his nationality.

That goal was all Giovinco. A pretty tap in does not happen without the atomic ant on the pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    That goal was all Giovinco. A pretty tap in does not happen without the atomic ant on the pitch.
    Soccer is a team game. Even for Seba.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. The goal doesn't happen without Gio, but calling a cheeky backheel a "tap in" is just mean. Plus he did it against an elite team in the 89th minute of a tie of massive magnitude. That was a very cool customer there.

Or if you want you could talk about the uncalled bodycheck Altidore laid on the Tigres defender....
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Soccer is a team game. Even for Seba.
    Agreed, and most teams are only as good, as it’s weakest parts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. The goal doesn't happen without Gio, but calling a cheeky backheel a "tap in" is just mean. Plus he did it against an elite team in the 89th minute of a tie of massive magnitude. That was a very cool customer there.

Or if you want you could talk about the uncalled bodycheck Altidore laid on the Tigres defender....
    It was very exciting, and, when you watch the build up, there were about ten touches, none belonging to Osorio. The pass to his left foot was exquisite. It is not mean, just my assessment of that series of play. Without the moving parts, Osorio will have a lot of trouble this year. And, likewise Altidore, if Poz doesn’t live up to his billing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem with having an educated conversation about Oso is that the 2 polar opinions are both so ludicrous. One extreme is that he's completely incapable and the other is that he can do no wrong because of his birthplace.

I will say this much - if Ciman had been the one defending in the box yesterday with 2 arms flailing around he would be so far down shitts creek on this board getting beaten with both paddles. There is not one soul on this board who could say otherwise with a straight face.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    The problem with having an educated conversation about Oso is that the 2 polar opinions are both so ludicrous. One extreme is that he's completely incapable and the other is that he can do no wrong because of his birthplace.

I will say this much - if Ciman had been the one defending in the box yesterday with 2 arms flailing around he would be so far down shitts creek on this board getting beaten with both paddles. There is not one soul on this board who could say otherwise with a straight face.
    Not ludicrous. When that Axcete player was recruited, it appeared his signing was, in part, a plan to finally replace Osorio, who spent much of 2017 on the bench. Everyone in my seating area were happy about that prospect, and in 2018, with all that happened re injuries, we were equally amazed Osorio became so productive. I am not on either side of your polarized theory.
    My sentiments are based on his overall career path, and not just one season;
    giving him thathuge raise, and endeavouring to establish him as the face of Canadian football, will, in my opinion, put too much pressure on him. I hope that I am wrong.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was very exciting, and, when you watch the build up, there were about ten touches, none belonging to Osorio. The pass to his left foot was exquisite. It is not mean, just my assessment of that series of play. Without the moving parts, Osorio will have a lot of trouble this year. And, likewise Altidore, if Poz doesn’t live up to his billing.
    Your "assessment" is complete non-sense. You've claimed it was all Giovinco despite him doing the easiest part. Bradley's perfectly weighted ball over the top on the volley, Moor's control and vision to spot a pass behind him and Osorio's deft finish were all far more important and more difficult than Giovinco's square ball which he managed to play behind Oso forcing him to pull out the backheel. Not to mention the shit lobbed ball to no one Giovinco initially played. So no, not even close to being all Giovinco. Put Morrow in the same position and we'll get the exact same result because the quality on the play was all Bradley, Moor, and Oso.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomLawrence View Post
    Your "assessment" is complete non-sense. You've claimed it was all Giovinco despite him doing the easiest part. Bradley's perfectly weighted ball over the top on the volley, Moor's control and vision to spot a pass behind him and Osorio's deft finish were all far more important and more difficult than Giovinco's square ball which he managed to play behind Oso forcing him to pull out the backheel. Not to mention the shit lobbed ball to no one Giovinco initially played. So no, not even close to being all Giovinco. Put Morrow in the same position and we'll get the exact same result because the quality on the play was all Bradley, Moor, and Oso.
    How many defenders were covering Seba? Three? Four?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post

Memories of Doniel Henry come to mind.

Steven Caldwell too.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Plus, he’s one of ours. We should be celebrating his successes and at least have some forgiveness for his failures. Yet some seem to do the opposite: ignore his contributions and trash him for any error.
    It's the Canadian way isn't it? Or maybe it's specifically a GTA thing. I grew up in the neighbourhood of famous rappers, singers, actors, NHL players, our greatest ever soccer player and more. Yet all people ever do is shit all over them or act like they don't exist. Some of the most talented people in their field in the world and I've not once seen actual support or pride in them, just another constant put down for the the lot of them.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many defenders were covering Seba? Three? Four?
    Four? Are you blind? There isn't actually a single defender properly marking him. There are 4 defenders running around doing nothing sure, but they sure as fuck aren't marking Giovinco. There is one who puts in a last ditch block which Giovinco is lucky the ball slides under him. He's played a fantastic pass from Bradley where he is wide open being marked by no one and takes a shit touch and plays a shit ball across. Then Moor once against brilliantly controls and plays a fantastic ball to pick him out where again no defender is marking him. Four defenders covering him, fucking hell you're clueless tbh.

Have you ever played football? Because I don't think you have if you're picking out Giovinco as doing everything there. Bradley and Moor's parts are far better.
    Last edited by TomLawrence; 03-03-2019 at 07:54 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loyal View Post
    Oso's problem is he see's himself as something he is not!

As mentioned by another member today he should model himself after Bradley - defending strongly and move the ball quickly

He has poor offensive instincts and a very high panic level - not an attacking option for a good team
    Player's with poor offensive instincts don't score 17 goals in a season and win Champions League golden boots. His positioning and movement in attacking areas are the exact reasons he scored so many of those goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Oso conversation is weird, I agree

Oso is in a class by himself as the TFC Rorschach test - what you say about inevitably says more about you than him.
    This is an awesome comment. So true.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomLawrence View Post
    Four? Are you blind? There isn't actually a single defender properly marking him. There are 4 defenders running around doing nothing sure, but they sure as fuck aren't marking Giovinco. There is one who puts in a last ditch block which Giovinco is lucky the ball slides under him. He's played a fantastic pass from Bradley where he is wide open being marked by no one and takes a shit touch and plays a shit ball across. Then Moor once against brilliantly controls and plays a fantastic ball to pick him out where again no defender is marking him. Four defenders covering him, fucking hell you're clueless tbh.

Have you ever played football? Because I don't think you have if you're picking out Giovinco as doing everything there. Bradley and Moor's parts are far better.
    Look, you will never bait me into a useless argument based on personal invective. I was at that game. You can deflect, all that you want, but using your own argument, you have essentially agreed, that Osorio did nothing, until that sweet tap in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The point is that football players on a team are interconnected and dependent on one another. How many times did Jozy get a perfectly weighted ball dropped on his feet near or right in the box. One could argue all Jozy did is tap it in. That’s not the point. It’s Jozys job to put it in the net, but all the work that got the ball to him is just as valuable.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look, you will never bait me into a useless argument based on personal invective. I was at that game. You can deflect, all that you want, but using your own argument, you have essentially agreed, that Osorio did nothing, until that sweet tap in.
    Get serious, this time last year we were all united. We won as a team, we put everything in to win the CCL, missed a shot in extra time, blew the penalties, got injured and kept thinking we had time to recover...well, we never recovered. But, I am glad we went for it.. It is sad about Gio but he chose to leave, just thank him for his contributions and wish him luck. Bring on Poz, cause there ain’t no going back. We’re here to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Poz.

As as much as yesterday was ugly we won because we played with heart and took the lead first. Oso is allowed to miss a penalty without being a reject, Gio missed 3 of 4 last year but Osorio will probably need to adjust more than anyone else this year.

We we have two weeks get healthy, train, get reinforcements or stay with the 3-4-3 until we have other options.

TFC TIL I die

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Get serious, this time last year we were all united. We won as a team, we put everything in to win the CCL, missed a shot in extra time, blew the penalties, got injured and kept thinking we had time to recover...well, we never recovered. But, I am glad we went for it.. It is sad about Gio but he chose to leave, just thank him for his contributions and wish him luck. Bring on Poz, cause there ain’t no going back. We’re here to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Poz.

As as much as yesterday was ugly we won because we played with heart and took the lead first. Oso is allowed to miss a penalty without being a reject, Gio missed 3 of 4 last year but Osorio will probably need to adjust more than anyone else this year.

We we have two weeks get healthy, train, get reinforcements or stay with the 3-4-3 until we have other options.

TFC TIL I die
    I hope Osorio pulls it off, really I do, but until the team finds another striker, another winger, a replacement for VDW, players like him will have difficulty against most playoff caliber teams. Giving him the penalty was a mistake, not because he missed, but because his confidence shrinks under pressure. He will be productive when less, not more, is expected from him, and when he is surrounded by better players. My last Osorio comment for 2019. I am more concerned about the lack of depth at virtually every position on this team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    We’re here to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Poz.
    We hear he is a whiz of a wiz
    If ever a wiz there was

“What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If ever a wiz there was

clairvoyant, poet...what next!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the pitch, I’m happy when Osorio plays well. When he doesn’t, I’d love to give him a pass.

That said, he has transformed into a bit of a douche off the pitch, so I’m no longer inclined to give him a pass for poor performances. If this season is as bad as his PK, I wouldn’t be sad if they shipped him off to the CPL. Plenty of midfielders to be had for TAM money.

Chapman is the real “local boy” issue. Hasn’t had a good season, can barely break into the team, and the guy is way too old to be a “prospect.” His Instagram career isn’t going to pay the bills, and dude is a right prick in reality.

I guess everyone can’t be Morgan.

For all the arguments about players being concerned about the money, Seba was the nicest, humblest guy in person. Same goes for Jozy and Bradley. Even VdW is a chill guy in reality.

I hope Oso does well. Otherwise you can ship him off to the CPL Brampton team where he’d actually be the hometown hero.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    For all the arguments about players being concerned about the money, Seba was the nicest, humblest guy in person. Same goes for Jozy and Bradley. Even VdW is a chill guy in reality.
    I can confirm, I know people that had to deal with Seba in a professional (non-sports) environment. They also said he was super nice and respectful, much better than many other (sports) stars they deal with.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Change of pace , I said Bradley as important as he can be would never win a game for us , he did Sat . 2nd miracle Vanney adapted the formation to suit the players on the field , that’s all Inask . If we continue to realize we’re at the bottom and have to fight our way to the top , maybe just maybe we’ll make the playoffs . As for Mr .Oso , he must do the same , stop believing the hype and never stop digging and being a blue collar player , in that he’ll be effective . He’s overpaid ( all the power ) and it hurt him , but it doesn’t make him a better player at all , hopefully he really gets close to Bradley as a role model . Call me crazy but I’d like to see our backup goalkeeper start once , if he’s not up to it , that’s another need . Bono is still immature at the position .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the narrative on the MLS website is that Toronto is struggling and just got lucky on the weekend because Philly was so bad. I didn’t see it that way. Toronto played fairly well and forced the Union into those mistakes as well. I guess we have to beat Atalanta or something to not be called lucky when we win now. I really hope with our reinforcements we go on a good streak so they can drop that lucky narrative if we win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    So the narrative on the MLS website is that Toronto is struggling and just got lucky on the weekend because Philly was so bad. I didn’t see it that way. Toronto played fairly well and forced the Union into those mistakes as well. I guess we have to beat Atalanta or something to not be called lucky when we win now. I really hope with our reinforcements we go on a good streak so they can drop that lucky narrative if we win.
    I agree, but really don't give a shit what MLS say as long as our commentators aren't saying it, are you listening Steven (Caldwell) what an ass he can be!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    I agree, but really don't give a shit what MLS say as long as our commentators aren't saying it, are you listening Steven (Caldwell) what an ass he can be!!
    In the end I don't really care much what MLS people say either but I do read their articles and whatnot on their website and it can be annoying. Caldwell annoys me too at times with his commentary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mind Caldwell, but his comments strike me as reverse homerism - he's harder on his old team because he doesn't want to appear biased. I find if he talks about Montreal or Vancouver he is more forgiving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If ever a wiz there was

Nobody beats the Wiz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I don't mind Caldwell, but his comments strike me as reverse homerism - he's harder on his old team because he doesn't want to appear biased. I find if he talks about Montreal or Vancouver he is more forgiving.
    But he should be biased, that's what your home commentator is supposed to be, in my opinion anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I also like KJ and Caldwell. Not sure what the bitching here is sometimes. He calls it as he sees it. Definitely not a homer.