Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Sometimes these 250 k Deleon, Beitashour type players with tons of MLS experience turn out to be more valuable then million dollar players like Van Der Weil, Aketke
    Yes sir. I may even go buy fifa 19

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m betting TFC winning today and scoring 3 goals with this particular lineup was the prediction by all so-called experts today (including me) ——- that’s why pre-season predictions mean so much —- last year we were guaranteed repeat Champions, this year we suck more than ever.....maybe we will play with a chip on our shoulder this year (after last years debacle), and that will drive the team forward this season!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leading the league, everything is right in the world again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 points on the road for their first game is a very good start.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Credit to Vanney, formation and strategy worked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ciman slipped up at the start but was pretty solid the rest of the game and kept us in it.

Bradley scores a brace, but should be on a TAM salary under $1 million.

Osorio misses a penalty and gives up one, and played like trash all game.

Mavinga, Auro and Morrow had good games. Marky did okay.

DeLeon is a backup, but played well all game and bagged a goal where Hamilton and Boyd would have been useless (Boyd was useless — he and Osorio were Tweedledee and Tweedledum).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Dude, just stick https://www. in front of it.
    thanks...got it working

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Osorio was a lot more poor on the ball than his usual today. Ciman's first half was nearly a disaster. Bono is a huge liability on crosses.

Ciman's 2nd half was great and that's what he needs to be going forward. Pick your moments to be aggressive, don't be going all-or-nothing all the time. He was huge in the second half. Moor and Mavinga are still a great pairing together too.

DeLeon was great, Hamilton was great, Bradley MOTM.

Credit to Vanney for getting the guys organized and in the right mindset after the CCL disaster. This could have went really sideways for us but after the first 20 or so minutes we were probably better for the balance of the game. Good on him to have the team prepared.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good performance today TFC, you showed your formation/mentality and it worked; dont stop focusing ahead and maybe we may do better than i originally had thought

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I thought Osorio was a lot more poor on the ball than his usual today. Ciman's first half was nearly a disaster. Bono is a huge liability on crosses.

Ciman's 2nd half was great and that's what he needs to be going forward. Pick your moments to be aggressive, don't be going all-or-nothing all the time. He was huge in the second half. Moor and Mavinga are still a great pairing together too.

Credit to Vanney for getting the guys organized and in the right mindset after the CCL disaster. This could have went really sideways for us but after the first 20 or so minutes we were probably better for the balance of the game. Good on him to have the team prepared.
    Yep, looking more and more like they threw CCL to concentrate on the league. Osorio is just playing like he always has... no surprises there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    3 points on the road for their first game is a very good start.
    Against an Eastern team too. Winning feels nice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post

I hate to say it and have this mentality, but getting out of CCL early was good. We weren't going to go all the way and we need to prioritize getting to MLS playoffs and getting back to CCL next year when we will have a much better team and a better chance

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Osorio back to 2016 form.
    Osorio is a classic garbage goal player (that can be very useful). He is lost without VV, Seba, and Altidore, who in 2018, practically placed the ball onto his left foot, one metre in front of countless empty nets.
    I recommend that he plays forward alongside whoever else is on the pitch, because as an attacking midfielder, he frankly stinks. He is best when he is given no time to think. When he takes that extra second on the ball, he fails most times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it seems iv'e was overly pessimistic about our side going into the opener, so i'm back to take the pelters I deserve.

It was a solid team performance and three deserved points today. However, I'm still a little unsure if we were outstanding or Philli were piss poor this afternoon. In truth it was probably a combination of the two. Nevertheless well done to the Reds, the captain in particular, who stepped up and gave us a great start to the year.

However, some of my concerns remain. There is no way Hamilton is a starter in this league. The sitter he missed in the first half was the type of opportunity a line leading forward simply needs to score. Our attack without Seba, still worries me. It was significant the goals came from midfield and not our forwards. Something that needs to be addressed with the 3rd DP slot. I also thought Osorio had a howler, and it reinforced my opinion, that despite MLSE attempts to sell him as a local superstar, he is no more than a good option to have in your squad. However, he isnt nearly as talented as Vasquez, and the AM position is another area the front office need to address.

Still for now i'll enjoy the 3pts. Its in the lap of the Gods how we do this season, but to get off to a winning start is encouraging, this side still might retain some of the spirit and winning mentality of 2017. Hell, if we somehow manage a run in the playoffs I might even revise my opinion on the manager

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ciman looked much better today, other than his crazy bicycle attempts clearance in the first half. He saved the Reds will his goal line clearance. Great to see Michael with the brace, his first in a TFC uniform. Deleon and Mavinga were rock solid too in what turned into a very chippy, physical match. Nice to see the Reds earn this first season opening victory since 2016.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My thoughts on the game:

Auro was really good, great cross on Bradleys first goal.

Osorio was awful, can someone please make a penalty?

Bradley was tremendous.

Ciman saved the game, I think we can forget about the games vs Panama with him.

I liked the 3-4-3 formation so gotta give some credit Vanney.

Deleon is a starter, TFC just needs to sign a left winger (sucks we couldn’t keep Jansen).

If they keep using 3 at the back they need to sign another CB because you cant have Zavs as the only backup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solid regular season debut.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley, Mavinga and Deleon were very good, the rest just avg, against a horrible Philly team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Osorio is a classic garbage goal player (that can be very useful). He is lost without VV, Seba, and Altidore, who in 2018, practically placed the ball onto his left foot, one metre in front of countless empty nets.
    I recommend that he plays forward alongside whoever else is on the pitch, because as an attacking midfielder, he frankly stinks. He is best when he is given no time to think. When he takes that extra second on the ball, he fails most times.
    I mean, he can be okay. But when Seba, VV, or Jozy is taking defenders from you leaving you with loads of space you can play.

When we start lineups like this, opponents aren’t triple marking Seba or Jozy and leaving room for Morrow or Osorio. Osorio then dribbles into someone, misplaced a pass, passes backwards, or loses possession.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Bradley, Mavinga and Deleon were very good, the rest just avg, against a horrible Philly team
    Ya that defence was horrible... Fabian did not look like a quality player at all but saves him self with a P.K

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, we CONCACAF'd that game HARD. Defence still sucks but is better with Moor to tell Ciman what to do.

DeLeon is an MLS plugger up and down that wing. Needed that. Watch his goal again - Boyd goes HARD into DeBoya who just watches him run past. Then its good work by DeLeon & Osorio & a quick shot & 3 points.

Pretty? Nope but take it and move on.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drew Moor ftw.

Huge difference organizing the d

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was wondering if spending some of that TAM on a DM makes sense. We could push Bradley into the Delgado role to let him do the hustling, and let Pozuelo pull the strings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great game given the circumstances. Vanney seemed to make an adjustment after about 20 minutes that helped. I wonder if he told BrDley to get more involved or if that was Bradley on his own.. loved Bradley’s reaction after the elbow to the nose; philly should have seen red for the challenge on Moor. Ham8lton played very well, good runs and hold up play. Missed his chance but a half breakaway is not a otter, it’s actually tough.

People are way too hard on Oso. He was involved in the first and third goals and was very tidy on the ball, worked hard to track back. Terrible PK and bad luck to give one up, but his other play was decent - not 2018 Oso, but decent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just what the doctor ordered. Don't care how we did it but we left Philly with 3 points with and undermanned squad. We did what we had to do and bought time. Add Pozuelo and Altidore to that team today and we're on our way ... if we add more ... even better but as we stand I'm a lot happier than I was after that game in Panama ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out how close the Ciman stop was

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=MightyDM;1891589]Great game given the circumstances. Vanney seemed to make an adjustment after about 20 minutes that helped. I wonder if he told BrDley to get more involved or if that was Bradley on his own.. loved Bradley’s reaction after the elbow to the nose; philly should have seen red for the challenge on Moor. Ham8lton played very well, good runs and hold up play. Missed his chance but a half breakaway is not a otter, it’s actually tough.

People are way too hard on Oso. He was involved in the first and third goals and was very tidy on the ball, worked hard to track back. Terrible PK and bad luck to give one up, but his other play was decent - not 2018 Oso, but decent[/QUOTE

Osorio at $150k per season, is a good, serviceable MLS player. At $850k per season, he is a bust.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantastic way to start the season. We needed this to continue to build on the growin chemistry of this group. Felt like everyone put in a shift today rather than coasting. Very pleased with Hamilton’s hold up play. If he can continue to do that it’s a matter of time before he’ll get to pop a couple of goals in himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you think about it, Toronto is improved on last year.

Laurent Ciman > > Nick Hagglund. This could prove to be a lot bigger then we think. It's replacing a guy who is barely MLS quality with a great possession player. Also we got a nice return for Hagglund.

Nick Deleon > Van Der Weil. Hard comparison to make, but Deleon is more versatile and Van Der Weil was obviously deemed to be a negative asset by the organization. Already win with Deleon getting a goal and VDW off the team.

Alejandro Pozuelo = Sebastian Giovinco. This sounds crazy... but would you rather 2017 Victor Vazquez or 2018 Sebastian Giovinco? Pretty close right... Having a top 3 CAM is arguably more important or just as valuable as a top 3 striker. We compare Pozo to Vazquez because they are the same position but Pozuelo and Giovinco is a much more fair comparison.

Victor Vazquez was injured for 40 % of last season... how valuable is having a guy in and out all year? We could never build any chemistry and having our entire offence run through a guy who couldn't play half the time was not beneficial long term. 2017 was special and healthy VV is a pure quality, but that's not what he is. He's an often injured player, sadly.

Add in the fact we don't have CCL to worry about to grind us out, we will likely have far less injuries, Michael Bradley is in a contract year, Vanney needs to prove him self all over again, Hamilton and Bono know this is a critical year for them and we will be much better.

I'm going to change my opinion from the points prediction thread and say playoffs this year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely, it was about one rotation away from counting.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Check out how close the Ciman stop was

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!