Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 303
  1. #1
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,895
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default CCL Rnd of 16 Leg 2 - Independiente @ TFC Tuesday Feb 26 8pm - What Now?





    ***********


    Have at It People

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    10,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I mean, it's not impossible. Despite our dreadful performance, that's not a very good team. They had a couple of fast, skilled attacking players but little cohesion.

    It's more like Seba's back next season, and that's not likely.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    515
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Minus 5 with snow might help

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,627
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


  5. #5
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,895
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I am going to be interested in watching any yutes who play in this game. Too bad we got none on the back line.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    4,538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    This is what I was thinking.

    We need another miracle!

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    the streets be broad and narrow
    Posts
    126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Will anyone who misssed the first leg be available for selection next week?

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,380
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I hope people don’t turn on Boyd. I think he had one touch in the run of play. (It was nifty btw). He got zero service.

    That miss was bad. We saw how Aketxe fell apart because he didn’t get a break. (If there is a silver lining, it’s that the missed PK probably doesn’t matter and won’t be remembered.)

    He needs us behind him. He isn’t management and doesn’t own any of the history.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    603
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shmurda42 View Post
    Will anyone who misssed the first leg be available for selection next week?
    I am guessing Jozy will come off the bench and Deleon will be good to start. Hopefully they announce Menendez and he can play. Bono should take a seat on the bench, lets see what the guy from Ligue 2 can do.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    2,800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I hope people don’t turn on Boyd. I think he had one touch in the run of play. (It was nifty btw). He got zero service.

    That miss was bad. We saw how Aketxe fell apart because he didn’t get a break. (If there is a silver lining, it’s that the missed PK probably doesn’t matter and won’t be remembered.)

    He needs us behind him. He isn’t management and doesn’t own any of the history.
    Nope. Sorry, but he has done nothing to earn support yet. Boyd had more than one touch last night and turned it over a couple of times in the midfield. You don't just support blindly, it has to be directed at those who deserve it, to reinforce to the others the type of player we are looking for.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    515
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    With service in the preseason he did alright, last night was on Vanney's set up. Brutal spot kick though

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,100
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Really glad this happened actually.

    1) It puts TFC management behind the 8 ball to make moves.
    2) It sets the tone to let the players know we are light years away from the 16 months ago.
    3) It happened in a tourney that we can't possibly win and on which we shouldn't waste resources.

  13. #13
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,080
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just consider this another pre-season match and don't get worked up over it.

    The messaging from TFC after last season was that they wouldn't take the CCL so seriously so that it threatens their season this year. That being said, I don't think they expected to be 4-0 behind.

    This will be a very poorly attended match for sure.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,380
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The lineup change priority is that Bono has to sit. This is absolutely imperative. Our back line problem flows from the GK position. You don’t play with confidence when you think your keeper never bails you out.

    He has been a positional mess for a year (jloome pointed this out elsewhere). It was always an issue with him but then it bit us hard in last year's CCL, Alex knows it - he never recovered from that floater that got over him vs Chivas.

    He has no confidence, and the team has no confidence in him.

    Patterson-Sewell (or the new guy, if you think he will play in Philly) needs to start this game, so that he is ready for the opener in Philly.

    I feel bad for Alex, he is a hero here, but our season is at stake. Frankly he needs to go down to USL for a couple of months.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-20-2019 at 12:21 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,380
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Nope. Sorry, but he has done nothing to earn support yet. Boyd had more than one touch last night and turned it over a couple of times in the midfield. You don't just support blindly, it has to be directed at those who deserve it, to reinforce to the others the type of player we are looking for.
    I see it the other way around. New players always get the love.

    It's management that has to prove to me that my cynicism is unworthy!
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,413
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The lineup change priority is that Bono has to sit. This is absolutely imperative. Our back line problem flows from the GK position. You don’t play with confidence when you think your keeper never bails you out.

    He has been a positional mess for a year (jloome pointed this out elsewhere). It was always an issue with him but then it bit us hard in last year's CCL, Alex knows it - he never recovered from that floater that got over him vs Chivas.

    He has no confidence, and the team has no confidence in him.

    Patterson-Sewell (or the new guy, if you think he will play in Philly) needs to start this game, so that he is ready for the opener in Philly.

    I feel bad for Alex, he is a hero here, but our season is at stake. Frankly he needs to go down to USL for a couple of months.
    Not sure how you blame that all on Bono. While I agree he needs to sit, the problems are way deeper than just him. Auro shouldn't be starting, he just has zero defensive awareness. Mavinga and Ciman were awful. Part of that stems from being a new pairing - please Vanney, at least keep the two of them together so they can develop the their positional understanding they need as a pair. But I really worry about Ciman. Bradely could use a good fast, tackling DM beside him. The whole setup has issues really.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,380
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^Bono allowed a bunch of goals he should have had last year. To come out and have zero saves on 4 shots, against a semipro team, and have at least two be because of positioning... for me the back line issues can be addressed in training. But the GK, no way, that is fatal.

    I also disagree (somewhat) re Auro. I think he can be good defensively ( we have seen it, but not often)
    Last edited by ensco; 02-20-2019 at 12:38 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    2,800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'd just like to say that with any goalkeeper, they have to have confidence in their backline so they can choose to make the less risky play. Look at the games in Vegas and Panama - after the first two goals, Bono started rushing out to block because he didn't have confidence that the backline would be able to stop the attack. It's a lose-lose situation for them.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Pickering
    Posts
    67
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I’d rather see Bono in goal and focus on building greater awareness and consistency in our backline than take a chance playing Patterson-Sewell, Who has very little experience at this level for a 31 year old.

    The system and thinking behind our defensive formation needs a bit of a rethink. In possession, The 4-3-3 with inverted wing backs gives us a numerical advantage across the middle. We saw this a fair bit last night, with Morgan and Auro taking up some decent positions.
    Without the ball, or against a counterpress, it fell apart. The amount of space we gave up last night was scary. Any overlap, or diagonal pass looked like it could catch us out of position at any moment.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,380
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I hope people don’t turn on Boyd. I think he had one touch in the run of play. (It was nifty btw). He got zero service.

    That miss was bad. We saw how Aketxe fell apart because he didn’t get a break. (If there is a silver lining, it’s that the missed PK probably doesn’t matter and won’t be remembered.)

    He needs us behind him. He isn’t management and doesn’t own any of the history.
    I like this guy

    https://twitter.com/tboyd91/status/1...163366913?s=21
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  21. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Glad you posted this, and glad to see this from him. Long leash with him.

  22. #22
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,895
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The responses to that tweet from Ciman & Mavinga are heartening.

  23. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,649
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The responses to that tweet from Ciman & Mavinga are heartening.
    Mavinga has been following Seba’s Instagram and my guess, he too wishes he was playing elsewhere. He sure didn’t play well last night, particularly on that goal, where the player pulled a Mario Lemieux deke on him.

  24. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Mavinga has been following Seba’s Instagram and my guess, he too wishes he was playing elsewhere. He sure didn’t play well last night, particularly on that goal, where the player pulled a Mario Lemieux deke on him.
    Funny you say this, I know nothing, but I was thinking of him. Just strange. All the tweets I read about / from him on the lead up to season, strange , is he fully invested?

    Hate to say it, but this locker room must be a mess.

    Next couple of weeks will tell all....
    Last edited by azorean; 02-20-2019 at 07:33 PM.

  25. #25
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by azorean View Post
    Funny you say this, I know nothing, but I was thinking of him. Just strange. All the tweets I read about / from him on the lead up to season, strange , is he fully invested?

    Hate to say it, but this lockerhouse must be a mess.

    Next couple of weeks will tell all....
    If a team in Europe offers him 6 million a year, that would be a tempting offer. Mavinga is still young and has proven himself to have matured in Toronto.

  26. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,466
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ciman is very offensive for a CB. needs a stay at home CB with him. Great on the ball but it was almost like he was trying to play CDM at times

  27. #27
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,080
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Reminder this is a match thread.

    General TFC discussion goes here:
    http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...40#post1888940

  28. #28
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,895
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Weather forecast for Tuesday

    High of -5 30% chance of snow 32km NW winds

    Rain this weekend with a high of 9 on Sunday should wash away a lot of snow

    If I were to hazard a guess, a very bitter cold dry night with wind whipping around.


    The chances of a decent pitch & decent watching soccer are probably minimal.

  29. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,006
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    To be honest, I think if TFC wants to qualify in the next round, they can beat this Panama team by 5 goals in the 2nd leg, even with the available players.
    The whole question is: "They want to advance or not?"

    The first 20 minutes of the game will be very telling.
    If they won't go in "pedal to the metal", they have zero chance to advance.

  30. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    4,538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    To be honest, I think if TFC wants to qualify in the next round, they can beat this Panama team by 5 goals in the 2nd leg, even with the available players.
    The whole question is: "They want to advance or not?"

    The first 20 minutes of the game will be very telling.
    If they won't go in "pedal to the metal", they have zero chance to advance.
    I agree. If they treat this game like their lives depend on it, they might do it.

    Of course, they also might just give up more goals on the counter and fuck themselves even more ...

    Someone needs to step up and grab the game by the balls and boss things around, and the only two who could maybe do it are Jozy or Oso.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •