Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone got a decent stream for the Atlanta game?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bye, Bye AUFC ---- thanks for accomplishing way less than we did after our Championship in 2017.....down to KC now (who I'm sure will get past Ind. tomorrow, and then likely lose to Monterrey in the Semis)......

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing that impresses me the most about the Mexican teams outside of their obvious technical skills and passing is how much stamina they have. Its like they are all out pressing and attacking for 90 min straight. Very dynamic players. Hope our TAM wingers are of similar pedigree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I still think the CCL needs to start later, even if only by a few weeks.
    The only way that happen is if you eliminate a round and only have 8 teams competing because the CCL has to finish before the Liga MX playoffs.
    Which always starts the week after the CCL ends
    Last edited by troy1982; 03-14-2019 at 02:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by troy1982 View Post
    The only way that happen is if you eliminate a round and only have 8 teams competing because the CCL has to finish before the Liga MX playoffs.
    Which always starts the week after the CCL ends
    Why does it have to finish before their play-offs? Why can't the quarters and semis happen during their play-offs with the final happening after, like in Europe?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a return of the group stage might be on the horizon. Which wouldn't hurt MLS teams if it started at the same time as the round of 16 did. Then finished when the concacaf league finishes.

If Canada gets 3-4 spots in the future. The recent matches across the champions league and concacaf league provide a basis for allocating coefficients and spots in qualifying and auto-group stage berths. don't think they could get to 8 groups of 4 but 4 strong groups of 4 would be doable.

Alternatively a joint North And South Americas champions league may trump an expanded concacaf only tournament; eventhough the travel constraints are legitimate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Twellman’s bit he posted to twitter rang true.

Basically: first, scheduling needs to be fixed if we are to level the playing field. Second, “big Atlanta” and MLS’s almighty expectations look somewhat silly when you consider Monterey has 3x the payroll. Essentially, parity coming at the expense of excellence.

Other things not said: many whisper rumours that some players in Liga MX get a portion of their pay under the table. Meaning the gap is even larger than advertised.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man CAI could knock out SKC as well here.....
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't the the scoreline fool you. The CAI keeper put on a clinic.

I'm dead serious, we should be looking into signing both him and Browne.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think the CCL needs to start later, even if only by a few weeks.
    It just needs a reformulation, considering the Mexican league and MLS play different season structures.

That said, Atlanta has been so heavy on the whining and excuses it’s hilarious. TFC did well last year plagued by injuries and took it to the Mexican teams, and fucked our season because of it.

NYRB did okay and still won the shield last year.

Atlanta got snuffed out after being “omg so much better than TFC lol” and proceeded to complain about everything...

Montreal made it further in CCL than Atlanta.

It’s a competition that doesn’t make a lot of sense considering the way scheduling and budgets work. But it’s not like APOEL sits around wondering why they aren’t competitive in CL and cursing the competition for spending more... it’s just unfortunate that CCL has a meaningless amount of money attached to it for MLS teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sporting KC played well, could have had 6 or 7 goals. 73 % possession.

They will need to be more clinical vs Mexican sides. At least we have one team left in CCL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does it have to finish before their play-offs? Why can't the quarters and semis happen during their play-offs with the final happening after, like in Europe?
    The CCL has always been set-up to avoid the 2 Liga MX playoffs and the MLS playoffs.
    That's why the group stages were in the summer and the knock rounds ended in the 1st week in May.
    any change to the format will also have to live with those restrictions. The reason is that it's better for the competition to have it's big teams focus on it and not their domestic league as would if it happened in the playoffs.
    Last edited by troy1982; 03-15-2019 at 05:55 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gmacpheetfc View Post
    I think a return of the group stage might be on the horizon. Which wouldn't hurt MLS teams if it started at the same time as the round of 16 did. Then finished when the concacaf league finishes.

If Canada gets 3-4 spots in the future. The recent matches across the champions league and concacaf league provide a basis for allocating coefficients and spots in qualifying and auto-group stage berths. don't think they could get to 8 groups of 4 but 4 strong groups of 4 would be doable.

Alternatively a joint North And South Americas champions league may trump an expanded concacaf only tournament; eventhough the travel constraints are legitimate.
    the only way the group stage return is if they happen in the summer and the knock rounds ends in the 1st week of may or sooner due to Liga MX and MLS playoffs. As was the format before had
    Last edited by troy1982; 03-15-2019 at 05:51 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They need to run the group stages February to May and the finals after that. That way the MLS teams would have time to get into form for the Knockout stages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The CCL has always been set-up to avoid the 2 Liga MX playoffs and the MLS playoffs.
    That's why the group stages were in the summer and the knock rounds ended in the 1st week in May.
    any change to the format will also have to live with those restrictions. The reason is that it's better for the competition to have it's big teams focus on it and not their domestic league as would if it happened in the playoffs.
    But is it really better for the competition to have the MLS teams basically uncompetitive because they're literally still in pre-season form? I don't think so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But is it really better for the competition to have the MLS teams basically uncompetitive because they're literally still in pre-season form? I don't think so.
    They aren't competitive because they have a salary cap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    They aren't competitive because they have a salary cap.
    That's not the whole reason. The timing of the tournament plays a big role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS teams have made the final 3 times and beat a bunch of Mexican teams, so i wouldn't say it's uncompetitive, the top of the Mexican league is just better than the top of MLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the only way the group stage return is if they happen in the summer and the knock rounds ends in the 1st week of may or sooner due to Liga MX and MLS playoffs. As was the format before had
    Not if we replaced this run of games (Feb-May) with 6 match days for group games and the concacaf league schedule (July-Oct) with knockouts matches; although this would mirror the Copa Lib Schedule which is the real pot of gold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS teams have made the final 3 times and beat a bunch of Mexican teams, so i wouldn't say it's uncompetitive, the top of the Mexican league is just better than the top of MLS
    Canadian Teams have made the finals 2 twice. In fact Canadian Teams have had a lot of success even when they have sucked in League Play. The American Teams just don't try that hard.... it has to be the reason. There is no logical reason why Montreal and Toronto have both been to the Final and the other MLS teams burn out.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canadian teams know how to play a 180 minute home & home series.

US teams...not so much.

You need an institutional memory to succeed in these sort of things. We have that from 2016 on with this group (think of all those Voyageur & playoff series) & with Morgan giving pointers from years gone by. NYRB has that now & SKC might just be getting there this year (although I think Monterrey is going to wipe the floor with them).

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SKC is facing what TFC faced (3 Mexican teams in a row). I doubt they'll even win the first pair of games.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do find interesting that both Montreal and Toronto have been the two squads that have given MLS any hope of CCL glory. Last year TFC I think had the toughest of any MLS team to the final Playing Tigres, Club America and Chivas all three Of Mexico's biggest teams and just being a cross bar away from winning is pretty good. and I think Montreal"s road to the final was not that easy either

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    SKC is facing what TFC faced (3 Mexican teams in a row). I doubt they'll even win the first pair of games.
    TFC had 3 Liga MX teams in a row, SKC wouldn’t.

SKC were impressive against Toluca, but we gifted them a pass in the quarters, so they have had an easier road so far than we did.

I have no read on Monterrey so I guess it's theoretically possible SKC could beat them.

Tigres are going to win this going away. I think CCL 2018 TFC wouldn’t have gotten past Tigres more than twice if we played them 10 times in home and away series, and I don’t think SKC would beat them even once in 10 tries. SKC have nothing remotely close to Giovinco/Altidore up front, and those two figured in 10 of our 11 goals against the Mexican teams. SKC need to score 8 goals in four games to have a chance here.... there is no way.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-15-2019 at 06:46 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monterrey is 3rd in the table right now (1 point behind two clubs tied for 1st) and they haven't lost this Clausura yet. SKC is toast in all likelihood.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monterrey derby in the final will be tasty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Monterrey derby in the final will be tasty
    Would be an excellent watch.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I expected, Tigres use home field to manhandle Santos in the first half to go 3-0 heading into the second leg.

Nobody is going to beat Tigres this year.

SKC @ Monterey tonight - I suspect it will end 2-0 for the home side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    As I expected, Tigres use home field to manhandle Santos in the first half to go 3-0 heading into the second leg.

Kick off in 10 minutes I'm going to watch

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

I think it will go higher than 2-0.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto