Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Independente up 1-0 at half over KC. Hopefully people can get their noises out of the sky, and stop dismissing these smaller countries league champions.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    Independente up 1-0 at half over KC. Hopefully people can get their noises out of the sky, and stop dismissing these smaller countries league champions.
    Final 2-1, CAI over Sporting KC. Not 4-0, but maybe CAI is not as bad as everyone thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have a stream for the ATL game?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GerMc View Post
    Final 2-1, CAI over Sporting KC. Not 4-0, but maybe CAI is not as bad as everyone thought.
    Not entirely. This is Sporting’s B side. They appear to be taking MLS far more seriously. Even that 3-0 win over Toluca ya finch of their b team playing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loving these results tbh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm Notlanta isn’t looking good the last couple games. Curious to see how their mls season plays out.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Hmm Notlanta isn’t looking good the last couple games. Curious to see how their mls season plays out.
    De Boer is trying to shoehorn a 4-1-4-1 CA team into a 3-4-3 possession style - they are going to struggle. He has form for this. I suspect Atlanta hired based on name & familiarity with Darren Eales then fitting into a system. Its their first BIG misstep.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-07-2019 at 07:45 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am enjoying this -----> https://twitter.com/DeBoerMustGo

Welcome to MLS.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going to be a long time before any MLS team has a run like TFC did in the last CCL against such tough competition. MLS fans can laugh about our 2018 MLS season all they want but none of the MLS entries this year look to have what it takes and are even close to what TFC was when they made the run. That is my opinion anyway. I think TFC will have a good MLS season this year and will hopefully make a better go of it next CCL assuming we win the Canadian Championship again of course. I think the next team that could have a run like TFC did could be...well....TFC if all things go well until next CCL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Going to be a long time before any MLS team has a run like TFC did in the last CCL against such tough competition. MLS fans can laugh about our 2018 MLS season all they want but none of the MLS entries this year look to have what it takes and are even close to what TFC was when they made the run. That is my opinion anyway. I think TFC will have a good MLS season this year and will hopefully make a better go of it next CCL assuming we win the Canadian Championship again of course. I think the next team that could have a run like TFC did could be...well....TFC if all things go well until next CCL.
    There were certainly a lot of salty Atlanta fans thinking they’d walk the CCL because they were better than “the best MLS team ever.” They’re harping on “b-b-but MLS can’t compete with a salary cap!” As well as “pre-season form” and “player fitness,” or “but we lost our best player” and “new coach.” While maybe the coaching change and loss of Almiron could have a net negative effect, TFC was in the same situation for most of the CCL and everyone declared Pity Martinez the second coming...

Despite the rest of the season, a Delgado sitter away from winning the CCL was a massive feat, especially with going through CA and Tigres.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think one thing NYRB & us last year should have taught MLS teams is that stability from year to year is key to CCL success.

Here's a twitter thread take on De Boer from an ATL fan who has watched Ajax quite a bit (I use the thread reader app to make stuff easier to find later)

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...641769985.html

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I am enjoying this -----> https://twitter.com/DeBoerMustGo

Welcome to MLS.
    Haha. Not sure if serious:

My son won't stop crying after that disgusting performance. Dogs started barking now too. Household in chaos. Shaking with rage. Just shattered my glass table. Had enough. #DeBoerOut
    That's all I'll say about that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to admit that I poked around the Atlanta boards a bit today (the schadenfreude potential here is huge!), just to see how the tone had changed magically from a few months ago and how dismissive everyone was of our 2017 season and how they were vastly superior in 2018 than we were in 2017 (they invented soccer and supporters culture don’t you know?!). Hearing them complain about injuries and schedule congestion already, ring pretty hollow to me - Toronto was injured and lost games due to schedule congestion last year too when going through CCL - they likely won’t even get past one trip to Mexico. Look at our back line against Chivas; not exactly our “A” team either.....

Look at the stats Atl - you scored less goals and gave up more than we did in your Championship Season, and even adding in the playoffs - the goals for is the same and the goals against still favours TFC in 2017. Both had 69 points, both won MLS Cup; we won a Shield and a domestic Cup; they won neither and lost at home to Chicago in their domestic Cup early on. Add in the performance in the following CCL tournament and there is no comparison - we did a gauntlet of three Mexican clubs only to lose on penalties in the final; I doubt they get past one LigaMX club.

I guarantee that if they ever become a subpar team, attendance will plummet in that market; take away the shiny new smell, and only having success so far, and that is not a stronger soccer market than most of the others out there......
    Last edited by tfcfans; 03-07-2019 at 02:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Potential salary cap changes to help with CCL

https://www.thenutmegnews.com/curren...-the-year-2945

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BritSOL View Post
    Potential salary cap changes to help with CCL

https://www.thenutmegnews.com/curren...-the-year-2945
    One leaked enhancement is the inclusion of WHAM!, an element of TAM in which you spend $1,000 on a vinyl copy of Fantastic and receive a salary decrease of any player on your roster by 1/3rd if you file this on the second Monday of the fourth day of the month of April in the year 2023, but only if you pre-apply every year up until that time with the office of the official player development and lottery funds initiative and only if you already have $150,000 in TAM, $200,000 in GAM and an international roster spot.

lol sums up MLS roster rules.

But seriously, hope they open up the leeway a little. MLS's communism style of parity/equality will help the leagues bottom teams and really force teams to develop talent within, but the growth process is frustrating; our top teams can't compete with the top teams of LIGA MX because there salary is 2 x.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=tfcfans;1892227]I have to admit that I poked around the Atlanta boards a bit today (the schadenfreude potential here is huge!), just to see how the tone had changed magically from a few months ago and how dismissive everyone was of our 2017 season and how they were vastly superior in 2018 than we were in 2017 (they invented soccer and supporters culture don’t you know?!). Hearing them complain about injuries and schedule congestion already, ring pretty hollow to me - Toronto was injured and lost games due to schedule congestion last year too when going through CCL - they likely won’t even get past one trip to Mexico. Look at our back line against Chivas; not exactly our “A” team either.....

Look at the stats Atl - you scored less goals and gave up more than we did in your Championship Season, and even adding in the playoffs - the goals for is the same and the goals against still favours TFC in 2017. Both had 69 points, both won MLS Cup; we won a Shield and a domestic Cup; they won neither and lost at home to Chicago in their domestic Cup early on. Add in the performance in the following CCL tournament and there is no comparison - we did a gauntlet of three Mexican clubs only to lose on penalties in the final; I doubt they get past one LigaMX club.

I guarantee that if they ever become a subpar team, attendance will plummet in that market; take away the shiny new smell, and only having success so far, and that is not a stronger soccer market than most of the others out there......[/QUOTEj Just like Seattle attendance has plummeted right? I don’t see attendance plummeting in Atlanta maybe it will go down a bit but not by much , Atlanta is no Columbus or Dallas or Colorado they have fans , moreover we should wonder about TFC who can’t seem too sellout BMO Field consistently.]

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlanta has a history of not supporting their sports teams very well, hockey (NHL left twice) and basketball very poorly; the Braves were amazing for a decade plus and attendance went down (I guess they got bored of being in the playoffs so often), and the Falcons are supported more when they are good then when they are not, but that part of the country is Football country the way we are hockey country so the NFL and NCAA support will be strong for football.

Seattle and the northwest has a history of supporting soccer and it’s a much bigger part of the culture there then it is in Atlanta. I agree that Toronto is not a soccer hotbed either (we are a niche sport here), but then again, we sat through 8 years of crap and still drew more than most teams in the league at the time. Have Atlanta do what we did for 8 years and then come and talk to me about their strong support - it hasn’t really been tested yet (a few years of losing will send away many - ask all those “new” Jays fans who have magically disappeared again in the last year or two after 2015-2016); only time will tell whether we are right or not I guess.....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I think one thing NYRB & us last year should have taught MLS teams is that stability from year to year is key to CCL success.

Here's a twitter thread take on De Boer from an ATL fan who has watched Ajax quite a bit (I use the thread reader app to make stuff easier to find later)

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...641769985.html
    interesting , I thought Atlanta was the hope of MLS in Concacaf, this informative read explains why Martinez is invisible as of late , after being last years ‘stars’ . MLS is in my opinion under the present format unfortunately not ready for prime time in Concacaf. All teams looked slow and constantly chasing the ball . The Latin teams were on the attack . As everyone knows the structure, unequal rosters, and timing of these games may be too much for MLS presently . Sadly . I guess we should pat ourself (TFC), on the back for our close attempt at winning but look how it destroyed our season last year . It may be time to ignore this competition until it’s made more equitable to MLS , or MLS opens up the rosters and cash .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post

But seriously, hope they open up the leeway a little. MLS's communism style of parity/equality will help the leagues bottom teams and really force teams to develop talent within, but the growth process is frustrating; our top teams can't compete with the top teams of LIGA MX because there salary is 2 x.
    Yeah, forced parity amongst a small group of affluent members that have strict and total control over entry into that group is actually the opposite of "communism style"... :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfans View Post
    I agree that Toronto is not a soccer hotbed either (we are a niche sport here), but then again, we sat through 8 years of crap and still drew more than most teams in the league at the time.
    I strongly disagree with your description of Toronto's love of soccer. I believe Toronto IS a soccer hotbed. The problem is that support for the sport is so very fragmented, by far moreso in than in any other sport (ie. this group of fans follow this league, that group of fans follows that league, etc.). TFC got a parade on a freezing Monday afternoon - a workday - and thousands showed up.

I believe the support for this team will continue to increase as the quality of MLS play improves and more fans of the EPL , Serie A, etc. become persuaded to follow the home club as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    Haha. Not sure if serious:

My son won't stop crying after that disgusting performance. Dogs started barking now too. Household in chaos. Shaking with rage. Just shattered my glass table. Had enough. #DeBoerOut
    That DeBoerout isn't 'real' but the Tweets from their supporters after sure are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what happened in that Red Bulls game? Did they park the bus and get punished, or did Santos just crank it up 3 notches?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They cranked it up in a 10 minute span. That last goal from way down field was the icing on the cake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magmadragon View Post
    They cranked it up in a 10 minute span. That last goal from way down field was the icing on the cake.
    It's sad that MLS teams can still get mauled basically on a whim by Mexican opposition.
    Last edited by James17930; 03-13-2019 at 03:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    It's sad that MLS teams can still get mauled basically on a whim by Mexican opposition.
    It is, but it's just what is to be expected at this stage of the MLS' development.
    Anybody who hoped MLS can compete almost like equals with the Mex league this year, has some seriously rose tinted glasses.
    Maybe 5-6 years from now...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Makes you appreciate how GREAT we were 2017-spring 2018.

Atlanta best team ever over us, my ass. We have single handedly proved how great that season and team was when everyone was healthy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Makes you appreciate how GREAT we were 2017-spring 2018.

Atlanta best team ever over us, my ass. We have single handedly proved how great that season and team was when everyone was healthy.
    I will second that. Kind of love the results after all the crap MLS peeps said about TFC last year after they couldn't get out of the tail spin after the CCL. Makes our run in the CCL more special and it was against tougher competition. Nobody can take that away from that team of 2017. If we went injury free through that tourney we would have won it all but as soon as we were starting Bradley on defence I knew it would be tough but we still almost did it. That team in their top form could have torn up the MLS in 2018 but hey, it didn't happen. Hopefully we get all the pieces gelling for this year and if we do I think we can still do some damage. Look forward to what the team can do this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Agreed. Also: early season form and bad tactical choices by the coach.

Essentially, nearly everything has to go right for MLS teams to keep up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think the CCL needs to start later, even if only by a few weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with 💯%