Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Optimistic Predictions for 2019

So there's some doom and gloom coming from some corners of the TFC universe after losing Gio and VV and not having replaced them yet (as of Feb. 18). Some people think we simply can't compete without them or someone else of their caliber. And while I agree with need some new players (obviously), I think we've almost forgotten all the other positive stuff we have, or could have, going for us, so I've decided to try to enumerate some things here. So here are some things that, if all goes well, will be huge positive steps for TFC in 2019:

Osorio Continues his Rise

Oso had a great break-out year last year. Some were wondering if it was due to maturation and improvement based on playing with more skilled players around him, or if it was because he was fishing for a larger contract. Well, I'm going to say it was the former, and that this year we'll see an even stronger, more dominant Oso who can pitch in ~10+ goals and be even more of a leader on the team, playing a more central role.

The New Backline Comes Together

Last year our defense was awful, so we went out and signed Deleon and Ciman. Them, plus a healthy Moor and Mavinga, will anchor a strong backline that will see us being very difficult to score against. All the kinks will have been worked out in pre-season, and they'll hit the ground running in the CCL and regular season.

Justin Morrow Will Continue to be an Underrated Gem

It might be weird to call Morrow 'underrated,' given that many already see him as one of the best left-backs in the league, but given that he had an off-year last season after setting a career high in 2017, a lot of people have sort of forgotten he's there and that he can continue to be a huge threat for us going forward. Plus, if we play in a 4-3-3, he'll be even more involved in the offense. I see him having another big year, potting another 7-10 goals and causing havoc on the left.

Everyone Will Stay Healthy

This is huge, obviously. If Jozy can stay healthy, and Mavinga can stay healthy, and Moor can come back and be effective, then we are a really damn good team, with or without Gio, or VV, or someone new. I think we may have forgotten that a bit last season when we barely had our first-choice lineup available for most of the year. But Jozy and Mavinga are the two most important guys in this category, especially Mavinga. The defense just isn't the same without him. If he can stay healthy and motivated, it will be huge. The new hybrid pitch will help immensely, too.

We Will Get New Players

I know everyone wants new players yesterday, but we just have to be patient and know that whomever they bring in, be it Pozuelo or other(s), those guys are going to want to come to TFC, but totally committed, and have a huge impact. Plus it's not only Poz to think about here – we can still sign another TAM player, and it'll be interesting to see what we get off of moving van der Weil. We've got a lot to spend, and when we eventually spend it, it's going to be great.

So anyway, I know a lot of people are worried, but don't ignore all the positives which are certainly there, and rally around the shirt and support the guys.

COYR!!
    Last edited by James17930; 02-17-2019 at 07:23 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have always wondered what a healthy Jozy would be capable of for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to add:

1) that Bradley has a good year. Ciman's passing ability out of the back will mean he doesn't have to start every play receiving the ball at the top of our box and he won't have to play CB

2) Shaffelburg will be that young Canadian guy we all hope to see have an impact at TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    I'm going to add:

1) that Bradley has a good year. Ciman's passing ability out of the back will mean he doesn't have to start every play receiving the ball at the top of our box and he won't have to play CB

2) Shaffelburg will be that young Canadian guy we all hope to see have an impact at TFC
    Yes, it would be great to see some of the young players really break out this year, whether it's someone like Shaffelburg, one of the academy players, or someone like Endoh, who's been kicking at the heels for a while now and seems like he's really poised to contribute.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No demotion so no issues, if we crap we just don’t win nothing like 99% of the rest of the teams. If we only a little good we may win a tin pot Canada cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leedsoronto View Post
    No demotion so no issues, if we crap we just don’t win nothing like 99% of the rest of the teams. If we only a little good we may win a tin pot Canada cup.
    I see you failed to read the title of the thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need to defeat cincinnati... avoid the venus fly-trap.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am confident of 2 things this season

Voyageurs win

Keep our unbeaten run against Atlanta

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We will make the playoffs.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    We will make the playoffs.
    Key is just to get in and anything can happen, especially with the new format.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We make it to the CCL semi finals losing to ATL/Monterey

Win V-cup.

We finish 3rd in the conference behind ATL and DC. Win a couple playoff games before bowing out in the conference finals.

Oso has another big year, most notably on the defensive side of the ball and makes a case for being the best two way midfielder in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Yes, it would be great to see some of the young players really break out this year, whether it's someone like Shaffelburg, one of the academy players, or someone like Endoh, who's been kicking at the heels for a while now and seems like he's really poised to contribute.
    What position did Endoh play for TFC II? Somehow I recall it being a move central role. Maybe he'll end up sitting in front of Bradley. It would be crazy if he could pull that off.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Justin Morrow Will Continue to be an Underrated Gem

It might be weird to call Morrow 'underrated,' given that many already see him as one of the best left-backs in the league, but given that he had an off-year last season after setting a career high in 2017, a lot of people have sort of forgotten he's there and that he can continue to be a huge threat for us going forward. Plus, if we play in a 4-3-3, he'll be even more involved in the offense. I see him having another big year, potting another 7-10 goals and causing havoc on the left.
    Amazing what a difference one player can make. As you note, Morrow had an off year last year. For his sake (and ours I guess), I hope that was just due to his injury and he comes back strong this year.