Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I mostly agree with your post, ensco, but I think the bolded areas should be delegated, not run directly by Manning.
    Sure, but the thing is, Manning owns the outcomes, whether he hires someone to do them for him or not. The head sets the strategy, participates and approves the decisions, gets the applause, and faces the music.

In the specific case of Curtis, this is even more true - he had almost no managerial experience. If you left him alone to make big decisions, you don’t get to act surprised at what happens afterwards

(There can be extenuating circumstances- eg when a critical employee is hired away or gets sick)
    Last edited by ensco; 01-11-2022 at 03:42 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning's transfermarket comments are trending today on Soccer reddit.

These comments are gold.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comm..._on_insigne_i/

The big Sam scouting tactic
    FM tactics right here lol.
    Just load the editor and see which player has the highest PA lol
    A lot of people in here laughing at this process, but this is an example of a hands-on president doing research. You may not agree entirely with the research (e.g, going off how marketable a player is vs. how good they are competitively), but damn a lot of clubs here could only dream of having management - a president no less - that was in-tune to the sporting side.
    That's the kind of stuff you do as a kid, building a team writing on paper looking at transfermarkt
    This is what I do on FM. Look at the NTs and throw money at end of contract players.
    Crazy that nobody thought of this before. Outsmarted a whole continent of clubs.
    Dude is playing fifa career mode in real life, Brand exposure +10
    In all seriousness, Football manager has a very extensive database of players and many clubs use it.
    Last edited by Richard; 01-11-2022 at 06:36 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Sure, but the thing is, Manning owns the outcomes, whether he hires someone to do them for him or not. The head sets the strategy, participates and approves the decisions, gets the applause, and faces the music.

In the specific case of Curtis, this is even more true - he had almost no managerial experience. If you left him alone to make big decisions, you don’t get to act surprised at what happens afterwards

(There can be extenuating circumstances- eg when a critical employee is hired away or gets sick)
    Don't disagree there.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Soccer reddit is filled with people who don't realise either

a) they really should be asking themselves the AITA question

b) even if they did, they would get the AITA response wrong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Sorry, but you lost me lol.

Had to google what that is....did not know there was whole sub section for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    I agree whole heartedly with how this went down , this basically fell on Manning, and that Gattuso is hilarious. Well written Mr In between , sounds like you got this Manning joker all figured out.
    ^^My favourite type of post: a credibly explained, highly speculative theory about what happened!
    Section 223 and ensco, as a newbie I appreciate the comments and welcome the kind feedback.
    Section 223... IMO the best 'seats' at BMO; vantage wise. Certainly miss the view from the West Stands towards the east and of Toronto's cityscape since the East Stand upgrade.
    ensco... my catalyst, wait until you read my speculative post about MU/MLSE/TFC/BOGERS. Collecting my thoughts on the matter; hopefully... one day... soon.
    ensco what you said, what you apologized for ... I think you have an idea about my feelings and position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Larry.

Some people here (well, me, anyway)...

...and me...

Boy oh boy, ensco, man on man, step away from the board for a day... talk about going for the jugular!
    What happened to the other thread, other day's, am paraphrasing...
    'Let me collect my thoughts on Manning, maybe, sometime later, in an appropriate thread, I'll let everyone know what I think'.
    Thoughts quick and aplenty. Do not disagree. Well stated.

Points by Oldtimer, as well as, ag futbol, MightyDM, about delegating... sure... agree with...
    But in the end, when your the guy, with a team of underlings, you must supervise meaningfully...
    It's macro-manage v micro-manage, trust but verify, delegate with oversight.
    Manning on occasions seems to wander from this corporate principal for whatever reasons.
    In the end, his fiefdom, his head... he is responsible.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-12-2022 at 10:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These comments are gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Richard great post.

OgtheDim, lol, AITA was the registered user name I was originally going to go with for this RPB Forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am surprised at how much people put on Manning for responsibility. This is corporate, there’re RACI models for a reason. The President is not Responsible for everything. There is an entire team of back office people driving a lot.

For example Manning is not responsible for the academy. He says “make sure we have good players” and then is Informed of progress. There is an entire structure in the academy alone filled with people Responsible and Accountable for various aspects of it.

Grouping the GM and President as the same role is like saying the CEO is just as responsible for all of the COO’s responsibilities. Just doesn’t happen. The CEO (president/manning) brings in a COO (GM/sporting director/Curtis/Bb) to manage the operations.

If the operations start to fall apart, it is the CEO’s responsibility to reassess who is responsible for it. In the same way you don’t fire the COO for bringing in a sales person. You don’t fire the CEO for bringing in a bad COO. You fire the COO if he brings in an entire team of bad personnel. And you fire the CEO after he brings in an entire bad team of executives.

To me, we have to judge manning on the big picture exclusively and we start to assess him if BB shits the bed as much as Curtis did.

I agree with the review, I guess I just think it should be directed to Curtis and others in the back office. Manning saw what we started to see, waited too long though, then acted to correct.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plus Manning is the president of the Argos…

duel role provides more security for the botch Curtis hiring and the attempted retool of an aging squad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have said a few times, months ago, that latest at the end of the 2021 season Manning should have been shown the door (together with his buddy Curtis).

I do vehemently agree to disagree with all those giving a passing note for Manning, and those saying that he has been giving too many other areas to lead/being busy with (like "saving" the Argos, general marketing) to have time/being really responsible for the disaster that 2021 was for TFC.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    I don't think anyone is giving him a pass. I think everyone sees the Curtis hire as a massive failure, as well as giving him enough authority to wreck the team.
    The only question is at what point do you fire a guy? Usually a team president is given 2 GMs failing before they are shown the door. However, is the Curtis disaster enough to let go of Manning after 1 fail? Is there any compensating offset by how well he is correcting things? How would the board see things?

The great thing is that football is a game of opinions and we can have a robust discussion.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    ^
    I don't think anyone is giving him a pass. I think everyone sees the Curtis hire as a massive failure, as well as giving him enough authority to wreck the team.
    The only question is at what point do you fire a guy? Usually a team president is given 2 GMs failing before they are shown the door. However, is the Curtis disaster enough to let go of Manning after 1 fail? Is there any compensating offset by how well he is correcting things? How would the board see things?

The great thing is that football is a game of opinions and we can have a robust discussion.
    After 1 fail….. ahhhh ok. Ensco’s letter above to Larry Tannenbaum spells out all of Manning’s failings. My humble opinion is that Tannenbaum is calling all the shots now, Larry instructed Manning to go out and get a world class name player, “here’s the money”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who would be firing Manning or re-structuring his role if it comes to that, does he report directly to the board or to Michael Friisdahl? Would it be the same for all the team president for that matter. On another related note til this day I do not believe I have ever seen him speak publically on MLSE matters.

Recently I looked at the current makeup of the MLSE board and noticed that Melinda Rogers-Hixon had joined, taking up on of Rogers three seats. Her brother Edward has been on it since day one of the Bell Rogers partnership. Maybe I am putting too much thought into this. But with the Rogers powerplay that has gone on with the two siblings on opposite sides of this fight, could this cause issues for the board? I have always wondered if many things on the day to day basis are bounced off Larry before it went to the full board, a sounding board of sorts?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything seems to have come apart by the seams the last few years, Manning has to be on very thin ice. And he should be, he decided to sit back and see how things played out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillos View Post
    I am surprised at how much people put on Manning for responsibility. This is corporate, there’re RACI models for a reason. The President is not Responsible for everything. There is an entire team of back office people driving a lot.

For example Manning is not responsible for the academy. He says “make sure we have good players” and then is Informed of progress. There is an entire structure in the academy alone filled with people Responsible and Accountable for various aspects of it.

Grouping the GM and President as the same role is like saying the CEO is just as responsible for all of the COO’s responsibilities. Just doesn’t happen. The CEO (president/manning) brings in a COO (GM/sporting director/Curtis/Bb) to manage the operations.

If the operations start to fall apart, it is the CEO’s responsibility to reassess who is responsible for it. In the same way you don’t fire the COO for bringing in a sales person. You don’t fire the CEO for bringing in a bad COO. You fire the COO if he brings in an entire team of bad personnel. And you fire the CEO after he brings in an entire bad team of executives.

To me, we have to judge manning on the big picture exclusively and we start to assess him if BB shits the bed as much as Curtis did.

I agree with the review, I guess I just think it should be directed to Curtis and others in the back office. Manning saw what we started to see, waited too long though, then acted to correct.
    Been thinking about your post for a while; brewing on it. Decided to circle back and comment.
    May not be understanding the gist correctly; we may be agreeing with each other in our own ways after all.
    Without a doubt, in a ‘typical’ corporate flow chart- RACI models- sense I would have to agree with you and all your points.
    However, I am just not so sure MLSE is ‘typical’ in that sense; it is nuanced.

In a ‘Sporting’ side verses a ‘Business’ daily operational side I believe Manning’s focus could be much narrower.
    His oversight could be more immediate, clear and constant then most would presume.
    That is why I would hold Manning essentially accountable for any and all on-field product issues.
    Thus his chances or strikes should be in check; more limited.

IMO, what sets this organization apart from a ‘regular’ business, not in principle but in pragmatics, is that it is a corporate umbrella entity consisting of several local horizontally integrated ‘sporting’ franchises. A unique resource business with and often relying on some intangible metrics. Much of its operational aspects seem to me to be top down siloed with a lot of cross-sectional synergies and integration. To be honest, in such a case, I do not think Manning or any of the other team presidents are too devoted to or dealing with the daily grind for instance of merchandising, concessions, facility outsourcing, marketing, ticket sales or advertising etc.; not part of their immediate duties or mandate. MLSE would have its own departments and leaders for such; across the umbrella. Although, it is common sense that any presidents would be apart of, have regular input, receive reports and be updated through meetings on those matters; all within each owns’ purview.

IMO, in such a set up, the president of each sports franchise team’s primary concern is really the on-field product et al.; on a sharp sliding scale of the professional team down to any subsidiary feeders. On-field product being the engine that drives all other aspects. My understanding of how sports franchises run seems that they involve a basic chain of command and responsibility… Ownership, Team President, Team General Manager and Team Coach; with some of those levels in descendance with their own exponential work entourages. This is evident in many of the cases of poor performance and the proverbial ‘cleaning of house’. Usually, the Coach and his immediate team, then the General Manager and maybe a few immediate assistants, while less frequently, the President or all three or some sort of combination there of; depending on the situation and sport.

Accordingly, for me, Manning must be judged not only on the big picture but the details as well... regarding the on-field product.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-24-2022 at 12:22 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reposted from the roster spec thread

Ok, lets go back a bit & look at the various FA & the like signings & think about all this for a moment (not going to look at homegrowns etc)

In terms of just getting along with people signings

Caldwell - good
    Earnshaw - good
    Cesar - good
    Laba - good
    Rey - middling but rumours of
    Elmer - not so good
    Urruti - unknown

Morrow - good
    Jackson - middling
    Gilberto - good
    Defoe - the POSTER BOY FOR NOT FITTING IN
    Bradley - the POSTER BOY FOR ALL THINGS GOOD ABOUT A TEAMMATE
    Nakajima-Farran - bad
    Warner - good
    Oduro - middling
    Creavalle - good

Delgado - good
    Bono - good
    Jozy - good
    Zavs - good
    Perquis - middling but rumours of
    Cheyrou - good
    Seba - good
    Kantari - middling
    Williams - good
    Herc Gomez - good

Moor - good
    Beitashour good
    Johnson - good
    Irwin - good
    Ricketts - good

Mavinga - good
    Vasquez - good
    Hernandez - good
    Hasler - good (the guy is now a TFC meme for caring during dissapointment)

VDW - BAD
    Aketke - bad
    Bakero - good
    Auro - good

DeLeon - good (apart from vax thing)
    Ciman - good
    Boyd - unknown
    Westberg - good
    Pozuelo - good
    Laryea - good
    Gonzalez - good
    Gallardo - middling but rumours of bad training habits
    Mullins - good
    Benezet - good

Piatti - good

Soteldo - rumours of bad
    Lawrence - unknown
    Dwyer - unknown

Point is looking at this that MOST of the people signed have gotten along with their teammates. TFC usually doesn't sign people who are disruptive. But, when they do...oh boy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I think 98% of pro athletes know how to get along. Their livelihoods depend on it.

It's the stars, former stars, highly paid or formerly highly paid, that have their FU money, that cause problems. vdW had banked millions and he didn’t give a crap. Giovinco was uncoachable but nobody cared, because he did try/care (and there is a pretty serious risk that is still true). Jozy, well, probably the same as Gio (no need to discuss ad nauseum)

MB is the exception, not the rule.

(There is real risk with Insigne and Salcedo along these lines too.)
    Last edited by ensco; 01-29-2022 at 01:28 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a fireable offense. Zero excuse for something like this to happen.

We are led to believe that TFC gave Jozy 4 years, and included a player option near the end?

Both of these scenarios(player/team option exercise) is incredibly incompetent on managements part.

Manning should have been packing his bag along with Curtis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a fireable offense. Zero excuse for something like this to happen.

We are led to believe that TFC gave Jozy 4 years, and included a player option near the end?

Both of these scenarios(player/team option exercise) is incredibly incompetent on managements part.

Manning should have been packing his bag along with Curtis.

strongly agree- tried to strong arm Seba- when standard practice is to resolve situation with 1 year remaining - seba signed else where- manning panicked - over paid jozy-.

Dont kid yourself if manning wasnt aware of curtis and armas plan and how they planned to handle strong personalities- tried to save face to have jozy return for what reason? probably thought TFC could still make the playoffs.

His ego almost burned this club to the ground. regardless if there is a team of others involved, his ultimate decision making and trust into hiring without even doing any due diligence is huge red flag.

at this point he escaped the any backlash.

Signs 1 big star and increased pricing by 43% during the highest inflation era .lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really think Manning is in "charge" anymore. Not in the true meaning of the word.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I can tell you he is in Austin. Was just on his flight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did Bill Manning eventually... finally... actually listen to the/a supporter/s? Or at least pass along that request/plea to Bob?

Add some Jeru The Damaja - Come Clean -esque beats and what a melancholic loop!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Did Bill Manning eventually... finally... actually listen to the/a supporter/s? Or at least pass along that request/plea to Bob?

Add some Jeru The Damaja - Come Clean -esque beats and what a melancholic loop!

a guy in math class is the reason TFC got two new goalies? lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Andrea D'Amico Philosophy/School... 'How to convince a club to acquire a footballer'... Is this how the Lolo and Fede deals went down?

Translation: Paraphrased at parts.

So as an example... 'We Team Croquetas has a player injury. We need your assistance. We need a replacement in January. Well, I have so many (to offer)... What do we do? Call you or you call us? What happens? Call you. Tell you, you are (your club is) great, but with this player you could be so much... also because there is a 'vulnous'? (Czech- vulnerability) with your team and as a result only with this (player) I can give you (will you address)... Then either you accept the offer in the first 5 minutes or we (just) go to the restaurant (enjoy ourselves) and never talk about it (the offer) again.

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 02-07-2023 at 09:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He seems like a nice person.

I'm not sure however that anyone should, within two season, have admitted a) his transfer policy was "find me the most expensive Italian" who's available and b) his marketing policy is 'let a podcaster I like design our home kit.

It's not quite Nathan Jones level naive, because that guy is also a little loony, but it's right up there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He seems like a nice person.

I'm not sure however that anyone should, within two season, have admitted a) his transfer policy was "find me the most expensive Italian" who's available and b) his marketing policy is 'let a podcaster I like design our home kit.

It's not quite Nathan Jones level naive, because that guy is also a little loony, but it's right up there.
    Agree. Don't know if Manning's had to search or found his own personal jesus. Apart from the club's on pitch match/season performance, if gate is the next metric, then a happy MLSE/TFC Board is life/continued employment for Manning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Agree. Don't know if Manning's had to search or found his own personal jesus. Apart from the club's on pitch match/season performance, if gate is the next metric, then a happy MLSE/TFC Board is life/continued employment for Manning.
    Given how wealthy they are, it's a hard position to fail out of. Even in losing years -- ala the Leafs, for decades -- people show up. It's a megacity with 10M in the immediate draw area. As long as the level is perceived to suit the city, people will come.

If they had an NFL franchise, they could lose every game for decades, and it would still sell out the season ticket allotment.

The problem right now isn't utter incompetence, it's just reactive incompetence. Everything has to be fixed. They never make the right call right out of the gate. The jerseys are getting poorer, their design treated like a farcical afterthought rather than a key compontent of marketing. The squad has been in terrible shape since 2019 but the recognition to a) get rid of Ali and b) bring in some experience took two more years. Then there's the ridiculous overpaying in certain areas of the roster, making long-term roster management more difficult. Communications are an afterthought, rather than a planned, precise pursuit.

This isn't run like a laser-focused business. It's run like an NGO or a branch of a mega-corporation that prints money and consequently has forgotten about real quality. The newspaper industry was full of such organizations when they had an ad space monopoly in print. IT's a big part of why they became so ripe for takeover, leading to the narrowing of ownership, oligopolical market conditions that allowed massive cuts to offset purchase debt... followed by the internet, with unlimited space.

And now most of them are either closed or bleeding money.

Of course, TFC is decades from facing anything like that, with much m ore underlying financial clout, support and diversity. But it's still being run in the same ad hoc, haphazard, emotionally based manner.

That's how it feels most of the time.
    Last edited by jloome; 02-19-2023 at 11:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    ... The problem right now isn't utter incompetence, it's just reactive incompetence. Everything has to be fixed. They never make the right call right out of the gate. The jerseys... a farcical afterthought rather than a key component of marketing. The squad.. the recognition to a) get rid of Ali and b) bring in some experience took two more years. Then there's the ridiculous overpaying in certain areas of the roster, making long-term roster management more difficult. Communications are an afterthought, rather than a planned, precise pursuit... This isn't run like a laser-focused business. It's run like an NGO or a branch of a mega-corporation that prints money and consequently has forgotten about real quality. That's how it feels most of the time.
    Well said. I share your sentiments; at rare times even with a shudder of dread at the thought. Manning's continued survival is mystifying/stupefying. Which core corporate initiatives he chooses to discuss/elaborate upon, as well as, the how and why he just admits to them, makes me wonder at moments if he is the 'Peter Sellers' of MLS Presidents.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 02-20-2023 at 07:14 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I agree that Manning should be accountable for many things, with Bobby being sporting director and manager I'd think the results this year are a lot more in his court. He's had a lot of runway to get this season right and thus his own evaluation thread?