Default 2019 Canadian Championship

Format (TFC with bye to Semi's, Expanded to 13 Teams):

Details:

https://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-...-1&language=en

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm surprised that they granted Ottawa a bye. They're essentially admitting the CPL will be a notch below the USL, when ultimately they want to claim the CPL is a tier above the USL and have Ottawa join the CPL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It makes sense for this year given that Ottawa is an established team and CPL teams haven't played yet, I assume things will be tweaked in following years

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    I'm surprised that they granted Ottawa a bye. They're essentially admitting the CPL will be a notch below the USL, when ultimately they want to claim the CPL is a tier above the USL and have Ottawa join the CPL
    I don't think they are admitting anything, just using the seedlings based off of last season. The MLS teams are 1,2 and 3 with Ottawa 4th. In my mind they easiest most direct way to do this would have been a 10-8-4-2 format. The first round being the 7 CPL teams, Ottawa and the 2 D3 sides with the winners joining The 3 MLS teams in quarter finals, but I am pretty sure Toronto would have really pushed hard to enter as late as possible. The format will change in the coming years as more teams join the CPL and they hopefully figure out a way to involve more D3/amateur sides.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    ...In my mind they easiest most direct way to do this would have been a 10-8-4-2 format. The first round being the 7 CPL teams, Ottawa and the 2 D3 sides with the winners joining The 3 MLS teams in quarter finals, but I am pretty sure Toronto would have really pushed hard to enter as late as possible...
    I think it makes sense to have the winner from the previous year get a bye to enter later than everyone else, since they would have also had to play other extra games (CCL) already earlier in the same season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    I don't think they admit that at all. I think it's just about past results (putting TFC ahead) and then establishment of the franchises.

Also thinking that they plan to give the top 4 in CPL each season an advantage and this design supports that. Once Ottawa is moved over, I'd expect the CPL winner starts in R3, 2-4 start in R2, everyone else starts in R1.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm like, so existed to see what this graph looks like in 10 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think it makes more sense to have Vaughn and blainville do a play in game and then the 8 cpl teams plus that winner. Then the MLS teams enter in the next round. Forge FC getting a bye is nonsense. But still can't wait to see TFC out west to battle Pacific FC for the title

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the reason for having four rounds is to get the media and clubs to expect this every year and plan schedules accordingly. Nobody wants a format that changes every two or three years...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I think the reason for having four rounds is to get the media and clubs to expect this every year and plan schedules accordingly. Nobody wants a format that changes every two or three years...
    That's a good point.

It might look messy this year, but maybe it'll make more sense in years to come.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    That's a good point.

It might look messy this year, but maybe it'll make more sense in years to come.
    The format is going to change as the CPL grows, I really do hope it involves into something similar to the US Open with all the pro teams with various amateur teams from across the country.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    The format is going to change as the CPL grows, I really do hope it involves into something similar to the US Open with all the pro teams with various amateur teams from across the country.
    The US Open Cup is pretty cool and should be something the CSA tries to emulate. Every year is seems there is a semi-pro team making a cinderella run and knocking off a few pro teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post
    The US Open Cup is pretty cool and should be something the CSA tries to emulate. Every year is seems there is a semi-pro team making a cinderella run and knocking off a few pro teams.
    I think that is the end goal is to have it run similar to the US Open Cup. The format will be adjusted as the CPL grows. I hope that eventually it will creep down and involve semi-pro teams from across the country but for now it is better to walk than run.