Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2019 TFC Schedule

The new schedule has been announced. The schedule seems pretty balanced but there are a quite a few instances with 2 matches per week. There is a stretch where they play 5 games between May 4 and May 18. Assuming TFC advance in the Champions League, the schedule could have a few more occurrences with multiple matches in a week.

Things could get really congested once the 2019 Canadian Championship is announced. Last year the tourney was played between mid-July and mid-August under the old format. A new format could see a few more games depending how they handle Canadian Premier League teams.

Roster depth and avoiding injuries will be key again this year!

Notable Dates:
    Champions League Leg 1 - Tuesday, February 19, 8 pm at Indepiendente
    Champions League Leg 2 - Tuesday, February 26 at BMO

Season opener - Saturday, March 2, at 1 pm at Philadelphia Union
    Home opener - Sunday, March 17 at 7:30 pm versus New England

Toronto FC will play 19 matches on Saturdays, five on both Sundays and Wednesdays, four on Fridays and one on Thursday. At home, TFC will play seven matches on Saturdays, four on Sundays and three on both Wednesdays and Fridays.

Schedule Annoucement:
    https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/0...eason-schedule

Downloadable Schedule:
    https://www.torontofc.ca/schedule

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bah! They schedule a home game at the same time as Iron Maiden at the Amphitheatre Sat Aug 10.

Well that's one game I gotta miss this year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magmadragon View Post
    Bah! They schedule a home game at the same time as Iron Maiden at the Amphitheatre Sat Aug 10.

Well that's one game I gotta miss this year.
    Iron Maiden? If you sit in the right spot in the stands, perhaps you can hear the concert and watch the game!

Gosh ... a holiday Good Friday game ... and kick-off is at 8 pm? #fail

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Iron Maiden? If you sit in the right spot in the stands, perhaps you can hear the concert and watch the game!
    Nah no way in hell am I missing being in the pit for that show lol. My old man gets to go to a game this year.

But on a more serious note, if we go all the way in CCL, April and May are going to be brutal with 2 a week games for about 2 months. Add in an unknown number of Voyageurs games later in the summer and our depth is really in for a test.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A positive: the number of games played in the summer is higher than the two previous seasons.

MLS Regular Season Summer
    Mar Apr May June July Aug Sept Oct Total Jun-Jul-Aug % of total
    2007 0 1 3 3 1 3 2 2 15 7 47%
    2008 0 2 4 2 1 2 3 1 15 5 33%
    2009 0 4 3 3 1 1 1 2 15 5 33%
    2010 0 2 2 2 3 3 2 1 15 8 53%
    2011 1 4 3 3 1 2 1 2 17 6 35%
    2012 2 2 2 2 3 2 2 2 17 7 41%
    2013 2 3 1 2 3 2 3 1 17 7 41%
    2014 1 1 3 1 4 2 3 2 17 7 41%
    2015 0 0 3 3 1 4 3 3 17 8 47%
    2016 0 0 4 1 4 3 3 2 17 8 47%
    2017 1 3 3 2 2 2 3 1 17 6 35%
    2018 2 2 4 0 2 2 3 2 17 4 24%
    2019 2 3 3 2 3 2 1 1 17 7 41%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ugh...
    independiente on my daughters bday.
    home opener on St Patricks day.
    a lot of spring home games (april!)
    Cincinnati saturday night middle of the summer
    5 of last 7 games are on the road.

Enough griping...
    We have a team and we the season starts relatively soon!
    CNE game is vs MTL
    Maybe we have a chance to knock CLB and Bez from a playoff spot last game of the season!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something else to note is that we are playing through the June and September international windows. The June one is super weird since we don't have anything scheduled for the following week. That one could have been avoided.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But on a more serious note, if we go all the way in CCL, April and May are going to be brutal with 2 a week games for about 2 months. Add in an unknown number of Voyageurs games later in the summer and our depth is really in for a test.
    Yeah ... though it looks like we have no games scheduled between March 2 and March 17.

The Champions League quarter-finals are scheduled between March 5 and March 14. If we get through the Round of 16, then we play the winner of Toluca versus Kansas City.

April/May could be tough if we go all the way, with 4 Champions league games in April and 4 league games scheduled between April 6 and April 27.

Gosh, with March 29, May 4, May 8, May 11, May 15, and May 18 league games, could be 14 matches in 51 days! Last year we only 12 matches in 50 days from March 30 to May 18.

Something else to note is that we are playing through the June and September international windows. The June one is super weird since we don't have anything scheduled for the following week. That one could have been avoided.
    The following week, when we do have the weekend off, is the first weekend of the Gold Cup.

But not much of a Gold Cup break. In fact, we are playing both the same days as The USA is playing their second and third group games!
    Last edited by nfitz; 01-07-2019 at 05:46 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Night games in March. If we go deep into CCL we'll have 4 or 5 of them. Two of them voluntary!

I am not going to night games in March unless they I have to (ie they are CCL games)

Why do they keep choosing to do this? They should be desperate to avoid this. TV strategy I suspect. Some sort of theory on “exposure” (the actual numbers don’t justify prime time) is more important than player safety or winning, to say nothing of fan experience.

There is a direct correlation between severe cold and injury risk.

They are going to be banged up again going into that huge stretch of April and May games described above. Guaranteed.

Goddammit.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-07-2019 at 05:59 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah ... though it looks like we have no games scheduled between March 2 and March 17.

The Champions League quarter-finals are scheduled between March 5 and March 14. If we get through the Round of 16, then we play the winner of Toluca versus Kansas City.

April/May could be tough if we go all the way, with 4 Champions league games in April and 4 league games scheduled between April 6 and April 27.

Gosh, with March 29, May 4, May 8, May 11, May 15, and May 18 league games, could be 14 matches in 51 days! Last year we only 12 matches in 50 days from March 30 to May 18.
    Yeah it's gonna be wild first 3 months.

The following week, when we do have the weekend off, is the first weekend of the Gold Cup.

But not much of a Gold Cup break. In fact, we are playing both the same days as The USA is playing their second and third group games!
    I completely forgot about the Gold Cup!

Looks like the Argos play at home the following night after our CNE game against Montreal. My condolences to the grounds crew. Not as bad the inverse at least.

Also it looks like the Argos have 2 home games scheduled in October. Assuming we play properly, I'm curious to see how that will work under the new playoff format.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So less than a month ago it gets announced that the home opener is at 1:30 p.m., and now it's announced that it's at 7:30 p.m.?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also it looks like the Argos have 2 home games scheduled in October. Assuming we play properly, I'm curious to see how that will work under the new playoff format.
    The first one on Friday October 11th is during the international break and playoffs don't beging until October 16 - though there could be a national team game at BMO during that period.

The second Argos game on October 26 looks more troublesome. With 4 rounds of MLS Cup playoffs, no double-legs, and 4 weekends to play, that does look as though it's a potential conflict, if TFC has a home quarter-final game.

Gosh, with the new format, I guess a team could make MLS Cup and not have any home play-off games. That seems unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by GBV View Post
    So less than a month ago it gets announced that the home opener is at 1:30 p.m., and now it's announced that it's at 7:30 p.m.?
    Good catch - I missed that change.

Well that sucks ... a 7:30 pm Sunday night game in winter? It's this kind of unnecessary garbage that makes me want to give up season tickets.
    Last edited by nfitz; 01-07-2019 at 06:28 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wish we had LAFC at home this year. Cinci will be interesting. I wonder what the away support will be like. Here and us there.

Wish I had more time off. Panama away is beaconing. At least the wait isn't long for the home leg and let this tourney get started!

I guess this year we aren't looking to repeat but for the VCup.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...Looks like the Argos play at home the following night after our CNE game against Montreal. My condolences to the grounds crew...
    The Aug. 25 Argo "home" game will supposedly be played somewhere in Atlantic Canada, not at BMO Field.
    http://www.cfl.ca/2018/12/20/new-tou...le-highlights/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heepster View Post
    The Aug. 25 Argo "home" game will supposedly be played somewhere in Atlantic Canada, not at BMO Field.
    http://www.cfl.ca/2018/12/20/new-tou...le-highlights/
    Good eye

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first one on Friday October 11th is during the international break and playoffs don't beging until October 16 - though there could be a national team game at BMO during that period.

The second Argos game on October 26 looks more troublesome. With 4 rounds of MLS Cup playoffs, no double-legs, and 4 weekends to play, that does look as though it's a potential conflict, if TFC has a home quarter-final game.

Gosh, with the new format, I guess a team could make MLS Cup and not have any home play-off games. That seems unfortunate.
    Right I forgot about the October break. Playoffs are even more compressed than I originally thought.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Night games in March. If we go deep into CCL we'll have 4 or 5 of them. Two of them voluntary!

I am not going to night games in March unless they I have to (ie they are CCL games)

Why do they keep choosing to do this? They should be desperate to avoid this. TV strategy I suspect. Some sort of theory on “exposure” (the actual numbers don’t justify prime time) is more important than player safety or winning, to say nothing of fan experience.

There is a direct correlation between severe cold and injury risk.

They are going to be banged up again going into that huge stretch of April and May games described above. Guaranteed.

Goddammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by GBV View Post
    Unnecessary night games in March, what a friggin joke, after our awful injury issues last year! In fact, home opener is still posted as 1:30pm, Sun. March 17th at this link:
    https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/1...019-mls-season

Now they moved the home opener to Sun. 7:30pm, total garbage.

Excessive early-season home games, especially in the evening, have been my pet peeve for years. Generally the early season home tickets are pretty well worthless: I can't even give them away most of the time. The weather at the following evening games will most likely be crappy:
    - Feb & March CCL games, weekday evenings, but not much choice there.
    - Sun March 17 7:30pm home (should be afternoon)
    - Fri March 29 8pm home (should be Sat or Sun afternoon)
    - Fri April 19 8pm home (Easter Saturday afternoon would be better than Good Friday night)
    - Wed. May 15 8pm home

Even end of May / early June it's often still pretty cold down by the lake in the evening:
    - Sun May 26 7:30pm home: Why not in the afternoon?
    - Fri June 7 8pm home: why not Sat. or Sun afternoon?

Forget viewership, are the TV stations just trying to plug gaps in their schedule?

But one huge improvement compared to previous years: we have a few more summer home games, and they're all in the evening. Woohoo! Some of our summer afternoon games in the past years were awful: playing or watching a game in the sun with a humidex of 35 or more doesn't make sense.

Same goes for the summer away games: all in the evening, yippee!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks pretty similar to me as last year in terms of the weekend/weekday mix (I am not counting CCL or Can Champ as those dates are pretty much the same mid-week dates every year) -- I thought it would be worse given all of the schedule warnings of more weekdays, but we still get 11 weekend games (7 Saturdays and 4 Sundays this year as opposed to 8 Saturdays and 3 Sundays last year) and 6 weekday games (3 Wednesdays and 3 Fridays this year as opposed to 2 Wednesdays and 4 Fridays last year) which was the same breakdown as last year (In 2017 we actually had 8 weeknights and 9 weekends for our MLS home schedule, so its not like its gotten worse). The Good Friday game is the same awful scheduled date that it was in 2018 as well. We get a better mix of June, July and August games in my opinion as opposed to last year. We get 5 afternoons instead of 6 and one Ex game instead of 2 this year (not major differences). I don't love the switch from 1:30 to 7:30 for the opener but it's a must attend either way for my daughter and I, as I haven't missed a home opener yet and she hasn't since about year 5 when she was old enough to start coming along.

At the end of the day, if the soccer is good (ie. we stay healthy), it will be easy to find the time to come whenever the game is scheduled, if it's a repeat of last year's regular season the games will be harder to attend irrespective of the date and weather (we sat through some horrendous weather dates for CCL last year and it was some of the best soccer they played all year for at least 2 of those games (Tigres/CA), and frankly we are used to (OK fortunate enough for two years straight) sitting outside in December so it's not like this is new ground for us --- compression will be an issue for all MLS teams in CCL at the beginning of the year, and the fact that the season is ending 3 weeks earlier will test the rest of the league too -- depth will be tested for everyone......

As for scheduling of Friday nights and weeknights early in the year (which does suck but has been done for years frankly with many Friday nights historically in March-May) --- I am guessing that if the Leafs (and Raptors) make any sort of run into mid to late May (heaven forbid June), that the avoidance of weekends (Saturday Nights and Sunday Afternoons) is not an accident as the networks know that Saturday and Sunday is going to be filled with hockey/basketball playoffs.....I agree that the two March games could be weekend afternoons (my preference), but once you get to mid April and into early June the NHL playoffs tend to scare off networks putting programming into obvious competition with those games.
    Last edited by tfcfans; 01-07-2019 at 10:26 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To give them credit, they did make the CCL quarters work (assuming we get through Panama, knocking on wood) as the next legs would be Mar 5-7 and Mar 12-14. No big conflict with our Mar 2 and Mar 17 games there.

If we get to the semis and finals, we will then have to play twice a week right through April. We would almost certainly be looking to move at least one league game in there.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love the 7:30 opener , ��, crazy, hopefully old man winter doesn’t decide to show up , but why 8:00 PM on early wed night games , for people working in the city they’ll have stick around ? $$$ but more importantly one might get home kinda late on a work night and I guess they don’t care about kids showing up . And a Sunday night game at 7:30 , nice Monday . No sunshine this year ? Attendance will definitely not increase . Be interesting to see at the end of the season attendance figures and their excuses .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    To give them credit, they did make the CCL quarters work (assuming we get through Panama, knocking on wood) as the next legs would be Mar 5-7 and Mar 12-14. No big conflict with our Mar 2 and Mar 17 games there.

If we get to the semis and finals, we will then have to play twice a week right through April. We would almost certainly be looking to move at least one league game in there.
    This year we have 2 home matches scheduled between the CCL semi final and Final 1st/2nd legs. So we have flexibility to move them both.

Last year we moved home DC but Houston away was nixed by them I believe
    Last edited by Redpunkfiddle; 01-07-2019 at 11:16 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This schedule looks like it was made by people with cottages. Only 3 Saturday home games the entire summer. I am not a cottage person and like my summer Saturday games. Not surprised though. Seems to always be that way most years.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    This schedule looks like it was made by people with cottages. Only 3 Saturday home games the entire summer. I am not a cottage person and like my summer Saturday games. Not surprised though. Seems to always be that way most years.
    Some of this is scheduling with other things in the city as well, and getting out of the way of events coming in to the Ex (Indy, CNE).
    Although this year it appears that while TFC is booted out for the Indy set up we have two home game in quick succession afterwards (July 17 & 20)
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The last three seasons has seen a drop in weekend games. Like last year, only 11 of 17 games will be played on Saturday or Sunday. Back in the early seasons most games were played on Saturdays. We've never played a regular season game on a Monday or Tuesday. Not sure what has spurred the Friday night games these last three seasons. (tables best seen on a computer - might look like crap on a phone)
    MLS Regular Season Weekend
    Wed Thurs Fri Sat Sun Total Sat-Sun % of total
    2007 2 1 9 3 15 12 80%
    2008 1 1 12 1 15 13 87%
    2009 2 12 1 15 13 87%
    2010 2 12 1 15 13 87%
    2011 3 14 17 14 82%
    2012 4 13 17 13 76%
    2013 2 1 14 17 14 82%
    2014 2 14 1 17 15 88%
    2015 3 12 2 17 14 82%
    2016 3 11 3 17 14 82%
    2017 3 5 7 2 17 9 53%
    2018 2 4 8 3 17 11 65%
    2019 3 3 7 4 17 11 65%

In terms of match start times, MLSE seems be to experimenting all the time. A few years ago, a third of our games took place in the early afternoon (12pm-2pm), whereby this coming season, we are playing none - the earliest start time is 3pm. 12 of 17 games are night (7pm-8pm) games this year. In 2009, we only played 3 of 15 at night. Fun fact: a regular season match at never started at 2:30 or 6:30.

MLS Regular Season Early Afternoon Afternoon Evening
    12:00 12:30 1:00 1:30 2:00 2:30 3:00 3:30 4:00 4:30 5:00 5:30 6:00 6:30 7:00 7:30 8:00 Total 12-2:30 % of total 3-6:30 % of total 7-8 % of total
    2007 1 1 1 7 3 2 15 2 13% 8 53% 5 33%
    2008 1 7 3 2 2 15 1 7% 10 67% 4 27%
    2009 1 4 6 1 2 1 15 1 7% 11 73% 3 20%
    2010 1 2 1 7 3 1 15 4 27% 7 47% 4 27%
    2011 2 1 1 1 1 7 2 2 17 5 29% 1 6% 11 65%
    2012 3 1 1 1 1 4 1 4 1 17 5 29% 7 41% 5 29%
    2013 2 1 3 5 1 1 3 1 17 6 35% 7 41% 4 24%
    2014 2 2 1 2 2 2 4 1 1 17 4 24% 7 41% 6 35%
    2015 3 4 6 2 2 17 3 18% 10 59% 4 24%
    2016 1 3 2 11 17 0 0% 4 24% 13 76%
    2017 1 1 2 1 3 6 3 17 1 6% 4 24% 12 71%
    2018 1 1 1 1 2 1 3 7 17 1 6% 5 29% 11 65%
    2019 3 1 1 5 7 17 0 0% 5 29% 12 71%

I would love to see the concession sales data by day of week and start time. Weather plays a role on attendance, which of course impact sales. But I'm sure the day of the week, and start time of the game have a huge impact on sales too. Sales per attendee would be an interesting measure. I'm far more likely to buy food at BMO during a 12-2 game. My beer consumption is pretty steady though, independent of day/time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is a late-night game on a Sunday a "weekend game"? I'm fine with Sunday afternoon games (or Saturday evening games). But Sunday evenings? Worst of both worlds - especially in the winter!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One factor in setting times is television. In 2007, CBC carried the games and probably didn't pay anything for the rights, so times were set for the attendees. In 2019, MLS broadcast rights are valuable, and TV calls the shots for their scheduling needs. So 8pm weeknight games get set when Torontonians would probably prefer 7pm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^“One factor”? Seen who owns the team? It's the dominant factor. Maybe the only factor.

TFC rights aren’t worth much per se, excepting playoffs and similar, their ratings are perpetually abysmal, really... but they are programming for TSN/SN and ... that is what they are to their owners, and that is the only reason why we risk our players by playing games in winter at night

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why 8pm though, we are use to seeing the other leagues start at 7 or 730

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From a fans POV, 8pm is actually better if you're coming from outside the city. As getting caught up with traffic for Jays/whatever is at the ACC, isn't fun. As well the games won't finish around same time right?

Likely don't want to directly compete with same start times on TV. Very delusional in me, but maybe they think that when the Jays start losing, people will switch the channel? ahaha (im not being serious here)

Something to ask at next town hall or something, I'm not against it though. Doesn't make a big deal, even if im outside the city.
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The start times are all TV.
    MLS is TSN's only full season soccer property at the moment (losing Premier League next year, Euro/World Cup every other year) so they are setting times to maximize advertising dollars in to them (not only just for MLS but for other properties they own as well - Home opener moved to 7:30pm probably to avoid majority of the end of the first rounds of March Madness games that day)
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018